ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd clio 172/182's

Dead civic type r :(
What are peoples opinions on them? My plan all along was the buy a 182 and enjoy it and then eventually convert it to ITB's in the future. However I have just seen a couple for sale on the net already done so this would have a big financial saving and is very tempting.

Anything to look out for, both of the ones in question have been carried out by gdi.

Clio 182
TB's are generally very reliable and there is no reason that either of the conversions will give you plenty of enjoyment for you money.

GDi has a good rep from what i can see, the main area you want to look at are the inlet manifold, throttle linkage and wiring. Any problems will be pretty apparent.

Bear in mind that TB are designed for track use hence cold weather running and tractability both suffer in a road car, the ecu's are not as well developed as the units you will have as standard, perfectly fit for purpose just haven't had the same ammount of money spent on thier development. Omex vs Bosch :)

Personally I like them. But for the same money i would probably invest in a supercharger conversion :) and stick with the standard TB and manifold.

J.

Cheers mate

Only thing slightly concerning is that the 182 in question is advertised for what I feel is a cheap price. Could be a good buy but maybe hiding something.

Full jenvy ITB conversion with omex ECU by gdi on an 04 black 182 FF 45,000 miles for £6200 seems cheap :S

ITB'd MK1
I know the car you mean, nothing wrong with it when we did the conversion, the owner went away happy. I think the car just doesn't get used enough so he feels it's a waste

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Cheers mate

Only thing slightly concerning is that the 182 in question is advertised for what I feel is a cheap price. Could be a good buy but maybe hiding something.

Full jenvy ITB conversion with omex ECU by gdi on an 04 black 182 FF 45,000 miles for £6200 seems cheap :S

does seem very cheap that mate but it might be worth a look, maybe with someone who has experience with TB's - Could be a bargin there mate

I know the car you mean, nothing wrong with it when we did the conversion, the owner went away happy. I think the car just doesn't get used enough so he feels it's a waste

Cheers thats good to here mate. Just been checking out insurance on it and that is all dandy so I am going to try and contact the guy.

What are these like regarding servicing? as I assumr renault wont be too keen on it anymore :lol:

Seat Leon Cupra 290
you can try mine too, cheaper than that one..

servicing is no different from standard. renault would prob be confused by it though i would imagine!

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
TB's are generally very reliable and there is no reason that either of the conversions will give you plenty of enjoyment for you money.

GDi has a good rep from what i can see, the main area you want to look at are the inlet manifold, throttle linkage and wiring. Any problems will be pretty apparent.

Bear in mind that TB are designed for track use hence cold weather running and tractability both suffer in a road car, the ecu's are not as well developed as the units you will have as standard, perfectly fit for purpose just haven't had the same ammount of money spent on thier development. Omex vs Bosch :)

Personally I like them. But for the same money i would probably invest in a supercharger conversion :) and stick with the standard TB and manifold.

J.

Supercharger conversion is NOT an easy job at all to do a really good job..

as for the ECU and throttle bodies not being suitable for cold weather, that is totally wrong.

we set the ecu's up so that they have temperature and barometric (if you need it) compensation.. so when the weather gets cold or hotter they compensate in map for the conditions. The ECU's also run in closed loop, therefore trimming the fuel with the lambda sensor to achieve smooth running and good fuel economy.

throttle bodies if properly set up and mapped will run perfectly as a daily driver, most of out customers have one car and the bodies dont cause them any problems. They infact drive better than the std cars due to not having to be Euro 4 complient.

If anyone wants a test in a ITB car get in touch and it can be arranged.

Andy
Omex/GDI

Mk2 172

J.

Supercharger conversion is NOT an easy job at all to do a really good job..

as for the ECU and throttle bodies not being suitable for cold weather, that is totally wrong.

we set the ecu's up so that they have temperature and barometric (if you need it) compensation.. so when the weather gets cold or hotter they compensate in map for the conditions. The ECU's also run in closed loop, therefore trimming the fuel with the lambda sensor to achieve smooth running and good fuel economy.

throttle bodies if properly set up and mapped will run perfectly as a daily driver, most of out customers have one car and the bodies dont cause them any problems. They infact drive better than the std cars due to not having to be Euro 4 complient.

If anyone wants a test in a ITB car get in touch and it can be arranged.

Andy
Omex/GDI

Ill definately go with that. Ive got them and my car drives perfectly (thanks to andy) It drives massively better than the standard car and still returns approx 300 miles to a tank. It drives well in every condition too. Whether it be driving round town or at the nurburgring, it works!!! Simple as that :) best money ive spent

Been speaking to the owner and am going to arrange to go for a veiwing this week hopefully what should I be looking out for (genral clio stuff as well please)

Also what are the main benifits of the tb setup over standard in terms of how it drives and delivery etc

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
Gavin..

In real terms we could expalin the difference technically, but its worth having a drive IMO.. the difference is quite marked..

I ran my metro with bodies as a daily driver, performed mint!

As andy says, all depends who fit them and mapped them. That makes a huge difference.

Id love a passenger seeat ride in a bodied clio :)

Tempted for the conversion myself :)