ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project #56; Clio Trophy

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Because you're being stubborn and want RWD, you won't charge the trophy so that only leaves RWDing it.

itll still go... It'll just go a little more sideways :eek:

unless that was a typo and it was meant to be good... Then, it'll be better with RWD because, erm, RWD clio>fwd clio. V6 anyone? :rasp:

I'll bet you £1,000,000 + VAT that he doesn't. E30 for Jon.

Probably. I'll wait as long as I want for the right one to come up. 325is, Diamondschwartz/alpine white/dophin grey for the base. Then I've got a few ideas for getting it right, but I want the right base car and it has to be as mint as possible.

If nothings coming up, I'll probably just end up in a e36 328is or a e87 130i :eek:

Megane R26
I purchased mine second hand from RenParts, may have a go at taking it apart again and clocking the squib to see if that helps at all if not it shall be a trip to the garage to get it calibrated.

I purchased mine second hand from RenParts, may have a go at taking it apart again and clocking the squib to see if that helps at all if not it shall be a trip to the garage to get it calibrated.

Why, whats up with it? If its not right you should have sent it back as you get a 3month warranty with it. Just make sure you are aligning everything correctly.

Lovely car, mate.

Cheers mate, I assume you're away at uni now.

Megane R26
Why, whats up with it? If its not right you should have sent it back as you get a 3month warranty with it. Just make sure you are aligning everything correctly.

Bit of a long story really basically I had my airbag light on for a few months got the car plugged in and found out it was a faulty squib so ordered one from RenParts (service was great), fitted this the week before my MOT and it appeared to sort it, car passed the MOT fine with no lights on however driving home from the MOT the airbag light came back on and the following day the ESP and SERV lights both appeared. The car has remained like this for several months now but i feel with winter fast approaching I should get it sorted.

205 GTI, Clio 182
Jon, just finished reading your thread. Did you end up solving the knocking issue? Also, how much was the steering rack, and how much did it improve things? My steering rack seems to be a likely culprit in a severe knock I have - it feels very grindy, shudders at a standstill, and feels a bit tired.

Bit of a long story really basically I had my airbag light on for a few months got the car plugged in and found out it was a faulty squib so ordered one from RenParts (service was great), fitted this the week before my MOT and it appeared to sort it, car passed the MOT fine with no lights on however driving home from the MOT the airbag light came back on and the following day the ESP and SERV lights both appeared. The car has remained like this for several months now but i feel with winter fast approaching I should get it sorted.

Hmm, seems strange. My airbag light had come on as well, intermittently, but when it was plugged into a CLIP it came up as passenger side seat wiring. I had a little fiddle with them and never came back. Could of obviously been related to the squib though. Get it to someone with a CLIP, IE Mick and Diamond motors,he knows what hes doing.

Jon, just finished reading your thread. Did you end up solving the knocking issue? Also, how much was the steering rack, and how much did it improve things? My steering rack seems to be a likely culprit in a severe knock I have - it feels very grindy, shudders at a standstill, and feels a bit tired.

Yep, all fixed now. I got it for a very cheap price, thats all I'll say. They're £360ish + your old rack for service exchange at Renault. Improved things quite a bit, everything is much sharper and tighter now. I guess it helps that practically everything on the front end of the car has been replaced.

How/When does it feel bad? Mine had worn due to a failing PAS pump no giving enough fluid to the rack. I had the PAS Pump replaced when I had the head work done and was just on the lookout for a new rack and this one popped up. It wasn't really causing major issues, I just wanted it doing.

205 GTI, Clio 182
How/When does it feel bad? Mine had worn due to a failing PAS pump no giving enough fluid to the rack. I had the PAS Pump replaced when I had the head work done and was just on the lookout for a new rack and this one popped up. It wasn't really causing major issues, I just wanted it doing.
I did up a huge thread on the Australian RS forums, but basically the symptoms are as follows:

