ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio. First huge washing/detailing session. .Tips and Advice Please!

Basically, I'm going to give my car a very big cleaning session, after collecting various products over the past few weeks.

Here is my general list and order:

Wheels
Daisy APC
Poorboys Wheel sealant
Meguiars Hot Tyre Shine

Bodywork:
Shampoo(Meguiars Gold Class)/AG Tar remover
Clay(Meguiars Clay Kit)
Shampoo(Meguiars Gold Class)
Meguiars Swirl X Remover
AG Super Resin Polish
AG Extra Gloss Protection
Meguiars #16 Wax

Trim/Plastics etc
Autoglym Bumper Care.
Autoglym Glass polish

Tips!
First up have I got the general order of doing things right? I'm unsure on whether the AG EGP goes on before or after wax - or at all?

When I shampoo it first time do I need to dry it before claying? I've got Megs speed detailer for clay lube.
Any tips for first time claying, how much of the clay/pressure/lube should you use?

Obviously I will be doing everything by hand, as I don't have a machine polisher, and even if I did, I wouldn't have the knowledge to use one!

Any other general tips/advice on anything?

Thanks!

Bumder With A Buffer
Use a quarter of the clay bar too. It's worth drying it before claying to stop getting water marks and having a clean (ish) surface to work on.

Don't drop the clay! If u do chuck it!

Use the detailer as lube and spray a small area and go over it with the clay bar. If the bar should glide over. If it seems to stick then your not using enough lube.

Fiesta ST3
you will need some foam applicators too mate :)

list looks good, clay in horizontal direction, cut the clay up into smaller pieces and if you drop it on the floor, bin it, use light pressure with plenty of lube, once you get going you know how it feels.

take lots of before/after pics and 50/50 are also good to see aswell :)

edit: beaten by richy! :)

Cupped 182 FF
after washign the soap off, open and close your boot lid and driver passenger doors! it shakes water out from behind the number plate, and side trims!! otherwise water can run from these placess which is annoying....and papertowel behind the wing mirrors (Y);)

White clique
the EGP is a sealant and the megs waz will be fine to go over the opt to give it some depth.

Just or of preference i like to use a quick detailer between layers to get rid of any reside and add a bit more gloss but not essential.

Thanks for all your help that's really handy. I think I need to get started because its going to take quite a while!

Yea I've got enough microfibre cloths and applicator pads - they're practically coming out my ears I've got so many lol.

One thing - with drying, I've got various microfibre/cotton towels, when using them to dry, do you rub it dry like you would with a chamois, or do you just place it on and pat the area down? I find that when I pat it down, it doesn't actually seem to dry it much when I lift the towel?

Not a 320d
Depeds on the towel :)

Usualy, i drag plush MF towles across the paintwork or dab it dry.

If your using those kent car care ones then just wipe dry. Sometimes best you use two, one for the thick and the other for drying.

Ahh just finished!
I only started at 12 lol. 6 hours. My arms hurt like hell all that applying and buffing!

Does look good though :) Although it will probably rain tonight and all that work will have been for nothing.

Just wondering, now I've done all that when I next come to wash it, say for a weekly wash which steps should I do? I don't need to do all that every time do I?

Fiesta ST3
nah, just wash with wax safe shampoo then dry with towel

then you could top up using a quick detailer spray (spray and wipe off)

pics?????

White clique
pics of the result?

2 bucket method after hosing down, high quality sheepskin wash mitt rinsed regularly with the hose as well as using the second bucket, different weash mitt for the wheels.

Bumder With A Buffer
I got halfway theough mine the other week and it pissed it down...im still yet to finsish it FFS :(

So if I just use my megs Gold shampooey for a regular wash. Anything else? Maybe SRP now and again if I want it extra shiney!?
Yea I use the two bucket method with wash mitts :)

Here is some pics I just ran out and got quickly.
They're not very good lol
But hey:
DSC01336.jpg

DSC01342.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

DSC01340.jpg

Fiesta ST3
So if I just use my megs Gold shampooey for a regular wash. Anything else? Maybe SRP now and again if I want it extra shiney!?
Yea I use the two bucket method with wash mitts :)

not sure if its wise to polish straight over wax mate, im sure someone will confirm though

your wax is protecting your hard polishing work now, so just need to keep on top of the wax, the megs 16 you used will last ages anyway.

so just wash, dry and re wax every 4 weeks?

White clique
good results from the pics.

I'd stick to clay and re-waxing every 6 weeks - 2 months. Detail spray after each wash (adds a bit of protection and gloss).

As for hand polish with SRP, every 6 months should be OK, once you've clayed it back to no protection. Only polish if yoou have swirls every 6 months mind you, or else there is no real point and you risk adding further swirls in the process.

So clay and wax every 6 weeks, does that mean just clay, shampoo and wax?
Only do all the above polishing/sealing once/twice a year?

And quick weekly washes, just shampoo and quik detailer, or what if I use something like demon shine after washing just make it extra sparkly?

Fiesta ST3
imo, you only need to clay twice a year.

once you clay you need to re wax as it strips all the current wax off.

i would wax every 6 weeks and only polish when you need too (i,e swirl marks etc)