ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW 535d

535d / t5 caravelle
yep no towing, more often than not i have the kids in the car with me, so steady away[emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I’m now thinking I may just leave it, especially now your thinking the same! It’s not like I hammer it about either, so it’s got a pretty easy life ( for now ) I’ll do a bit more digging around I think.

Mine was done at some point between 120k and 150k miles though (receipt doesnt have miles on it doh), but as its now on 235k ...

That might be the better option? If you're not giving it death everywhere and unlike @f0xy who uses his for towing - probably leaving it alone makes more sense.

Mines had a hard life being used for a lot of towing (across Europe and UK), along with being mapped the entire time

535d / t5 caravelle
Removed the phone cradle today to make more room in the storage compartment, my mrs is taking the car to work tomorrow for the 1st time, she has only driven it on an a road with me in for about 2 miles, not sure who’s more nervous me or her, She’s avoided using it since the mini sold, as it’s huge in comparison and an auto, but it will be her daily driver soon enough, so she had better get used to it ( hence me delaying the wheel refurb ?)

Cars awesome, especially on the motorway, such a big cruiser, enjoying the luxury drive still.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Removed the phone cradle today to make more room in the storage compartment, my mrs is taking the car to work tomorrow for the 1st time, she has only driven it on an a road with me in for about 2 miles, not sure who’s more nervous me or her, She’s avoided using it since the mini sold, as it’s huge in comparison and an auto, but it will be her daily driver soon enough, so she had better get used to it ( hence me delaying the wheel refurb [emoji23])

Cars awesome, especially on the motorway, such a big cruiser, enjoying the luxury drive still.

Have you checked the temps yet ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

535d / t5 caravelle
picked 5 of these up today for me winters, boot swallowed them up!
7fad786c2b4e57a5631079cbbb2a2c04.jpg
30b91a0d5fff065be6db1b35f76ca414.jpg

535d / t5 caravelle
right, finally checked my engine temp after an hour drive on the motorway @ 70mph.

81 degrees.

what should it be?

also if i get the temperature guage up, then start car and drive it, does it stay on so you can monitor it?

535d / t5 caravelle
no wonder he sold it [emoji23]

quite glad if this is the case tbh, should see improved mpg

will check it again tonight after a drive

535d / t5 caravelle
had a nosey on that link, presume once i get the temp display up, its stays on whilst driving, got an hour drive home soon, so will put it in and monitor what it does.

looks like both thermostats will be getting changed.

on another note, rang up harper motorsports today for a price on a remap, dpf gutting and egr delete ( getting back to me with a price )

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Yeah, the hidden menu stays on until you turn the car off iirc.

Re: the other stuff, genuinely, i would advise using BWChiptune (they can map remotedly on a dyno), yes, it may cost a bit more than elsewhere, but they do it properly. So many people just dump a load of fuel in and it smokes like a chimney, or they dont turn the EGR off properly, so it smokes on idle etc. You'll get circa 365bhp from them with the DPF on, or 375bhp with it off. DPF off does smell, so its not something id advise unless its knackered personally. (y)

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
How do you check the temp? In my e90 id like to give this a go too just to check it

535d / t5 caravelle
Yeah, the hidden menu stays on until you turn the car off iirc.

Re: the other stuff, genuinely, i would advise using BWChiptune (they can map remotedly on a dyno), yes, it may cost a bit more than elsewhere, but they do it properly. So many people just dump a load of fuel in and it smokes like a chimney, or they dont turn the EGR off properly, so it smokes on idle etc. You'll get circa 365bhp from them with the DPF on, or 375bhp with it off. DPF off does smell, so its not something id advise unless its knackered personally. (y)

thats good regarding the hidden menu, harper motorsports is well regarded on bmw5 forum, the guys username is mashed potatoes, not sure if hes on any bmw forums you use? but if remaps are mentioned, hes the guy to see apparently, seems to lnow his stuff, plus there only an hour away, not doubting bwchiptune, but there 3.5 hours away, i can just about manage escaping from house for 5 minutes never mind a day lol.

still looking round really, so nothings booked in yet.

360bhp+ will be plenty [emoji16]

my dpf's fine, but just thinking of removing it, whilst it gets mapped, as a bit of a preventative measure, in case it f***s up at a later date.

535d / t5 caravelle
Just landed back from a 40 minute drive, 90% motorway rest A roads.

Starting temp - 65

10 minutes later averaging about 50mph - 75

Next 25 minutes or so I’m sat at 70mph, temp goes as follows

So peaked at 80, then slowly tailed off

Sat at 50mph next - 72

Then 30mph - 70, finished on 67.

535d / t5 caravelle
Stats fucked. It’ll stop the dpf regen too with it being that cool.

So presume I’m best replacing both stats whilst I’m at it? Wonder how long it’s been fucked! Might see if my mate can sort it next week, glad I checked it now lol.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Just landed back from a 40 minute drive, 90% motorway rest A roads.

