ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio RS250ish

M135i, 197 turbo
@Chris_Beer will do an update later. Few little bits done on the turbo but got myself a shed of a 172 to build into a race car with my daughter to go sprinting/ racing hopefully so that’s been taking up my time along with changing jobs which had been a pain in the ar$e

M135i, 197 turbo
So been a while since I've updated this.

Essentially since the last day at Oulton we replaced the track rod ends and did another track day and had a repeat of the ends failing, so clearly something was wrong...

Got the car home and over the next week had a proper look at the hubs. Turns out there's a steel bush in the hub where the track rod ends bolt up that tends to get seized to the track rod ends and thrown away by accident. Turns out the bush was missing on both sides.., so got one new hub from RPD and a used one of ebay for the other side and sorted it hopefully finally...

So this is what tends to happen (found the pic on the tinternet....)
IMG_1055.PNG

Which should be here...

IMG_1056.JPG

And you can't buy this part separately you have to get a whole lower hub assembly. Thanks Mr Renault
IMG_1057.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
Other problem we had was losing a take off from the intake plenum under boost so got some clamps to hold stuff in place.
IMG_1047.JPG

Only other thing done at the moment is making, well start making, a gauge pod for the dash. I didn't want something looking like we've just nailed the gauges in place so got a spare dash top clock section and a double gauge pod and chopped them up.

IMG_1064.JPG

Load of filler and sanding later.

IMG_1065.JPG

Need to get it flocked then installed however something else cropped up...

I placed an ebay bid, didn't win and forget about it until I got a second chance offer a couple of weeks later and then this turned up
IMG_1068.jpg

M135i, 197 turbo
I came to the conclusion that no matter how bad I am at it I need to have a go at sprinting/racing so logic dictated I needed a 172 so here we go again as there's no way I'm ruining the 197. The 172 above was cheap, very very cheap, but was an absolute shed. Every panel marked, water leak into a filthy cabin, front so low you literally couldn't turn the wheels, chav spec exhaust. One of my favourite bits was the rear wiper....
IMG_1074.JPG

Not quite sure what the masking tape was going to achieve..... anyway.... as expected it needed pulling apart and caging. So stripped and then caged with the new style safety devices cage.
IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
Painted interior with silver hammerite for durability and went for a extra low subframe from @JON FOZ with a sparco fibreglass fia approved seat

IMG_1196.JPG

Ordered fibreglass boot, tailgate, headlight blanks and roof scoop from CCF, just waiting on them turning up which should be this week before can start getting the shell back together. For the engine I wanted to go ITBs again after using them what feels like an age ago on the original 172, however having missed out on a couple of second hand sets I'm picking up a set of 200 cams from @JB21 this week and have decided to chance my arm with the (in)famous Turkish inlet. Going to get Chris at EFI to map it and see what happens, it's a fraction of the price overall for an ITB setup so I think it's worth a gamble. Tessa Motorsport inlet turned up with 2 days and credit where it's due it's a lovely made piece of kit and comes with all the fitting and a breather plate replacement. Interested to see what, if anything it can add to the cams.
7B504DA1-7A95-41A4-955F-08D042A1C04D.JPG

Attachments

• 7B504DA1-7A95-41A4-955F-08D042A1C04D.JPG
    7B504DA1-7A95-41A4-955F-08D042A1C04D.JPG
    557 KB · Views: 50
Brilliant! Nice to see you have another 172 also... you soon get stuck into the work on it, what colour is the body going? Any ideas?

Be interested to see the inlet results when it's all done... and videos !

M135i, 197 turbo
Brilliant! Nice to see you have another 172 also... you soon get stuck into the work on it, what colour is the body going? Any ideas?

Be interested to see the inlet results when it's all done... and videos !

Going to go black for the front bumper, wings, bonnet, side skirts and rear bumper and bright green for the rest. Ordered some custom made ie correct centre bore and offset TD Prorace 1.2 in gloss red with R888Rs as I can get a decent discount on them through someone I used to work with. After that, going to slap some graphics on it, god knows what though. My six year old son wants flames and my daughter wants butterflies...😢 Neither of those is happening, I know that much :up:

M135i, 197 turbo
Received the panels from CCF this week so gave them a quick spray with Halfords satin black then chucked them on to see how they fit. Also dropped the engine in to free some space up in the garage

87C0E321-43FA-48A4-9107-7471C764FAC3.jpeg

Bonnet fits fine but headlight blanks are going to need a bit of fettling