ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Z3M Coupe

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
Made a couple of small bits of progress with the car recently.

Biggest job was refitting my cat as the decat was making my new cat-back system unbearably loud.

Whilst I was there I dropped the diff oil and replaced it with some quality Castrol 75w140 which was designed specifically for Z3 rear diffs apparently.
DSC00325.jpg

Ordered a new genuine S54 rear M badge as mine had faded massively.
DSC00326.jpg

Before:
DSC00327.jpg

After:
DSC00347.jpg

Another reasonably large job was colour coding my rear spoiler. It had always been on my to do list, and with the recent nice spell of weather i got the heat gun and aerosols out. Pretty pleased with the finish considering its a rattle can job and the Halfords lacquer I used is terrible (that's coming from someone who sells it every day).

Before:
DSC00254.jpg

After:
DSC00349.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

A couple of today's smaller jobs were tarting up the pitted ignition cover. The after picture doesn't do it justice, its worlds better than before;
Before:
DSC00341.jpg

After:
DSC00344.jpg

And finally, I borrowed a neighbours rotary polisher and had a go at cutting back the scratched and hazy headlamps;
Before:
DSC00250.jpg

After:
DSC00353.jpg

I've got a new oil level and intake air temperature sensor on the way as some new diagnostic software I bought flagged these up as throwing persistent errors. This should clear the warning light on my dash every time the car is started. The IAT sensor should hopefully give the car a big of power back as at the moment INPA tells me the ECU is seeing IAT as a constant 60degrees.

Cheers
Tom

Hi Tom,

Great thread, thanks for posting.

I need to do the same on my headlights, never done this before.

Going to buys rotary polisher off the bay, but wondered what type of head you used, and if you needed any chemicals or liquids specifically designed for job?

Thank you,

Hello mate, thanks for the kind words.

I used a regular waffle/foam polishing pad that came with the rotary machine, a few sheets of 1200/1500/2000 grit sand paper and my preferred cutting polish of choice (which is G3 scratch remover paste)

Meguiars have since brought out an excellent little kit which has everything you need to do the job including a mop attachment for a regular rotary drill. A friend has used this on his UV-damaged Clio headlights with some excellent results. I highly recommend it:

Shameless link to my employer's website.

Check the stock at your local branch, but you should be able to walk in and pick it straight up from the Meguiar's bay. Click the reserve and collect button to have one already put aside for you, or if your local store doesn't keep them in, use the order and collect function to have one sent to them for you to collect the next day.

Cheers
Tom

Yeh....so this arrived today:

DSC00445_zpsbe1f9649.jpg

DSC00447_zps60227e2f.jpg

Hoping to trial fit it over the weekend, order a filter for it after some measuring and then look into getting an Alpha-N map sorted.

Cannot wait to hear the noise this is going to make.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Lol at the difference! The inside looks beyond shocking would it really be the hard to sand them before binding both layers together.

what did BMW sting for the new badge?

e91 330d/type r mini
airbox looks awesome mate and will sound amazing, what make is it and where from?
i found my m3 great in the snow and never got stuck, mabye its the lsd that helps as my 330d is crap :(
question mr halfords manager, why the freaking hell dont your branch not sell fan belts anymore? i had to go to york road to get one,i know there branch is alot bigger but you have about 3 isles of mindless tat lol

airbox looks awesome mate and will sound amazing, what make is it and where from?
i found my m3 great in the snow and never got stuck, mabye its the lsd that helps as my 330d is crap :(
question mr halfords manager, why the freaking hell dont your branch not sell fan belts anymore? i had to go to york road to get one,i know there branch is alot bigger but you have about 3 isles of mindless tat lol

The airbox came from these people:
http://www.verbundfasertechnik-opit...on-ansaugsystem-für-bmw-porsche-mercedes-amg/

Really pleased with the quality of it, its certainly not on a par with the MAC boxes, but its obviously a professional job.

And sorry to say, but we have boxes full of drive belts behind the parts desk, they're just not on the shop floor! Did you ask anyone if we had them?

e91 330d/type r mini
The airbox came from these people:
http://www.verbundfasertechnik-opit...on-ansaugsystem-für-bmw-porsche-mercedes-amg/

Really pleased with the quality of it, its certainly not on a par with the MAC boxes, but its obviously a professional job.

And sorry to say, but we have boxes full of drive belts behind the parts desk, they're just not on the shop floor! Did you ask anyone if we had them?
Yeah I asked mate but just got told, sorry we no longer stock fan belts :-(
lovin the airbox mate

Got some final fitted pictures after spending the morning tidying the install up.

Replaced the vac hoses for the box with more expensive and sturdier silicone heater hose as I wasn't happy with some of the kinks and bends.
Fitted new airbox mounts underneath as the old ones split trying to remove them.

Perhaps the biggest modification was extending the wiring for the air temp sensor. On the original manifold this sits much near the block, yet on the carbon box it's right at the mouth so the original loom isn't long enough to reach. I really didn't want to cur the original loom up so did some head scratching.

​After a lot of googling I worked out the connector plug is a bosch EV1 type, most commonly used on fuel injectors, so I ordered a breeding pair and along with some twin core wire, made up an extension piece:
8635086568_b8dd480f7b_c.jpg

DSC00452web by topgeartom

Room for the air filter is VERY tight, so after lots of measuring ordered a K&N cone that met my dimensions, unfortunately when ordering, there weren't any in the country, so as a stop gap I removed the metal base from an old ITG JC65 cone and used it as a sock filter which actually fit and worked remarkably well.

The K&N finally arrived a few days ago and is obviously a bit sturdier so whilst the box was off I fit that and crossed my fingers everything would fit back in the limited space in the bay.

With everything connected and bolted up the fit is literally perfect, the end of the filter cone just about touches the rim of the cold air duct on the back of the headlamp - very pleased with that.

On a side note, since running the box I have used a full tank during my regular commute and potter to the shops, and after doing the maths it appears to be returning exactly the same mpg as before. Bonus.

8633979983_207e4d0a7a_c.jpg

DSC00457web by topgeartom

8633979941_3217d4befb_c.jpg

DSC00459web by topgeartom

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Tom, this is looking incredible. I popped into the shop the other day but you weren't about.

You'll have to give me a run out in it soon though - I'll drop you a text and see what your work schedule is seeing as though I live a minute away from there!

V6 255
Well it sounded good tonight, well when I backed off mine and could hear it ;)

You must live so close to me, seen you a few times round but I'm usually on a scenic (familymobile).

It was between a Z3MC and a V6 when I was choosing last summer. Awesome car