ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

95' 16v
Re: My mk1 track car blog

Sorry to go backwards slightly but to fit the engine its just a case of using all 172 mounts (engine/gearbox and dogbone) or does anything on the car have to be modified? Then its just a case of sorting the fuelling/loom/managment and downpipe out?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

Sorry to go backwards slightly but to fit the engine its just a case of using all 172 mounts (engine/gearbox and dogbone) or does anything on the car have to be modified? Then its just a case of sorting the fuelling/loom/managment and downpipe out?

right i used a 172 engine mount, valver dogbone as it fits just right, and the 172 gearbox mount, however....................and bear with me while i explain this lol.......................

the bolt holes on the 172 gearbox mount to valver body all line up bar one (so i've heard) but when i was removing the valver engine the two bolts that go into the chassis leg snapped anyway:rolleyes: so for me it was and easy decision, all i did was drill out the snapped bolt and made the whole big enough to get an m10 bolt through, then for the one nearest the front of the car there is a handy hole on the under side of the chassis leg, meaning u can get a nut on the other end of the m10 bolt :) however on the one towards the back of the car there is no hole, so all i did was measure up and drill through the chassis from the wheel arch, making a hole big enough that i could get my fingers in with a nut, tightened them up and hey presto, solid as you like :D

well this weekend today is the only day i get to work on it :( but i was pleased with the progress, considering as soon as it gets dark i have to give up!

got my fuelling sorted, fse pressure regulator rigged up so that it runs inline, the inline connection to the right is for the gauge just in case you are wondering

DSC00383.jpg

i also started connecting the loom up, got most of it done, just need to sort alternator wiring and then a few other little bits, going to get my ecu sent of to rstuning to be unlocked etc, then i just need an alternator belt to fit, sort out rad and plumbing, connect a few wires and it should be time to turn the key for the first time :D

oh and also removed fog lamps from my front bumper and put that back on for now, and measured up exhaust diameter so that i can start on the downpipe

95' 16v

Ah i see- make sure you get some loctite on those bolts/nuts! Bet the cooling pipes etc will be a bit of a pain!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Good progress fella glad to see it coming along so well!!! You have my sympathy on the darkness issue I too am having that one, DAMN SEASON!!!!

yeh i will be going over everything before it see's its first trackday,making sure all bolts are tight and splash a bit of loctite here and there :D

few more prezzies arrived today

my omp gloves so i dont wear away the suede steering wheel with my sweaty hands lol

DSC00392.jpg

and an omp tow hook (not that i plan on being in the gravel or anything :eek: )

DSC00393.jpg

i also have it on good authority that city link should be delivering some carbon fibre today, will post some pics if and when they arrive :rolleyes:

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

dude sorry to be a t**t with copy'n the handles.... but where did you get that OMP toe hook from, cant find it LOL

dude sorry to be a tw*t with copy'n the handles.... but where did you get that OMP toe hook from, cant find it LOL

lol dont worry about it mate :D

ybracing (omp distributor) i have used them quite alot for the clio and for the 106 in the past, take your pick from these they stock

http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/YBR...ACINGQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ89270726QQsofpZ0

i was orginally going to get the flat style hook, but mounting it and getting it to stick far enough out of the bumper to be visible was going to be a farce :rolleyes:

have you got your handles yet from that shop?

Last edited:
  Mk1 RT + F7p + 172 Brakes

just read through this, good luck with everything mate, a very inspiring read keep us updated

cheers for the comments guys :D things seem to have slowed right down recently :(

i think its a combination of the weather, the time of year (xmas is killing my spending power lol) and waiting on parts. hopefully i will have my new brake lines this week, then im trying to book friday off work to get a load done. need to get my ecu sent off to rstuning aswell. i have heard talk of a xmas bonus at work aswell so that may come in handy :D

hopefully i will have some real updates and progress to report after this weekend

delivery man has just been......:clap:

will take some pics for you all at dinner, had a peek in the packaging, i spy carbon weave :D

here it is, been waiting a long time for this to arrive....

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00396.jpg

:cool: :evil: :race: :clap:

* i have just realised that he has drilled a hole for the window winder, but not one for the door handle, so i'll have to do that myself :rolleyes: any tips or tricks for cutting carbon fibre?

Last edited:
  GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup

very nice! u plz`d? r they from that company that u gave me the web address for?? how lomng did they take to arrive?

very nice! u plz`d? r they from that company that u gave me the web address for?? how lomng did they take to arrive?

yeh same company i sent to you mate :D

im very pleased with the quality of them, just need to line them up to the car to make sure they fit correctly, cant imagine why they wouldnt.

i ordered them around 25th october, got an email explaining that they were very busy but that i should expect them in 3 weeks. 3 weeks went by and i still hadnt heard anything, but i wasnt in any rush so i left it, got into december and i was itching for them so tried contacting the company, rung and emailed numerous times but got no reply, thoughts entered my head that the company had gone bust and that i was left out of pocket! eventually the guy did answer the phone and he was very apologetic, really sound guy and promised me they would be sent out that day (friday), they arrived today so i cant really complain at that :approve:

considering they do stuff like this...
prototype.jpg

i can appreciate that they were busy lol

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

there the same as mine i never got the handles cutout i used a small drill and drilled loads of holes then filed the edges smooth

right, this weekend i have been mostly crawling around on my back under the clio in sub zero temperatures :nono:

first thing i sorted was the aux belt, picked it up from a mate who works at andrew page, then fitted it in about 5 mins :D

then i fit my replacement n/s driveshaft as the nut on the other one wouldnt start as the end thread was damaged

then i made a start on the brakes, i'm not going to go into massive detail, but basically the carbone lorraine pads i bought are wrong, only realised when i tried to fit them, then spent a good hour cross referencing them against the carbone lorraine website which confirmed what i had feared :(

i did however get the front discs, front pipes and braided flexi's fitted. as you will notice the front pipes i got made were slightly too long, so i put some loops in there to sort it.

