ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaz.'s 1996 Mazda RX7 FD3S Efini (JDM & Rotary Content)

Well, this has been a long awaited thread (for me anyway!). Last night, I finally had my RX7 sat in the garage. I put a deposit on it 3 weeks ago, was meant to collect it last weekend, and the seller finally brought it up to me this weekend.

So, some details. Imported from Japan around 6 months ago, it hasn't yet been used in the UK. Mileage is a massive 38,600km! I can't even use it as the DVLA are faffing about registering it :rolleyes:. Recent Compression Test (13/01/12) showing: Front Rotor: 7.4, 7.4, 7.6 bar @ 250RPM Rear Rotor: 7.3, 7.6, 7.3 bar @ 250RPM, so a fairly healthy engine.

It came from Japan with an aftermarket "OMP" steering wheel, Tein Super Street Coilovers and a set of 17x9" ET20 Buddy Club P1 wheels.

6902383441_71a02c537d_b.jpg

Mazda RX7 1 by gaz_roberts01, on Flickr
6902374639_332e7f0ee3_b.jpg

Mazda RX7 2 by gaz_roberts01, on Flickr
6902367959_c4f1bf9e20_b.jpg

Mazda RX7 3 by gaz_roberts01, on Flickr
6902359225_4e6a0cba24_b.jpg

Mazda RX7 4 by gaz_roberts01, on Flickr

Excuse the picture quality, I can only work with the poor area I had for sunlight!

First thing I did was swap out the "OMP" wheel...

c1792c3e.jpg

For my lovely Nardi wheel. Horn doesn't work as there's no earth, which I need to sort out.

7b8bd188.jpg

Plus there's a few more immediate things I need to sort...
  • Needs a damn good polish, somebody has took a rotary to it and left me with scuffed off paint on plastics and lots of buffer trails.
  • Sort out the abortion DIY wiring somebody in Japan has done
  • Figure out why there's no reverse lights
  • Wire up a rear fog
  • Replace a couple of missing/damaged trim panels
  • Replace a snapped wheel stud, which I only noticed today
  • Sort the horn out
  • New gear knob, as it doesn't twist on far enough to show the gear shift pattern correctly, which annoys me
I also want to find an OEM front strut brace, as every other one I've seen has one, but this doesn't! I'm thinking about taking it to Hayward North too for a proper health check.

First impressions;

I might be a bit too tall for it, I feel like I'm hugging the windscreen but never mind. The Teins need to go, the damping is shockingly poor, it's like driving a pogo stick. Power wise it's very smooth and linear, seems to rev forever and ever too. Doesn't feel as quick as the Nissan but that may be down to the lower torque and a totally different power delivery. It's a nightmare to clean because water pours out of every panel gap after you've dried and driven it!

But I think I've got the bug already, I love it :D

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Not really my thing but there was one at Oulton on friday and it sounded epic.

Evo 6, E92 320d
Looks pretty sweet, agreed on the Teins, on a flat road they are superb but even on the softest setting mine were solid.

Never above 25mpg
I actually do like these and standard FTW. Don't like the interior much but can't win everything!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Love it gaz! They look sexy and people who say otherwise prob think clips are the fastest cars ever :p if you are brave enough a rx7 will easily out perform a clio in corners so ou are already winning... I posted on Fduk about the horn

Turbos.
They are good looking cars (i will politely ignore you declaring that the RX7 is the best looking Japanese car), but with a few mods. Namely, a de-spoiler and a bit of stance. For me, the wheels on yours do absolutely nothing for the car.

Tein are a rubbish company, just used by JDM fan boys who know nothing. Even Ohlins do a kit for an RX7, its not like there isn't choice out there...

Very easy car to get right, so looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Ohlins are 2.5k, they're awesome I've no doubt but I'll not be buying them. The Teins were fitted in Japan. I'm sure they're fine on the smooth roads they have.

The wheels won't stay anyway, got the Regas and the Meisters to try and squeeze under.

The NSX is your pretty 90's car I take it? I prefer a curvy girl to one with a square jaw ;)