ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Clio 172 Cup Road/Track

Cup In bits
Hope you enjoy tomorrow mate!

Have a good day Morgan. Looking forward to the outcome

​Have fun buddy, cant wait for the report. ;)

Cheers, was a decent day with rain in the morning and dry in the afternoon. Few dramas getting there but the car ran almost faultlessly until the last session where it chucked a rear pad going down duffis, nothing damaged, just new pads and boxer shirts required. Shattered now so I will update with vids and pics soon.

Cup In bits
Had a track day booked for yesterday so set about the remaining things that I wanted done.

I fitted the exhaust and modified hanger, fitted xenons, removed fog lights and secured front bumper properly with new riv nuts to the subframe. Fitted new tie rod and had geo setup up again. Had a mishap, while I was rushing so much I never tightened the rear wheel nuts after doing the exhaust and the wheel fell off leaving my lock up, no damage done except some paint off the inside wheel and lost 4 of my PMS nuts. Just seen the wheel overtaking me in the mirror, first time in 10 years I have done that...whoops. Found some Ford nuts to last me the track day until I get more from PMS.

Forgot to take pics as I was rushing to get things done, how the car looks today.

89FE16F1-4040-4D16-8E96-6FD8561D3153-4846-0000030E85D8966D_zps7ff60655.jpg

9CBC6073-A611-4778-A493-3DD33E07E3B5-4846-0000030E8DCD514F_zpsc3be3dfb.jpg

Track day.

Woke up at 6 to get down to KH after packing the van and trailer night before, while adjusting cars pressures I noticed 2 flat trailer tyres.....nightmare, I was already tight for time. Put air in both tyres leaving one with a audible leak still around the valve. Set off and ten minutes down the road it was flat again, managed to lock the valve stem against a wheel nut which seemed to stop it, finally made it to KH late after being stuck behind a wide load for 20 something miles :mad:. I missed the first session but got a quick brief and was then let out on track for the 2nd session.

Car went almost perfect all day until the last session going into Duffis dip it threw a rear pad, luckily I threw the car in with everything on and it stuck, phew. It developed a light load misfire 2nd session which stayed the rest of the day, it was too wet to have a look so just ran with it. Conditions were torrential in the morning brightening up late afternoon, had a great time all in all for my first day, tyres took an absolute hammering in anything other than monsoon conditions having to slow frequently to give them a breather, made for some good fun with the car sliding and moving around. Ended up with cold temps of 23psi to give me 32 hit lol. Had a few big saves which I caught one of on camera and had an off into the gravel through the chicane, no harm done anyway. Got some videos to upload when I work out what to do.

Things to do before next day is (thursday night potentially, got the bug now) fit new rear pads, change fronts to ds2500's or swap back to original calipers with PF97's and run my 2118's with a048r's, investigate misfire and wash it.

Pic of the remaining pad from the side where one fell out, oem pads (Brembo) just aren't up to track abuse, these have done less than 200 miles before yesterday and are falling to bits.

37C703BF-C826-4C12-902B-E031D982C066-4846-0000030EA0740297_zpsdc9a36af.jpg

Few randoms I stole for bookface, videos to follow.

B1E0D512-4F05-47E4-AC83-6F0F54D33373-4846-0000031CCEE25478_zps5f14cef8.jpg

8CD51688-8C5F-4AC7-B823-B822FC7B793C-4846-0000030E83056852_zps56b79399.jpg

F62124A4-8198-49D6-B54C-3481BC650E11-4846-00000319810EDE8F_zps671774b2.jpg

Lionel Richie
you sure you don't have bias valve issues, we ran £12 rear pads in ours and they only ever got mildly warm

Cup In bits
you sure you don't have bias valve issues, we ran £12 rear pads in ours and they only ever got mildly warm

The braking was perfect all day balance wise, just a little extra bite would be nice. I don't have a bias valve fitted Fred, not even an oem one, my other cup has one but not this. I came to the assumption that early Cup's never had one? It still has the green oem pipes leading to and from flexi's so it hasn't been tampered with.

2404A1BC-80CE-4263-9FFA-5DF3289D347F-2611-0000026D08DCE227_zpsc45dea7c.jpg

Hey mate. Love the thread (subscribed). Just a quicky - where did you get the Cup 172 Stickers? Desperately want some....

Cheers, I will sell you these as I have decided not to fit, brand new original badges?

I still don't understand how your car has no bias valve

My understanding was that the bias was either done with a valve over the rear beam or internally in the ABS system
But if you have no abs and no bias valve then surely the rear is gonna lock up loads?

Cup In bits
​Nope brakes lovely.

Me neither tbh, my only idea is a different master cylinder with different sized pistons proportioning the force, it brakes perfect even in the wet. I'm uploading a video just now, you will see its fine. It has a better feeling to the pedal since fitting the brembos but that might have been because it was overdue a fluid change.

