ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My valver/172 project

'92 172, Lotus Elise
yeh geesus :)

the project is starting to get to me now :(

got the deadline looming and it still needs so many more bits to get it running :( :(

Reckon I still need:

172 downpipe - hopefully getting this tomorrow (and hopefully it'll include the lambdas!! but knowing how much i seem to have been stitched up on parts, it wont

idle control valve

crank position sensor (bought, but not sure when it will arrive)

vacuum tube for fuel rail

bracket made up to support the mk1 fuel rail

coolant temp sensor!! (why is this missing?!)

bit of pipe for one of the breathers (I think)

roll pin for the driveshaft (gave my last one away, I'm too kind ;))

2x adapters for the heater matrix (after the pipes were chopped, they're too small)

then I need to wire up the mk1 fan and get a fuel pump relay (it works atm, but on a constant live only)

I need to get my alternator charge light to work too

then things like guages etc would be nice

I need to find out why my aux belt is jumping 1 tooth towards the engine too

and ofcourse I need to see if this engine will actually work (or else Dan if you're reading this, I know where you live!!)

:(

'92 172, Lotus Elise
th_DSCF1319.jpg

M

mini-valver

Nice one on getting it running! Will it idle? Take is that puff of blue smoke was just oil in the head after the rebuild?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
yeh, i need to fit an ICV still :(

the battery is weak as fook and i dunno if the alternator is charging properly, so maybe it was just drained...

but im happy! :p

'92 172, Lotus Elise
:D :D

well chuffed with it!

I just need to find somewhere to make me a downpipe tomorrow and ill be ready! :)

the problem i had is there is an 'earth' which seems to have about 80k resistance on it? hadnt connected it to the engine... as soon as i did, it fired in to (asbo) life!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Beanie, could you give me a clue as to how to wire up the coolant temp guage and the rev counter (even if it only reads half for now?)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
plugged in my fan relay... and now my fuel pump primes! :p crazy thing!

I'm insured on it (172 and mods declared!)

I taxed it today (and declared it as a 1998cc)

It has MOT (even though its been rebuilt :D)

the coolant is in! (my hose adapters arrived)

all I need is my exhaust really, the a few little bugs to iron out, like a coolant fan and the idle control valve and a bracket for my fuel rail

tomorrows plan is the exhaust though...

Got a downpipe off a pug 405 which fits the 172 manifold!

DSCF1320.jpg

DSCF1321.jpg

but the fun will be cutting and welding it to fit my existing exhaust :(

progress! :D

VW Golf GT TDi 150ish
Good lad! How the hell did you find out that about the 405?!?!?!

Have you seen the forecast?! Need some thermals!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
that earth you were on about, towards the back of the engine is it? around the starter area ish?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
yeh (thermostat housing as it was easiest :p - need to move it somewhere more secure i think)

spent all day today running around trying to sort my exhaust...

cut and measured all the pieces myself under the car and got them welded up

DSCF1322.jpg

DSCF1323.jpg

DSCF1324.jpg

DSCF1325.jpg

looks brilliant, but the bend right after the flange is about an inch and a half too far away from the flange, so i need to chop a section out and get it welded to bring it closer ... it just hits the bulkhead atm :(

so close!! :(

172 Race Car
What bore size is it matt? Looks a tad small in the pics

You could use this one as a template now and go get yourself a nice stainless made up

'92 172, Lotus Elise
the 'old' looking bits are my old 16v exhaust.. so only 2" i think

not measured the new stuff, but it looks big! :p

but yeh, at some point i'll replace it with a bigger size

the fact im not running a mid box or cat should help though?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
th_idle.jpg

it's alive... sorta...

it runs but then after a while just dies :( - looks like its using oil too, but im not sure if thats cause the engien was completely dry before and the oil is still finding its way around?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
exhaust is on

i have gears

ive adjusted the clutch pedal so i can actually select gears... :D

problem i'm having is that the car will start and idle fine... occasionaly it might cut out... but restarting it is impossible :(

Im using a CTS out of a 1.6 as it looked the same :p - could this be causing issues, i've heard of this sort of problem being CTS related...

i reckon that could well be your problem

can you cross reference the part numbers and see of they are the same?

ive got my old cps sensor in the garage if you want to try that (i put the new one on thinking that was causing my starting problem)

give me the part number for it tho as ive mixed the valver one up with the 172 one :eek:

the connectors are different :p

ive not got any lambdas connected.. would that fox it?

the 2 black cps sensors i have both fit the same plug?! its the new blue style cps that has a different connector :S

i've only got the upstream lambda connected

oooo

i still need to post your crash switch!!

I completely forgot

no worries, in no rush

'92 172, Lotus Elise
i meant CTS as on the mk1s its been known to cause issues with bad idle and hot starts