ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Killzone 2 IGN 9.4/10

Good score. I skim read it...is there likely to be a demo for this? For reasons I'd rather not go over again, I'd like to try before I buy :)

Citroen DS3 DSport
Demo should be released but possibly the day before the title is available to buy.

That's a good score.

Eurogamer awarded it 9/10 which is unusual for them when it comes to PS3 games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/killzone-2-review

gameplayer.com.au

Killzone 2 is a stunning game best suited for FPS aficionados, rabid graphics *****s, and all proud Ps3 owners in general. Guerrilla Games have stepped up to the plate and delivered very comparable results to “that preview video” that blew our collective minds in 2005. Using Guerrilla’s proprietary ‘deferred rendering engine’ Killzone 2 squeezes a lot more juice out of the Ps3 than anything we’ve seen thus far.

Despite scoring an ‘A -’ on voice acting and sorely lacking co-operative options, Killzone 2 bounces back with a very well realised competitive multiplayer mode. This icing on the cake successfully maintains the visual fidelity of the single player campaign, while including an addictive class/perk system that will keep Ps3 owners happily in ‘the kill zone’ for a long time to come.

In our opinion, Killzone 2 has managed to avoid becoming a victim of the hype, but we still think it’ll be bashed by the same narrow-minded naysayers all the same. To those people, we say: experience it first (play, not YouTube), express your amazement afterwards.

xm7lad.jpg

Last edited:
Despite my initial hatred of the PS3 sticks, I did find the FEAR 2 demo quite easy to control. Since this is a PS3 exclusive, I'm hoping I get along ok with the pad in this too...then it will probably be bought :approve:

I added you on psn last night roy specifically for this title so you better buy it ;)

LoL I'll log in later and accept. TBH though, with sticks, in an online shooter, I'm likely to last about 3 steps before getting gunned down repeatedly :mad:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
just loading the review on my crappy 512k connection at my parents house.... i reckon i'll be buying this just to shot Roy tbh.

SLK 350
Sounds great, glad it seemingly lives up to the hype. Now I wish they'd hurry up and release God of War 3 & Uncharted 2 - I'll never have to leave the house.

This is now only 29.99 at shopto.net or for the ubergeeks like me you can have it in a metal tin for £32.99

I mean a metal tin! How cool is that :eek:

Also £29.99 at Play.com. I'm tempted to pre-order but knowing my luck, if I do, I'll be out of the country working by then :(

Oh f**k it. I've pre-ordered the c-unit from Play. I'm not really happy about buying a shooter for sticks, but I've no choice in this case. From the gameplay videos I've seen in 'HD' today, I must concede that this game looks amazing, and I simply have to play it :approve:

Bumder With A Buffer
I was looking at this last night.. looks awesome.

Got a thing for these types of games lately after getting Resistance 2 dont suppose any of you lot got Resistance 1 you want to sell/lend me??!!

I think R1 is only a tenner mate at shopto.net

Used to love the one shot, one kill shotgun multiplayer on R1!

Octy VRS
Is it a team based game like COD? Looks nice but I can't be arsed with ordering other people about.

You can get Resistance 1 for peanuts now, especially used.

It's a great game, I traded mine ages ago.

Oh f**k it. I've pre-ordered the c-unit from Play. I'm not really happy about buying a shooter for sticks, but I've no choice in this case. From the gameplay videos I've seen in 'HD' today, I must concede that this game looks amazing, and I simply have to play it :approve:

Maybe now its worth Googling the real time ray tracing light streams - as I think it was this time last week you couldn't be arsed ;)

Bumder With A Buffer
I think R1 is only a tenner mate at shopto.net

Used to love the one shot, one kill shotgun multiplayer on R1!

Is it a team based game like COD? Looks nice but I can't be arsed with ordering other people about.

You can get Resistance 1 for peanuts now, especially used.

It's a great game, I traded mine ages ago.

Yeah I thought i saw it on amazon the other day.

whats that shopto place like?? Is it a foreign site or are they english games?? Not that it matters what region you get.