• Occurs when braking, then again when taking off almost 100% of the time. It occurs in two's. So if it didn't happen under braking, then it doesn't happen under acceleration.
  • Occurs over bumps occasionally
  • Can be reproduced when turning the wheel when parked and stationary
  • Steering does feel a bit off.
What I've checked:
  • Top mounts - they are solid Pure Motorsport items. They are tightened very well. The knock is coming from lower anyway
  • Wishbones and lower ball-joint. I've checked these are tight and no play. I've just replaced them anyway - they are brand new
  • Track rod ends - these are tight. I'm not sure if they are free from play, but they do rotate about 1 degree about their length axis. I think that is normal judging from other cars I've worked on.
  • Anti roll bar bushes. They are tight, and good condition. Can't see it being them.
  • Engine and gearbox mounts. New VibraTechnics mounts put in 2000km ago
I'm really lost as to what it could be. Everything feels very tight about the suspension. I am beginning to think it could be the steering rack because of the fact it occurs when turning the wheel at stationary. But that doesn't explain the fact it occurs when taking off and when braking. So possibly a upper gearbox mount?

I did up a huge thread on the Australian RS forums, but basically the symptoms are as follows:

• Occurs when braking, then again when taking off almost 100% of the time. It occurs in two's. So if it didn't happen under braking, then it doesn't happen under acceleration.
  • Occurs over bumps occasionally
  • Can be reproduced when turning the wheel when parked and stationary
  • Steering does feel a bit off.
What I've checked:
  • Top mounts - they are solid Pure Motorsport items. They are tightened very well. The knock is coming from lower anyway
  • Wishbones and lower ball-joint. I've checked these are tight and no play. I've just replaced them anyway - they are brand new
  • Track rod ends - these are tight. I'm not sure if they are free from play, but they do rotate about 1 degree about their length axis. I think that is normal judging from other cars I've worked on.
  • Anti roll bar bushes. They are tight, and good condition. Can't see it being them.
  • Engine and gearbox mounts. New VibraTechnics mounts put in 2000km ago
I'm really lost as to what it could be. Everything feels very tight about the suspension. I am beginning to think it could be the steering rack because of the fact it occurs when turning the wheel at stationary. But that doesn't explain the fact it occurs when taking off and when braking. So possibly a upper gearbox mount?

I had exactly that and its gone now. You could always try new inner tie rods as the play can sometimes be in those.

With you saying about 'taking off' how do you mean? Do you mean accelerating hard, if so I would seriously look at the lower gearbox mount (dogbone) as this is the cause of that type of knock most of the time. If you mean just braking and releasing the brake pedal I would be inclined to look at the TRE's, Calliper carrier and the brake pads/shims.

You could replace the upper GB mount, if you haven't done so. Mine seemed fine, but when I changed it, it was shot! It had actually exploded.

You can see that here:

IMG_1070.jpg

Last edited:
  205 GTI, Clio 182
Good calls. I looked at your video of the steering rack play, and mine is different, It's more of a... twangy knock. And it only occurs with the left wheel on the ground. All my mounts are replaced with uprated polybush ones (or Vibratechnics). Lower dogbone, upper gearbox, upper engine.

If anyone is interested in this car, let me know.

I've ordered new plates to put it back onto its original registration as I genuinely cannot drive it anymore. Due to a recent medical condition I'm in need of an automatic. The advert will be going up as soon as I send the paperwork off to put my current plate onto retention.

I'll be sad to see it go, but I was always going to sell it come early next year. I just wont drive it now because I physically cannot.

The car is still on the road, so anyone wishing to come see it can still test drive it, with proof of insurance.

RenaultSport 182FF
If anyone is interested in this car, let me know.

I've ordered new plates to put it back onto its original registration as I genuinely cannot drive it anymore. Due to a recent medical condition I'm in need of an automatic. The advert will be going up as soon as I send the paperwork off to put my current plate onto retention.

I'll be sad to see it go, but I was always going to sell it come early next year. I just wont drive it now because I physically cannot.

The car is still on the road, so anyone wishing to come see it can still test drive it, with proof of insurance.

Sorry to hear that mate, all the best :)

Hopefully it will go to a forum user that will look after it mind :approve: I would have loved to have had this car say a few months back, I went and bought the blue FF though :(

Will you be attending CS Saturday 2013?

Andrew

Yeah, most probably. No idea what car I'd be in though. Before this, I was going for an E30 325i. However my needs have changed, so I'm either going to get a sub 1k auto until I can drive a manual again, or get a epic auto barge to waft around in.

I shall see what the new year brings. I've had an awful year.

Car is now up for sale.

