ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flame Red 172's .... Many left?

Westfield, 182, 200
I'm fed up with people telling me their cars are fsh, very good condition, no dents or scratches, you won't find better.

i asked as many questions as possible before I went, just full of s**te. Car was a right shed today, travelled 250 miles for 30 seconds of fail.
That annoys the sxxt out of me. If someone says there's a dent in the door and scratches, then I know what to expect.
Looked at lots of mint 350z's that were sheds. The one I bought was advertised as stone chips and a scuff on the front bumper, honesty paid off!

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Was it that bad dawn?

It only took me 20/30 seconds to realise I've wasted our time. Looked alright from 500 yards.

2 dents in the drivers door pillar
1 or 2 dints in the side panels
Doors opened very stiffly & clonked
sills chipped right the way along on both sides
headlights were beyond repair imo
front bumper had a crap load of chips, even more laquer peel/bubbling
No original front bumper stickers
Bonnet had a dent & paint bubbling
Bonnet latch was buggered (I went to close it by dropping it from a few inches, didn't close twice. He just pushed on it & closed it. I said what's up with this & he played it innocently saying he's not had a problem before)
gaffer tap just under the manifold inlet with a load of sealant around it & a lovely oil leek from it
Deep scratch on the LH skirt
LH skirt towards the rear wasn't sitting right
immediately under that the underside part by the jack points were mullered
Major gouge/scratch touched up on the bootlid
Few more dings on the other side
Alloys were ok, not brill. didn't even check the tyres etc
Interior was dirty
seats were worn to hell, both. Looked like they covered 91k three times over
passenger seat tilt handle missing
glove box scratched to high heavens

To name a few. I didn't even go over it properly. Didn't even check the paperwork.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I've been to see few apparently really good ones lately they were crap when I got there

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Yep, for £1700 I wasn't expecting mint but good condition with a few blemishes. This took the pee though. Was utterly miffed. Still, I apologised for wasting his time & set off. Lol. Muppet :(

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
I told him it's got too many niggles for me to be happy. Pointed out a few & he just said ok. Tbh I didn't even want to waste my time talking to him. Typical young lad unfortunately. Plus, I'm too nice to tell him his cars a pile of monkey poo.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Christ. Paid £2000 for mine in jan. 53k miles, decent condition. Needed belts doing, and one or two other small issues. £1700 on 91k!

I told him it's got too many niggles for me to be happy. Pointed out a few & he just said ok. Tbh I didn't even want to waste my time talking to him. Typical young lad unfortunately. Plus, I'm too nice to tell him his cars a pile of monkey poo.
Fair enough. I lol'd @ monkey poo :cool:

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Yep, I can't get over some peoples perception of very good condition. Can't seem to get a good one for any where near 2k. There's one at a dealers on 60k but he has it up at £3,250! No way.

So, do I now look at one that needs body work? Ideally I'd like one with belts etc done, service history but needs paint ?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd rather have good bodywork and belts need doing. That way you can get the belts done somewhere reputable and know it's been done correctly. But tbh, it's a £2-3k 10yr old car. There will be some issue's.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
yep, that's going to be my biggest struggle as I hate crap bodywork. Dings can be sorted.

I agree on the belts, but finding one is going to be hard.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH sounds like you should wait for that one in notts, seems the best out of them so far, dead ecu is nothing to worry about, just a case of swapping in a new uch/ecu/keychip and away you go.
Mick's sorting it shortly after he moves premises anyway isnt he?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
TBH sounds like you should wait for that one in notts, seems the best out of them so far, dead ecu is nothing to worry about, just a case of swapping in a new uch/ecu/keychip and away you go.
Mick's sorting it shortly after he moves premises anyway isnt he?

This. Dead ECU means you should replace it with a new aftermarket one and a whopping great Turbo. That is my man logic. :eek:

Keep the faith Dawn, just make sure you're monitoring here / PH / Autotrader almost constantly. :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
This. Dead ECU means you should replace it with a new aftermarket one and a whopping great Turbo. That is my man logic. :eek:

Keep the faith Dawn, just make sure you're monitoring here / PH / Autotrader almost constantly. :)

Cub's right.

A few hundred pound repair, we can quite easily turn in 4k + and it always makes sense in our mind's. :D

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
ha, guys! I will hold out for the nott's one unless something similar turns up. Doubtful though.

DCI 80
I don't think I've seen one for sale in a while! You've got a task on your hands. Good luck!

Yeah after thinking "Oh silver will be nice" then seeing TinchoRS's flamer, well i've had nothing on my mind since.
Then once finding it its a case of is it even worth buying!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
That age of car, I'd buy on condition alone. Can't be too picky with 10yr old s**t boxes.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Had mine for 5 years now love the colour, it's covered just over 60k. It has been sat for over a year now so I am currently talking to Andyrg to see if he can come over and see if the UCH needs recoding as it won't turn over (even with charged battery) and the serv light is flashing.

Hopefully it won't be anything serious, so if it gets sorted then it will be going in for a test then it'll be up for sale. If it is serious then it'll be broken and there will be one less flamer :(

51A2FCAD-884D-400D-81F0-35D7E5FBAC19-264-000000E209EC2D47_zpsfc942677.jpg

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
That looks a lovely example Scott. Please pm when you decide to sell!

The picture is probably a little flattering.... but it is a good car and in good condition.

I have loved every minute of driving it. If it was cheaper to turbo then I'd have just done that but I have a evo powered proton project to be getting on with.

Clio 172, Pug 106
IMG_0273.jpg

theres mine!!
finally coming back out on the road nxt weekend after spending the winter not moving :)

Hi all. I thought I'd resurrect this thread almost 10 years later.
I've owned my Flamer now for about 7-8 years and it's been a journey for sure.

I am also interested in how many are left as this thread came up after searching to see any for sale to gauge a rough estimate for mine, not that it's for sale though.