ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel Choices - Brc 99ron Rolling Out

Rsport182Cup'd
sure we all had a go with the
Vpower (formerly optimax but a little better)
BP Ultimate
Total Excellium
Texaco Havoline

and all the others, but now we are now starting to see TESCO roll out 99Ron super rather than the usual 98super as all the others are, and as claimed on the pumps as used by BRC GB Rally Team - just put my first tank of it in, always use super rather than reg,

here in doncaster at 84.0p/Ltr for it in supermarket and Totals regular fuel is same price, well worth a fix at the supermarket,

THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS

If i was feeling flush i would really prefer to use demon-tweeks race fuel but thats a bit tooooo dear :rasp:

Rsport182Cup'd
Super Fuels

Many of the large petrol companies have launched 'super fuels' - petrols and diesels that have a higher research octane level. These fuels are said to increase power in many vehicles, deliver less pollution than regular fuels and help to maintain a cleaner engine. Tesco will soon be selling Super Unleaded 99 Octane petrol, supplied by Greenergy,the highest octane level petrol available in the UK.

Using Super Fuels

One of our users commented that using higher octane fuel than your engine requires actually gives no benefit and may be a waste of money. This is because virtually NO engines require 98 RON over 95, and the market for 'super' fuels seems to be based on people's misunderstanding of octane ratings and the placebo effect of filling up with 'more powerful' fuel - making motorists think their engine is running better in some way.
What do the fuel companies say then, to justify the "increased power" claims for the super grade fuels? Some companies say that while all fuels contain cleaning additives, 'super' fuels contain more or better detergents to keep the injectors cleaner than standard fuel. Others say the fuel is a few percent denser which gives slightly more power per litre. These benefits may be marginal though in comparison to the extra cost involved so it is worth ensuring that your engine will actually benefit before filling up.
Some engines actually do need higher octane fuel, such as race engines with very high compression and some turbocharged engines, such as the import version of the Nissan Skyline. Also, a few vehicles, such as the new BMW K1200R motorbike, can sense knock and adjust their engine tuning to take advantage of higher grade fuels. Another user commented that the 2004 BMW 330 also does this, according to the driver's handbook it makes 231 BHP on 98 octane and 221 BHP on 95. This ability is apparently widespread amongst German performance cars using Bosch / Siemens electronic engine controls

Rsport182Cup'd
SORRY ABOUT POST LENGTH, and as you are all probably aware as standard 182 comes with BOSCH controls

dunno on other models, but the mass air flow meter inlet etc is all german engineering

Last edited:
  FF 182, v6 wheels
i went to renault, and was speaking to one of the engineers, and he sai that tesco fuel is not that good for your car.

Rsport182Cup'd
Which company make Tesco fuel, anybody know, i know asda comes from connoco (jet) and sainsburys is by BP

Dirty E91
I tried Tesco 99 when it came out, idle was quite lumpy and the MPG I was getting dropped compared to Optimax(as it was back then) and Ultimate.

Turbos.
I read an earlier thread explaining that Tesco 99 had a boosted ron rating but was actually not better than 98 V Power, they just went for a headline figure.

Tesco have been doing 99 for ages. Do you mean they're rolling it out nationwide now?

I've used it once and the MPG was cack. I've heard thats down to its bio-ethanol content.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
go to a paint suppliers and buy some tollulene, add that to your petrol...

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo
I have tried all of the supers, as i have to use them, and i am yet to notice a difference betwen them. So i go with tesco as its considerably cheaper than v-power and bp super. My freind with his import impreza also use tesco, as he to couldnt detect any difference. Also my friend with the 370bhp 306 gti-6 uses tesco and his runs perfectly on that to. As for noticing any difference in mpg, its very hards to do and accurate test on the road due to the massive amount of varibles that could occur, so any differences are most likely down to these varibles, not the fuel imo.

SLK 350
SORRY ABOUT POST LENGTH, and as you are all probably aware as standard 182 comes with BOSCH controls

dunno on other models, but the mass air flow meter inlet etc is all german engineering

Clio doesn't have a knock sensor mate, so it account for higher RON fuel via changing the timings/retarding, therefore as with the EVO test a while back that saw the Golf GTI getting 20bhp~ gain on Optimax, im afraid the 172/182 will see no gain in power.

It's all very debatable though, you'll get Mr.A claiming his car is quicker, and he see's increased MPG, and you'll get Mr.B who dismisses those claims and says it makes no difference.

