ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chris's 172 Cup Turbo

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
The underside of the car is now done. The second part video won't be quite what I was expecting, as it was challenging enough to do the work, let alone film it all. Below are a few photos. Would take forever to list all of the parts, but everything is pretty much new right up to the new discs and pads. Coolest part is the extra 10mm spacing at the rear from the PMS kit. The front needs an extra 10mm now too!

IMG_9030.jpg

IMG_9033.jpg

IMG_9117.jpg

IMG_9154.jpg

IMG_9164.jpg

IMG_9172.jpg

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a lame update on this. Car is now in storage. Sadly it's got quite a catastrophic oil leak from the dephaser/camshaft area. Given that it's now winter and it's a toy - straight into storage.

Still no intention to sell, but does always seem to give me problems. Sort one thing, something else pops up!

More to follow spring/April time next year. Cup is in good company though...

P1210725.jpg

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Finally uploaded a video on the Cup. I've been sat on this footage for months!

I think I'll continue to try and film updates on the car, but trying to film and get on with it is hard to balance, and saps some of the fun out of the process. I much prefer to film other peoples cars.

Anyway, for anyone interested:

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, so, where to start. I have owned this engine since 2016. It's been boosted, made good power, been fairly reliable, but is now toast. You would never have known things were this bad from driving it. New engine inbound!

It started off as an oil leak and ended in cam cover coming off to reveal this :oops:. Interested to hear peoples opinions, but we reckon oil starvation to the head.

147302491_272183620920304_6760478385881118181_n.jpg
148600970_165055505222259_2819947646980893309_n.jpg
147302491_272183620920304_6760478385881118181_n.jpg
147664561_448471222948563_3556894938236513832_n.jpg

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Blocked strainer maybe, check to see if sump was layered with sealant when fitted last time, people/s**t mechanics love doing this, my mates "rebuilt" cvh engine done by what he thought was a legend failed because of this in less than 100miles 😂

What's the plan, new engine and map tweak?

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Blocked strainer maybe, check to see if sump was layered with sealant when fitted last time, people/s**t mechanics love doing this, my mates "rebuilt" cvh engine done by what he thought was a legend failed because of this in less than 100miles 😂

What's the plan, new engine and map tweak?

Shocking isn't it. I've owned this engine since 2015, so thought it was solid. You never truly know what you're buying.

Yes exactly that. The plan is to drop the engine in that came with this shell, as well as the turbo kit. I'll then get it booked in again with Engine Dynamics for the map to be adjusted. Fingers crossed it doesn't add up to be ridiculous money!

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
The original engine is now back in.... and the Cup is back! :love:

This time, I left the work to a pro and although the total cost was eyewatering it means I now have a car that should be a little kinder to me in the long run. Booked in for map adjustment in March with Engine Dynamics.

New parts fitted:
  • Genuine Renault breather inlet seal
  • Genuine Renault lower Inlet manifold gasket
  • Genuine Renault upper inlet manifold gasket
  • Genuine Renault cam cover tune of sealer
  • Genuine Renault lower bottom pulley
  • Genuine Renault vvt solenoid seal
  • Genuine Renault lower front cam belt end crank seal
  • Genuine Renault timing blank
  • Genuine Renault timing blank
  • Genuine Renault cam seal and hardware fitting kit
  • Genuine Renault exhaust manifold gasket
  • Genuine Renault cam belt kit
  • Genuine Renault type d coolant 5 litres
  • Total quartz 10w50 6 litres
  • Genuine Renault engine oil filter
  • Genuine renault sump gasket
  • Genuine Renault elf 75/80 gear oil 3 litres
  • Genuine Renault thermostat housing gasket
  • Genuine Renault water pump
  • Genuine Renault flywheel bolts x7
  • Genuine Renault sump washer
  • Genuine Renault down pipe flexi fitting kit
  • NGk Spark plugs bcr8es x4
  • X4 cosworth m8 studs with aeromotive lock nuts
  • X2 t25 manifold lock tabs
  • Aux drive belt
  • Used 172 cams supplied by KTEC

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-19 at 15.48.55 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-19 at 15.49.03.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-19 at 15.49.04 (1).jpeg
P1250461.JPG

Next plan - drive it and actually enjoy it!

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Glad you've got it back all sorted Chris! time to enjoy it and get more videos up on your youtube!

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Car currently has a slight misfire under load at around 5K. Other than that it drives ok. I've come to the realisation that it's just not practical to be daily and that it's a shiny toy to be used on the odd occasion.

With that, it's probably time to part with it for something more practical. I'll advertise it on here when ready.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Car currently has a slight misfire under load at around 5K. Other than that it drives ok. I've come to the realisation that it's just not practical to be daily and that it's a shiny toy to be used on the odd occasion.

With that, it's probably time to part with it for something more practical. I'll advertise it on here when ready.

Thats a shame mate! It's gonna be hard to see it go.

Someone else will have fun with it and you can get something more practical.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup

Shame it's came to this, misfire could be something daft like plug gap..still cheap motoring when you can get an engine for £300 and their easy enough to work on if you have the time, just get live/recorded data and you'll soon find the issue

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
how many miles had he done in those years? so many turbo'd clios on here that have been broken or gone pop. just dont see the point in fitting turbos to these cars. totally takes away from what the engine was designed to do and made for. cams and throttle bodies if you want more power and keep the n.a attributes

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
If its been good to you all this time, why would you need to find a more practical daily now?
Unless your circumstances have changed of course. :)
I used to have a MK8 St-Line daily through work, although that benefit has now ended. Thought I'd fix the Cup and give it a go for a while. Still in two minds about it all.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Seems strange to spend all that money on the engine being built up recently to then throw the towel in. You need to get some enjoyment out of it if you’ve paid an eye watering bill for it to be done.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
how many miles had he done in those years? so many turbo'd clios on here that have been broken or gone pop. just dont see the point in fitting turbos to these cars. totally takes away from what the engine was designed to do and made for. cams and throttle bodies if you want more power and keep the n.a attributes

Averaged around 5-6k a year. For about 2-3 years it ran faultlessly. Then a few small problems here and there, but nothing terrible up until now. That's not the case here, but I totally get where you're coming from.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Rough idea, what do you think it would be worth?
It's really hard to say. If it were a standard totally OEM Cup I feel it would be worth £3-3.5k. I have an agreed value via insurance at £5k with the turbo, so likely around that price point I guess. Maybe more to the right buyer.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
The Cup has now been mapped by Andy at Engine Dynamics. Reliably told that it's a healthy engine, made great numbers at 243 bhp / 230 ft-lbs.

Video with graphs and dyno footage is in the works, but yesterday we had a little drive with a few mates. In a straight line, the Cup is bang on the same as the Yaris, which is cool!

P1270069.jpg

P1270100.jpg

P1270123.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yup. Was offered a red one about 12 months ago with like 60k ish. Wanted 6k for it. I fanny round too much lol

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
So I think the Cup might be up for sale very soon. I've fallen in love with my new car. A Glacier White R26.

Spec:
  • FSH
  • 50K miles from new
  • Black pack from factory
  • LUX pack including full leather/arm rest/keyless entry and auto lights.
  • Mapped to 250BHP/280lb-ft by Andy at Engine Dynamics.
  • Backbox delete.
  • ITG Panel filter
  • Steering wheel retrim.​
Other than that, it's totally OEM. Stickers and all. Other than a short shifter it will likely be staying that way.

P1320497.jpg

P1320614.jpg

P1320649.JPG