ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Steve is also my go to man. Absolutely crazy the network of good people he has under his belt. Seriously seriously knollegeable too.

He has my Cosworth YB at the moment for all the pre assembly machining and modifications.

Andy, we will see her on the Tarmac again soon mate.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Engine built by Steve I hear? Good strong reliable engine on its way then fella. :wink:
Indeed mate, he comes highly recommended. I only spoke to him briefly before when I bought my Quaife but he spent some time talking cars and he's clearly a knowledgable and passionate guy when it comes to performance motors. The confidence that people have in his work (and his results) are good enough for me :)

He's also undertaking a full nut and bolt restoration on his original ford RS200. This cars being built up with the intention of it being used as well! No trailer queens need apply, but it will still be concourse condition.
A 600bhp plus monster I hear. It will be EPIC. :) Especially as he's going to actually use it and enjoy it!

Good news, sounds like it's in safe hand's.
Which means that I can sleep at night. [emoji23]
Rest easy my friend ;)

An option mate?

Andy, we will see her on the Tarmac again soon mate.
I know mate :) I'm hearing good things and obviously appreciate the input, help and advice. As I said to Dan I've sold the ITB's and ECU and have some money ready to start the ball rolling asap (although I obviously appreciate you guys are busy and have your own lives, work, etc. to deal with!)

Well I popped on here to look at something else and noticed your build thread I was hoping to see lots of photos of the Trophy on the road and track by now and have to say I'm shocked to read it's still off the road!! I do believe it's been 4 years since you was last at my house telling us about your new mods and then the next day the car developed problems and well I don't think you've really driven it since have you?!!

I hope whoever has it now can once and for all fix it for you seems you've had so much bad luck and it's cost you so much money for it still to be off the road and you not have any enjoyment. Didn't you buy the car late 2007? It seems most of its time has been in the garage.... Maybe time to have a serious rethink... I would have thought you would have moved onto something else by now anyway you should be in that RS4 now you have few years on your driving licence

Good luck with it all fingers crossed for you

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Good luck with it all fingers crossed for you
Cheers Lyn.

Yeah, it's off the road again and frustrated doesn't even come close to how I'm feeling. In hindsight (a wonderful thing, eh?) I would have ditched the car a couple years back had I known the troubles that lay ahead. Sadly, at that time, I had a choice of either getting another car or throwing money at the Clio and trying to make it a little more 'special'. Obviously I chose the latter and it's certainly a 'special' Clio! I made that choice and, rightly or wrongly, now have too much invested in it. That's the reason I'm giving it one more go. I've come this far so... LOL! But I'm sick of the whole NA / ITB route (despite how much I love them) so it's time for a change. Thank goodness the Type-R is still bullet proof.

The annoying thing is that I could have a nice RS4 on the drive now had I not thrown so much at this cursed thing. I still entertain the idea of owning one now and again. Especially as it's about 120 quid cheaper a year to insure than the Clio (God knows how they work that one out). Oh well, c'est la vie.

Andy its a 10 year old car strip the bugger sell it off and have done with it, you will never get that money back no matter which why you look at it now and the grief it must have caused you over the last 5 years.. (that's were all your grey hairs have come from.. you'll be going bald next!!)... $hit I think I have probably driven that Trophy more then you in your early days of ownership (told you get a Honda lol)

Ha ha good job you picked another girlfriend with a good reliable Civic Type R and she lets you drive it... I still wouldn't let you near mine you're cursed I reckon ;)
I came on here looking for a 182 to use as a spare car/track dirt cheap and I still think they are the best all rounder... I really should be getting a 4x4 but who wants to be sensible.

I wont be at Action Day again this year as it falls on the endurance race weekend but I hope Taffy is ready for you to enjoy the summer and we see you out in it again soon take care.

Andy its a 10 year old car strip the bugger sell it off and have done with it, you will never get that money back no matter which why you look at it now and the grief it must have caused you over the last 5 years.. (that's were all your grey hairs have come from.. you'll be going bald next!!)... $hit I think I have probably driven that Trophy more then you in your early days of ownership (told you get a Honda lol)

Ha ha good job you picked another girlfriend with a good reliable Civic Type R and she lets you drive it... I still wouldn't let you near mine you're cursed I reckon ;)
I came on here looking for a 182 to use as a spare car/track dirt cheap and I still think they are the best all rounder... I really should be getting a 4x4 but who wants to be sensible.

