ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Bought a Christmas present to myself today….

ScreenShot2013-12-23at131947_zps189b1880.png

CAT-CAMSRENAULTF4RKITARBRE-A-CAMEAVECLINGUETMECANIQUEETRESSORTDOUBLE_zpse006d189.jpg

Whoops :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
FFS, I would love to be on your Christmas card list James! I would love these but just too much for me

Excuse my ignorance but what is that? A solid lifter kit?

Isn't that like thousands and thousands of pounds lol.

looks very impressive, even though I have no idea what it does lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What's the benefit of it chip? In basic terms ;)

Allowing the top end of the engine to rev to a higher peak figure without snapping the rockers.
And also allowing it to stay near the top of the rev range for long periods without the lifters ending up rattling like a 2 bob watch and losing you valve lift (and hence performance) at the end of a track session or during a long race.

Makes it one step closer to being a standard honda engine, lol.

Last edited:

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Yes it is, and yes new they are best part of 4K IIRC

Unless you know someone who bought this kit , then changed plans and spunked a shed load of money on a WRC Impreza and doesn't need them anymore , then it can be bought very reasonably lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Unless you know someone who bought this kit , then changed plans and spunked a shed load of money on a WRC Impreza and doesn't need them anymore , then it can be bought very reasonably lol
Ha ha

If you have a twin brother with another set at the same money then let me know!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
£4k on cams but you can't afford to race next year?

I thought my priorities were backwards lol. Mines not moved since the PMS shifter kit went on lol

Not 4K, and the money is only actually spent if he puts them in an engine and damages them, until then its as good as in the bank still TBH.

But while you are tracking his finances, hasnt he had loads of changes in his personal circumstances recently anyway?

Not 4K, and the money is only actually spent if he puts them in an engine and damages them, until then its as good as in the bank still TBH.

But while you are tracking his finances, hasnt he had loads of changes in his personal circumstances recently anyway?

Hardly the same as cash in the bank - everything devalues as soon as you buy it.
But nice bitchy response. I like it!

Merry christmas lol

E46 M3 + Ph1 172

If it was in the bank, it could have been spent on races, now it cant be spent on races.
Thats what Phil was trying to get at id have thought...

But yea, plenty of purchases can see all of your money back, like 90% of parts on our PH1, apart from the car itself...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If it was in the bank, it could have been spent on races, now it cant be spent on races.

If he decides he wants races instead, he can still spend it on that, he got a good deal off Ian that a couple of us would be happy to give James his money back on I would wager, thats what I meant if he changes his mind.

Makes perfect sense to me for him to buy them now while he can get them cheap then later on he can decide to use them or sell them on again, where as if he didnt snap them up now and wanted them later on it would have cost a lot more.

That's information you had (getting them cheap 2nd hand) and I didn't - but still a good dig ;)

There's loads of stuff needs doing on mine (cambelt - I THINK, new omex loom, diff, tyres, etc...) but I've decided instead to buy some part worn 888's and drive it till it breaks.
I've spent too much money buying things and then not being able to use it, decided in 2014 to abuse the hell out of it and just fix what breaks :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That's information you had (getting them cheap 2nd hand) and I didn't - but still a good dig ;)

Didnt realise him getting them off speedy wasnt common knowledge TBH mate.

There's loads of stuff needs doing on mine (cambelt - I THINK, new omex loom, diff, tyres, etc...) but I've decided instead to buy some part worn 888's and drive it till it breaks.
I've spent too much money buying things and then not being able to use it, decided in 2014 to abuse the hell out of it and just fix what breaks :D

If its working well then just using it seems like a good plan to me mate :)
TBH continually changing your car trying to make it quicker normally has the opposite effect on the driver, as you dont ever get to really learn the car if its different every time you go out.

Aye - Since doing all the geometry work, epas and other bits I've only driven it once on that Cadwell evening and it felt like a different car. So much more grip and quicker turn in.

Gonna wang some good rubber on it and spend 6 months getting to grips with the car :D

It maybe was common knowledge tbh mate but I don't get on here much any more. The amount of time I spend on CS is directly proportional to how angry I feel ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Aye - Since doing all the geometry work, epas and other bits I've only driven it once on that Cadwell evening and it felt like a different car. So much more grip and quicker turn in.

Gonna wang some good rubber on it and spend 6 months getting to grips with the car :D

Even a standard 172 on decent rubber can make really good progress if driven hard, so you should certainly be able to get round quicker than most folk in yours if you are pedalling it well.

It maybe was common knowledge tbh mate but I don't get on here much any more. The amount of time I spend on CS is directly proportional to how angry I feel ;)

Venting your rage through a keyboard, how very manly of you, lol.
If it doesnt work though, you can always pop round mine and call the kitten names, that is pretty manly too.

3C97FDFF-2648-4E62-AE8D-0997D018ED1B-228-00000023D3F468E9_zps7bb01891.jpg

You decided if your racing next year yet James?
Circumstances have now changed a bit but not really changed plans to be honest. I am hoping to do Bedford in Feb if my gearbox is fixed in time, I’m doing Nurburgring and Spa in April, then making the car road legal to go to Le Mans in June so just a few different bits and bobs :) I may do a race or 2 for a laugh but I’m not really committing myself to a plan as my life seems to change week by week at the moment lol!
Well the excuse that he can't afford to has just gone out the window.:cry:
Didn’t realise I needed an excuse :rasp: lol
:star: Thanks again Ian!

Santa came this morning :)

5715E49F-720F-49D6-B43A-2499ED5D0A17_zpsyx4th6xw.gif

6805ADB4-8952-413D-93A6-3997709EB18C_zpspgff3mzl.gif

37F55426-0813-4F76-9AA0-279F7F2AA1AE_zpsgsnazw1q.gif

F3F366C5-07E7-4D10-90D8-DC0E108F6071_zpsnsqbypsf.gif

The quality is very impressive!

So over the next few weeks i’ll decide what i’m going to do with the engine, part of me is tempted to build it into a head and fit it onto my existing block, rev it to 8k and probably make about 250bhp. (Could do this while i’m at home this week)

Or (most probable route) build the kit into a spare engine and go with Steel crank, long rods, slipper pistons etc I’ve been speaking to a few companies about a dry sump kit so I think that would be needed and then rev it to 9K where it would probably see around 270-280bhp. Would be one hell of a screamer :) I don’t really need that kind of power though and it certainly brings a lot of risks with it but I want to try something new and learn more so we will see.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
p**n!

Edit - seeing your car with a tax disc would in some small way make me cry but then I bet it would be amazing around those roundabouts of MK

Cup In bits
Nice one James and a merry Christmas to you, Santa has been nice. Can I suggest plan 3, hold onto the kit until later next year and sell it to me ;)

That ramp angle is nuts to look at. Am I right that the only maching that needs done is a passage for the rocker shaft? nothing needs doing to the follower buckets, cam cover etc?

Santa came this morning :)

The quality is very impressive!

Or (most probable route) build the kit into a spare engine and go with Steel crank, long rods, slipper pistons etc I’ve been speaking to a few companies about a dry sump kit so I think that would be needed and then rev it to 9K where it would probably see around 270-280bhp. Would be one hell of a screamer :) I don’t really need that kind of power though and it certainly brings a lot of risks with it but I want to try something new and learn more so we will see.

Sweet baby Jesus

340i
Oooh I've been really tempted to head over to le mans in June too, but the thought of driving all that way in fixed buckets scares me lol

I did 3.5K miles around Europe in gutted clio with fixed buckets seats. If anything I found it comfier than standard 172 seats!