ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Andy, met up with Chip collected engine Monday, engine was all good, bore scoped each cylinder all mint inside, looked at the bottom end with the scope via the turbo drain and sump drain, few cobwebs, blasted them with the air line all good there, fitted a new timing belt (you owe me £35) met Chip again tonight so your engine is back up north.

Steve
PS I have had that many phone calls I could not work out which number was yours
Hahaha! Awesome Steve, thank you! I needed some good news and you, sir, have just provided it! :) Thanks for your time and expertise yet again. I'll get in touch and sort out the payment.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
February 2018 - Update #2

As you've probably just read, in the previous couple of comments, Steve has looked at my engine, sorted it out and it's already on the way back to Mick at Diamond Motors. And, for once, the news is good!

At the risk of repeating Steve word-for-word, all is looking good - the cylinders were bore-scoped and all in mint condition. The bottom end was also scoped and looked good! A quick blast with the air line was needed to remove the cobwebs and crap left over but that was pretty much all that was needed, along with the fitting of a new timing belt.

Again - a MASSIVE thanks to Steve for taking a look at the engine (especially at such short notice and for such a quick turnaround) and the same to Chip for playing courier and ferrying my engine both ways. :)

Hurrah! :)

340i

As you've probably just read, in the previous couple of comments, Steve has looked at my engine, sorted it out and it's already on the way back to Mick at Diamond Motors. And, for once, the news is good!

At the risk of repeating Steve word-for-word, all is looking good - the cylinders were bore-scoped and all in mint condition. The bottom end was also scoped and looked good! A quick blast with the air line was needed to remove the cobwebs and crap left over but that was pretty much all that was needed, along with the fitting of a new timing belt.

Again - a MASSIVE thanks to Steve for taking a look at the engine (especially at such short notice and for such a quick turnaround) and the same to Chip for playing courier and ferrying my engine both ways. :smile:

Hurrah! :smile:

Fantastic news mate! - Big relief.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep

Again - a MASSIVE thanks to Steve for taking a look at the engine (especially at such short notice and for such a quick turnaround) and the same to Chip for playing courier and ferrying my engine both ways. :smile:

Fantastic News Andy - Long may it continue!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Taking his time ain't he ! [emoji2]:wink:
I meant is he just doing bits when he gets spare hours or doing it as a paying job when all bits are there to complete it ?
I'm sure it's booked in as a job mate, from what I've seen nicks a busy man so I'd imagine he doesn't get very much spare time to do this as a fill in job.

If it was my car then I'd also want to pay to have it done as a proper job, I think it's gone on far to long.

I'm hoping to meet up with Sharkey this summer in my beast, so it better be finished by then.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'm sure it's booked in as a job mate, from what I've seen nicks a busy man so I'd imagine he doesn't get very much spare time to do this as a fill in job.

If it was my car then I'd also want to pay to have it done as a proper job, I think it's gone on far to long.

I'm hoping to meet up with Sharkey this summer in my beast, so it better be finished by then.

And what about Mick? ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Imagine the time of if/when Andy ever comes to the Trophy - that to justify the expense and patience of all this, he would simply have to point the potential customer to this thread.

This thread is almost a part of the CS Forum furniture. It's a shame that it might end up actually being finished! :smile:

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep

About damn time too matey! Fingers crossed it's all smooth sailing for you now.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Well that's great news for the start to the weekend mate. [emoji41]
It is mate! Hopefully this is the start of the end (as it were).

Really hope this is the final hurdle Andy and it is soon done and you are finally happy with it !
Thanks mate - I can't wait to get it home and run-in. It'll be getting a good spanking once all is good to go.

Finally some good news, hopefully soon Mick will have it ready to be fired up!
I think he plans on turning it over soon mate. He's got a couple of little things he's done / doing until he has more time in his schedule to work on it fully.

2018 is going to be the year, up and running!! Good luck, you certainly deserve it..
I think it will be mate - I fully expect to be out and enjoying it this year. :) Cheers.

Fantastic news mate! - Big relief.
You're not wrong! Bullet dodged! :)

Brilliant news!
Cheers buddy!

Fantastic News Andy - Long may it continue!
Yep - I totally agree :)

Told you to fire the thing up as it was. (;

Great news mate!
Hahaha! Yeah, yeah, yeah... whatever... :p :) Cheers mate.