Cup In bits
Hopefully this works

[.video=youtube;5_NDaYTmwHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_NDaYTmwHQ[/video.]

edit: FAIL, is there an app for imbedding videos? Too lazy to type it out.

Lol on youtube copy the link under the share icon, then when replying to the thread on the forum click the video icon and paste the link in and job done

[video=youtube_share;5_NDaYTmwHQ]http://youtu.be/5_NDaYTmwHQ[/video]

P.S I agree with Freddy, I've run less than £10 rear pads in mine and they do so little its not an issue. I firstly ran PF97's and had no end of issues with locking the rears. I've got them still if you are set on getting some decent rear pads :)

Cup In bits
Cheers James for the imbed.

Im too cheap to throw away a set of new pads, these still have loads of life left, a little crumbling won't hurt anyone....hopefully. Its cool I'm not wanting mental brakes on this thing anyway, there's already enough noise with the exhaust fitted, french interior rattles so don't need to add squeaky brakes to that list for a daily. I will take you up on that offer if you have a nearly new oem outer rear pad (can't remember if there sided)

Cup In bits
Removed my front pads for a look today, seem okay tbh. Spigot ring was a but worse for wear, it has melted to the spacer.

11285644-77F7-4777-9CEE-E5D1B76FE7CD-4846-00000336EA0EF684_zps65cc5ea5.jpg

7FE094E5-EDBA-42DC-BEE4-656F27E07879-4846-00000336DE612BB7_zpsc806d7ba.jpg

Tyres not looking the best, fair but of feathering just in from the outer edges.

7A341D5A-BF98-46D8-A096-B5E134CFBF98-4846-00000336F9EC5FA7_zpsd5705445.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
That pad looks normal.

37C703BF-C826-4C12-902B-E031D982C066-4846-0000030EA0740297_zpsdc9a36af.jpg

​Spigot rings are a pain, that's why we changed wheels, so that we didn't need them.

Cup In bits
That pad looks normal.

​Spigot rings are a pain, that's why we changed wheels, so that we didn't need them.

I hope that's sarcasm haha.

Yeah not ideal, they are still in one piece and the rough shape they came, just a little lip gone from them. TD will be giving me more if they get worse tbh, they are meant to be Motorsport wheels FFS.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I was going to say when you said you were fitting plastic spigot rings that they would melt but didn't for some reason lol.

I got some made in aluminium for this reason but mainly use the 2118's so don't need to bother.

Cup In bits
Yeah that's the best solution. Getting these ones from team dynamics I thought they would give you a good quality thermoplast so this didn't happen.

Clio 172 Cup
I've used brembo rear pads since day one, they've been spot on for me.

You about for the Reverse track night on the 15th of may?

Cup In bits
Going to get the headlights setup soon so i'll get them to chuck it on the brake machine to see if anything's not right, cant see it tbh. I just think I was pushing too hard for the setup I had although James has run them for 40 minute races :S

I probably wont be down for that track night, just now it has to be a full day to warrant renting a tow van for the day. I'm just away to hit the button on a HH day on the 19th may??? coming?

Cup In bits
Couple of rubbish small videos from my Mate at track side. Longer videos to follow.

[video=youtube_share;-zaX7UwovnU]http://youtu.be/-zaX7UwovnU[/video]

Just about caught the brake pad falling out, see the tyre smoke from me throwing it in with the handbrake on and pumping the brakes lol.

[video=youtube_share;TBPxVzIo-r8]http://youtu.be/TBPxVzIo-r8[/video]

Cup In bits
Eventually got one video uploaded.

One of the later sessions in the day when it dried up, the car was holding its own against Frazjam's & Michael Foz's fairly sorted stripped out ph1's with coilovers, upgraded brakes and 438's in Michaels case against my thing which is essentially a road car with RARB, springs and a cat back exhaust lol. Tyres get progressively worse as the laps go on until I almost go off going through Clarks, I let Fraser through going into Duffus and try to follow but the tyres cry no more. Its amazing the speed difference out the main straight a set of a048r's can give at the end. I cant wait to get some 15" wheels with slicks/semis and better pads on so I don't need to back off after a few laps. Absolutely loving the Clio, one of the best handling cars I have driven for such a low spec, the back just goes anywhere you want it without being dangerous. Its possible that a RARB is the best mod available for a Clio, I think so anyway.

Excuse the quality i'm just learning how to edit, too squashed in this one.

​ [video=youtube_share;8UvvTrmMMRA]http://youtu.be/8UvvTrmMMRA[/video]

Clio 172 Cup
Good lines Morgan, fairly nipping on.

I won't manage then, weekend away with the other half already booked. We can head down together sometime soon hopefully.

Cup In bits
Good lines Morgan, fairly nipping on.

I won't manage then, weekend away with the other half already booked. We can head down together sometime soon hopefully.

Aye cheers Liam, I will try and make the 15th but will have to wait and see with work.

Cheers, I will sell you these as I have decided not to fit, brand new original badges?

