ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long does it take a 182 to de-ice windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's worse than -5 here. Easy luke warm litre of water, 30 seconds later i'm off with the heated seats on. Perfect.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
In my 1.2, I just turn on the front and back screen blowers on, go back inside and have breakfast for 5mins (Gate is closed, and i'll see if someone is opening them, as i'll be out faster than they can reach the door handle), come out and the car is fully defrosted and quite toasty inside.

Job done.

Iirc that's actually illegal but that's a different thread.

Listerine & Poledo
It was misting up once the ice was cleared that annoyed me more than de-icing time in the 172.

But, as above. Scrape,de-ice, max climate at windscreen.

5 mins to do all windows

Lol at scraping ice. Heated screen if you're baller, or warm tap water if you're pauper (with the wipers peeled and wiping).

Scraping is just beyond r****d. Efficiency for the win. Also lol at cracking windscreens. I've used warm water in minus twenty conditions. You'd have to be in deep space and pour a bucket of magma on your screen to crack it.

IMO.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The water seems to stop any misting as it makes the temp inside and out level off.

People who use water need to die. Horribly and slowly. Scrapers FTW!

I can't say I've ever given a great deal of thought. It's a rare frost in this country that can't be scraped off in 30 seconds, it's hardly a massive hardship. It's probably a similar length of time it takes to sort a bottle of warm water and then pour it on.

The only trouble I remember having was one year it was covered in snow, partially melted and then re-froze. That was a motherfucker to remove. Not entirely convinced a bottle of warm water would have sorted that either.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
People who use water need to die. Horribly and slowly. Scrapers FTW!

I can't say I've ever given a great deal of thought. It's a rare frost in this country that can't be scraped off in 30 seconds, it's hardly a massive hardship. It's probably a similar length of time it takes to sort a bottle of warm water and then pour it on.

The only trouble I remember having was one year it was covered in snow, partially melted and then re-froze. That was a motherf**ker to remove. Not entirely convinced a bottle of warm water would have sorted that either.

But Roy said it's retarded to use a scraper so it must be true?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Scraper for me.

In the depths of winter water poured on the windscreen can freeze on contact with the ground which is fun when coming back out to get in the car, or for my family as they walk down the drive off to school.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You want me to scrape of the glass sealant that costs ££'s and took me hours to apply? Just spray de-icer on my paintwork aswell and let it strip my wax off, why not.

Or take 30 seconds and a litre bottle of water and drive away. I seen a guy spend 15 minute on a windscreen and 2 side windows alone this morning on his Bora. I was away by the time he got to the rear windscreen.

330i. E30 Touring.
You want me to scrape of the glass sealant that costs ££'s and took me hours to apply? Just spray de-icer on my paintwork aswell and let it strip my wax off, why not.

Or take 30 seconds and a litre bottle of water and drive away. I seen a guy spend 15 minute on a windscreen and 2 side windows alone this morning on his Bora. I was away by the time he got to the rear windscreen.

Whilst I agree with the warm water, I laugh at not wanting to use a scraper or de-icer to preserve protection.

Life really is too short for that IMO

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not really when it's safer driving in the winter/rain with a good glass sealant for visibility.

It damages the glass, you've seen the damage wipers do to glass why the hell would I use a scraper? 30 seconds it took. I don't even need the heaters on as it doesn't mist up.

Wipers damage glass? Are we talking about damage damage, or the damage you have to use special lamps to see, damage?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols, enough to see when the sun shines in the window. Faint scratches if you will. If that is what a bit of rubber does why the hell would I use a piece of hard plastic?

I would also add the water doesn't freeze on the screen due to the sealant, the water runs off instantly.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I can honestly say in all my years of driving and many 100,000s of miles covered I've never once had the thought that my vision is compromised because my rubber wiper blades have scratched the windscreen to the point of being dangerous.

LOL

Used a kettle full of 'cold' water this morning from the cold tap. Got it all off apart from i didn't have the wipers on to clear the screen, when i returned 10 seconds later the water had froze on the screen and was a tw*t to scrape off.. but i'd already locked up so i ended up just scraping away.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I can honestly say in all my years of driving and many 100,000s of miles covered I've never once had the thought that my vision is compromised because my rubber wiper blades have scratched the windscreen to the point of being dangerous.

LOL

Who said they did? I must have missed that post Marko.

Fiesta ST-2
Used a kettle full of 'cold' water this morning from the cold tap. Got it all off apart from i didn't have the wipers on to clear the screen, when i returned 10 seconds later the water had froze on the screen and was a tw*t to scrape off.. but i'd already locked up so i ended up just scraping away.

Mpemba effect ftw? I don't think the Mpemba effect was tested using icy car windscreens? Its not exactly fact, it just states hot water 'can' freeze faster in some instances. In my experience of using warm water and cold in the past, cold water freezes over a lot quicker.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Mpemba effect ftw? I don't think the Mpemba effect was tested using icy car windscreens? Its not exactly fact, it just states hot water 'can' freeze faster in some instances. In my experience of using warm water and cold in the past, cold water freezes over a lot quicker.

I can't say i've seen cold water freeze quicker tbh.

What is fact is that the warmer water doesn't posses the same gas content that colder water tends to. The gas in question lowers the temperature in which water will freeze for a start.

Good explanation can be found here http://chemistry.about.com/od/waterchemistry/a/Can-Hot-Water-Freeze-Faster-Than-Cold-Water.htm

ph2 172
i started mine up this morning, turned the fans on. Got out and de iced/scaped, when i got back in, the condensation that was blown onto the window by the fans had frozen on the inside of the windscreen. May need to change my pollen filter :/

09Accord 2.4 3.0i Z4
I thought its only illegal if its on the road?

That suggests its on his drive or something.

Summarized in the publication, The Highway Code:

The Driver and the Environment. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.

If this is correct then thank god i'm on a private road.

Anyway, been doing it for years, and I don't plan on stopping now. :cool:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

LOL

LOL

Clio 182 & Cup Packs
I actually, was thinking, why dont car manufacturers make the water in the washer bottle (mildly heated) or what about heated washer jets as a retro fit? Still its something more to break on a clio :) .. Incidentally when its frosty or going to be frosty I park the car nearer to the front of the house and it doesnt seem to get as bad

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I actually, was thinking, why dont car manufacturers make the water in the washer bottle (mildly heated) or what about heated washer jets as a retro fit? Still its something more to break on a clio :) .. Incidentally when its frosty or going to be frosty I park the car nearer to the front of the house and it doesnt seem to get as bad

I seem to remember some vehicles have heating elements in the bottle now.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
They do. They put them on expensive cars, most BMWs have heated jets but not much point if the water is already frozen.

Usually tech finds it's way into the cheaper market eventually but obviously not always.

Clio 182 & Cup Packs
Yeah good point Gally, after a bit of Googling, It seems Mercs have the heated washer bottles, never knew that sort of thing existed, Its warmed from the coolant apparently. I cant see how it would make much difference immediately mind, as the engine would be cold aswell.

ITB BG 182
Ice scrapers, warm to hot water, de-icer blah blah blah... Sod that.

Use this thing from the cig lighter and your off within a min or two and you dont even need the engine running.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/in-car-ceramic-heater-48775

Its held to the top of the dash with a simple spring clip so it dont budge, focused it on the main part of the screen that I look at and its all good to go.

My washers don't work anyway lol. I guess it would help once its warmed up if you need to spray as when its really cold they don't always defrost.

As for the original Q. Bit of luke warm / cold water, wipers on - done.

Status
Not open for further replies.