ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cub's Flamer - Supercharged, Cage etc

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Re: Cub's Trackday Flamer - Cage etc

As Chip points out, it's only really worth doing major/costly mods (by that I include the diff) if you are planning on keeping the car a while.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

Or like me that's splashes the cash and sells it a month after having everything done. :(

IIRC them's the rulez.

Build track car.
Spend all of the money.
Don't go near a track.
Sell or break car.
Get some money back.
Enjoy the feeling of "making money" to spend on new toys.
Wonder why you have no money.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

IIRC them's the rulez.

Build track car.
Spend all of the money.
Don't go near a track.
Sell or break car.
Get some money back.
Enjoy the feeling of "making money" to spend on new toys.
Wonder why you have no money.

I'm not following 'teh rulez'. Flamer is here to stay for quite some time ;)

In addition, with the upcoming trackdays at Llandow and Oulton, I have bought a few extra goodies. First up, a helmet (which came with a free helmet bag);

photo2_zps0a9cdd1c.jpg

photo3_zpsbc03bb65.jpg

photo4_zps17ab25e2.jpg

photo5_zpseb2fe4bd.jpg

Top service from John at Demon Tweeks using the club discount from here.

I also ordered 2 x 5l Fuchs Titan Pro S Oil from Opie Oils, to do an oil change after Llandow. It was on offer so I bought two sets to keep one in the garage for next time.

Oil_zps97bacdc7.jpg

I need to give the car a clean, which I'm doing this weekend, and then it is all set for Llandow. :)

Oh, and I have also committed to a set of these ;)

10072587593_35283d3afa.jpg

10072582263_1337187444.jpg

Apologies to NorthloopCup and BIGASH for shamefully stealing their pictures.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Glad you have committed to the hubs. Really does make a huge difference.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member

Can someone offer me a brief summary of what they do and how they improve things? I've seen the thread and it has too many posts. A simple one-liner will do, thanks.

Listerine & Poledo

Only happens down south. The north do it reet proper.

Take old heap
Spend all money on Stones Bitter
Apply modfixes with gaffa tape
Sell on
Enjoy Crimewatch footage of old car going through the front of H. Samuels

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Can someone offer me a brief summary of what they do and how they improve things? I've seen the thread and it has too many posts. A simple one-liner will do, thanks.

No chance in a one-liner and it actually educate you about them in a useful way really, but will be as brief as I can

Standard 172 has really good rollcentres (its a measure of geometry)
When you lower a car it ruins these rollcentres which is bad, at the same time as lowering the COG (which is good) improving the looks (which is good) and generally making the suspension harder (which is good to a point)
This kit puts the roll centre back, without undoing any of the other effects of lowering.

So standard car = good at roll centre but bad at some other stuff
Lowered car = good at other stuff but bad at roll centre
Lowered car plus these = no downsides (other than cost) and all the good stuff of lowering

Effect when driving = car turns in sharper, and leans less

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member

No chance in a one-liner and it actually educate you about them in a useful way really, but will be as brief as I can

Standard 172 has really good rollcentres (its a measure of geometry)
When you lower a car it ruins these rollcentres which is bad, at the same time as lowering the COG (which is good) improving the looks (which is good) and generally making the suspension harder (which is good to a point)
This kit puts the roll centre back, without undoing any of the other effects of lowering.

So standard car = good at roll centre but bad at some other stuff
Lowered car = good at other stuff but bad at roll centre
Lowered car plus these = no downsides (other than cost) and all the good stuff of lowering

Effect when driving = car turns in sharper, and leans less
Thanks Chip, that was exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. Now I just need to read it a few more times, and read around it a bit too, before I actually understand.

Or maybe I'll do as Oli suggests and start saving!

Are the benefits more suited to track application, or are they equally valid for 'fast road' spec?

182cup & 172 racecar

I would say just as important for fast road spec tbh, a track is more even than the roads, so road benefit is very good indeed.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I would say just as important for fast road spec tbh, a track is more even than the roads, so road benefit is very good indeed.

I agree in principle but in practice you have to be a bit of a tool on the road to ever need more than a standard one of these cars can do. Lol.

But it it does just feel "right" which is good anywhere. Lot of money though.

Clio RS 172 2002

When you lower the car the suspension points on the wheels move up relative to the body, these things move them back down again.

One line.

In oz these would need an engineering certificate to be road legal. What's the case in the uk?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

When you lower the car the suspension points on the wheels move up relative to the body, these things move them back down again.

One line.

Yeah that's one line but if you already understand why moving the suspension points is bad you would know what these did and if you don't then that line won't help much I suspect. Lol.
Good effort though.

