ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Well I wasn't far off the was I.

Never get a clio anywhere near that power to weight ratio.

It goes well.
Shame about the 106 though.

If I got the sums right the saxo is 266hp per ton and my clio is 263 (242hp and 920kg) so not a million miles away , and my car could be made a lot lighter

Video is uploading now should be done by the time I get in tonight so I will get it up :)

Interesting weld.... lol

best of luck for the rebuild hopefully its not too costly mate..
Haha I think my mate was trying to be very careful obviously welding it with the gearbox all in one piece we were both laughing at the aesthetics :)

Thanks buddy!
Pretty sure you can buy the ultralegs seperate mate, lark speed advertise them for circa £135 each, I might need one too as I have a bent one.
Russ
Ahh great stuff and yes just looked at the link Jamie put on :) Mine is only good for the bin lol
Blimey you dont mess about. Cant believe you got all that done after driving home. Sorry to hear about the engine isdue too thats really bad luck. Hope you get it up and running again soon and doesnt cost too much hard earned.

I was really impressed with the way the car had been prepped. Stunning car and looked very quick on track
Great to see you guys yesterday :) Haha yes wanted to see how it was and then can get the shell off this week onto the jig hopefully :) Just trying to see if I can get all the bits and get it back out for Donington need a win this year :)

Thank you that's what I try to work hard on to make sure it's reliable this gearbox issue thankfully has been the only problem but still very annoying :(
Sorry about bringing bad news with me as well as a helping hand mate. Me and Lesley were hoping by coming over it would help your chances of making your next race, but having to turn round and tell you that you've got a ring seal issue has no doubt done the opposite.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help although personally given the cost of each race meeting I must confess if in your position I would just decide it wasn't worth a quick fix to try and get back out. But if you do want to re ring the motor I don't mind coming ove and building it back up with you, or you could bring it here as I've got better facilities for it.
I'm really glad you did mate as it would have been very annoying to refit the engine and then realise. Really really appreciate you both coming up at such short notice made a dull job nice and fun :) I think I can make it just a few very busy weeks!

Thank you I will work out a plan and run it past you!
Good to see you again James. Shame the weekend finished the way it did.
Hope you can get out in something next year.
See you soon pal.
Likewise buddy :) Well done on your weekend cracking laptime in quali I saw when I looked on tsl this morning!

Clio 172
Sorry to hear about the gearbox and ensuing accident James, cars can be fixed and at least as you said it went wel in qualifying. I also I have an engine, complete and with recent cambelt.

Clio 172 Cup
I put my box to Bucks Gearboxes in Aylesbury I think it is, he fitted my gripper and final drive. Does all the Evo rally car sequential boxes etc and knows his stuff. I will get you the number tonight.

Clio 182 Race Car
That Saxo was a flying machine but I'm guessing a lot of money and development has gone into it, but to be honest it wants to be quick really as the engine in it will have cost at least 50% of my total car build + I'm pretty sure Ian's clio last weekend in Danny's hands was still doing better times than it was.
Russ

To be fair to Paul, he was quicker than Danny in my car last week, but that is a serious bit of kit and Paul can obviously pedal it! The 106 shell prep was done at Torquespeed the same place as mine and the engine is an all steel 9000rpm screamer (although he ONLY revs it to 8500!). Paul told me yesterday that the car was "around" 220 bhp when built but has had a full season so it will be down on that now, also he told me the weight which was less than 750 Kg by a fair margin. I don't feel "shown up" other than for my below average driving this weekend!

Clio 200
Also can anyone recommend a gearbox place with experience of the JC5 box and also fitting the grippers?

There's a place up in Cumbria that Russ and I have used in the past James. He'll be doing my TL4 gripper install in the next few weeks and did Russ'. That said, after the problems he had with that, I'm not sure he'll ever go near another JC5 again...! Happy to pass on his number and, depending on timescales sort out getting both our boxes up to him...

Kev

Clio 200
I managed to limp it to the end of the race with a pretty horrific handling car but anyway. The headlight was just dangling from the loom smashed to bits so that got launched straight in the bin! The front chassis leg looks to of been pushed over to the eye and also there are cracks on the seam sealer to suggest its moved, the wheel it fooked, something is bent on the steering, subframe is kinked, bonnet mount points have moved and the end part of the chassis is pushed in.

With that amount of damage it's almost embarrassing that I still couldn't catch you in the last couple of laps!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
To be fair to Paul, he was quicker than Danny in my car last week, but that is a serious bit of kit and Paul can obviously pedal it! The 106 shell prep was done at Torquespeed the same place as mine and the engine is an all steel 9000rpm screamer (although he ONLY revs it to 8500!). Paul told me yesterday that the car was "around" 220 bhp when built but has had a full season so it will be down on that now, also he told me the weight which was less than 750 Kg by a fair margin. I don't feel "shown up" other than for my below average driving this weekend!

I will ask Mossy and get the facts but its not way less than 750 KG I would work on 250 power to weight which is no problem for a clio.

