ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Value of a 94 Clio 1.9D

Im thinking of buying an L reg 1994 Clio 1.9D, 70k miles, 12 months MOT, 6 months tax.

What would be a good price for this car?

it has:

all the old mots
serviced in April 2005.
2 new front bearings
new full exhaust system (with 2 years warranty)

glow plugs and breaks were changed less than 3000 miles ago.

Thanks for your help!

[Edited by Goat on 03 June 2005 at 5:15pm]

Cheers.

Am I going to notice much of a performance increase with this car compared to a 1.0L Micra?

Will the acceleration be any better at all?

ex Clio 172 owner :(

1.9 D think 1.2 petrol in terms of speed, will have a bit more power low down and on the move.

Be a bit better nothing spectacular though.

theyre non turbo diesels so take forever and a day to get upto speed but once there theyll cruise all day long giving good 50+ returns

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 03 June 2005

theyre non turbo diesels so take forever and a day to get upto speed but once there theyll cruise all day long giving good 50+ returns

Will it get up to speed quicker than a 1.0L micra though?

A friend has suggested that 70k miles is suspicously low for a 11 year old diesel, and he thinks it might be clocked.

Is this likely? Is there a way to tell?

Depends who the former owner was.

My mams car is 7 year old and has 26k. Hardly uses it.

Check for signs of wear and tear on the seats, pedals etc. Does it look like its had an easy life?

Check the service history. If it hasnt got any, Id walk away. Lot of money can be thrown at older cars just to find other things keep going wrong and in the end theyre not worth it.

Put it this way my first car was a K reg Clio which in 99 was 7 year old. I spent £3k on the car and over the 4 years I had it, £2k on repairs never mind servicing.

I traded it in for £700 when it needed £400 worth of work for the mot but I just had lost all faith in it. I bought a VTS for £6000 and have had it two years. Ive spent around £100 in repair bills.

Like I say, check the history and try to find out more about the previous owner.

Thanks for your help,

I managed to get the car for £350.

The breaks squeak when I break heavily - does this mean they need replacing?

Take the wheel off and have a look at how much friction material is left on them (Im guessing its the front brakes).

If theres less than 5mm, Id replace them. If not, take them out, clean all the crap off the pads and calipers. Apply some copper grease to the backs of the pads (the non friction side) and to the bits where they touch the caliper. That should stop squealing.