​How much mate?[/QUOTE]

Just what I paid for them mate, £25 delivered? PM if interested.

Cup In bits
Cheers.. I'll PM you friday when I've been paid.

No worries

Great video, nice lines, KH looks like a good circuit, will have to make the pilgrimage one day.

Are you listening to the radio as well? lol

Cheers mate. Its a brilliant little circuit that has massive elevation changes that videos just don't show, if your pushing you can be on two wheels for the first 3/4 of the lap. Definitely worth the travel, BTCC drivers class it as one of the best circuits on the package due to the amount of laps you get and the steep drops. It would be good to see some lads come up here, I know I will be going down to Brands some time soon which if my geography is right its your local?

Hahaha tbh I never even noticed it was on at the time, was in the zone :evil:. Its the circuit station that tells you what group is out next etc, some dire music in that session though.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Must have been a squeaky bum moment with the lack of brakes going into duffus. That corner catches out many with brakes so well done holding onto that one.

​Good vids too, makes me want to get back on big time!

Cup In bits
Yeah it was, I knew what happened straight away as well for some reason, pity I forgot to put on the go pro as I was giving michael foz's missus a run. I was lucky the handbrake locked on the o/s/r or I was off tbh.

Watching the vids makes me want back out too, will see if I get a chance to give the car a check over tomorrow, fit standard calipers and run my 15" wheels then I will be down again thurs night.

Cup In bits
Another video uploaded from the 2nd last session, I managed to change the settings so the video isn't squashed. I was caught between two paps, one in a Astra that thought he was racing me, luckilly I seen him make a dive at the hairpin and let him through and the 206 driver who was bordering on dangerous. I missed a load of good footage from earlier in the day when it was raining which im gutted about.

I had to back off again a lot as I wanted to still have usable tyres by the end of it.

[video=youtube_share;JRktu9WsUQQ]http://youtu.be/JRktu9WsUQQ[/video]

Cup In bits
Started checking the car over tonight after Sunday with the intention of going out tomorrow night at Knockhill. I have been called away to work tomorrow which is typical. Anyway rear wheel bearing is gone, I think I have diagnosed a misfire down to a duff injector, needs new rear pads (other side from the pad falling out are fine so it was probably a set of duff pads why they crumbled at the edges) rear pad shims and clips, had a leaky caliper where the pads came out, looks to be fine after screwing it back in.

I will get bits ordered up for coming home as I'm booked on for the 19th may at Knockhill for Ford fair. List so far is fit my standard front calipers with PF97's, new rear pads, shims and clips, bleed the brakes, fit bearing, adjust exhaust, swap injectors out with freshly cleaned ones, change to 2118's with either slicks or a048R's depending on weather. Slicks will probably be overkill for my setup tbh. Hopefully my tyres will last a few laps longer this time.

Rear tyres are worse than the fronts :( , they have only done 250 miles. All the blocks have started to melt and are feathered, pics don't really show it well.

88E8DEE4-4196-4310-9C42-3E9CABDAE07C-7838-0000055E7A0E7721_zps32d34f0f.jpg

Cup In bits
Update.

With a track day on Sunday I set about getting the car ready today.

Fitted new Brembo rear pads again along with shim, springs and clips. I decided to fit my set of DS2500's to the 4 pots instead of swapping to standard callipers, PF97's and 15" wheels and tyres I have at my unit. Staying with the 4 pots meant I had to keep my 16" wheels so I bought some better tyres for them rims too and decided on 595 RS-R's in 205/45. The rear bearing was replaced as well on the same side where the pads fell out and the exhaust was re aligned. Some new PMS nuts fitted as I miss placed a few when my wheel decided to come off a while back. I got a set of injectors ultrasonically cleaned which has got rid of the light load misfire I was getting and just generally made it a better drive so im happy with that, few extra pony's released there.

6955A9BB-7D92-42CC-BF9B-840A7C9A10E6-8061-0000069BFDCB37B8_zps0e57c4e7.jpg

I then fitted a new gear gaiter as the car came with broken clips which was annoying me.

EE65E5EB-E239-457D-9A70-51DD6413A0E6-8061-0000069BF6D83BA7_zpsb98d522c.jpg

I also received a nice little package this morning, shame I can't fit it as I couldn't get it mapped before Sunday and didn't want to risk the engine with a dodgy map on track. Some people have said I won't notice a difference on track with the RS2 so I'm not 100% on fitting it now?!?

7FC3ED3B-71BC-4F9A-B753-C84238227139-8061-0000069C05F55E3D_zps5dd2321a.jpg

Cup In bits
Forgot to say I had it on a brake tester today and everything is good in the hood. From a few people's comments of having too much rear braking effort when they seen the old pads condition I thought it would be work checking, still none the wiser how my car has no bias valve and how they were so bad, maybe a duff set of pads or I just really abused them, probably the later.

So that just leaves bedding in the brakes, put a few heat cycles through the tyres, wash it and its ready to be thrashed again.