ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just test drove a 182 Trophy...Renault Burnley

cup 182 mit stripes
Everything you say about the Trophy is spot on, Tom.

Pity it's such a Scheisse colour. lol

Now: 350Z; Before: Trophy
Calm down Trophy owners this was not a personal attack on the Trophy,as for you can either afford it or you cant the person who started the thread is looking at v6's so i think he can afford one.

Completely agree. V6 vs Trophy is another topic altogether, but 172 vs Trophy is not.

V6 vs Trophy is like WRX vs Evo: different things to different people and purel subjective. It is not like 172 vs. Trophy which is more akin to 996 C2 vs 996 C4S.

Although V6 is a two seater car... ;) The V6s also seem to hold their value well but to be honest I will not pass judgement as I don't know the facts.

There are a couple of Trophy owners with V6s - I wonder what they think? A real tough one.

Cheers
O.

It's very simple: you can either afford it or you can't. If someone has £12k to spend on a car I doubt they'd take a 172 over a Trophy. It is only because they can't comfortably afford the Trophy (as in having spare cash to buy and run it) that a justification is made to have a 172. At the end of the day there is not much to suggest a 172 cup is better than a Trophy. It is only a perception of money. If you can afford a Trophy you'd buy it over a 172. If you can't then you'd say that the Trophy isn't worth the extra money (i.e. you don't have the extra spare cash to spend, and if you did you can see it going to better things, i.e. you don't have a comfortable £12k just for a used car).

It's like saying that a 996 C2 is almost as good as a 996 C4S and the C4S isn't worth the extra £10k for a wide body, better brakes and 4WD. But if you've got the £10k spare you're going to buy the better car, aren't you? If on the other hand you have the £10k but it is a toss up to put down a deposit on a house versus no house and a C4S, well, then the C4S isn't worth the extra £10k. But if you can afford it you just buy the better car (C4S) and be done with it!

The argument can be applied to almost any more expensive model in the range, but those that can afford it buy the best. Evo 260? Yes if you can't afford a 340. BMW 325? Yes if you can't afford a 335. It is always the same - you can either afford the more expensive car or you just end up making a case for why it is 'not worth the extra'. Well, someone is going to buy it, becuase they can.

Sorry, it may look like I'm on a mission here... I don't want to come across as being a mean grumpy sod!!! :quiet::lolup: :evil: ;)

O.

I totally agree with all of that. If you have, or are prepared to pay the extra from 1*2 to Trophy you most likely would, apart from one point....the colour, some like it some don't.

For me personally, I did have the money and the choice, but chose the cheaper car and some off the mortgage, as I prefer the Monaco Blue over the caspian red. I totally understand the car, and would not slate it, because as g40steve said, 20 minutes is not enough to fully test the car, and that is what I had. Choices....without them life would be boring!

Cheers - I am happy the post didn't come across the wrong way.

At the end of the day it is the same thing for me. I really wanted a 996 when I bought the Trophy but I was in the middle of a house purchase. The 996 was out of reach, or 'not worth the extra money' (i.e. it has an opportunity cost).

However it is undoubtedly the better car, and if you can afford it there is no reason not to. At the time I couldn't, so I didn't.

As you say it is all about choices and priorities! :)

O.

Just saying if he is looking at V6's he can afford a Trophy,wasnt comparing Trophy with V6's.:)

Hehehe... I think I've contribute my years worth of personal opinion so I will keep quiet now. :quiet::quiet::quiet::quiet:

Also worth pointing out that the comment that got me going was the comment by fuel_slut - not the original poster of this thread who I know can buy the better car! :)

O.

Last edited:
blue. What are you, a man or a mortgage? lol

Your mortgage can fund your car; your car can't fund your house :) Plus, you'll struggle to finance your car cheaper than on the back of a mortgage...

Although when the mad market will slow down is anyones guess. Madness! :clown:

O.

cup 182 mit stripes
Are you saying you put the car loan on your house mortgage oliieh? Sounds a bit foolhardy and living for the moment. How you gonna pay for it when the interest rates shoot up, as they surely will?

Are you saying you put the car loan on your house mortgage oliieh? Sounds a bit foolhardy and living for the moment. How you gonna pay for it when the interest rates shoot up, as they surely will?

