ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 is this a good deal long read :)

V70 d5 beast
hi peeps just asking for a little advice
looking to buy a 172 flame red 04 plate 52k completley standard with esp and cruise control for 3,800 ono

went to view the car last saturday and looks very nice, scuff on the osf bumper and about a 10inch scratch on the os quarter panel
nsr light unit cracked at bottom, few marks on wheels, osf seat has like fluff bubbing at the bottom of the seat back
the steering wheel is missing the thumb grips,
only 1 key with it

the raod test was fine no unusual noises apart form little rattle from osf window which is pob just clip on the runner channel :)
tracking is out but easily fixable

missing last service stamp but they said they will find the invoice, not sure when the cambelt was last done either,

then there was a rattle from the engine at idle but went when reving, likely cause dephaser pully so cambelt needed too.

everythig inside works ok that i checked,
i was gonna suggest offering them 3k for it as the parts for the dephaser and cambelt etc i can get for 360 thats inc the alterntor belt retail price 416 plus the scratch and scuff, light unit and steering wheel which i can get re-trimmed plus the other key and coding..

i think this is a fair price with the work that requires doing but as i'm a ex renault mechanic can do it cheaper :)
i am tempted as its red ofc rare to find esp and cruise ctrl plus its ono as they said they want a quick sale due to baby on the way mmm

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think with the list of things needing doing, £3k is a fair price.

V70 d5 beast
yes prob true but i want red an would love both espa nd cruise control.. not seen any others that take my fancy at this present time

RB182cup&golf gti
I would walk away having read that list of faults. As said above plenty of other nice examples out there, just need to be patient.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I woldn't buy it, and esp and cruise, never use them. Esp only kicks in if i'm driving like a complete t**t, then it only hinders my driving anyway.

V70 d5 beast
ok i will think about it but i will doing all the work myself apart fomr the paint spraying lol
so the total cost i reck will be around £486 just for parts, about £200 for respray and then the steering wheel re-trim, plus i feel you get more satification from doing the work on your own car as you are then one to one with it and you know its done to your standards..
i will looking for others aswell though.

Clio 172 ph2
I know its low miles but it sounds like lots needs doing - I'd look for another.

As for tracking, if its rear tracking then its NOT adjustable so be careful, if its had a rear end bump it'll need a new rear axle! One key is worrying too. They're over £100 to sort. You'll be spending a grand on it as soon as you drive it away!

Mine was just under 3k. Its a 53 plate with ESP and cruise etc has 80k but is spot on. Onbly two owners, plus its just had its belts done which is worth another 500 quid! Miles isn't everything if its been looked after.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
honesty hat on - thats a shite deal

Even if you got it for 3.5k with the money you had to spend ~ +500 you would be over 4k anyway-

Tops I would be paying 3k for that----

S

V70 d5 beast
I know its low miles but it sounds like lots needs doing - I'd look for another.

As for tracking, if its rear tracking then its NOT adjustable so be careful, if its had a rear end bump it'll need a new rear axle! One key is worrying too. They're over £100 to sort. You'll be spending a grand on it as soon as you drive it away!

Mine was just under 3k. Its a 53 plate with ESP and cruise etc has 80k but is spot on. Onbly two owners, plus its just had its belts done which is worth another 500 quid! Miles isn't everything if its been looked after.

the rear tracking is fine m8 no uneaven wear and i know its the front i used to work for renault for 5 years so i know what i'm looking for lol
i get get a new key fob and blade for £85 and i got contacts to code it for free i can just go there and code it myself :)
as in my previous post i gave the costs of the parts and the only thing that will cost me really is the parts and the paint spraying hpi check is all clear
if i get if for under 3k or 3k should be a nice little project..

Clio 172 ph2
Yeh thats not too bad then if you have the contacts and can get it for 3k. I doubt he'll knock £800 off though but worth a try!
HPI didn't pick up on the one i nearly ended up with that had a bent rear axle!!

V70 d5 beast
well it was a woman and she was pregant so she wants a quick sale they have a car ready to buy so some easy haggling me thinks plus she not got a clue about cars ha

clio 172 cup
i would wait for some think better to come up. i did and in the end i got a 172 cup for £2100 and is mint inside and out with m.o.t and tax. it did need a cam belt but had it done but it worth waiting for.......love the car mate true rockit pockit....yeeeeehaaaaaaa...;)......

Mountune Tractor
With that list of issues it's clearly been neglected. A neglected RS = ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ you'd know that being an ex-renault mechanic though :rasp:

V70 d5 beast
aye yup offered them 2800 and no sale,, so say a local garage would give them 3.3 k for it i said good luck lol