Maybe now its worth Googling the real time ray tracing light streams - as I think it was this time last week you couldn't be arsed ;)

I will later when I'm bored. AFAIK ray tracing requires completely different gfx technology that no currently available cards have, never mind any system that has the power to do it in real time at a decent fps, but I'll have a look later.

Reading up on this ray tracing in KZ2, it appears to be pretty much the usual Sony hype. It uses some version of ray tracing apparently, but definitely not full ray tracing like we see in movies such as Wall-E. A step in the right direction for sure, but typical Sony bullshit IMO.

Anyway the discussion which led to that IIRC was based on GT5 looking almost photo-realistic, which is does not. Not even close, and nor does Killzone 2. I love those buzz words, especially surrounding screen shots that are rendered at some stupidly high resolution on PC hardware. We are still a long way from photo-realism in games. Jesus, even movies that can take days to render a single frame still don't look 100% real.

This isn't a dig at KZ2, because it does look really good and I'm getting it, but I'm not silly enough to fall for the marketing hype. That said, the fact that it contains any kind of ray tracing at all is a good thing, and mostly down to the abilities of the cell processor from what I can gather. It just seems to me that whenever these marketing claims are splashed about, the words Sony are never far behind. They're bullshitters TBH :D

Yeah I thought i saw it on amazon the other day.

whats that shopto place like?? Is it a foreign site or are they english games?? Not that it matters what region you get.

Bracknell, Berkshire best place I have used.

I will later when I'm bored. AFAIK ray tracing requires completely different gfx technology that no currently available cards have, never mind any system that has the power to do it in real time at a decent fps, but I'll have a look later.

Maybe just maybe its not done on the graphics card;)

I never said it was lol and didn't compare it to wall e or say photo realistic but glad you took the time to find out :)

I never said it was lol and didn't compare it to wall e or say photo realistic but glad you took the time to find out :)

LOL :)

Well, the original ray tracing discussion was in a different context. It was in a discussion where GT5 was described as 'almost photo realistic' which is isn't. Games won't be phot-realistic with ray tracing at 60fps for quite some time, and certainly not on a PS3 roffle - PS10 perhaps, but even then the game will be delayed for 12 years - that was my only original point TBH.

Technically it appears that KZ2 does use some form of ray tracing-lite in some places though, which is a good thing, and technically means you win. Technically speaking I munsoned myself, but morally I munsoned you.

Technically it appears that KZ2 does use some form of ray tracing-lite in some places though, which is a good thing, and technically means you win. Technically speaking I munsoned myself, but morally I munsoned you.

Lol we'll leave it at a draw ;) Anyway back to the 9.4/10

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
it definately uses no form of raytracing whatsoever... it took 3 ps3's linked together to perform basic raytracing techniques on a single car model. still looks awesome though

Well demos can kill a game off as the gash that is re5 has shown but given this has already been reviewed by IGN I am hoping its good!

Citroen DS3 DSport
We'll know by tonight :)

One rumour concerning the demo which would be good if true:

Previously we reported that an insider at Sony got information on the Killzone 2 demo. This would be a surprise, and this surprise would be a multiplayer mode in the demo is. In addition half of the first level, the demo also include a multiplayer mode. However it was immediately rebutted by other sites, but our source continues to insist that it is. There is more info out about the demo. Click to read why we still think that a multiplayer mode in the demo is.

Besides that we fully trust our source, there is today so what more info on the demo brought out. Caution! This is also a rumor.

If the demo 1.2 gig in size. This is very big for half leveltje since the multiplayer beta but 400MB size. This could therefore mean that in addition to a singleplayer level multplayer also a demo of it. And of course Sony invalidated this rumor because they want to keep as a surprise.

Furthermore, the demo released today, and we can today to get started with this Dutch product. We are looking forward to Killzone 2, and certainly the sales of the game.

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport
The official Playstation forum is reporting that the demo will not have multiplayer options.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
looks excellent! do most buy it for the multiplayer or will you guys be giving the single a complete first?