ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW inside.

172, Tiguan
I started to refurb my wheels when I had mine. Split them all down and then realised life was too short and went and bought some M3 wheels.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
BBS or M3 wheels?! No contest!

I'm after some M3 wheels for winter rims. The 15s I have lost an extra inch or so of ground clearance.

E36 328i
Like the look of those jacking pads. Where did you get them? Good luck with the Vanos. Wouldn't be surprised if I have to tackle that at some point :(

Facebook - search for "BMW Enthusiast", normally has some good things for sale. In theory it isn't that difficult from reading guides, with advice from Jord! We'll see when it comes to it though!

E36 328i
I have also lost patience with the wheels, the blasting cabinet was too weak so seriously considering just putting them into a refurb company now.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'm flogging 2 minter than mint rc041s - still with original tyres and lacquered finish! Save yourself the hassle of refurbing 2, these are like new

E36 328i
Did see that mate, you are reall far away though. Also doubt they'd match if I were to get the rears done separate.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
No probs. Just an option. I'm keeping my older polished ones on, ballache to clean but i dont use it every day.

where are you? thought all us bmw nerds were around manc? danieljames, joeyd, jord etc

E36 328i
I'm in Kent, 20 mins from London so quite far! I go to Derby quite a lot to visit family but that's as north as I go.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
the midlands ;)

(mind you, thats what geordies etc say bout us Mancs/Lancs)

E36 328i
Its my sister who lives up there - seriously struggle to understand her neighbour!! Work with a few Mancs and don't struggle at all.

Last edited:
I was going to order the anti-rattle bits from Besian for the new engine, but unfortunately need to get it built and running - not got time yet to wait for it to come from the US. My 200k one isn't rattling so I'm hopeful the one for the new engine will be fine with seals only!

E36 328i
That is the bonus of having the spare unit (that and the lack of enthusiasm on changing it) so I can take all the time I need. f**k pulling it all out again once done

E36 328i
Got some spare front calipers/carriers yesterday, stripped them down ready for paint/new seals etc. Can't get the bleed nipples out but that's another story.

The reason I've got these is because I have a full set of 15's to run while the BBS are refurbed. Rears fit fine, fronts do not clear the calipers - they should do without an issue on standard brakes. So I thought it had e46 carriers/calipers with 300mm discs which is a popular mod. This isn't the case, discs are standard 286mm and the carriers on the car and the spares are exactly the same. I can't check the calipers' part numbers as the ones on the car are so thickly layered with paint that I can't see them but they look identical to the spares. I then looked a bit harder and saw that there is some contact material on the disc that isn't being touched by the pad:

12995867304_1f427de2de.jpg

Untitled by matt_13289, on Flickr

When I took the caliper off, there was a lip at the top of the pad where that wasn't making contact too. This leads me to believe that the calipers are sitting too far out, but I have no idea why...unless there is something blindly obvious that I'm missing? Any ideas?

In other ASW news, I got some chrome grilles which I really like the look of and tried out the ambers again now I have some side repeaters. I left the rears clear though. Machine polished it and it's looking good again (apart from the 15s!) after a minging winter.

12995454995_401ee465ab.jpg

12995571663_fcf7f5c752.jpg

Maybe you have M3 hubs that someone has bolted the 328i calipers to. The caliper mounts are slightly further out on those to account for some of the disc size increase, along with the caliper being different to gain he remaining room. Is the very outer bit of the pad (furthest away from the centre) not even touching the disc? Whats the gap like between the disc vents and the caliper?

E36 328i
It pretty much has to be the hubs, unless like I say its staring me in the face and I'm not seeing it. Yeah, furthest from the centre of the disc isn't even touching, creating a lip where the rest of the pad is wearing. The lip is only 5mm ish but its just enough to foul 15's.

Sounds like you somehow have the wrong hubs to me. Looked at the pic again and the gap between where the disc enters the carrier looks to big

E36 328i
Starting to doubt myself that the calipers and carriers are exactly the same. gonna mock bolt them up next time I'm off just to double check before going any further

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Cant you just fit some 300mm or whatever discs with this set up?