Who says my house is on mortgage? :) Assumptions my friend...

If you re-read my post you'll see that what I suggested was the cheapest way to finance your car if not paying outright...

O.

Lotus Elise 111R

If you re-read my post you'll see that what I suggested was the cheapest way to finance your car if not paying outright...

O.

O, I'm gonna agree with you again! Mortgage is the cheapest way to buy, as long as you do not borrow it over a longer term than the personal loan/finance would be over. In other words....you have to have financial common sense. Sadly alot of people do the borrowing, then trade the car in, borrow more even before the first one has been paid for.

Da

Less
iirc the 55plate Trophy belonged to a bloke who worked at Kitchens. Personally I would never buy anything from them, certainly not a car anyway! ;)

cup 182 mit stripes
I re-read your post oliieh, but found it so convoluted I now have a migraine and am lying down with a flannel over my face.

Clio 182 + Recaros
I could have brought a Trophy rather than a cupped 182 with Recaros. For me it was a case of I could afford the Trophy but couldn't live with a red car.

Still reasonably optimistic on re-sale when the Boxster S arrives.

I could have brought a Trophy rather than a cupped 182 with Recaros. For me it was a case of I could afford the Trophy but couldn't live with a red car.

Still reasonably optimistic on re-sale when the Boxster S arrives.

Fair enough although you don't see the colour when you're driving it... :)

The Boxsters seem to hold their value OK but the pre-facelifted 986s have really lost ground to the facelifted 986s and now seem to be sitting at less than 40% of the original purchase price. The smart money has to be on a 993, but then you don't have the opportunity for a warranty as you would a 996 on extended OPC warranty. It's a dilemma that is close to my heart :S

O.

O, I'm gonna agree with you again! Mortgage is the cheapest way to buy, as long as you do not borrow it over a longer term than the personal loan/finance would be over. In other words....you have to have financial common sense. Sadly alot of people do the borrowing, then trade the car in, borrow more even before the first one has been paid for.

Here is a post I put up on ClioTrophy a while ago for a fellow member.... It was about buying a new car or using the money for a deposit on a property...

Warning to j.jack: if you don't have codeine to-hand you'd better stop reading here! ;) I don't want to be responsible for the increase in wet flannel prices... ;)

=====
Firstly - you should be aiming to finance your car through your property if you are not buying it outright. I dread the thought of financing a car 'as-is'... what a bad investment of the money!

To do this, you need to get the equity into the property.

My advice is to put the money into the property and take the hit for a year. Next year have the property re-valued to assess the capital gain. Take this capital gain as a guarantee for the extra loan on the capital, but take it as an interest only loan. Providing the market remains buoyant, you're using the extra equity of the property to finance an interest only loan on your car - something you could not do ordinarily (i.e. personal loan). Needless to say this remains a negligible amount over 25 years and assuming the property will continue to appreciate thus giving you the car ‘for free’ (the opportunity cost being you don’t use the equity for another investment – e.g. a deposit on a another unit, buy-to-let for example). This is the hardest decision in my experience – deciding to use the extra equity for a car or as another deposit!

This method of positive gearing will help you leverage the value later on. The risk, of course, is that the property market starts to slow and you don't realise a capital gain on the property on which you were dependant on the re-finance for. I've seen this happen before and personally I know family members who have lost circa 10% on their property over a 20 year period to the current year (industrial property in Singapore). Nothing is ever for sure, but if you don't risk you won't gain.

As always you should speak to a financial adviser but I expect an opinion similar to this. You’ll also need to consider the terms and conditions of the lender: some lenders won’t release the equity unless you reach the end of the fixed term and re-mortgage (will vary depending on your chosen mortgage option and provider).

Happy investing
========

Cheers
O.

clio sport 172 cup
HCX was last bit of the reg, not sure if its anyones from here.

Either way my thoughts.

test drove it at 9:30

16500 miles, 2 owners, it was up for £10,995

It was in mint condition, did the usual checks and everything was ok, body work etc, engine seemed spanking.