Brilliant news!
Thanks mate. It was nice to get away without the wallet taking another hammering :)

Has Mick given any idea of a time scale now Andy?
He's not given a definite date fella; he's really busy at the moment. He's planning on clearing his current jobs so that he can then get a good run with mine. He's already started on a few smaller bits (such as re-assembling the interior so that it looks like a car again!) but he won't be doing anything too major until he has the time to do it properly.

Should be out on road test Monday morning.
Either that, or he'll have parts for sale on eBay... :p

Taking his time ain't he ! :smile::wink:
I meant is he just doing bits when he gets spare hours or doing it as a paying job when all bits are there to complete it ?
It's a paying job mate.

Yep - exactly this. It's a proper job this time - no more dicking around. I am expecting it to be ready for summer mate; looking forward to seeing your beast! I think a bit of Welsh road action would suit it perfectly... although I might be a bit biased.

Imagine the time of if/when Andy ever comes to the Trophy - that to justify the expense and patience of all this, he would simply have to point the potential customer to this thread.

This thread is almost a part of the CS Forum furniture. It's a shame that it might end up actually being finished! :smile:
Hahahahaha! I'm not sure what I'm going to do when it's finished?!?!?!?! :) It won't be sold, so it will be run for as long as I can possibly a) maintain it and b) get it repaired and c) afford it...

About damn time too matey! Fingers crossed it's all smooth sailing for you now.
Absolutely mate! I'm sure there will be another hurdle or two to overcome but I think this is a bit of a turning point. :)

Really good news mate! Hope it all works out perfect soon :beers:
Thanks mate :)

See, I said you were making progress! Bloody good news the engine is in good order internally, what's the next step?
Cheers :) The next step is for Mick to clear his jobs/diary and have a crack at mine! :p He's got a lot of outstanding bookings to work through first and then he'll turn his attention to the Trophy.

Good news. Nice work sharky boi
Thanks mate, but I can't claim any credit. I've had more than a little help from my friends (wasn't there a song about that?)

Great news, about time you had something good happen without more expense to the pocket.

Hopefully get to see it at some shows this year!
Cheers fella! I'm certainly planning on hitting a few of them this year so I hope to see you there mate! :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
February 2018 - Update #3

With a few bits and pieces starting to come together on the Trophy I though it was about time I showed my Sachs some loving. They have been off the car, and in storage, since August 2014. They were in need of a refurb and one was completely shot. The plan had been to get them refurbed and then back on the car asap but... well, you probably know the rest having read the ups and downs over the last few years. Suffice to say, they are yet to be refurbished and they are yet to go back on the car.

18 months ago I took the dampers out of storage, re-wrapped them and put them in a dry shed at the property I had just moved in to. Or so I thought. Earlier today I took them out the shed and found they were absolutely soaking wet. The shed was dry, apart from a very small area where water had got in and dripped right where I had the dampers stored. To make matters worse, they were also sat in a pool of thick, yellowy oil which I suspect had once been inside the reservoirs... :( The upshot of all this is that they are in pretty dire condition right now.

20180227_dampers01.jpg

I am surprised at just how badly they have degraded as they were nowhere near as bad as they are now when I last checked them. I had wanted to get them refurbished by a good friend of mine, Rik, who is intimately familiar with these items - but I don't think he'd want to soil his hands with these!

A few more images of the sorry-looking Sachs...

20180227_dampers02.jpg

20180227_dampers03.jpg

20180227_dampers04.jpg

20180227_dampers05.jpg

20180227_dampers06.jpg

20180227_dampers07.jpg

20180227_dampers08.jpg

20180227_dampers09.jpg

20180227_dampers10.jpg

They've certainly seen better days!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I don't think they look bad at all Andy.
Isn't it Corning force that refurb these to look like new again?

I think @Marc is the man for these.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
They can be sand blasted and powder coated to the exact colour from factory at BG motorsport.

From looking at the pictures the first picture looks like oil to me which mean they are also leaking and needing new seals.

