ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cub's Flamer - Supercharged, Cage etc

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Re: 'Cub's Trackday Flamer - Cage etc'

Update time again. I planned to go and watch some of the guys race up at Rockingham on the 5th @Tony Hunter , aswell as catching up with quite a few others. Sadly it didn't turn out like that :(

The bearings had a faint whine on them when I came back from Wales, but thought I'd chance getting the clio upto my parents, onto Rockingham, and then back again without them getting too bad. That turned out to be a dumb call;

Brakes1_zps75fc4204.jpg

Brake2_zpscd225e4a.jpg

Luckily, before the trip to Wales the weekend before, I'd extended my AA cover to 'Relay', basically meaning I could be recovered home to my garage from anywhere in the UK, and not just towed to the nearest local garage so Jonny NoStars could get his hands on the car. Extending my cover cost me £16. Result.

Getting the car on and off the low loader turned out to be ok, and not a bumper off job, but it was mm's away from catching. Again, a stroke of luck. So now here the car is, again;

Brake3_zps0595091c.jpg

I am ridiculously busy at work unfortunately, and so having bought the parts it is off to J-Tech automotive for both front bearings to be done on May 5th. Whilst it is having the bearings done, I'm putting a new set of Brembo HC discs on (there is a lip on both at the moment) and the DS3000s are being swapped for DS2500s. I can't handle the squeal, which is a shame as they are great pads. The DS2500s did me fine over the last year, so I'm hoping for the same this year!

Obligatory parts (thanks @g172 - excellent service as per usual) photos (which I hope have come out the right way up);

Brake4_zpsdb1d20c1.jpg

Bearing_zpsb330458a.jpg

Bearing3_zpse12208a7.jpg

Bearing2_zps4b36fb7e.jpg

Upcoming - I have the V8 Power Run weekend booked in for the bank holiday. Not sure if i'll run the flamer or not, as its not exactly a 'drag beast', but I'm going with a two friends, both who have different era Mustangs ('67 and '82). So, it should be a great weekend and good fun :)

I've also booked the Llandow trackday, which I'm looking forward to. For those who haven't been, it has always a great day and a good mix of track driving and social pit lane banter. The link is here;

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...kday-Wed-20th-Aug-£85&p=10225471#post10225471

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Looks nice and clean on the wagon, lol.
+1

It didn't look anything like that whilst in Wales... :p

Shame about the bearings but at least they'll be done and the pig squealer brakes will be gone! I run the HC discs and DS2500's and they've been fine for me, even with the odd bit of abuse on track. I don't know why they get such a bad reputation for the odd trackday as I've found them to work fairly well and not had any brake fade to speak of. Perhaps I'm not going fast enough or don't brake hard enough :)

Catch you soon mate - enjoy the V8's!

Many.

Personally I would have fitted a genuine bearing, with the spacers and the use it gets, I'd want the best, which is why I run genuine bearings on my car, as I had non-genuine bearings fail extreamly quickly.

182cup & 172 racecar

Shame you didn't make it to Rockingham Oli, we even had extra bacon, just for you.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Sharkey. We have been using ds2500 in our rs2 182 and the rs2 172 before that for the last few years. If you aren't the last of the late breakers they are really good all rounder pads.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Whats happening with the 3000's? ;)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Shame you didn't make it to Rockingham Oli, we even had extra bacon, just for you.

I was pretty annoyed, and having learnt there was bacon, I am now mortified. :( I'll be along to another one.

Whats happening with the 3000's? ;)

@Matt_90 has first refusal on them. If he doesn't want them, you can have them. I'm looking for £90 plus postage bud. They've only done 750 miles and were £150 new. They are coming out of the car May 5th.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

I was pretty annoyed, and having learnt there was bacon, I am now mortified. :( I'll be along to another one.

@Matt_90 has first refusal on them. If he doesn't want them, you can have them. I'm looking for £90 plus postage bud. They've only done 750 miles and were £150 new. They are coming out of the car May 5th.

I thought I replied to your message Oli sorry. I need them before the 25th so I have just bought some 1155's to try out. Feel free to sell them on :)

I thought I replied to your message Oli sorry. I need them before the 25th so I have just bought some 1155's to try out. Feel free to sell them on :)

Pretty good pad, like to smoke though if not cooled properly lol

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Sharkey. We have been using ds2500 in our rs2 182 and the rs2 172 before that for the last few years. If you aren't the last of the late breakers they are really good all rounder pads.
Ah, ok - I thought they were pretty good (hence why I've tended to stick with them). :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

So, I got both front wheel bearings done, and swapped out the DS3000s for the DS2500s and also replaced the front discs with a new set of Brembo HCs. The car feels 'tighter' than ever, as it has effectively had all of the front end suspension / bearings etc swapped for new. :) Couldn't be happier given its just clocked 99k miles.

Not too much else to report on the car front, due to being crazy busy at work, other than the fact it is running sweet and using no oil. An experience I have never had before in Renault Ownership - lol!

Since the engine swap, i've been a bit slack and allowed the garage to basically fill with junk. :eek: So, I got sick of that, and spent a friday afternoon tidying it all up.