Rsport182Cup'd
Just to clear matters up,
TESCO are now rolling it out nationwide after trials in certain arears, trials meaning checking on peoples comments not on the fuel quality in cleanness or what it does to an engine,

and for the other comments i do know that we have not got a knock sensor so the bhp gains or losses were not appropriate, was just pointing out that we are running on bosch electronics and mass air flow meters.

i am currently running it and as commented by MCOPPEN not a noticeable difference between any of the supers other than the price

Megane Trophy
Shell V power - 340 miles to a tank in the 172
tesco 99 - made about 280 miles to a tank

with optimax at 94p at the moment i dont mind using that!

Rsport182Cup'd
difficult to compare truly like this though when you might drive car like a old man one day and then like a rally driver the next , - unless like me you are rallying all the time.

E90
hasn't this issue been discussed about 6 million times before in clio discussion? any chance admin can sticky one of em

Rsport182Cup'd
sorry if it was tried to do a search to no avail so we not always chattin on same old stuff all the time,

i can get ethanol - lol
ROCKET FUEL

SLK 350
Aye these MPG comparisons make me chuckle:

On Optimax I got 1,500 miles to a tank, on Tesco 99 I got about/around/roughly/typically 1,200 therefore with my scientific evidence I conclude that I am in fact talking bullsh1t.

If you have a car on a RR for 400 miles at constant speed, or in a controlled environment then great, write home about it. If not...then please stop making these deluded MPG comments, think how many times you brake, get stuck in traffic, drive into a headwind, over-take, drop a cog...blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Stop talking sh1t.

Oh and for the record, a FF is better than a Cup...just to stir the thread!

Rsport182Cup'd
REAL RACE FUEL

http://www.aaoil.co.uk/frameset.cfm

Now these fuels are just silly, - but probably fun.................

Please note that due to the very extreme design of this high power fuel it is by nature very unstable. Make sure that you do not expose the fuel to direct sunlight and do not keep containers open. Do not leave fuel in the vehicle's tank for longer than 48 hours.

109RON 4.5%Oxygen

as seen on NASCAR and other proAm racers

Not a stupid price only £3.60 /ltr, just wait our government will be taxin us to that before i die

Fiesta ST
I'll stick with normal unleaded and every so often put some injector cleaner in myself... job done, and saved me some pennies in the process. I don't see the need for this fuel unless you run (like stated) a high powered, tuned, car. Otherwise it's not worth the money, hell, even normal fuel is not worth the money... what a rip-off!

Clio doesn't have a knock sensor mate, so it account for higher RON fuel via changing the timings/retarding, therefore as with the EVO test a while back that saw the Golf GTI getting 20bhp~ gain on Optimax, im afraid the 172/182 will see no gain in power.

It's all very debatable though, you'll get Mr.A claiming his car is quicker, and he see's increased MPG, and you'll get Mr.B who dismisses those claims and says it makes no difference.

clio does have a knock sensor, its that sodding great big thing right above your oil filter.

The clio doesnt have a MAF sensor, its speed density based using a MAP.

TESCO are now rolling it out nationwide after trials in certain arears, trials meaning checking on peoples comments not on the fuel quality in cleanness or what it does to an engine,

and for the other comments i do know that we have not got a knock sensor so the bhp gains or losses were not appropriate, was just pointing out that we are running on bosch electronics and mass air flow meters.

i am currently running it and as commented by MCOPPEN not a noticeable difference between any of the supers other than the price

Bosch electronics?

Its siemens ecu, sagem coils, pico injectors etc.........i cant remember who exactly makes the air and coolant temp sensors and the MAP sensor. But we certainly dont run 'bosch' electronics......and we do have knock adaption.

Ben, you know you can quote several people easily using the quote plus icon (next to the quote button). Just hit that on every post you want to quote on and click the post reply button.

PS - not getting at you - just friendly advice.

Jap Shed
Its s**t where i live there nearest 98 is 9 miles away, always end up putting 95 in my 172..................GGRRRR!

Rsport182Cup'd

Bosch electronics?

Its siemens ecu, sagem coils, pico injectors etc.........i cant remember who exactly makes the air and coolant temp sensors and the MAP sensor. But we certainly dont run 'bosch' electronics......and we do have knock adaption.
One will apologise ben but we do have a mass airflow meter with a dirty great bosch badge emplazened on it, and still with seimens its german engineering, which in the origional context was about why the clio is such a car for the awesome technology that is in it

i will 100% gaurantee we do not have a MAF.........why?

Because there is nothing between throttle body and air filter.

Like i said, speed density which uses a MAP sensor. This is placed on the side of the inlet manifold on the offside.