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

and then started on the pipes to the rear which i didnt quite get finished as it got very dark and i smashed my lamp. i contemplated removing the rear bias valve and using some adjustable valves, but then looking at the price of them i decided to stick with the original setup. hopefully 2moro i can finish the rears and end my new found hatred of fitting brake pipes (i used to hate it when using a ramp, so doing it on my back in the freezing cold has just made it worse! :dead: )

bring on the better weather and lighter nights!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

looking good dude, are you changing the master cylinder? ive looked into it, but fook knows which one to get LOL.

i want to fit an adjustable bias valve too.. again... god knows which one id go for ... ring tweeks for advice and they try and sell you the most expensive one on the market

ive just got in from outside... oh its soooo f**king cold, im in a garage though..... feel for ya dude.

my progress has dropped right off dude to the freezing temps !

i managed to finish off the spraying..... for some stupid f**king reason a few areas have reacted? sanded it down to the steel, re sprayed.... still f**king does it... wierd

ive got 5 layers on. wooly hat, fotball sock on my c**k.. and ive still got blue lips!

heres a few pics from tonight!

IMG_6292.jpg

IMG_6293.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg

IMG_6309.jpg

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

where you have coiled the lines.. could you not just slide the unions back, cut the pipe and flare them?

where you have coiled the lines.. could you not just slide the unions back, cut the pipe and flare them?

dont have a flaring tool :clown: had the pipes made up at a garage across from my work....a good 40 miles away from the car! lol

its no biggie, im sure ive seen some tuned cars with the same. i could get them cut and flared when it goes for its mot, but thats a long way off.

man i wish i had a garage! well i do, but its got another car in one side, and a load of the clio parts in the other, i really need to get some bits either sold or scrapped, then the clio can live in the garage.

ive left it on 2 axle stands tonight, will finish off 2moro morning and then put it back on its wheels.

Last edited:

looking good dude, are you changing the master cylinder? ive looked into it, but fook knows which one to get LOL.

i want to fit an adjustable bias valve too.. again... god knows which one id go for ... ring tweeks for advice and they try and sell you the most expensive one on the market

im sticking with the standard master cylinder as im using standard calipers, so should be fine, can soon change it if need be.

i cant seem to find a valve under £50!! god knows why they are so expensive! anyone shed any light? (hollister maybe? your rally car got one?)

well i dont think anyone can knock me for commitment on this bloody car :rolleyes: i was out there again last night!! :quiet:

this was my work area

DSC00405.jpg

removed all pipes from the bias control valve, then removed the unit itself as it looks like it might not have worked for years :rolleyes:

DSC00404.jpg

what you think? give it a clean up and see if its ok, or just whack a replacement one on there?

fit new brake pipes to rear calipers, then braided flexi's

DSC00412.jpg

and just to show how cold it was.... :dead:

DSC00413.jpg

DSC00414.jpg

and if only i could get the front this low all the time :evil:

DSC00410.jpg

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

looking good dude, id change that bias valve, whilst its off etc..

looking good dude, id change that bias valve, whilst its off etc..

yeh i was thinking that, moves freely enough, but i dont know how easy they are to source, i'm on with it now :)

I have read all your post :S

Very good work :)

cheers mate :D slow progress at the moment!

fcuk me its looks cold in them pics.

indeed it was, i thought it was cold on saturday when working on it, but last night took the biscuit!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

its crying out for a AP remote adjustment valve , ha

last night was very cold, i gave up at 7pm when the temp dropped to -2

i also sliced my finger on the subframes which helped me get inside... nice

its crying out for a AP remote adjustment valve , ha

last night was very cold, i gave up at 7pm when the temp dropped to -2

i also sliced my finger on the subframes which helped me get inside... nice

its crying out for me to stop spending so much money on it :nono: :clown:

those ap racing bias valves look the business, but i should think so for £130! how do you pipe them in, is it a case of running a Y piece between the two lines so that they run into one pipe, then split it again after the valve? look you've got me interested now!! damn you!:quiet:

ooh finger sounds nasty! i was giggling my little ass off last week, the guard plate has come off the grinder, so next door neighbour comes round to borrow it, last words to him were 'be careful as theres no guard plate on it'....... 5 mins later he comes back with a tea towel over his hand, sure enough he'd put a massive hole in his finger! naturally i offered my sympathies in my most caring voice..... 'told you so!' lol

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

lol at the grinder, i have a good chunk of battle scars
not sure how tghe valve works, im gona ring rally design today and get it ordered

right little bit of progress but not alot as xmas is a busy time of year :rolleyes:

after talking to people who had already done this conversion it seemed the only solution on the downpipe was to make your own. i had pretty much accepted this and was getting ready to buy some jetex exhaust sections to make my own downpipe, when a 172 cup decat popped up for sale on here. it looked about right for what i needed but i couldnt be sure, price was good so snapped it up. so the other day came the moment of truth, would it fit and save me a bit of hassle, or would i be selling it on and buying the jetex stuff after all?

result....

IT FITS
DSC00436.jpg

DSC00435.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

checked it for clearance on the arb and there is more than i expected, can easily get my hand in the gap thats left! onbviously i wont know if it knocks/bangs on anything until its being driven, but its looking promising :D