Before:

Garage10_zps7b48272a.jpg

Garage2_zpsb59249dd.jpg

Garage8_zpsa38363ca.jpg

After:

Garage9_zpsdc4e5050.jpg

Garage5_zpsbfcf47c0.jpg

Garage4_zps59d36e34.jpg

Garage6_zps81072886.jpg

The 12 year old child in me appeared;

Garage7_zps2a218e89.jpg

And someone left a long term memento :)

Garage3_zpsbc7045ef.jpg

Other than that, the flamer acted as support car and did another 400 miles helping my friend run his '68 Mustang in the UK V8 Power Tour, which was great fun and saw some cool and interesting metal running up and down the strip at Shakey raceway for the Yank Weekend :)

photo35_zps54a1d3d9.jpg

photo41_zpsbbd7ff71.jpg

photo40_zpsbd6e4dd4.jpg

photo39_zps0f70c72e.jpg

photo34_zps83d41301.jpg

photo8_zps11bf0df6.jpg

photo26_zps0e20b1e0.jpg

photo10_zpsa4a668e7.jpg

photo12_zps36983ed3.jpg

Next up - French car show on the 7th, where the car has been accepted onto one of the Themed Paddocks. Which means I better clean it, including the white bits. Oh, how I regret painting them white now ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Nice tidy garage dude, at least I think it's a garage? Beneath the blur on those photos I mean? ;)

You're next mission is to make that vice functional, and not ornamental. And buy yourself a bearing press (every garage needs a bearing press)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

I envy your garage! My single garage just doesn't cut it, especially as it looks like a bloody breakers yard.

Cheers Dan. I must admit, it was a huge benefit finding a house we liked where someone had already built a decent sized mancave.

Nice tidy garage dude, at least I think it's a garage? Beneath the blur on those photos I mean? ;)

You're next mission is to make that vice functional, and not ornamental. And buy yourself a bearing press (every garage needs a bearing press)

Yep, i'm looking into how to construct a decent solid work bench in that corner at the moment actually :) A bearing press isn't going to be acquired until I need to do bearings again, which I hope isn't going to be for a while!

.. and a large TV and a fridge.......

And these two are a priority over the bearing press! lol :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Performance, race, rally , track. Or something like that. Lol.

I'll be there from 8ish probably. I'll ring you when I'm there, arrange to meet you lot once I've dumped the flamer.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

Garage is looking good! Need;

A proper work bench
A bench press
A pillar drill
A compressor
A draw full and completely dedicated to hammers

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Been a while since I updated this, so here goes. First up, the car is running better than ever, which I am over the moon about.

Gave it a good decontamination, clean, clay bar, polish and wax before heading off to my first FCS. I'm no detailer or photographer ;) but I was pleased with the outcome;

Polish_zpse961e6ac.jpg

Polish2_zpsa4110ada.jpg

Rear_zps6a40537a.jpg

CleaninGarage_zpsb473bc64.jpg

Cleanoutofgarage_zps932b787b.jpg

Cleanoutofgarage2_zps7c6ed544.jpg

CleanEngineBay_zps37c8d585.jpg

CleanEngineBay2_zpse2fe890e.jpg

Here is Christopher. Fletcher and TimR26 waiting to go out on track at Combe.

FCS1_zps2a848dd7.jpg

Some pics of it on the Samco stand.

FCS3_zps455f28fd.jpg

FCS2_zps428efeef.jpg

Was great to see some of the usual faces and meet plenty of new ones. I don't think i'll do another FCS, as good as it was to meet some people off here, I'd rather do a decent trackday.

Following FCS, I went off to the annula pilgrimage to Le Mans, another great year and I had a great time. Was good to meet some new people off here, and the SC lot (with our token bristolians) were on top form. Special thanks to Tim. for organising, again. Obligatory photo of the hearse in motion Mr.Potato

LeMans_zps8be07320.jpg

I also headed off to Shakespeare Raceway to help my brother in law run his mustang again. Was a good day, and saw tom172cup which was good to catch up. Love this car;

Shakey_zps31e34eee.jpg

Since Shakey, I have bought a new set of ADO8r's for the OZ F1's to replace the ones on these. I have also refitted the PMS Studs and bought a new nut for them, as I managed to round one off :eek: Did a long run to Kent this weekend for a stag, and they are fine, so the refitting seems to have worked.

NewYoko_zps4e792662.jpg

I also managed to break the trusty Micra. It took me 32k miles, but I pulled out of a petrol station for it to cut out completely. Complete electrical failure. Some investigation and it turned out to be a fuse that had corroded through, largely because someone had not put the plastic weatherproof cover back on the fuses. Broken fuse;

NissanBroken_zpsc73b4f3e.jpg

NissanBroken2_zps91a544f3.jpg

£53 later and a new one acquired, and fitted with the obligatory 'fleet photo' - baller ;)

Nissanbox_zpsf889307f.jpg

Nissannewpart_zps1e565b53.jpg

NewNissanPartfitted_zps1d2b1eb1.jpg

FleetShot_zps16624edd.jpg

I'm off to see Tony Hunter at Snet this weekend, which will be good, and then have both Llandow and Oulton trackdays booked in for August. Can't wait to get the car back out on track.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

No way!!!!! You can't get rid of it after all that effort has gone into it.

Yeah, I'm mixed minds at the moment. I'll either keep it and supercharge it, or sell it / break it and get something else I have had my eye on. Depends on the cost of the extension to the house I want to do aswell though...

If the wife gives permission for two 'weekend cars' i'll keep both!

Yeah, I'm mixed minds at the moment. I'll either keep it and supercharge it, or sell it / break it and get something else I have had my eye on. Depends on the cost of the extension to the house I want to do aswell though...

Saddens me to hear this lol. Such a lovely car and you've put so much time/money/effort into getting it where it is now.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Holy s**t. What ever happened to "I'll never sell it"??

330i. E30 Touring.

I'll give you £1500 for it if you take those shitty hoses off and paint the engine a nice oily colour. xxx