In oz these would need an engineering certificate to be road legal. What's the case in the uk?

we don't really have an equivalent. Technically if you modify a vehicle enough it invalidates it's type approval but very little is done about it.
one of my cars is converted to mid engine rwd from fwd front engine and when the police have stopped me for a routine check they have never once questioned if it's actually legal or not and it passes our annual test just fine too. Madness really!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Small update. Hadn't moved the car for a while, so with Llandow on Weds I thought I best give it a clean and a run out, check it still works ;) Lucky I did, as whilst on the shake down drive the PMS shifter moved slightly out of alignment, so I could go into reverse without needing to lift the guard. Not good, and certainly wouldn't be good for track work. I nursed it back got it in the garage, jacked up and on axle stands, and awaited the cavalry to lend me a hand.

Photo1_zps03775bc4.jpg

Then the cavalry started to arrive, although I think it was the BBQ that they came for and not to fix the car;

photo2_zps54549e3a.jpg

photo7_zpscaf4915d.jpg

And with 5 mins of Budgie under the car, and me in it, the selector was adjusted and all was right in the world :)

With my car fixed, Christopher. fitted an airbox to his PB, and the BBQ got fired up. With the BBQ going, I got a chance to have a good luck around Phase1sr Ph1 and it is bonkers how nice it is. Words can't do justice to it, it literally looks like an improved (cams, coilovers) car that has come straight from the factory yesterday. I'm glad it got a good run out Scott, it is a real credit to you and it sounded great as it headed off. Some photos of it that don't do it justice;

photo6_zpsb0203cd4.jpg

photo5_zps67f499bc.jpg

photo4_zpsf77d23d8.jpg

photo3_zps38da43c9.jpg

Everyone had something to eat, including JP83 cake - cheers bud, amazing :) Then some of us headed into town for the night, where photos were definitely not taken. Good to catch up with you all, and I look forward to Llandow which the car is ready for;

photo8_zps090b1a7b.jpg

photo9_zps7ec0fd7a.jpg

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep

Was a good afternoon. Shame I had to shoot early but I was on call :(

I'm hoping for some good footage on Wednesday Cub ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Did Tim drive off and leave anyone this week?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Thanks for the hospitality mate, im yet to here the car from outside but im glad it sounded good. :D

I got onto the motorway and thought, balls i didn't get any cake.

It looked amazing and i was gutted. :(

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep

T'was a good little get together, and the car is looking ace dude.

The domestic garage is something else too.
Phase1sr - Cub was left with about half of it when I left earlier on today. I bet it's gone now... :D

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Looking awesome, Oli. Probably wise to get the PMS shifter re-aligned... I wouldn't fancy picking up bits of your gearbox from around the bus-stop at Llandow! :p

A great little gathering and I hope I can make one at some point in the future. It's just a shame Scott's Phase 1 shed let the whole side down... what a minger... :star:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Looking awesome, Oli. Probably wise to get the PMS shifter re-aligned... I wouldn't fancy picking up bits of your gearbox from around the bus-stop at Llandow! :p

A great little gathering and I hope I can make one at some point in the future. It's just a shame Scott's Phase 1 shed let the whole side down... what a minger... :star:

Cub did ask me to park up the road, i couldn't work out why. :eek:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Phase1sr do you have a set of original Michelin Pilot tyres for it, or are you not that anal about originality?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Phase1sr do you have a set of original Michelin Pilot tyres for it, or are you not that anal about originality?

I have 1 new ish one in the garage mate.
It's on PE2s chip, I think I'd rather drive it on the PE2s and feel safe than old tyre's.

Although if it was a concourse car and every judging point mattered then I might hunt a set down and fit them. :rolleyes:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I have 1 new ish one in the garage mate.
It's on PE2s chip, I think I'd rather drive it on the PE2s and feel safe than old tyre's 2 although if it was a concourse car and every judging point mattered then I might hunt a set down and fit them. :rolleyes:

Yeah wasnt sure how far you were going with it or if you used it for concours etc.

If you ever need any give me a shout, I kept a set when I had my Ph1 just in case I decided to go full r****d with the originality but then decided not to (not my turbo, my silver one)
Managed to track down two that are almost zero wear, and two that are only worn about a quarter, but like you say they are older rubber, thats unavoidable as they havent been made for about 10 years, i decided to hang onto them in case anyone really needed them for concours etc, as seemed a shame to wear them out just driving around using them as a random set of tyres and you're the first person Ive seen that looks serious enough to appreciate them so far, lol.