Sounds like an easy brake upgrade to me.

E36 328i
Cheers Chris but luckily I've found a breaker in the same town as me who deals mainly in e36s, he has literally everything I could need which is handy.

Might have chance to get the wheel off after work tomorrow, I must be missing something, why go to the effort of putting M3 hubs on and then leave everything else??

Think a stud conversion may be on the cards now too. Sick of faffing around with the wheel bolts as I seem to have it in the air more than I drive it at the moment!

E36 328i
Been a while!

Change of plans with the brakes. I have fitted the correct size discs (300mm) for the e46 328 setup with new pads, I'll be keeping them as they are now. I've got a spare BBS which makes a set of 4 for the refurb, I'll take one of the ones on the car at the moment for a spare and sell the other on. The set of 4 are split down and sat in the garage waiting for payday.

Managed to get the car over a pit recently to replace the engine and gearbox mounts.

13890632782_9be6b6d580.jpg

While under there we found that some of the bell housing bolts weren't tight, so they were sorted. One of the manifold to exhaust gaskets is missing too which could explain the idle problems. Also found one of the manifold studs had worked its way loose but it was late by then so I'll sort them another day.

Most of the car has been polybushed by the last owner but the front anti roll bar bushes/drop links were shot. Ordered up the parts and went at it today:

13914161124_5045362fe6.jpg

13914155424_0c728bebc5.jpg

13890609552_25193bd6e4.jpg

13890598432_fd90d6506e.jpg

Put in the polyflex roll bar bushes and drop links, tightened everything up until the last bolt sheared straight off which induced all the swearing. It was one of the U shaped brackets seen above and as far as I can tell, a BMW only part. Took the whole thing off again and I'm now waiting for new ones to arrive Saturday. Had to drive the car earlier and it's some what boaty without the ARB. It'll sit on the drive until Monday now as that's my next day off. Joy!

Should have dropped me a message, I've got two of those U brackets that have been powder coated lying about spare, could have had them for free! Nevermind lol. They are asking for trouble though - be much easier with a nut and bolt through it..

E36 328i
So!

Things are still happening, slowly. Finally got the wheels back, washed the car before putting them on and they looked great. Massively pleased as the car looked pony for months with 15s on the rear and some shagged 17s on the front.

14716618175_9e64374836.jpg

14713435771_a99d801f2d.jpg

14530160487_536e8c7eec.jpg
Then, no more than 5-10 miles later i heard a huge bang and pulled over to find...

14529935659_b88fe38229.jpg

14529925999_e72aa80c5d.jpg

No potholes in the road, nothing in the tyre. Looked at the lip and the metal was really thin. Absolutely gutted!

14530132367_0fd9cb3375.jpg

14530126787_270d5bb9aa.jpg

Took them back to the refurb guys today and they were just as blown away as me. I won't name them as I know their work is good and they sorted everything out as soon as they saw it. I am now on the look out for some sunflowers for it as this has somewhat put me off the BBS.

Still love the car! Aircon needs sorting as the black leather is feckin hot in this weather.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Whaaat the fuuuu. That's could have been bad, very.

Car's still looking awesome btw.

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Do you think it was just these particular wheels? They do look awesome and I've never seen/heard of that happening before?

Oh and a a/c service was one the best £35 I've spent this year..

E36 328i
They are off the car completely now Mark. On the lookout for something else. They kept them as I just don't trust them anymore.

Tom, they were diamond cut so I guess too much was taken off.

The condenser is goosed so not that simple unfortunately!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely mate.

Where abouts are you based mate.. Recognise the backgrounds on some of your pics, especially the carpet place (looks like aylesford).

E36 328i
Lovely mate.

Where abouts are you based mate.. Recognise the backgrounds on some of your pics, especially the carpet place (looks like aylesford).

You're right mate. Right next to the BMW dealer, was picking up some parts.

I'm in Maidstone but regularly out Kings Hill/East Peckham way.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I do like sun flowers but not a patch on the splits. However I understand your method!