ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

270bhp Clio 172 cup with Audi TT engine

172 cup TT
Re: Clio TT (172 cup)

Small update in prep for the bigger one hopefully later today - purchased a nice interior yesterday from waayyyy oop-north!.. shame its raining today but plan to have it in later! thats if the mrs doesnt have a barney for "not seeing you for a few days". Hope to update shortly...

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Loving this car mate, mental project! I used to run 240 bhp in an ibiza cupra, in a cup it will be even madder!! At least the chassis is a he'll of a lot better!

Good skills!

172 cup TT

Thanks Dave - was that from a k03s yeh?... how did you find getting the power down?, god knows what it will be like when its fully mapped again at 270!

What a mission today was, never stripped a car before, was great but started a bit too late in the afternoon as it started getting dark after a few hours... main problem was due to my non standard exhaust. The centre section covered 2 of the front seat bolts - so had to disconnect the exhaust so it hung down just enough to do get to them. Doing these seat bolts back up just a minute ago was an absolute b!tch, pitch black, feeling my way was nuts. Almost finished installing the 'special' new interior, will do it hopefully during the week and when its nice still light i will take some pics, but will be tricky getting home on time in the light with the dark nights looming.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Yep ko3s intercooled map etc etc it was awful at getting the power down tbh and didn't handle, it's just a polo in a frock lol

Lovely torque tho!

I'm sure it will be much better in the Clio mate!!

172 cup TT

yeh mines a handful to say the least! - amazing fun tho, and yeh as you say the torque is immense...

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

My bro had a 340bhp IHI ibiza cupra R, awesome fun and extremely fast

172 cup TT

a VF34 was that Chris? - from what ive read good turbo for the 1.8t, either that or the gt28rs.... 340 must be absolutely nuts. Surely 1st and 2nd is useless, and it will be 3rd gear when you start to quckly catch up the person thats already started pulling away!! :)

Williams20V-306BHP

dude, get a water temp gauge in there asap! if you loose your water or overheat it you have no idea... get a boost gauge n oil pressure too! ;)

oh and go down renault and get that pin diagram u lazy bugger ;)

172 cup TT

"lazy bugger" ! - why i orta! :)... Ive been working hardcore on her recently - my stupid crap hands are absolutely cut to shreds today from fiddling under the car last night haha... but yes mate im going to reno to find the pin out for the water temp so at least thats connected... I dont need a separate water guage do I as im planning to wire the dash one into the emerald (along with the rev counter!) - that was the plan yeh?

And yep, putting an order in soon for the boost and oil pressure real soon too... - Looking for a cheap power steering rack too if you know of one

Edit: oh and did you get my PM with the link to what i think is the pinouts?? - think that answers all!

ValverInBits

VW temp sensors have 2 outputs (4pins). The two gold pins provide a signal for the ECU and the other 2 provide a signal for the dash.

172 cup TT

Thanks mark..

Right, finally had time to take some pics and update the thread...

Collected, stripped, and installed the new interior.. sorry about the dark "stripped" pics, i really shouldve started earlier in the day.. hope they are ok.

here she is all bare! :)

03102010562.jpg

03102010568.jpg

03102010565.jpg

And as a comparison shot.. Here is a picture of what it was like standard, before i stipped it all out:

03102010558.jpg

And finally here it is all done!... I really like it - yes i know its added a few kilos but the extra power, look, and feel of it makes up for it i think..

09102010569.jpg

09102010574.jpg

09102010575.jpg

09102010577.jpg

Tanks for looking
Dave

172 cup TT

cheers chrispy - yeh looks a million times better inside now than the originals, the suade/alacantara stuff is a bugger to keep clean though... need to sort the brakes really next..

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

Love the interior mate nice to see something different :approve:

172 cup TT

cheers for the comments...

Yes Nick your completely right... the steering wheel is on my long list of things to do

Matt: Well it was 2nd hand from a chap up north... A guy had it done and after 8,000 miles decided to sell the car so i managed to do a deal and had it out of it... I have no idea how much it cost the guy new to be honest..

Will try to update this soon, just so hard to do bits and bobs with the dark nights and crap weather.. Been trying to fix gearbox oil seals so havent been able to drive it for ages as i didnt want another gearbox death due to lack of oil!

172 cup TT

Crikey, you guys beat me to it, was just about to add an update in the next week.

Thanks for the comments.

Demi - no videos yet mate, will get round to it soon, where are you from out of interest?

