ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

f*cking awesome mate and massively deserved.
​fair play and congrats
Thanks Neil :)
EFA my friend! :eek: Flol!
F you :p
Sounds sweet
The BTM system does sound nice even better higher up the rev range :)
more zip ties!! FFS!!
Lol best solution for there unfortunately. I don't like them but they do have there uses occasionally.
Being powdercoated next lol.
Don't joke I was looking at orange ones yesterday in Farnells catalogue ;) lol

Clio 172
Well done James, saw the video on facebook of it starting, a very impressive looking car and a credit to your determination and eye for detail.

Clio 172 Cup
You would be in Club N/A James if you were to enter time attack, i think the tdi North FN2 civic is probably one of the quickest this year.

You're clio would be in with a very good chance in that class.

You would be in Club N/A James if you were to enter time attack, i think the tdi North FN2 civic is probably one of the quickest this year.

Mmmm I need to do some more research really and look into it but the website seems fairly pants lol

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Didn't realise that Kelv, are you going to Oulton?

Im not quite sure about Oulton as yet, its not long after our baby due date, so time will tell.
plus the guy I normally help out with has now thrown in the towel after a disasterous Snetterton weekend, with the fywheel clean snapping off the crank.
not such a big issue on its own but the car has been a b**ch to get right all season and I think the money aspect, along with patience and time has finally found him beaten :(

If all goes well tho, I may well head up with another mate who competes for a social few days dependant on the baby of course! :)

Im not quite sure about Oulton as yet, its not long after our baby due date, so time will tell.
plus the guy I normally help out with has now thrown in the towel after a disasterous Snetterton weekend, with the fywheel clean snapping off the crank.
not such a big issue on its own but the car has been a b**ch to get right all season and I think the money aspect, along with patience and time has finally found him beaten :(

If all goes well tho, I may well head up with another mate who competes for a social few days dependant on the baby of course! :)
Ahh congratulations :)

Ouch sounds like my season last year lol

Well I will be there either way I think mate so if you end up making it i'm sure i'll bump into you :)

182cup & 172 racecar

Some of the times I've been doing this year, would have put me quite high up I think.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Well done James, car looks fantastic!
As others have said, credit to you for sticking at it seeing it through, I'm sure many would have thrown the towel in after what you've been through.
Then just when you thought TDF saga was finished, another bit crops up!! That starter cable truly is shameful, I've seen some pretty rough repairs in my time, hell I've had to bodge things at race meetings to get a car running again but that takes the biscuit! There's no excusing that.

more zip ties!! FFS!!

I appreciate your dislike for over using cable ties, and more so using them where they shouldn't be but I assume this is in jest?

Some of the times I've been doing this year, would have put me quite high up I think.
Where did you find the lap times they do mate as I can't find anything on TSL etc?
As others have said, credit to you for sticking at it seeing it through, I'm sure many would have thrown the towel in after what you've been through.
Then just when you thought TDF saga was finished, another bit crops up!! That starter cable truly is shameful, I've seen some pretty rough repairs in my time, hell I've had to bodge things at race meetings to get a car running again but that takes the biscuit! There's no excusing that.
Thanks Kenny :) Giving up had never really been on my agenda at any point thankfully but its not been plain sailing at times.

Lol it's my own fault for refitting the wire I should of known better I suppose. No real harm done though thankfully.

Glad its running James! Saw on FB your taking it to CSS so ill come have a nosey, certainly changed since that first test day at snetterton, and all for the better!
Thanks Dan. Yes mate thought I should come down and have a nosey around as never been to one before. Yes it certainly has since then :) thanks!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Time attack looks proper pony compared to actual racing for a car like yours, its just a sprint/hillclimb essentially, would have thought you would find it boring James!

Its a cool format in that it allows modifications that would be kicked out of other series, so it gives you the chance to build something with essentially no limits, but if you have a very series limited car like yours, then all you are really going to be doing is driving around a track moderately quickly on your own.

Give it a go, but I reckon you will get bored quickly in your car, its just too damn slow to be any fun on an empty racetrack I reckon!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Last edited:
I know what you mean Chip but I'm not talking about doing it for the rest of my life just a one off :) I've found the section on tsl now and yes doesn't look like I should be a million miles off. Will see how testing goes and go from there :)

Lionel Richie

I appreciate your dislike for over using cable ties, and more so using them where they shouldn't be but I assume this is in jest?