I wont be at Action Day again this year as it falls on the endurance race weekend but I hope Taffy is ready for you to enjoy the summer and we see you out in it again soon take care.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Platinum, not grey... :) Although - if I'm being brutally honest - it's mainly white now! 25 years old and a head of white hair... :tonguewink:

That's the thing, though; you've hit the nail on the head. They are such a good all-rounder and, on those odd occasions I have been able to enjoy it, I'd be gutted to see the Clio go due to the sheer fun it offers. What you say makes perfect sense, but I've practically replaced pretty much the whole car now in one way or another (well, sort of. Ish). Like I can't see you in a sensible 4x4, I can't quite let go of Taffy just yet. Just . one . more . try . . . I can't really see you in a 4x4, unless it's a tow vehicle for your track car in which case all would be forgiven... If the worst comes to the worst after this final throw of the dice with Taffy then it will be stripped, parts sold on and a new car bought. But I'll be following your route and looking for a dirt cheap 1*2 just to be able to have some fun throwing it around without worrying about the odd dent, ding and bump.

Have fun at the race weekend and yes, I should have stuck with Honda. *sigh* LOL!

That sounds like a plan Andy. Hope it works out and you don't have to resort to a tattier clio.
I love my Clio, wife likes the colour.... that's it! Lol.

Our Honda going on Thursday. Gutted, its superb to drive. .... love it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
That sounds like a plan Andy. Hope it works out and you don't have to resort to a tattier clio.
I love my Clio, wife likes the colour.... that's it! Lol.

Our Honda going on Thursday. Gutted, its superb to drive. .... love it.
I'm sure it will work out this time mate. Always the optimist! LOL! :)

What's that? The Honda is going?! That's a shame mate. Are you looking to replace it with something else?

I'm sure it will work out this time mate. Always the optimist! LOL! :)

What's that? The Honda is going?! That's a shame mate. Are you looking to replace it with something else?
[emoji106]
Yeah. [emoji17] Such a great car to drive in anger!
Something more practical now. Around 12~14k. Audi S3, mk5 Golf R32, leon cupra K1. wife doesn't like the megane RS [emoji53]

53 Clio's & counting
The thing is Andy you might say if you had known you would have sold it, but if you would have known you could have gone a different route and not had any trouble - same with a faster car , you could have bought an E46 M3, had the vanos fail horribly and wreck the engine and be left with a 5k bill to sort. I suppose at least with the clio 90% of it is cheap to fix and repair, it's just the running gear that tends to cost a bit. With the new route you're taking you will hopefully have a nice reliable engine that is very quick then all will be right with the world :)

I guess I'm trying to say we could all live forever thinking about the what ifs,but there isn't too much point - that clio is in your blood and I know it will be seen right

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
[emoji106]
Yeah. [emoji17] Such a great car to drive in anger!
Something more practical now. Around 12~14k. Audi S3, mk5 Golf R32, leon cupra K1. wife doesn't like the megane RS [emoji53]
The Megane RS is a great car. Change your wife... :tonguewink: Hahaha! Please don't tell her I said that! Joking aside, it is a shame but your budget opens the door to some really nice options without costing the earth.

The thing is Andy you might say if you had known you would have sold it, but if you would have known you could have gone a different route and not had any trouble - same with a faster car , you could have bought an E46 M3, had the vanos fail horribly and wreck the engine and be left with a 5k bill to sort. I suppose at least with the clio 90% of it is cheap to fix and repair, it's just the running gear that tends to cost a bit. With the new route you're taking you will hopefully have a nice reliable engine that is very quick then all will be right with the world :smile:

I guess I'm trying to say we could all live forever thinking about the what ifs,but there isn't too much point - that clio is in your blood and I know it will be seen right
Yes mate, very well said and a very valid point. Before I moved to south Wales my ex-wife and I bought a brand new Peugeot. We foolishly thought that, being brand new, it would offer us miles and years of trouble-free motoring. We had it 11 months (of which 5 months was spent in the garage) and eventually successfully fought to get a near-on full refund due to numerous issues with it. Sometimes you get a good 'un, sometimes not.

As for Taffy the Trophy - yeah, it's in my blood (well, the few millilitres that it hasn't yet drained from me!) and I'm determined to see it through to a conclusion. I will enjoy it before I take my last breath and leave this rock we call Earth! LOL! (dramatic, eh?)

