ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Viper making my Clio 182 Slower?

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
What's the noise like with just a replacement panel filter (and no acoustic valve)?

Also anyone got their hands on a Green Cotton Twister or a BMC CDA?

VaVa
BenR, a reputable member of Cliosport, very experienced with Clio's and there engine variants and a flow technician by trade only recommends the ITG Maxogen.

No Viper, no BMC CDA. The clues are there.

Clio 172 mk2
ant said:
"if" and its a big "if" as far as i'm concerned, i've lost 2bhp [as ali states], then i'm sure the fact that my superlegs are miles lighter than the standard 172 alloys more than makes up for it ;)

plus i cant believe you can notice 2bhp?

It's still a loss though isn't it.

When you think about how much hours did Renault test on Clio, standard is always the best overall. It is more balance. I think panel filter is max I would do. Viper will just effect the acceleration at low rev.

VaVa
Yes, but standard is the best for compromise. A compromise of performance, economy, emissions and noise.

If you are striving for performance, certain factors such as noise and economy can be disregarded to a certain extent.

My Clio feels no faster or slower with the Viper on and I wouldnt disconnect the CAF at the bell mouth thats just pointless... you might aswell have bought a cone with a heat sheild if you do that! I think people are blowing things out of proportion... its just a filter, jeez!

Panel filter if your tight
Viper, BMC, Maxogen if you want a nice noise and are getting a new map
Cone if you just want noise

R

rich[182]

^ re hillpower comments - yep ive had the same discussion and see his point, personally the only ik id get would be itg maxogen but only if i were having both the inlet work done AND a remap all at the same time, otherwise just an itg panel filter and a replacement 60mm cold feed pipe down to the existing cold air pickup area, also this 60mm feed goes into the airbox entrance which is oval (think its 70mm x 60mm) so you get a bit of extra noise whilst still having cold feed, only have a 5mm gap each side of the cold feed

182 Full Fat
Gaz Sport said:
My Clio feels no faster or slower with the Viper on and I wouldnt disconnect the CAF at the bell mouth thats just pointless... you might aswell have bought a cone with a heat sheild if you do that! I think people are blowing things out of proportion... its just a filter, jeez!

Panel filter if your tight
Viper, BMC, Maxogen if you want a nice noise and are getting a new map
Cone if you just want noise

This makes me think is it worth me changing my 57i K&N for a viper as I love the noise. :S :quiet:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
People will never listen....

Sod the 2BHP, it's the 5lb/ft of torque which makes the difference.

There was a massive Flat spot at about 3-4k as soon as i put the std airbox on it was much improved, Soon as i put the maxogen on it was AWSUM!! And i still haven't removed all the gubbins from the Wheel arch (Acoutic valve etc)

Ali said:

There was a massive Flat spot at about 3-4k as soon as i put the std airbox on it was much improved, Soon as i put the maxogen on it was AWSUM!! And i still haven't removed all the gubbins from the Wheel arch (Acoutic valve etc)

I cant see how the Maxogen is better than the Viper?

Does it let more air in (bigger inlet)
Does it get air from a different place? if so modify the viper to where u want!
has it got some fandangled gizmo that swirls air to give massive gains :eek: ?

I just fail to see why it would be any better than a Viper?

Seems to me its just for people who believe the best is the 1 with the highest price tag and a fancy brand name.

MY10 R35 GTR
calm down boaby. or we send round someone to mess up ur cold air pipe. :)

boabys rite though, start adding more fuel or air without changing the mixture its wont act rite.

Torques what u'll notice the most if u start loosing it

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
ant said:
you're one of them.

sod the torque. it sounds great, was cheap - job done. :cool:

not everyone is arsed about performance gains.

Thats a fair point.

Maxogen is designed for the car. Nout to do with the price tag, as i go mine for less than the price of a viper ;)

Ali said:
Thats a fair point.

Maxogen is designed for the car. Nout to do with the price tag, as i go mine for less than the price of a viper ;)

Designed for the car???

As far as I can make out there is two types of carbon fibre watering cans available, they just choose the 1 that fitted under the clio bonnet added some mecano for brackets and a silcone bend and say that its designed for the car lol

Ali said:

If you hadnt removed the acoustic valve you hadnt fitted the Viper correctly either so maybe you felt that you had lost power from not fitting the thing correctly!

Worlds most expensive watering can ;)

eba00500497f00000035.jpg

Gaz Sport said:
I cant see how the Maxogen is better than the Viper?

Does it let more air in (bigger inlet)
Does it get air from a different place? if so modify the viper to where u want!
has it got some fandangled gizmo that swirls air to give massive gains :eek: ?

I just fail to see why it would be any better than a Viper?

Seems to me its just for people who believe the best is the 1 with the highest price tag and a fancy brand name.

Viper is ok, not great and not the best.

