ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My NC2 Mazda MX5 Sport Tech

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Evening!

The QS went yesterday, after 3 years i fancied a change.

I've liked the idea of a soft top for a while, and was pretty much sold on a 3.0si Z4. Ended up test driving the Mazda on a whim as it was local and put a deposit down!

It's a facelift MK3 Sport Tech, which makes it a 2.0 with an LSD. It's pretty well equipped too, heated leather seats, voice activated Bluetooth, cruise control, Bose stereo - pretty much things you'd expect from a car nowadays but after the TT pretty much had 2 buckets and a steering wheel, I'm enjoying the little things. Oh, and cupholders!

I genuinely apologise for the iPhone pics, my brother has my SLR in the UAE currently.

9652919074372993ea1a39cabe991e8e.jpg

deca6751d6c50626aaab20cb11868fa2.jpg

Picked it up yesterday. Considering it's 80hp down from the TT, I'm having a right giggle with it! It's only 160hp, which is nothing nowadays, but since it weighs less than my Trophy did (iirc) it's plenty for now. It's really nice to be back in a N/A car too, plus the gearbox is absolutely spot on.

Cheers,
Luke.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I like this.

But you will need to work on some slight lowering and some slightly wider "stance". Much like @JoeyD has achieved with his.

Get to work Moyles!

PS. We need a catch up, and you and Sam can meet Babybear.

Haha, saw yours for sale on nutz Steve, it really is well sorted car... Hopefully Rodders can work some magic on mine in the near future.

Looks awesome Luke, makes me wish I went for a soft top as I still think they're better looking than the power hard top. Just make sure you keep it topped up with oil! They don't like to be run even slightly low.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Cheers gents, really enjoying it tbh.

@Steve are you g40steve over there? Looks immense if so. Remember your other NC thread on here.

@JoeyD cheers geez, yeah I really like the soft top. I've heard its best to keep them at max oil at all times

@Sir_Dave it is rather 4x4. Iirc (I'm sure Joey or Steve will clarify) they came higher as standard than in other countries, so I'll probably just look at sticking some Eibach 30mm springs on there and have a full geo setting done.

@Cub. 100% need to get something sorted, I'll drop you a text! Been way too long mate.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Cheers gents, really enjoying it tbh.

@Steve are you g40steve over there? Looks immense if so. Remember your other NC thread on here.
Yes either Steve or g40steve on every forum.
Save up & get a suspension kit as the springs are only cosmetic.

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Love it! Interesting, as I've currently got a QS and I'm thinking of making the same move. Although my QS is currently at 280bhp, and I'm concerned I'm going to miss the boost and power. Have been considering the BBR300 upgrade, but not sure if boosting an MX-5 will ruin it. Did you ever test drive the Z4 in the end?

Cracking cars - inderrated due to image problems. Beautiful balance but let down by lack of power. Had a phantom electric supercharger kit in mine which was absolutely kick ass. Kept mine 3 1/2 years and nothing broke despite track days/drift days and daily duties

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
@Somnambulist

Interesting mate.

I've owned the car for a week and can't really say I've missed the TT (which was standard - owned it for over 3 years).

Although it's down in power, at the moment I don't really care as its really not what the car is about. The car feels so light and agile after the TT, it's a totally different driving experience. It loves to rev too!

My old man has a Z4 3.0si which I've driven a fair few times (drove it today actually as was at my parents; he took the keys for the MX5). It's a superb car, but back to back against the MX5 it does feel quite heavy and far more of a cruiser. However, the engine is an absolute peach. Does lack the LSD though! As a side note, he loved the MX.

All I can say is drive both and see which you prefer dude. I finished work last night, dark and about 14 degrees. Roof down, heated seats on along the A339, which is an infamous twisty biker route around here. Best drive I've had in ages; not had as much fun in a car since my Trophy.

@roncee

Awesome mate, I bet that was a weapon! How did the MK3 handle boost, heard a few horror stories? Obviously well, going from what you said regarding reliability.

Even though it is down on power compared to the rivals I was looking at, I'm just loving having a naturally aspirated revvy car again. Roundabouts are also a giggle.

Cheers for the comments guys, will get some proper pics when I get my camera back.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Just remember don't take your foot off the gas or you can get into a tank slapper.
Mine runs rings round the trophy I had.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
@Somnambulist

Interesting mate.

I've owned the car for a week and can't really say I've missed the TT (which was standard - owned it for over 3 years).

Although it's down in power, at the moment I don't really care as its really not what the car is about. The car feels so light and agile after the TT, it's a totally different driving experience. It loves to rev too!

My old man has a Z4 3.0si which I've driven a fair few times (drove it today actually as was at my parents; he took the keys for the MX5). It's a superb car, but back to back against the MX5 it does feel quite heavy and far more of a cruiser. However, the engine is an absolute peach. Does lack the LSD though! As a side note, he loved the MX.

All I can say is drive both and see which you prefer dude. I finished work last night, dark and about 14 degrees. Roof down, heated seats on along the A339, which is an infamous twisty biker route around here. Best drive I've had in ages; not had as much fun in a car since my Trophy.

@roncee

Awesome mate, I bet that was a weapon! How did the MK3 handle boost, heard a few horror stories? Obviously well, going from what you said regarding reliability.

Even though it is down on power compared to the rivals I was looking at, I'm just loving having a naturally aspirated revvy car again. Roundabouts are also a giggle.

Cheers for the comments guys, will get some proper pics when I get my camera back.

Don't worry. The heart of the trophy lives on ;)

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Awesome, thanks for the feedback @Luke

I might have to give you a shout next time I'm passing Basingstoke for a passenger ride if you're free and don't mind! It's not that I'm bored of the QS, I love it and haven't even had it a year yet. But it's fairly low mileage, and I think I'll get best money for it if I sell before it hits 50K which it'll do in around 2-3 months. But I do get bored quickly and just crave to own different cars all the time. MX-5 is looking like a strong choice :smile: