ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy #185's story

RenaultSport 182FF
It's ok :) Thanks, just creeping up to 83k

Ahh when you said little red i thought you were referring to the dynamique you also had on the drive :)

Got very similar ambitions to you..... very good taste i might add ;) Keep up the good work I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :)

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
October-December 2012

Time had come for the 84k service. Car was booked into Birchdown for;

1. 84k Service

2. Fit and Balance 2 new Michelin PS3 tyres

DSC02550_zps036d04a3.jpg

DSC02556_zps524c60c5.jpg

3. Fit Replacment outer ARB bushes

DSC02553_zps54e2222d.jpg

4. Fit new H&R camber bolts

5. Fit Spare Built up Gearshift with Yanoo Stiff Shift fitted.

DSC02549_zpsc5911e8c.jpg

6. Full front Alignment.

photo3_zps6912670c.jpg

Car feels so much better now. The Extra load version of the PS3's have given a lot more feedback to the front end that I had lost with the normal PS3's compared to the Exaltos. Cant recommend fitting these over the normal rated ones enough.

Had allignment put back to how it was couple years ago. Basically toe at parallel and camber set at -1.5 deg. Found this to be best comprimise for Daily and few track days a year.

The Yanoo stiff shift kit is awesome. And out of the 3 elements of the kit (Metal housing, pivot ball insert and lower linkage bush) I only needed/was able to fit one, being the metal housing but what a change it's done to the feel of the gear stick movement.

Best comparison I can describe is that it's much closer to the feel of the RS200 ive driven. Sloppyness is gone and feels more direct and positive. Whether the actual gearknob had contributed aswell to feel with it being metal fixed right onto the metal shaft of gearshift who knows but I'm more than chuffed with it. Kicking myself that it took me about 3 years to actually decide to fit it.

Big thanks again to Steve and Andy for the work and Powerflex for their awesome customer service.

Thanks.

Trophy #276
Just read this from start to finish. Inspiring stuff, properly dedicated to its upkeep.

I will be using 2013 to start sorting many bits out on mine.

Unfortunately, mine's pink lol.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nice update, mate. That gearshift sounds interesting. The gearshift always annoys me on mine. I've not had any problems with it but some days it feels real precise and accurate, then the next day it feels as sloppy as custard!

Unfortunately, mine's pink lol.
If you can manage it, a professional paint correction and detail will bring the paintwork up a treat mate. I had it done on mine a few years back (admittedly it wasn't pink but...) and it was so glossy and wet-looking that I wanted to dip my hand into it!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Nice update, mate. That gearshift sounds interesting. The gearshift always annoys me on mine. I've not had any problems with it but some days it feels real precise and accurate, then the next day it feels as sloppy as custard!

Mines still bit awkward at times to get into 5th when cold but think that's normal. Have covered more about kit previously in thread and Yanoo (he's on here) is incredibly helpful. Wasn't able to fit all of the kit due to renault evolving the gearshift from 172 Ph1 onward and obviously Trophy being last had tweaks done. I was only able to fit the metal housing from kit but still much nicer feel now. Deffinately recommend it :)

Lovely upgrades mate. I've got a single pair of the PS3 XL's on the font, and they are great!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
February 2013

Been quite a quiet start to the year for little red. Been an absolute dream to drive and a good steed getting me through the mental amount of snow that fell last month, not seen that sort of snow drifts before. Over 6ft on back roads.

Seeing as the forecast was for a dry weekend I thought id get all the detailing gear out and give little red a proper clean and post some photos up.

Had a few products I'd bought last year that I hadn't had a chance to try out so was looking forward to getting to work.

8482270333_7474f7e784_c.jpg

DSC02750 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Car wasn't too bad at all thanks to the Dodo Juice supernatural hybrid sealant that I put on last autumn, dirt just doesn't seem to stick to the paintwork, needing only a jetwash every so often. Unfortunately same cant be said about tar, car was covered in the stuff. Some Autosmart Tardis was brought out and quickly sorted it.

8482275519_5c071d130d_c.jpg

DSC02740 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8482274545_493df5f7bf_c.jpg

DSC02741 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Next was a product I've been waiting to use for a while, Iron X. Spray on and watch it bleed purple...

8482271819_94d336e118_c.jpg

DSC02749 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8482266321_e52b86082f_c.jpg

DSC02757 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8482264777_9476a087af_c.jpg

DSC02758 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8483351008_27f4c97c0d_c.jpg

DSC02761 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8482254329_c9b31c25be_c.jpg

DSC02764 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

...Surprisingly it had very little contaminants on the bonnet and roof, or bodywork in general tbh, might be because of where the cars been most of it's life, the green mountains of Wales so maybe not much contaminants, or maybe the previous sealant coating was protecting the paint from the iron-x??. The badges and panel gaps showing the worst contaminants along with wheels.

Made a nice purple river too.

8482247721_4e865cdbe1_c.jpg

DSC02771 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

All washed off and ready for next day to tackle with DA

8483326008_9339c5147a_c.jpg

DSC02790 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Next day I gave it a quick QD spray over and set to work with Prima Amigo glaze. Heard great reviews about this and got a glaze pad on the DA and ended up with this.

8482230129_46f02105fd_c.jpg

DSC02794 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Next was Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid sealant.

8483320142_9542dc3eb7_c.jpg

DSC02802 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8482226439_feb7457ec4_c.jpg

DSC02805 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8483316656_8aaa7734c8_c.jpg

DSC02806 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Gave the headlamps a quick polish up with Megs Plast-X, the trim a going over with Auto Glym trim care (have some Gtechniq to use but saving that for better weather and for when I have more time) and the tyres some Megs. Tyre gel.

Hoovered inside and dressed all the plastics with 303 aerospace trim spray, my favorite as it's not too shinny.

Really impressed with Amigo, such a nice finish on it and does a good job of covering up swirls too. Bodywork needs more attention but that's for a later in the year.

Then with little light left I went up the road to get some photos

8483306200_d8c1dabbfa_c.jpg

DSC02825 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8483304486_45ffb5f9cb_c.jpg

DSC02832 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Got so much to learn with photo taking with my sony NEX but hope you enjoy.

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Stunning i cant wait till i get mine back now it seems to have been away for ages;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great, Keith. I think the Welsh weather helps keep contamination at a minimum as the bodywork is constantly being rinsed by rain... :)

I got a bunch of cleaning products for Christmas to try but haven't had chance yet. This weekend has literally been the first decent weekend for a very long time. Sadly I still don't have the T back so it will be getting some serious TLC once it is home. Seeing yours really makes me miss mine. Sad, I know. :)

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great Keith.

Looking forward to picking my T up next week even more after seeing this.

Awesome, you won't regret it. Had mine almost 6 years now.

Stunning i cant wait till i get mine back now it seems to have been away for ages;)

Waiting on the diff?

Looks great, Keith. I think the Welsh weather helps keep contamination at a minimum as the bodywork is constantly being rinsed by rain... :)

I got a bunch of cleaning products for Christmas to try but haven't had chance yet. This weekend has literally been the first decent weekend for a very long time. Sadly I still don't have the T back so it will be getting some serious TLC once it is home. Seeing yours really makes me miss mine. Sad, I know. :)

Haha probably. No not sad, yours will be epic once back with the spec i've read on your project thread. Am I right in saying it'll be forged con rods and pistons, cams and more?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Haha probably. No not sad, yours will be epic once back with the spec i've read on your project thread. Am I right in saying it'll be forged con rods and pistons, cams and more?
Spot on, mate. Rebuilt, fully forged, ITB'd, cam'd, bored cylinders and a few other bits; all with a hefty dose of BTM loving. :D The K-Tec DTH ITB's will be going/sold and replaced by a different setup. You're welcome to have a drive should the opportunity ever arise. :)

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Got a gearbox and diff just waiting on a call from Birchdown to tell me its all fitted and drives great.............

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Spot on, mate. Rebuilt, fully forged, ITB'd, cam'd, bored cylinders and a few other bits; all with a hefty dose of BTM loving. :D The K-Tec DTH ITB's will be going/sold and replaced by a different setup. You're welcome to have a drive should the opportunity ever arise. :)

Awesome, think you'll have one of the best clio around nevermind best Trophy after that work. BTM are probably one of only a few people i'd have building an engine tbh.

Replaced by Jenevy manifol ones or AT power ones? Thank you, will take you up on offer if opportunity arises :)

Got a gearbox and diff just waiting on a call from Birchdown to tell me its all fitted and drives great.............

Awesome :) not too long to wait then hopefully

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Can't wait mate, I have a sprint at Angelsey march 10 not bothered about my times just want to see how it feels

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Car feels so much better now. The Extra load version of the PS3's have given a lot more feedback to the front end that I had lost with the normal PS3's compared to the Exaltos. Cant recommend fitting these over the normal rated ones enough.