Took it out for about 20 mins. Overall, nice car, it feels a lot stiffer than my cup, probably because of the suspension set up but i think also the age thing may come into it (mine feels looser - if that makes sense)

However performance wise it didnt really grab me. My cup has been remapped by Paul off here and the limiter raised to 7200. So when booting the trophy it was not a suprise to me that it just didnt seem as fast.

It has a years warrenty left on it. Granted i could buy it, de cat it like my cup, remap it like my cup and i suspect it will be faster (as the standards are on paper) but i am going to loose the warrenty if i do.

So overall, loved the car, if it was as fast as my cup or felt as beasty as my cup i would have snapped it up. but £5000 plus my car for what was little more than the recaros, A/c, and cruise control i didnt think deserved it.

Really want a v6......but have never test drove one.
hia mate who did you say done your remap,and how can i contact him!

Clio 182 + Recaros
Fair enough although you don't see the colour when you're driving it... :)

I knew you Trophy boys where using that line about the nasty rear seats, using it on the poor exterior colour now too!

If they produced the Trophy in Black I would have bought one.

I can cope with the rear seats as I'm never in the back of my own car, never really understood why Renault decided to make Trophys in Red. Apart from making them stand out.

255 V6 Black Gold
You only had it for 20 minutes, was it warmed up properly? They should rev to 7200 and if you couldn't then the oil wasn't up to temp, and the ECU was imposing a lowered rev limit. AFAIK the ECU also restricts the power output of the engine until properly warmed up. I don't know if the 172 is the same?

possibily

i dont boot my cup unless its at the usual halfway on temperature

this was so i presumed it would be the same...

255 V6 Black Gold
can i just point out to all those on here that have approached this from the COMPLETLY WRONG ANGLE (particulary)

It's very simple: you can either afford it or you can't. If someone has £12k to spend on a car I doubt they'd take a 172 over a Trophy. It is only because they can't comfortably afford the Trophy (as in having spare cash to buy and run it) that a justification is made to have a 172. At the end of the day there is not much to suggest a 172 cup is better than a Trophy. It is only a perception of money. If you can afford a Trophy you'd buy it over a 172. If you can't then you'd say that the Trophy isn't worth the extra money (i.e. you don't have the extra spare cash to spend, and if you did you can see it going to better things, i.e. you don't have a comfortable £12k just for a used car).

I could afford the trophy. I could afford to buy the trophy without even trading mine in. And run them both if i really wanted to.

WHat this topic was about, is that it didnt seem (from my all be it relativly short test drive) that it was a big enough "leap" upwards in speed, comfort, extras etc from my current cup.

Where as if i upgrade to a V6, then i get, speed, extra, looks, and just the fact its a v6.

I am sure (like i even said in my first post) that if i got the trophy and modded it like i have modded mine (Full Decat, induction and remap) then it would be better than my cup but i just couldnt justify it, as in i dont think it would still even be a bigger leap up.

MY last leap was a 1.2 billabong to the cup, cup to a trophy doesnt have the same ring to it....

Hence why i am looking at v6's

Megane 225 Cup | 106 GTi
Your obviously under the impression that a V6 is a whole load quicker than the Trophy?

I have news for you my friend

255 V6 Black Gold
top end motorway a v6 would beast a trophy all over.

to 60 it would as well.

But a v6 aint about that is it. Its the presance on the road, and how it looks, its a one of a kind car. Hence why i will be buying one!

255 V6 Black Gold
my post was meant to suggest that...

172 cup upgraded to Trophy will not equal the same sort of speed difference as

172 cup upgraded to V6 255

MKIII 138
what the hell are you lot on about are you just arguing for the sake of it.

if you like the fact its a trophy and rare and you can afford it then buy one, if you think its too much money or not much diffo to a cup then dont.

simple really.

an MRS is faster anyways lol

2 golf r32 engines?i havnt seen it yet

It is actually a mid mounted (exactly the same as the V6) 6 litre twin-turbo W12 sending out 641hp and 553lb of torque. In a Golf...! I think it will remain a concept but you never know if VW will tone it down a bit and slot a V6 instead into it. Could be interesting...

