ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ford Racing Puma #160/500 (Déjà vu)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks great! Ive never seen one of these in person.

Any plans to lower it at all? I'd imagine it would have some proper road presence if it was a bit lower!

It is a consideration but only for bespoke springs. The rear actually sits well. The front is a tad high but it's designed that way due to clearances. This one sits better than my last because it has older shocks and springs.

Some people really do need to get girlfriends.

Enjoy it Kev, you'll no doubt get as much satisfaction from making it as immaculate as your old one, as you will driving it! :)

I hope so mate. Seeing my Dad's face and my Brother's for that matter light up when I told them I was getting another was nice. We are a massive Ford family and I love Ford so it feels great to be back in one. Great manufacturer/brand community.

Awesome cars! I have never even seen one on the road!!

I haven't seen one since I sold mine. Just under 300 left at the last unofficial count.

Liking this young Kevin, will be watching! I drove a standard puma the other day, and I really liked! :) would love a drive in a frp.

Thanks mate. Apart from the brakes the Puma is a stunning little car. A great drive and a shape IMO that hasn't dated badly.

There's one of these near to where I work. Rust on every panel, never been washed and all the wheels are curbed. Looks a state!

The doors are usually fine and the front wing are aluminium so it's usually just the rear 1/4s that are poor. Tickford did fit those panels with minimal finesse IMO.

Great cars - I want mine back too.

Loads of spares currently on ebay.

They are very infectious. Especially the looks and attention they receive, love that people actually want to ask questions about the car, young and old. Not many cars command that type of attention

I've always liked the FRP - lovely car :)

Any plans for rust proofing? I've had two Fiestas in the past so know about the perils of Ford bodywork!

Yeah BiltHamber will be dealing with any rust proofing. As I said it's only the rear wings that have an issue sadly.

Lol at Pembrey!

Nice awful picture Kevin.

You know how much I <3 those lap times! Thanks mate.

You sellin yet? Cash waiting

7k and we can start talking! ;) I can't believe you haven't owned one yet!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nice width. Really like these after perving over your last one at CSS

Thanks mate. It wasn't at it's best but glad people got to see one.

Love it gally, Best of luck with it.

Theres one floating around near me, they certainly have road presence, great looking cars imo.

Thanks dude. I've only seem mine on the road once where a workmate drove it for a video and it looked great when moving.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Lols! Wide! No wonder it was scrubbing!

Fuel cut off cover? Tell me more? Isn't the cut off in the floorwell/A post? Pass side?

Screw cover is just a door card one mate. Had bloody 3 different trim colours to choose from! Fun times!

Yeah down by the passengers left foot. On the fiesta zs it didn't have a cover over the hole as standard so you had to get one of a ghia. Couldn't remember if it was the same in the pumas.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols! Yeah it has a cover. Just part of the carpet mate. Funny bloody cars.

Listerine & Poledo
7k and we can start talking! ;) I can't believe you haven't owned one yet!

1st refusal come sale-day fella, this time I hopefully won't have 300 other things to sort at the same time!

A friend had one before, when I had my MX-3. We loved our coupes, I'd have either of them, Mazda for that V6, FRP for the silliness. It's an awesome silly tho, to be clear :)

Could buy a back-up MX-3 tomorrow but just don't have anywhere to keep it......ANT! Any room down The Unit?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Been looking at these.. May be my next car once i get everything sorted with my life.. Eg A house haha... Id have to fiddle with it mind.. ST Engine on Bodies would be rather epic

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
IIRC Front Discs are daft money on these? (Mate had one of these for his first car) Why are they so pricey?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
IIRC Front Discs are daft money on these? (Mate had one of these for his first car) Why are they so pricey?

Mostly because they are bespoke sized Alcon discs and no longer made. There are alternatives (limited) but the Alcon vented discs are very impressive.

Listerine & Poledo
The brakes were what caused my mate to off-load his. It was the all-angles service coming up with new boots and stoppers all round.

He got a Civic-R (bread-van spec) as a replacement and after 2 years of ownership lost about £3k in value (this was 2002ish)

Z4
Nicely done mate, this move was inevitable!

My brother used to have a standard 1.7 and I get it. The exclusivity is great, but what does average Joe think about it? Probably thinks you should still have the Tt! Silly Joe.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The brakes were what caused my mate to off-load his. It was the all-angles service coming up with new boots and stoppers all round.

He got a Civic-R (bread-van spec) as a replacement and after 2 years of ownership lost about £3k in value (this was 2002ish)

Frp to CTR? The Frp is pretty unique and I do think you need to want to love them to get the full experience.