Semi in jest, why not heat shrink the trigger wire and big 12v together = no zip ties needed, I spend hours going out of my way to not use them, hateful things! This car came into us with 73 zip ties in the engine bay, 4 days later after no sleep, it left with 1 ( which was fitted just for comedy value round a coolant pipe!)

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
You won't like my car much then there are one or two dozen on it already! But if it makes any different they are all neat, heads lined up, snipped flush so there's no wee jaggy bit

I appreciate where your coming from though, if there's a better solution, p-clip, heatshrink etc then fair enough but I don't see what's so bad about them used in the correct way.

Mapping:

So didn't really touch the car for a few days and then went to start it on Monday to load it to the trailer to go for mapping the following day. It wouldn't fire, tried everything and no spark. Went to buy a new coil pack but still no use. I realised that I had left the ECU switched on since Friday and it had been on trickle charge, Chip suggested I might have blown the coil drivers (Not looking good for mapping 18 hours later)

I took the car to Will where he did some tests on the ECU and sure enough no coil outputs. Will runs the SC Tornado ECU in one of his cars so this would in theory run on my car which normally has the SC Typhoon. Thankfully it did and the car was fine once again. We left it idling while checking the balance of the ITB's and idle speed. Suddenly the alternator started to seize up and smoke I turned the car off and then restarted it, sure enough the alternator wasn't charging. The alternator had been absolutely blasted in oil and then brake cleaner when the engine blew up at Spa last year so that is all I can think caused the failure. Got on the phone to find a new alternator but no chance of getting one in time for the dyno booking. I drove home (about 1 hr each way) to collect my spare and got the old one out and new one fitted in 8 minutes and then loaded straight onto the trailer. We arrived for the dyno a couple of hours late but we had warned them and they were fine with it. Mapping proceeded and went very well, the car held the high rpm for sustained periods of time with no issues and to say it was the first time it had been properly run up not fluid leaks or other issues for that matter. The rolling road it went on uses a Dyna pac which is a hub mounted dyno so gives at the wheels figures rather than the more typical at the fly figures, they don't try and calculate transmission losses etc so I'm not 100% how the figures translate to the normal flywheel figures.

The results were 170bhp at the wheels and 140IBf/t at the fly. The engine is running non VVT 421 cams and AT Power ITB's and it did feel good from the bit of driving I did last night :) The cam timing I put on for this year was Cat cam's recommendation and the power delivery is quite different to last year with much more midrange and holding the power for longer. It doesn't keep making the power beyond the revlimit like last year so that is good as I don't have to rev it quite so hard. Cat Cam's said to time it up as per their instructions and then tweak from there. More power will definitely be available by tweaking the cam timing but it's the time and money involved so will have to see how things go.

The original plan was for RS-Tuning to do the engine mapping as they have done alot of the work on my previous cars and Pauls work is always absolutely perfect however Will Pedley Racing have been helping me out with advice over winter on the wiring loom and I am going to be starting to work for Will in July so it was only right for Will to do the mapping for me and he has been putting in loads of hours helping me out with the car so massive thank to him for all the hard work :)

A few pictures and a video :)

[video=youtube_share;CIds3S8SPYQ]http://youtu.be/CIds3S8SPYQ[/video]

file_zps12619179.jpg

Loaned temporary ECU :)
file_zps60c9c92f.jpg

file_zps8ef1b1e8.jpg

file_zps4969949c.jpg

17 hours after leaving home!
file_zps1dcb4546.jpg

Thanks for reading :)

James

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cool to hear Will has given you a job.

When I introduced you to him I expected you to get on well but not THAT well, lol.

Thanks guys :)

Testing will start next week but I need to see when as my tow car is off for some work and I don't have access to any other car I can tow with.

Schedule is:

Oulton 20th July Time Attack
Mallory 3rd August French Trophy
Donington 24th August Tintops
Oulton 21st September Tintops
Oulton 28th September French Trophy (Not sure i'm going to do this yet as 2 consecutive race weekends at the same circuit might be a bit repetitive)
Donnington 20th October French Trophy Winter series
Cool to hear Will has given you a job.

When I introduced you to him I expected you to get on well but not THAT well, lol.
Haha thanks mate :) Yes i'm really looking forward to it!