Starting temp - 65

10 minutes later averaging about 50mph - 75

Next 25 minutes or so I’m sat at 70mph, temp goes as follows

So peaked at 80, then slowly tailed off

Sat at 50mph next - 72

Then 30mph - 70, finished on 67.

Most cars I have driven with oil temp guage always run between 89-105

105 being summer motorway temps never below 87 when warm.

Would say average temp is about 92

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
thats good regarding the hidden menu, harper motorsports is well regarded on bmw5 forum, the guys username is mashed potatoes, not sure if hes on any bmw forums you use?

Just had a quick browse, hadnt heard of him before, but looks like he knows his onions.

Your thermostats are definitely broken :ROFLMAO:

535d / t5 caravelle
Sorting it will save ya the cost in diesel ??

It will help if nothing else, also read of other issues occurring due to broken stats.

Just had a quick browse, hadnt heard of him before, but looks like he knows his onions.

Your thermostats are definitely broken :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, seems to be the man in the know on the forum, had a price on remap, dpf/egr delete £564-360bhp.I’d be happy with that, said better to keep the cat for emissions, should have mentioned I have a friendly mot man, will have a think about that. Guessing decat will be a good 370bhp.

You'll probably also find your gearbox heat exchanger thermostat is showing its age too,... I first changed the stats at around 90k, back up to 90-92C all the time. Then after about 30k I started to see a slight drop, only 5-10C or so. Unfortunately, you cannot replace the heat exchanger thermostat, its a full swap out job on the exchanger (££££).

The other way around this is to use an inline VAG thermostat in the return line from the exchanger (£20), which brought my temps back up to 90-92C, and in turn made the box much smoother, as it was probably now running at the correct temperature instead of cool without a working thermostat!

Around 180k I noticed a decrease in MPG again, and the temp was back down to high 70s/low 80s. Around 100k is a good life for them so decided to do both thermostats again, back up to 90-92C no issues. After around a month I started to get a low coolant level warning every couple of days, which turned out to be the waterpump.

It had a good innings being the original on 180k+, so I had to strip the main thermostat off again to change out the waterpump. I would recommend doing this at the same time as the main thermostat, two birds one stone and all that. It has been fine ever since, 90-92C all the time and I would imagine for a good while to come.

I've now replaced it with an LCI F11 535D.... let the fun continue 😂

535d / t5 caravelle
You'll probably also find your gearbox heat exchanger thermostat is showing its age too,... I first changed the stats at around 90k, back up to 90-92C all the time. Then after about 30k I started to see a slight drop, only 5-10C or so. Unfortunately, you cannot replace the heat exchanger thermostat, its a full swap out job on the exchanger (££££).

The other way around this is to use an inline VAG thermostat in the return line from the exchanger (£20), which brought my temps back up to 90-92C, and in turn made the box much smoother, as it was probably now running at the correct temperature instead of cool without a working thermostat!

Around 180k I noticed a decrease in MPG again, and the temp was back down to high 70s/low 80s. Around 100k is a good life for them so decided to do both thermostats again, back up to 90-92C no issues. After around a month I started to get a low coolant level warning every couple of days, which turned out to be the waterpump.

It had a good innings being the original on 180k+, so I had to strip the main thermostat off again to change out the waterpump. I would recommend doing this at the same time as the main thermostat, two birds one stone and all that. It has been fine ever since, 90-92C all the time and I would imagine for a good while to come.

I've now replaced it with an LCI F11 535D.... let the fun continue 😂

I’ve got a mate changing the thermostats in the next couple of weeks, when’s he gets a day off, but he has mentioned the in-line thermostat mod ( although it was a Renault 5 thermostat ) same idea I guess, if I continue to have low temps I’ll get this done 👍

I’m only on 94k, so the water pump could well last the same again, so I’ll come back to that one as and when, cheers

Ps. F11 535d’s look mint and must go some!

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
How you getting on? Just put a deposit down on a estate with 130k on the clock.

Keeping reading all these horror stories with gearboxes shitting themselves 😂

97AC64A5-A492-4246-A4E4-A5C1B55645B2.png

535d / t5 caravelle
How do! Going great actually, had both thermostats replaced about 2 weeks ago, not checked the temps myself yet, but my mate who fit them checked it on his snap on device, it was upto 92 degrees on a quick run, I’ll have a nosey myself, but safe to say it’s sorted, mpg’s Still s**t lol. Might have crept up a little.

Bar that, no issues at all, loving the luxury’s especially now the weathers getting worse, and no problems with the gearbox either ( fingers crossed )

Mapping next year.

Looks a nice example that, no doubt going off your other cars it is! 130k’s nothing looking on ebay, is it a winter run about? a mates on 187k mapped and driven hard, no problems.

Must cost you a fortune laying down extra tarmac each week to accommodate your new cars 👍