Stacky - no idea chap, but if you took it to a garage that you didnt personally know i'd dread to think. Really dont want to think how much this has cost me not only in money but the stress of it for the first 2 years being with an idiot who had no idea what he was doing (then it went to Flan who is a god)

Ali - I must meet this Gally, sounds like he has style .. but seriously, the blue alancantara looks much better in the flesh than my dodgy photos thank god

SScone - its been driving for a few months now, bedding her in really but only on low boost (235ish brake) and with a number of crucial things needed to complete her. (I.e: the renault fuel pump had a paddy at anything over 230bhp) I now have all the bits and fitting them sometime this month ready to be booked in with Dave at Emerald to get it mapped to its full 270/280 potential. It was pretty much nuts trying to drive it in the winter but now the weather is getting good again all is rosey :). Im aiming at 255 / 260 bhp per tonne

Oh, and unfortunately the clutch cable / linkage broke the other week so working on getting that fixed before i do anything! balls

Thanks

172 cup TT

Nice one Matt - thats the exact one i bought!.. Good for up to 450 odd brake i think

MERCEDES CLS AMG

You will have no messing with that. Same thing happened to me back in 2003 when i finished the original transplant and took it to be mapped. With the K04 it was struggling to make 270 bhp. Fitted the Walbro unit and it gushed it out. I had to change the fuel pressure regulator as well.

172 cup TT

Cheers Matt, yeh ill talk to Dave (emerald) about upping it to 4 bar when it goes in for the final remap... Quite a strong pump arent they the walbro's, can hear the bloody thing from outside the car at times!

clio 172

hi mate the car looks mega!! i am just in the middle of doing one myself but was just woundering what u did regarding the clutch?? what bhp did u get in the end? i am running a one of my works (jabbasport) ihi vf34 with one of our manifolds so should see 330-350bhp on high boost :) cheers

172 cup TT

Right, completely forgot about updating this thread so thought it worth while now.. Had a hell of a year, moved home twice etc etc...

drove the car until the weather started to turn end of last year and now as its getting better ive "unwrapped" her so to speak and ready to finish things off...

Ive wanted to get the car spot on regardless of cost to some degree - Here is what i have done over the winter..

Firstly there was a VERY slight seaping of oil from the "new" gearbox - turns out it was because we tried to reuse the original gearbox/drive seals when we put the new box on.. ordered a couple brand new and fitted them

Drive shafts taken off and old seal in place, all messed up :

23102010580.jpg

Couldnt get the seals out for love nor money so bought what seemed like an instrument of death to remove them :

07112010586.jpg

Out they came :

07112010587.jpg

in goes the new before giving the box a right clean up from the old oil - Worked a charm! no drips, solid! :

07112010589.jpg

172 cup TT

As i said previously the clutch cable that had been on her since 2002 finally gave, so got a brand new one and with the help of flan it works again!

31032011698.jpg

172 cup TT

Next up was to replace all the o-rings on the injectors as they are known to perish after a while and i wasnt sure how long they were on - PLUS 1 of them was slightly seaping anyway...

Injectors removed :

24042011712.jpg

Look a little Grubby! :

24042011713.jpg

Bought new set of o-rings! (youi dont want to know how much these piddly little things from Audi were!!) :

24042011715.jpg

Injectors given a little clean and new rings back on just before being reinstalled :

24042011716.jpg

172 cup TT

then onto replacing the bushes at the front as again the cars a good few years old so wanted to get them done :

06042011707.jpg

172 cup TT

What i was doing was prepping the car ready to be finally re-mapped to its full potential as before there were many limiting factors as to why it only produced a tad over 230bhp... these were the fuel pump which ive upgraded to a walbro, they dont half make a racket though!.. Second was to get a stiffer/larger Turbo intake pipe.. the standard audi one was just constricting under too much flow.... And finally to fit the old favourite Forge 007 valve..

The Forge 007 :

06042011706.jpg

The Uprated Turbo intake :

06042011702.jpg

172 cup TT

I felt the engine was ready, gearbox solid with no leaks, suspension sorted, i wanted to give the brakes a look at so she stopped alright!... Replaced all pads, discs were perfect.. so bought some front braided lines as the standard rears were fine then added some nice brake fluid.

Brake Lines :

06042011704.jpg

Brake Fluid :

06042011703.jpg

172 cup TT

After every thing was ready i then went back to Dave at Emerald to get it fully remapped to its full potential....

27042011717.jpg

Kept it at a fairly decent 270bhp and almost 290torques... the k04 couldve gone to almost 285 but that wouldve impacted longevity and reliability so although it was tempting i kept it at 270. When i drove out it was amazing the difference from before, jesus, smile on my face entire way home... has turned it into a pretty silly car to be honest, so much fun

Next to get sorted are gauges / dials...

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Thats amazing, cant imagine seeing that thing go! no wonder it puts a smile on your face! you will have to get a video up soon of what its like,
being in/drove an audi tt 1.8T myself they are pretty quick as standard so seeing one of them engines in a clio is just pure brilliant! Great work! :D