Nicely done mate, this move was inevitable!

My brother used to have a standard 1.7 and I get it. The exclusivity is great, but what does average Joe think about it? Probably thinks you should still have the Tt! Silly Joe.

Funnily average Joe actually loves it. Okay they don't know the exact ins and outs but most know it's a pumped up Puma, slightly different to people's perceptions of the Trophy which was just a Red Clio.

There is zero doubt it turns head because in the flesh you don't mistake it for a Blue Puma, it looks very different on the road.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Saw a white rusty shed on halfords alloys at the weekend, glanced twice and it had FRP seats! Seats were probably worth more than the car!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I like it because it's different. And others don't get it!...Like of like the V6.

Good on ya!

Listerine & Poledo
Just like the v6, to the random it looks like a Tonka, or Tamiya car that got built full-scale.

Which is what makes the inner-child want one more and more.

FYI, FRP comes with pops n bangs as standard.....yo

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nice example on AT for sale... LSD, Remap, Turinis and 4 spare wheels in good condition. Few other bits. 80k miles.

Shame about the spoiler but should be an easy fix. Prefer Silver wheels also. Wonder how the Silver turinis would look.

ymu2a5ar.jpg

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Looking good Gally!!

Do you have an owners list for these? I think there is one that is sitting in Edinburgh which has been under a cover for years. I only assume its an FRP due to its shape, 90% sure it is one though

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah we do mate, numbers and names/location and usually forum names. You really need to know the number in that case though.

People have them in storage a lot.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I like it because it's different. And others don't get it!...Like of like the V6.

Good on ya!

I remember discussing how many similarities they share during ownership of the last one. They do suffer the same pros and cons.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've refrained from commenting because I was waiting for you to polish it to within an inch of it's life but I can wait no longer.

f**king love it Rod, marvellous motor.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Was this car based on the floor of a fiesta kev.?

Its a long time ago but back in the day i had a fiesta RS1800 and i wanted bigger brakes without the cost,i found out at a local club meeting that mondeo V6 brakes fitted straight on.Would this be a similar set up???

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
On a side note if your like me and want to know all about your car...

Right from the start of EVO they ran a Puma as a long-termer - certainly up to and including Issue 11.
EVO 14 also had a Puma included in a hot hatch group test and in EVO 29 they covered it under the 'Performance Rating' article.
It had already been covered in Performance Car as well back at the launch by much the same guys as wrote in EVO.
Hope that is useful.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've refrained from commenting because I was waiting for you to polish it to within an inch of it's life but I can wait no longer.

f**king love it Rod, marvellous motor.

Thanks Robbo! Means a lot mate. Such a fizzy little car.

Was this car based on the floor of a fiesta kev.?

Its a long time ago but back in the day i had a fiesta RS1800 and i wanted bigger brakes without the cost,i found out at a local club meeting that mondeo V6 brakes fitted straight on.Would this be a similar set up???

Based on the Mk5 Fiesta floorpan mate, valance area and front and back inners all changed then obviously upper area and all bodywork.

The MK3 I don't know much about mate in regards to mods but most fit that Mondeo set up to the standard Puma as the standard items are poor.

What's the main things to look for above from the rust on the rear dude and suspension arms?

Bit of rust on the rear arches, doors are always fine and front wing are aluminium. Suspension is good for at least 120k, struts and springs are very very heavy duty items. Rear bushes and other bushes as with any car. Cambelt, passenger water leak through pollen filter can be common.

I can't think of anything really at all. On the Frp brakes are the main thing. My one came with brand new calipers but regular cleaning is a good way to keep them tip top. Don't buy one that doesn't have alcons. The brakes are motorsport items and simply epic on such a small car. Pads are actually used on the Aerial Atom.

Stone chips come with the territory, any without will have been freshly repainted.

On a side note if your like me and want to know all about your car...

Right from the start of EVO they ran a Puma as a long-termer - certainly up to and including Issue 11.
EVO 14 also had a Puma included in a hot hatch group test and in EVO 29 they covered it under the 'Performance Rating' article.
It had already been covered in Performance Car as well back at the launch by much the same guys as wrote in EVO.
Hope that is useful.

As you will have seen from the last car for sale ad mate I have 8 magazines with Frp articles. Evo #16 was by far the best, simply brilliant review from Richard Meaden. Sadly i'm in the process of collecting them all again! Thanks though mate.

Listerine & Poledo
Evo reviews are worth more than Saffron, apparently

If Chris Harris says anything about a car, it's immediately gospel

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Ian! Another one for me to track down! Excellent. Pistonheads were interested in doing a carpool article on one.