Problems are:
- Tiny filter area, i can just get my fist inside. Sure its not paper so doesnt need as large a surface area, but compared to the maxogen, its about 40% less. If you look further, filter area on the 'sides' isnt utilised that much, so your left with the tiny tiny face on area where all the dirt gets trapped.
-If left dirty and dry, it WILL tear....and you cant replace the filter...major flaw.
-Lead into the filter housing when running ducting is...well, poor...no thought to flow stabilisation. The maxogen has thought into equal distribution and not inducing turbulance around the filter media.
-Long trunking required to feed it is convoluted and plays havoc with harmonics.

Its nets a gain when brand new, no trunking and bonnet open.

Maxogen is the best, imo on the market. Doesnt mean its THE best, but the best that is off the shelf available. And its not custom designed for the car, they have an airbox design that works well and they choose the applicable one to suit the flow requirement. Only flaw really is that its still warm where it draws its air in from.

Clio 172 mk2
I'm not keen on vipers....for starters I don't think they look good and as for the noise, well, I don't want to attract attention in the car anyway.

If people want to spend £200-300 on air filters that's up to them.

When I changed from a viper to a maxogen the car was running leaner, checked on AFR meter. This meant fueling could be increased throughout the rev range. So maxogen is better then a viper.

IMO increases/decreases are small either way and you wouldnt notice them. If you want more noise though they are worth it.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
MarkM said:
When I changed from a viper to a maxogen the car was running leaner, checked on AFR meter. This meant fueling could be increased throughout the rev range. So maxogen is better then a viper.

IMO increases/decreases are small either way and you wouldnt notice them. If you want more noise though they are worth it.

Well said mark...But surely if you want noise. Buy a K&N.

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
I have a K&N Apollo anyone had any experience with them? To me they look exactly the same as the Viper but are wider and shorter :S? It cost me about 200AUD sans gst (your vat) and stuff, I think RRP would be about 100 pounds.

Anyone?

BenR said:
Its nets a gain when brand new, no trunking and bonnet open.

I think the reasons behind that are obvious ..... rolling road results for direct fed air filters are as much use as chocolate fire gaurds imo :S

182 with cup packs
well i just put an enclosed "ripspeed" yes a universal halfords induction kit on my 182 and its great, sounds good looks good(carbon fibre look) and has an improvment in accelaration, and it only cost me £70! will try get pic of it soon

Gaz Sport said:
I think the reasons behind that are obvious ..... rolling road results for direct fed air filters are as much use as chocolate fire gaurds imo :S

why is that?

were not about to get into the old 'ram effect' nonsense are we?

BenR said:
why is that?

were not about to get into the old 'ram effect' nonsense are we?

When a car is on the RR with its bonnet open and a fan blasting straight into the un fed viper its obvious that its going to get colder air and better results than with the feed to the wheel arch, but your hardly gonna drive down the street with no bonnet on... are you ??? As far as I can make out, other than feeding the filter to the fog light/front grill, the wheel arch is the best place on the 1*2 to get a good feed. If you just point the feed to the filter its still going to be sucking in all the warm air trapped in the engine bay.

Megane Trophy
A friend of mine works at pipercross and i asked him a few questions regardingn the fitting of my viper.

he says that on a RR they cannot replicate the wind speed that a car has while on the road.

he said sometimes when a cold air feed and the standard OE one are still connected then you get a problem with the air slowing down.

So has advised me to try leaving the standard feed there but try and get the viper as close to that as possible leaving the end open.

Then add another cold air feed to the bumper at a later date if need be to see if that helps/makes worse.

From my uni stuff, i can see there being a problem with turulant air flow, coming from a CAF and the OE feed. Air will be travelling at different speeds from each feed and when they meet a turbulent air flow is created right in front of the viper.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
unfortunately for me the viper was reputed to be top of the tree when i got it, the maxogen wasnt out then, & its nearly £400 so il be sticking with the viper until the next tuning stage, which hopefully will be soon. if you dont yet have an ik then spend the extra & get the maxogen as its the best...until something else comes out, probably priced @ £600 lol

haitch said:
unfortunately for me the viper was reputed to be top of the tree when i got it, the maxogen wasnt out then, & its nearly £400 so il be sticking with the viper until the next tuning stage, which hopefully will be soon. if you dont yet have an ik then spend the extra & get the maxogen as its the best...until something else comes out, probably priced @ £600 lol

agree:star: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

haitch said:

Priced at £375 i'd want a filter to be flawless... the Maxogen isnt and you would be better spending £30 on a panel filter and £345 on a remap.

If I was in the market for a filter I would be tempted towards a K&N typhoon... reportedly better gains than a Maxogen at half the price.

wrx sti ppp (305bhp)
L11KE E said:
well i just put an enclosed "ripspeed" yes a universal halfords induction kit on my 182 and its great, sounds good looks good(carbon fibre look) and has an improvment in accelaration, and it only cost me £70! will try get pic of it soon

ha cant be true me and my mate bought 1 of these crap things, he put it in his 182 and it was rubbish, no noise and felt crap, he then bought a ramair open foam filter was only 40 quid sounds awsome and he now has his 5000rpm kick back, ive got a cheap ripspeed cone filter was only 26 quid and sounds mega DONT GET CONNED BY THE EXPENSIVE 1S THERE NOT WORTH IT