Here is the official VW pic:

gtiw12650_hi_04.jpg

Some more info including video footage: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/17/worthersee-2007-vw-shows-off-monster-golf-gti-w12-650-concept/

Sorry, hijacked.... :eek:

O.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
What I mean is that there are two 182s on this particular dealer's lot - a FF and a Trophy. There is a thread here about that very particular Trophy, but not the FF. My point was that, yes, they are similar in price but the Trophy is bound to sell first. The fact that there is a thread about it proves the point that it is more interesting. It is more likely the Trophy will take the limelight, and this links to its values and overall desirability.

I was backing up the argument that, yes, they are similarly priced but the more expensive Trophy with less standard specification will likely sell first as it is likely to generate more interest than the FF.

O.

I could have purchaced a Trophy when i sold my 172 Cup, but opted for a cupped 182 in Black Gold. The colour really put me off tbh, did nothing for me. Set of H&R's, job done on mine. I already have the recaros, only thing i now lack is the turinis. Its such a shame they came in this colour. If it was white though......... mmmmmmmmmm it would have been a different story :cool:

106 GTi
I was ready to chop my Black Gold in a soon as the realised the Trophy till I saw the colour.

On the subject of what a Trophy will be worth in a few years time, has anyone had a quote price to get the Sachs stuff refurbed when they wear out? Also H&R's v the Sachs stuff on track was mentioned earlier but even on the road a H&R'd 182 seemed to ride better and feel better damped.

Before I get flamed for being a Trophy hater yes they are the current Pinnacle of the Clio and still the Benchmark Hot Hatch, but why why why Red Renault ? (and btw I can see the colour of my bonnet when I drive my car)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I think Trophys are over priced. Just get a 182 for 7k and put coil overs on it.. there i said it. I cant see what your getting for the extre premimum you pay. I dont think they will handle much better than a cup'd 182.

Are you serious? either you are deranged or have not had enough experience in a variety of cars yet.... do you really think £10k is too much for a car that can show a 911 it's coat tails on a b-road?

Plus, yeh, pay £7k for a 182 cup, still coil-overs on it, paying what for them?... then come to sell it in say 2/3/4 years... you'll get maybe 3k back or you could buy a Trophy at £10k with about as good a suspension set-up as any sub £70k car has and sell it in 2/3/4 years and get maybe 6/7k back..... hmmn, did you study economics as well as automotive engineering?

This man speaketh the truth.

Only RS I'd consider, and I am actually.... But think I'll milk the DCI for a little longer and get a bike on the go before upgrading cars again.

I've never driven one, but the fact EVO tested it in the company of an M6 should tell you something.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
PS.

Considering it's the same engine, with a slightly different exhaust (and heavier) why did you expect it to be noticably quicker at all ??

I doubt you could do anything to a Cup (bar turning it into a track car) to keep up with a stock Trophy on a track.

MINI JCW
The old Evo thing, I have never read as much crap in my life as i read during that issue.

Look at it another way the M5 lapped top gears track in 1.26, 182 did it in 1.34 so lets knock half a sec off for the trophy (not that it would be half a sec quicker as it was slower round evos track than a 182 cup) but still.

So 7.5 secs slower a lap!! Wake up and smell the roses, the trophy is good but lets not get carried away

Mk2 172
the trophy is a bit better than the 182 cup but havin said that it depends whos driving! id challenge any trophy on a track! the only place it could ever possibly be faster is on the corners cos it definately isnt in a straight line. great car the trophy tho :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
It is so down to who's driving now dan.You've hit the nail on the head.
In the last 4-5 years its a little sad how little the clio sport marque has moved on .Its piss poor tbh.
Maybe they will shift the goalposts one day and do a turbo verson like a lot of competition are doing,but for me the clio hasnt shifted one bit since the clio 172 cup.Superb car

ian

106 GTi
At least it has moved on and at least stayed consistent with the 1*2's though when other past hot hatch masters have gone backwards.

172 Exclusive... For Sale
Guess it varies from car to car (in relation to difference between Cup and Trophy).

I test drove at Trophy at the same Burnley Kitchens, its far superior than my current Cup or any other Cliosport i'd driven. Maybe because i come from a Pug Rallye i noticed how the Trophy suspension was so superior to the 172 Cup one.