ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW inside.

E36 328i
So it seems to be a re-occurring theme on this forum but I have moved over to the BMW darkside. I had a Clio 172 Cup previously:

8086759475_20f4e4b959.jpg

IMG_5055 by matt_13289, on Flickr

Absolutely loved the Clio but I've had a BMW itch for a while that just wouldn't quit. Hence I bought an 328i Sport e36 in Santorini blue. I absolutely love it, its done 140k but came with a new gearbox, clutch and flywheel plus new drive shafts. Car uses no oil or water and doesn't smoke. No Vanos rattles and seems generally solid! It's on coilovers (possibly JOM), spacers and has an e36 M3 catback. Most of the car is polybushed too and rides quite nicely. I only have crap iPhone photos at the moment but once I give it a detail I'll take the camera out and get some decent shots.

It has a few issues to sort out:

Key button doesn't operate central locking/only 1 key
Air con doesn't work (re gassed today with dye to see if there is a leak)
2 rear tyres on order
New numberplates needed
Oil change and general health check

I'm hoping to keep this thread up to date as a record as what I do to it. To say I love it is an understatement.

9023979905_2eefda100f.jpg

Untitled by matt_13289, on Flickr

9026204162_006acb426c.jpg

9023964259_ac7f24844d.jpg

9023962717_f1492c9651.jpg

9023959903_ec55b2f3a2.jpg

9026181942_431da17275.jpg

Oh, and the wheels will need a refurb to appease my OCD.

Thanks for looking.

LY FF182
2.5 exhaust manifold will free up some power if it hasn't already been done. Lovely colour!!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
VERY rare colour, saw this on PH fairly recently actually. Was quite strong money, so assuming its minty mint.

Re: the aircon, it will be the condensor, they all fail, & the standard excuse on adverts is 'aircon needs a re-gas'.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Where the bloody hell did you find this?

I check AT/PH/e36coupe/ebay etc looking for 328i's every friday and never saw this :(

​epic.

That looks fantastic.

Do some research into the M50 inlet manifold swap (not exhaust manifold as mentioned previously)

I had one on mine made by a well known chap online called Alpina527. He adapts the much larger manifolds from the earlier 325i to bolt directly onto the M52 328i engine.

Completely transforms the character of the car, and with the M3 exhaust system should make some very respectable gains (near 25bhp up the top of the rev range).

If you need any more info, let me know.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I like the car, I like the colour but together I'm not so sure. Seems I'm on my own there though..haha

Love the 36's

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
That looks fantastic.

Do some research into the M50 inlet manifold swap (not exhaust manifold as mentioned previously)

I had one on mine made by a well known chap online called Alpina527. He adapts the much larger manifolds from the earlier 325i to bolt directly onto the M52 328i engine.

Completely transforms the character of the car, and with the M3 exhaust system should make some very respectable gains (near 25bhp up the top of the rev range).

If you need any more info, let me know.

I am looking at line for mine, alpina quoted about £410 posted for the full kit.

Clio owners would kill for 30bhp for £400 Lol!

E36 328i
Haha thanks chaps. The car was on PH yes, its not minty fresh and has a few issues but I didn't pay what he was asking for it so all good. I was in the same boat, checking PH every day to see if any ones worth looking at appeared, saw this one with the ad 1 hour old, straight on the blower and down to view to drop a deposit. I'm already looking into the M50.

Guess I know that it will sell quickly if/when the time comes too. Hopefully going to give it a good machine polish when the weather improves, tyres have arrived and will be on tomorrow morning. That's good to know about the condensers, I will have a look around for replacements. Also noticed today that the aero style wipers are cheap and nasty, they will go ASAP.

Anyone here know of any decent websites for OEM parts?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Real OEM for the part numbers, then Cotswold BMW on e36coupe.com do 10% off genuine iirc.

I generally search the part number on ebay, or Cooper BMW parts online (to give an indication of main dealer pricing) - hope that helps :)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Cotswold BMW for parts, say your on the BMW forum, you will get good prices that way.

E36 328i
I've yet to really look at the forums, I've had a scan on bimmerforums but not e36coupe.com.

Thanks gents.

And for the comments about the Cup - I really will miss it, was a great car and I'm sure I'll have another. Probably Ph-1 next time!

This website has been invaluable for me during ownership of my current and previous BMW's ownership:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/

I can also thoroughly recommend the kit from these guys. They have compiled all of BMW's own diagnostic software and made them work on modern pc's/laptops and all with a one-click installer and cable set. It has saved me serious headaches and cash on the M already and is unbelievably useful:

http://bmtechnic.co.uk/bmw-diagnostic-cable-black-edition-and-20-pin-adaptor/

Weeman sucks ****
http://realoem.com/bmw/ is good too

This website has been invaluable for me during ownership of my current and previous BMW's ownership:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/

I can also thoroughly recommend the kit from these guys. They have compiled all of BMW's own diagnostic software and made them work on modern pc's/laptops and all with a one-click installer and cable set. It has saved me serious headaches and cash on the M already and is unbelievably useful:

http://bmtechnic.co.uk/bmw-diagnostic-cable-black-edition-and-20-pin-adaptor/

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Odd choice...Would of thought after having a cup an E36 M3 would have been a better choice? the 328i must be a bit...wet...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks very weird without a spoiler. Nice though.

Oh and there is no such thing as re-gassing an aircon unit as Dave said. It has a leak, aircon gas doesn't leave the system unless there is a leak.

ST
Looks very weird without a spoiler. Nice though.

Oh and there is no such thing as re-gassing an aircon unit as Dave said. It has a leak, aircon gas doesn't leave the system unless there is a leak.

Drifto iirc Kev..

BMW X1
You have chosen a different color for your car, I liked it but don't you think its a old enough ! now

E36 328i
I did consider an M3 but they come with an M3 parts price tag. To be honest, I'm not overly fussed with how fast I'm going any more - the 2.8 is more than punchy enough as it is. I also came from a RWD car before the Clio and I have missed that ever since too.

Gally, my perhaps overly wishful thinking was that the AC might not have been used for ages, seals have then dried out and the gas has escaped over time. You're probably right but at least the dye that went in will find the leak if there is one. The gearbox at least has been out as it was replaced this year, perhaps something was removed/knocked while doing so? Time will tell, it's still ice cold as of this evening so we'll see.

Simmi, no idea what you're trying to say, sorry mate.

Seems I need my VIN for these sites. On the suspension turret yes?

E36 328i
Got a chance to machine polish the car today and took it for some half arsed photos.

9077935105_e9206cd41b.jpg

IMG_6219 by matt_13289, on Flickr

9080110682_702283d8ea.jpg

IMG_6224 by matt_13289, on Flickr

9077819793_72283c8dbd.jpg

IMG_6232 by matt_13289, on Flickr

9077792089_c2c2a10628.jpg

IMG_6234 by matt_13289, on Flickr

Whole set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pokeorchoke/sets/72157634202957264/

So a few thing that need resolving.

-Far too low on the rear. Will raise the coilovers on the weekend.
-Needs oil service. I've got the service marker reset tool coming and some spark plugs, just to make sure its running spot on.
-Managed to find the central locking/alarm fob, replaced the battery, nothing. Needs coding to the car again and part of the sequence to get the car into "learning mode" involves leaving the boot open. Seems the boot sensor doesn't work so this will need sorting too.
-Front bumper is in a s**t state. Will need respray as well as a few other marks.

Tyres have been sorted as well as number plates. The car fantastic. The colour came up really well too, I will spend more time on it when possible as it can be improved still.