Clio 197,with megan'
I love sachs dampers, but of tlc and will be like new
How you have managed to go through all this, is beyond me. Its very nice to see progress at last. A few of us are at Anglesea on the 30 June, and if you make it there, I will buy you a coffee. Feel honoured!!. I don't usually do this!!.Keep us posted, as I am almost as frustrated as you should be!.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
February 2018 - Update #3

With a few bits and pieces starting to come together on the Trophy I though it was about time I showed my Sachs some loving. They have been off the car, and in storage, since August 2014. They were in need of a refurb and one was completely shot. The plan had been to get them refurbed and then back on the car asap but... well, you probably know the rest having read the ups and downs over the last few years. Suffice to say, they are yet to be refurbished and they are yet to go back on the car.

18 months ago I took the dampers out of storage, re-wrapped them and put them in a dry shed at the property I had just moved in to. Or so I thought. Earlier today I took them out the shed and found they were absolutely soaking wet. The shed was dry, apart from a very small area where water had got in and dripped right where I had the dampers stored. To make matters worse, they were also sat in a pool of thick, yellowy oil which I suspect had once been inside the reservoirs... 😧 The upshot of all this is that they are in pretty dire condition right now.

View attachment 1357997

I am surprised at just how badly they have degraded as they were nowhere near as bad as they are now when I last checked them. I had wanted to get them refurbished by a good friend of mine, Rik, who is intimately familiar with these items - but I don't think he'd want to soil his hands with these!

A few more images of the sorry-looking Sachs...

View attachment 1357998
View attachment 1357999
View attachment 1358000
View attachment 1358001
View attachment 1358002
View attachment 1358003
View attachment 1358004
View attachment 1358005
View attachment 1358006

They've certainly seen better days!

Great news on the engine Andy.

Sad news about the Sachs but I'm sure there is another recent solution you could use ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Great that progress is coming along, but that's a shame about the Sachs :pensive:What's your plan with them then? They surely still look salvageable?
Hi mate. Now I've had a day to reflect and look at them again, I do think they are salvageable. I was just a bit shocked because they looked in such good condition when I wrapped them up prior to storing them! I had a chat with a good friend of mine last night and a plan has been put together... :)

I don't think they look bad at all Andy.
Isn't it Corning force that refurb these to look like new again?

I think @Marc is the man for these.
I think you're right, Scott. As mentioned in reply to James172C above, I think it was just the initial shock at the condition and the fact one of them has leaked everywhere. They were in need of a refurb anyway but even more so now!

I know it's annoying but they don't look too bad to me? Rub down, bit of paint, jobs a good 'un.
Agreed - I think you're right mate. Get them blasted back down to the metal, freshly painted and a full refurb. Job done! :) Cheers.

They can be sand blasted and powder coated to the exact colour from factory at BG motorsport.

From looking at the pictures the first picture looks like oil to me which mean they are also leaking and needing new seals.
Thank you mate. Yes, one of them did have a few issues hence they were due a refurb. The rods are scored and will also need replacing. I had planned on getting them done sooner but I had also planned on having my car back on the road about 2 years ago! Thanks for the reply / comment.

I love sachs dampers, but of tlc and will be like new
Indeed mate. In for a penny... :p

How you have managed to go through all this, is beyond me. Its very nice to see progress at last. A few of us are at Anglesea on the 30 June, and if you make it there, I will buy you a coffee. Feel honoured!!. I don't usually do this!!.Keep us posted, as I am almost as frustrated as you should be!.
Some call it patience (me). The majority call it outright stupidity (the rest). I really should have called it quits a long, long time ago but I obviously had no idea things would turn out like this. It simply got to that point where I was in so deep that I have to see it through to some sort of conclusion. Whatever that will be! On those occasions where I've been able to enjoy it, it has been truly superb. A fantastic hot-hatch deserving of the praise it receives (in my opinion). Ah, that's a kind offer of coffee - thanks! If I'm available and the car is running I may just well take a road trip! All the best. :)

Yeah me too bud, i feel for andy :laughing:
Don't be daft. Far worse things happen at sea! :)

Great news on the engine Andy.

Sad news about the Sachs but I'm sure there is another recent solution you could use :wink:
It's starting to come together slowly Mossy! One step at a time. Thankfully I have Rik on the case and have had a chat with him already. He's a true gent and I'm sure they will be as good as new in no time. Then there's the little package due to arrive in the next few days as well which eases the pain somewhat. Maybe not on the wallet but as a long-term investment!

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Wouldn't even have bothered with the dampers mate. They'll just rust again quickly. The B14s on my Evo are only a couple years old, cars barely done 5k on them and they're starting to rust already. Just get them resealed if it works out cheaper