Details
  • RS Clio Trophy, First registered on 7/7/2005.
  • Number 56 of 500 UK models.
  • 2 previous long-term owners.
  • Tax & MOT until 31/5/2012
  • Current Mileage – 104,380
  • 2 original keys and all original handbooks
  • £4,200 ONO

I've cherised No.56 since I bought it in June '11. I have a comprehensive service history to pack up ALL the work that the previous owner and I have carried out. Unfortunately the time has come to sell due to medical conditions. I would consider a part-ex on a automatic car.

I can either be contact via PM, jag1989@gmail.com or on 07927345606 after 6PM, Thanks.

Service Intervals
  • 7/4/2006 – 11,986
  • 15/11/2006 – 25,547
  • 24/1/2007 – 35,445 – Aux Belt Service
  • 29/12/2007 – 48,294
  • 4/9/2008 – 59,847
  • 27/2/2009 – 66,476 - Timing Belt and Aux Belt Service
  • 3/8/2009 – 72,642
  • 6/4/2010 – 82,100
  • 4/8/2011 – 93,797
  • 3/2/2012 – 97,798 – Timing Belt, Aux Belt and Tensioners, Dephaser (VVT), Coolant, Oil Service, PAS Pump, PAS flange and Spark plugs

Additional Replacement parts
  • 1/3/2012 Front SACHS dampers rebuilt by BG Motorsport, including a new piston rod, seals, un-pinning allowing for full damper adjustment.
  • 28/9/2012 – Brand new genuine steering rack fitted by Birchdown, with new bushes, tie rods and track rod ends
  • Brand new original steering wheel. No melting.
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 3's all round, 6mm

Modifications
  • I have left the car as standard as possible and replaced original parts as and when they were necessary, however in the process somethings were upgraded.
  • Brand new Scorpion RS192 cat-back exhaust system
  • Inner and outer ARB Polybushes
  • StreamlineCarbon steering wheel thumbgrips
  • Brembo HC Front Discs with Ferodo DS2500 (Larger 565H version)
  • RSTuner '98 ron' Remap
  • RenaultSport engine cover
  • TPI Polarised wheel bolts + locking bolts + 4 spare none locking
  • RS200 Badge

Bad Points
  • This Trophy hides its mileage very well, however there are a few exceptions:
  • Front bumper has a few large stone chips and a scuff on the drivers side which has been slightly repaired.
  • Faded Trophy door handles
  • All alloys have some marks on them, 2 worse than others.
  • Small tear in drivers side Recaro. About 1.5inches long in the leather, hasn't torn through to the foam.

Good Points
  • Full jack kit and two cans of tyre sealant
  • Timing Belt doesn't need doing until 2017, Aux belt not due till 2015.
  • Front brake discs and pads changed recently
  • The all important dampers have been rebuilt, rust treated, re-painted and sealed with wax.
  • Car comes with all the usual Trophy extras such as V6 spoiler, lightweight Speedline Turinis, Recaro Trendlines and exclusive Capsicum Red paintwork.
  • I have looked after this as best as possible and detail it regularly with high-end detailing products.
  • Headlights have no UV crazing
  • Steering wheel has no melting which is very rare on Clios.
  • Brand new steering rack and polybushed ARB make the front end extremely responsive and amazing to drive.

The car is currently on a cherished plate, however this will be removed before the new owner takes delivery. I have new plates to go on when the transfer is complete.

8015958331_0771311897_z.jpg

8239304782_b61be4c1f0_z.jpg

8239303760_47fc2526e7_z.jpg

8239302406_8526f2b85e_z.jpg

8238233689_9087286779_z.jpg

8239300140_fab2bb41fc_z.jpg

8238231567_0716876859_z.jpg

8238250447_b965716cc8_z.jpg

8015958749_5194abc11b_z.jpg

8238249153_6653162650_z.jpg

8239314968_8042a86b10_z.jpg

8239313268_99f96c0aa2_z.jpg

8238230515_80741c96f3_z.jpg

8238229085_f1263c86ab_z.jpg

8238224781_165deae033_z.jpg

8239281396_3a713e6ce4_z.jpg

More photos here

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
:( gutted for you mate! If only this was this time next year.

Good look with the sale and i hope your condition gets better!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Sorry to hear about your situation mate.

Looks amazing!