ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cub's Flamer - Supercharged, Cage etc

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Re: 'Cub's Trackday Flamer - Cage etc'

Saddens me to hear this lol. Such a lovely car and you've put so much time/money/effort into getting it where it is now.

Holy s**t. What ever happened to "I'll never sell it"??

What a vagina.

FYI, @Girlybear , it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission...

I think, I'll just save a bit more, then have both and the wife can live with it. Depends if work come up with the goods this Oct.

I'll give you £1500 for it if you take those s**tty hoses off and paint the engine a nice oily colour. xxx

Deal.

Inferno 225 cup

Engine vibra mount could do with a spray of white ;)

I love this though mate, looks spot on :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Small update. Flamer got another good run out to see the guys race at Snet. Was a great day catching up with Tony Hunter and meeting sonny172cup.

Plucky 106 steed that Mr Hunter hustled about in for the day, which I have developed a huge soft spot for.

106Burpspeed_zpsae01e69d.jpg

Mine clocked past the magical 100k miles on the way back;

Beading_zpsf0edf7bb.jpg

And then it got wet (not bad beading given it was a good month since it was cleaned);

mileage_zps6ab99883.jpg

Up next, Llandow and Oulton in August, pretty much back to back. Cannot wait.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Another minor update. I bought a few things to go in the garage that I'd wanted for a while, and will come in very useful for the up and coming trackdays scheduled. First up, bought a low entry, aluminium race jack, 2.5 ton from SGS Engineering. Great bit of kit :)

photo1_zps3f98ddbe.jpg

Also bought a Clarke Impact Driver.

photo2_zpsc883346a.jpg

And this change is for @Tim. and @cat171

Fitted the side repeaters that @caymanr26 kindly gave me. Cheers bud :)

photo5_zps8847aa59.jpg

This weekends plans, I've got 182jwilliams coming over tomorrow to replace his discs and pads, and then early Sunday got a SC run out which should be good. I'll try and clean the car tomorrow if I get time.

Many.

Looking good buddy.

Bout time the garage became better equipped. Is the jack low and long enough to get to the chassis leg no problem? Thats the reason I love my Costco one (Arcon or something like that?)

Repeaters look much better too.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Looking good buddy.

Bout time the garage became better equipped. Is the jack low and long enough to get to the chassis leg no problem? Thats the reason I love my Costco one (Arcon or something like that?)

Repeaters look much better too.

Yep, the jack gets under the car nicely :)

Cheers, I'm going to schedule a BBQ at some point towards the end of summer, so hopefully catch up then if you can make it.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

I have the same impact wrench, what power model did you go for? Think mine was 200nm

Shame I didnt get time to have a proper mooch around your car at Snett

Morning chaps! It's the 220nm one Sonny. The car was tucked around the back of Hunters shedvan at Snet, it's no racer, but it goes well enough / fulfils it's track day purpose :)

The body of that clarke impact gun looks identical my sealey just coloured different. Probably the same lol.

My impact gun is one of the best things I have ever bought!

Also I think i preferred your car on 5 spokes :eek:

Clio 172 Flamer

Had a quick look over this one matey, very impressive and pleased we insure it :D

Good to chat to you mate and if you need anything else, let me know.

Dan @ Greenlight

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti

Car is still looking good Oli, how to I find out about these secret trips... huh!I am blaming Tim. :p

I however can't make it up to yours this time around, I am sure there will be others.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Not seen this thread. The car looks fantastic. Great to see everyone chipping in and getting it running!

Cheers Iain, yep, I'm grateful to a lot of guys on here for helping me out :) Hopefully get some decent pictures of it at Llandow and Oulton in the next couple of weeks.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Re: Cub's Trackday Flamer - Cage etc

@CUB is the lsd really worth getting? Isn't it about a grand? Make any difference on the road? I could never feel it working on my r26 tbh.

I noticed Tim's in his R26 alot more on track than i did when a passenger with him on the road. Llandow is where i felt it really working for the first time. Where i was having to keep partial throttle coming in and out of the bus stop Tim's foot was flat on the floor !!! It left me rather speechless !

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

I am looking forward to seeing this at Llandow!

Cheers George, hope it doesn't disappoint :eek:

@CUB is the lsd really worth getting? Isn't it about a grand? Make any difference on the road? I could never feel it working on my r26 tbh.

Personally, out of all the mods I've done I think it's been the best. You can get the power down earlier and harder, without losing traction at the front. Everyone knows these cars corner well, but the LSD adds another dimension to them, IMO. They are also a must if you are planning on more power (I still dream of a supercharger).

Downside, as you highlight they aren't cheap. Mine was £1200, and it's a gearbox out job to fit which adds cost. If you are interested @NorthloopCup is a top bloke who helped me sort the Gripper refurb cheaper than elsewhere (he can do the same on new purchases of both a Gripper or Quaiffes I believe).

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

If paying for someone else to remove the box, rebuild with the gripper and refit like most people on here will require, then its more like double that.

Inferno 225 cup

If paying for someone else to remove the box, rebuild with the gripper and refit like most people on here will require, then its more like double that.

As chip says, the cost was a fairly large sum for me but the drive after was incredible.

If I bought another Clio i think that would be one of the first things I'd do, instead of trying to chase bhp. IMO.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

A 2K diff makes sense if you are building a 10K+ clio, less so if you are buying a clio cause they good value out of the box, so its all down to what you want the car for and how long you are keeping it really.

Inferno 225 cup

A 2K diff makes sense if you are building a 10K+ clio, less so if you are buying a clio cause they good value out of the box, so its all down to what you want the car for and how long you are keeping it really.

Or like me that's splashes the cash and sells it a month after having everything done. :(