Very well said. ^^

Also, when it's finished.... passenger ride please! [emoji41] [emoji41] [emoji41]
He's got a way with words has that Russ bloke. Pretty handy with cars, too. No problem regarding a passenger ride either mate :)

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted to read your still having problems. Just ditch all the itb cack, pop in a decent stock engine and drive the thing.
IMO the stock engine is great and these cars are for the driving not making faster.

M2 Comp
Genuinely saddened to read this Andy - can't believe the luck you've had with this car!

Good to see you aren't giving up though and look forward to hearing about whatever you decide to do next.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted to read your still having problems. Just ditch all the itb cack, pop in a decent stock engine and drive the thing.
IMO the stock engine is great and these cars are for the driving not making faster.
Cheers mate - the ITB's and ECU have been sold. I'm very much looking forward to driving it again at the earliest possible opportunity.

Genuinely saddened to read this Andy - can't believe the luck you've had with this car!

Good to see you aren't giving up though and look forward to hearing about whatever you decide to do next.
Hi mate, I hope you are well. When I get a little more time I'll post up what my plans are :) I just need to discuss a few of the finer points with Dan, Mike, Russ and Chip. That way, if anything goes wrong, I can blame them... LOL! :tonguewink: (Just kidding gents).

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
And so it begins... :smile: ...the re-re-re-rebuild. I am reliably informed that a 197 inlet has arrived and that an estimated cost from the engine builder has been provided.
(Hey, I'll take any little bit of news like this as a positive step in the right direction!) :tonguewink:

Time to buy some bits.

Hope everything goes well.

Do you mind PMing details of the build cost as we're in the same predicament at the moment?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hope everything goes well.

Do you mind PMing details of the build cost as we're in the same predicament at the moment?
Cheers Tim. I don't have that many details at the moment as it's still very early days (and half the things haven't been decided on / costed yet)...

Bloody hell Andy, what have you been doing?!? :wink:

Gutted to read the last few pages. Things can only get better surely!
Me? I'm innocent! I haven't done anything! Things will get better mate. A box of homemade cookies would help ease the pain of recent times... :tonguewink:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
And so it begins... :smile: ...the re-re-re-rebuild. I am reliably informed that a 197 inlet has arrived and that an estimated cost from the engine builder has been provided.
(Hey, I'll take any little bit of news like this as a positive step in the right direction!) :tonguewink:

Time to buy some bits.
You gonna run a 197 head then I'm assuming? The choice of winners iirc. Lol

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Know how you feel! Sorry to hear, truly.

Who's doing the rebuild?
It's not a great feeling, is it?! I hope things are well with you mate (just had a quick catch up on your new thread update!) I've got Steve Milton doing my engine build mate (once a healthy bottom end and Megane 225 head have been sourced).

Peugeot 308
Hope it all goes well Andy!

I've followed your thread from the start and genuinely feel gutted for the hassle you've had. I can only echo what other members have said.

I was going to suggest perhaps a K20 unit into the T? :smile::smile:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate :) If I had the time and know-how (abd pennies) I would love to try and shoe-horn a K20 into the Clio! But sadly the missus won't let me take the engine out of our Type R so it's a non-starter!

On a brighter note, a few more things have been sorted out and items are being ordered in the next day or so. Happy days :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
May 2015 - Update

Just a quick update...

A selection of parts have been ordered...
  • Garrett turbo
  • Turbo Manifold
  • Turbo downpipe
  • Uprated fuel pump
  • Uprated injectors
  • Helix paddle clutch
  • (and some other bits)
...and should start arriving any day soon. I'm looking to get an intercooler from AH Fabrications who also produced my awesome radiator :smile: In terms of the engine it will, hopefully, soon be on the way for building. Just a couple bits to source including a small matter of sourcing a Megane 225 head before it goes off for build. A decent head has not yet been found and buying brand new may prove costly. We shall see on that one!

The gearbox, despite not having many miles on it, will be off to get checked out and refurbed along with fixing the 3rd gear issue I've been having. The ECU and management side of things should start to move forward as well following a discussion about budget and deciding on the best way to go. Suffice to say I want it doing properly!

Finally, I was able to pick up these Brembo 4-pots earlier today from a fellow Clio owner (thank you!) and these will soon be off for refurb, powdercoating and then a special SJM brake setup. I'm looking forward to it!

20150530_brembos.jpg

Cheers :)