I'm always saying this! The W rating makes all the difference!

Good update, havent seen your car for years now it seems!

Big Chester meet?

Clio Trophy
Looks awesome!

With the Tardis, did you just spray on and leave for a few minutes and wipe away? Just got myself some so intrigued as to the best way to get rid of tar!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Can't wait mate, I have a sprint at Angelsey march 10 not bothered about my times just want to see how it feels

Will put that in my calender and try to come by :)

No problem at all mate. As for the revised setup, it will be Jenvey-based. :) In the meantime I look forward to your ongoing updates and story with #185...

Awesome, cant wait to see the updates :) Thanks

I'm always saying this! The W rating makes all the difference!

Good update, havent seen your car for years now it seems!

Big Chester meet?

Such a difference. No not been to any meets in years, hopefully get along to one soon. When's next big meet?

Looks awesome!

With the Tardis, did you just spray on and leave for a few minutes and wipe away? Just got myself some so intrigued as to the best way to get rid of tar!

Thanks :) Yeah pretty much, sprayed onto dry paintwork and then after while washed it off as you would wash rest of car. Found i missed some spots (well a lot as it was covered) so sprayed Tardis onto cloth and dabbed area left a while then wiped off with same cloth.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
March 2013

Just a small update, years on here have subconsciously twisted my arm to change the indicator lamps from the standard orange ones to some Phillips Silver Vision ones lol.

Before

8528037785_be162c1ebe_c.jpg

DSC02896 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

The Phillip ones didn't seem to have as thick a silver coating as similar ones i've used on other cars and had 'E' approval.

8529149814_1e15345f0a_c.jpg

DSC02911 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

After

8528039013_18843870ee_c.jpg

DSC02926 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

8528034787_99389e23e7_c.jpg

DSC02925 by KeithRoberts185, on Flickr

Such a small change and cleans up the front and rear end. And these have to be the esiest lamps to change on a Clio, why can't all the lamps be as easy to change as these.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Awesome thread mate, great work and sounds like its been the perfect all rounder for you. Makes me more determined to get one only now I have more idea what to look out for.. Feel Like Ive owned it with you. Thanks

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome thread mate, great work and sounds like its been the perfect all rounder for you. Makes me more determined to get one only now I have more idea what to look out for.. Feel Like Ive owned it with you. Thanks

Thank you :) If its got history from traders in here (Birchdown/BTM/519automotive/RS Tuning) that would be perfect. Would say you can buy mine but it's not going anywhere for foreseeable future :)

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Thank you :) If its got history from traders in here (Birchdown/BTM/519automotive/RS Tuning) that would be perfect. Would say you can buy mine but it's not going anywhere for foreseeable future :)

Ill keep my eye out.. What would you say are the main things to check after belts, dephaser and sachs?

Arctic Blue 182FF
Hi mate,
Was wondering whether you can remember how you fitted the gearknob? I am looking at gearknobs, but I am clueless as to whether there is a thread on it or not!
Also, how are you finding the stiff shift, worth it?
Thanks!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Ill keep my eye out.. What would you say are the main things to check after belts, dephaser and sachs?

Check the Recaros that the til and slide and wear (the do sometimes not slide after tilting forward but is easy fix with cable jumping out of groove. Otherwise can't think of much aside from usual hpi checks and make sure it's a full Trophy and has all the parts. Sorry for late reply on here

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate,
Was wondering whether you can remember how you fitted the gearknob? I am looking at gearknobs, but I am clueless as to whether there is a thread on it or not!
Thanks!

The gear knob I have is just a grub screw holding it. The old one was pressed/glued on and a right pain to remove intact. I ended up cuting it off as I bought a spare complete gear mechanism that I fitted the stiff shift kit onto and swapped it all over and still have original one if I ever refit.

The kit is brilliant and worth every penny. If you go onto their website their guides show a lot of detail as to the fitting process and getting knob off. I tried but gave up as wasn't bothered about keeping the knob off the spare lol

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Check the Recaros that the til and slide and wear (the do sometimes not slide after tilting forward but is easy fix with cable jumping out of groove. Otherwise can't think of much aside from usual hpi checks and make sure it's a full Trophy and has all the parts. Sorry for late reply on here
Cheers mate, got mine now and very happy, if I can get it anywhere near yours ill be very happy.. Gotta get some track days sorted next..

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Hi mate,
Thanks!

The only way

nov2.jpg

;)