If you need my old Cup box James give us a PM or txt, it's 54k and has a crunch 2nd/3rd if you need it as a quick fix for Donni, sorry to hear you had problems but looks like a you had a good quali, great time and well done all the other Clio drivers.

Regards Russ...

Lionel Richie
Also can anyone recommend a gearbox place with experience of the JC5 box and also fitting the grippers?

hi my name is Fred, my company has the big sticker on the side of your car, i've already told you 3 times i'll do it, but you want to be let down elsewhere AGAIN.....

hi my name is Fred, my company has the big sticker on the side of your car, i've already told you 3 times i'll do it, but you want to be let down elsewhere AGAIN.....

lmao... epic sales pitch...

with regards to the saxo, I`m not sure on who built his engine but I would say his PtoW ratio is a lot closer to 300 than you`d like/imagine/hope..

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
I know who built the engine in Mossys car and it wasnt Sandy. Will find out on the weight.

WRX
I know who built the engine in Mossys car and it wasnt Sandy. Will find out on the weight.

hahaha not with "only" 220 it wasn't

Sandy built mine and I'm no where near 220, or 200 for that matter.
I went to him for reliability and tractability :p

Paddock rumourmill went into overdrive then.
I suppose whenever somebody sees a Peugeot type engine going well, they just presume Sandy's involved.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Heres one for the album :D

oultonjames.jpg

Sorry to hear about the gearbox and ensuing accident James, cars can be fixed and at least as you said it went wel in qualifying. I also I have an engine, complete and with recent cambelt.
Thanks Andy :) Unfortunately i'd need to rip the other engine up for bits anyway so probably not ideally what I need but thanks for letting me know!
I put my box to Bucks Gearboxes in Aylesbury I think it is, he fitted my gripper and final drive. Does all the Evo rally car sequential boxes etc and knows his stuff. I will get you the number tonight.
Ahhh sounds good thanks Liam :)
There's a place up in Cumbria that Russ and I have used in the past James. He'll be doing my TL4 gripper install in the next few weeks and did Russ'. That said, after the problems he had with that, I'm not sure he'll ever go near another JC5 again...! Happy to pass on his number and, depending on timescales sort out getting both our boxes up to him...

Kev
Hi mate haha yes I remember Russ's not going to plan, If you could that would be appreciated just trying to get a few options available at the moment incase I choose to race at Donington. That would work well let me know if you don't mind and i'll see what they say :)
I will ask Mossy and get the facts but its not way less than 750 KG I would work on 250 power to weight which is no problem for a clio.
I would have to spend over 10k on an engine and change cages in my car to get to that power to weight ratio.
HI :star: Nooo I don't mate just trying to get a backup plan incase I can't find another gearbox until very last minuite. Ideally yes I will just bring it all down and we can sort it but I can't think when I'm going to be able to. I'll call you tomorrow if you are free to chat :)
Heres one for the album :D

oultonjames.jpg
A slight positive for the day :) That and the fact I can actually put the gazebo away myself lol

Thanks again for yesterday couldn't have managed without your help!
Gripper themselves?
Chip and I mentioned that this evening. A few options in case I need them so thanks :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
:( Gutted for you, James. If it wasn't for bad luck then you wouldn't have any. It's all the more frustrating given the times/potential you and the car were hinting at in practice/quali./race. I hope you can get it sorted soon and it doesn't set your racing plans back too badly.

Just watched your vid, was going well until the pass on Tony, smiled when I read your disclamer at the end of your vid. I'm sure you wouldv'e out braked yourself oil or no oil, Tony was always going for the apex - you knew this I take it? I did notice the massive gains you were getting on Tony under braking on almost all corners so perhaps a late lunge wasn't required?

Seems you want to get results all the time (which is no bad thing) - and which I know is not always possible and patience always pays off I find.

Still - damage is damage and sounds like you've a fair bit to get sorted and get it ready in time for Donington, hope to see you there.

Just re read this and it sounds a bit patronising - not meant to be, I know I wasn't in either car or there, just my opinion from what I've seen on your video.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ive no sound so maybe thats making it look different to me, but that didnt look like an attempted overtake in the first place, looked like James went to break while behind tony and then when he didnt slow enough he moved over to avoid rear ending him, with the intention of carrying on breaking, but didnt have enough brakes to do so which left him with no choice but to turn into the corner and hope Tony could give him enough space?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Ive no sound so maybe thats making it look different to me, but that didnt look like an attempted overtake in the first place, looked like James went to break while behind tony and then when he didnt slow enough he moved over to avoid rear ending him, with the intention of carrying on breaking, but didnt have enough brakes to do so which left him with no choice but to turn into the corner and hope Tony could give him enough space?

This tbf.

You can hear the tyres skidding well before they collide. Looks to me like a very unfortunate accident. James goes wide so he doesn't rear end Tony but then with no braking power just runs out of room as Tony is turning in.

Of course there's more than my opinion - an unquailfied one at that, as I stated in my edit. I haven't sound either so will listen later.

Last edited: