ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

r26 progress thread.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
On the way to get my new tyres this morning I got an average of 38mpg, about 65 miles and was on CC at about 54mph

:) ecu run ftw

DK surely on a decent run you must be able to get over the 30 mark??? I can sit at 70, 6th, CC on and get 30's all day long. Edged to 35 on the run down from the Lakes on Sunday evening . . .

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
This worries me a little. at 80 on the motorway I can get around 35 - 37 mpg in the cup, and that's not being particular careful. The only reason I wanna change is because I find the cup pretty tiring to drive on the motorway! What are your guys views on golf gti's. lbrench, didn't you say you had test driven one?

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Yea I have I test drive the edition 30, quick but soooooooooo boring to drive, get an r26, honestly if u sit at 80 on and off the throttle u will get above 30mpg easily! Dk was on stage 2 I think, which is a High performance modification.

And the golf is so common

172 Cup
Yea I have I test drive the edition 30, quick but soooooooooo boring to drive, get an r26, honestly if u sit at 80 on and off the throttle u will get above 30mpg easily! Dk was on stage 2 I think, which is a High performance modification.

Reason why it is common is because it is better. Ed 30 is awesome.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Behave, the edition 30 is superb.

The megane is poorly built, a dreadful place to be, full of rattles, the position of the recaros is far from perfect, the plastics alround feel like an MG, the steering wheel poor, one of the worst gearboxes I have been unfortunate enough to drive. The ride is choppy... need I go on....

Granted as a B road toy is great, but its the other 90% of the time it is just not good enough.

Also I predict there current decline in value is going to continue for sometime.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Yes the edition 30 is great as a day to day work and back car but no fun at all, ask sir dave on here I do believe he had one for about 18 months and he agrees it is a boring drive. Look in my started threads I did a quick review on it

Lynden

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Sorry, but your flat out wrong. The golf gti is a belter of a car. The only meg that is better to drive is the r26, the golf is a better car, and a better hot hatch than all the other megs.
As an overall car the golf (especially in ed30 guise) is just a better car than all the megs, fact.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
But it's so boring to drive, example: I took the edition 30 out on a 15-20 min drive round the country lanes near the dealership which I know very well. Didn't make me smile once! I then took the Clio down the same road and I was laughing my head off with a big grin, yes the Gti is briliantly built, has bags of power and comfy but it's so boring to drive, has no character!!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
No doubt the Clio/meg are more fun. But to say the golf is a boring drive? It's not, you can't argue! Magazines are by no means definitive. But there was universal praise for the golf gti, and for the r26.
Why? Because they are both awesome. Standard gti is a great drive, has an awesome driving position and cabin, a good engine (better than a standard r26).
But then who am I, and the nations motoring writers, to argue with a sub-20yr old expert;).

Oh, and please, for gods f**king sake don't ruin your car with one of those ridiculous splitters! Looks awful on his trophy imo, like it ran over a plank!!!!

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
No doubt the Clio/meg are more fun. But to say the golf is a boring drive? It's not, you can't argue! Magazines are by no means definitive. But there was universal praise for the golf gti, and for the r26.
Why? Because they are both awesome. Standard gti is a great drive, has an awesome driving position and cabin, a good engine (better than a standard r26).
But then who am I, and the nations motoring writers, to argue with a sub-20yr old expert;).

Oh, and please, for gods f**king sake don't ruin your car with one of those ridiculous splitters! Looks awful on his trophy imo, like it ran over a plank!!!!

That was just my opinion yes it's a very nice interior I even think my mates 1.4tsi has a better inside than the megane but i didn't excite me at all, on the other hand my step dad has a gt tdi which is heavily moddified and he said the megane bores him so it's all opinion at the end of the day, and that splitter can be moved further under the Car so it won't stick out a much. But I'm gona wait to see if I can get a carbon cupra r one first tbh

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Had 2 Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetrics fitted today. Can't believe how much differnce it has made, the steering feels so much more responsive and intouch with the road, I was on nexen n6000 which are positivly shite, probibly the worst tyres I have ever used, I've had the goodyears on the front and going to change the rears when funds allow. The megane is very tail happy now though but its manageable and not too snappy. Can't reccomend these tyres enough. Just wish this country was hotter so I could run r888s daily!

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
a garage near me had 2 in stock and gave me a ring with the offer.

after alot of people told me horror stories of sealed cold air feeds at the bottom of bumpers sucking up water and getting water in the engine so i have unsealed it at the air box so its not acting like a hoover and ive shortened the standard intake pipe.

35977_10150232451010293_582855292_14040589_1696824_n.jpg

also gave my ktec panel filter a clean and accidently ripped my splitter off so just waiting to have a few house spare to fit it again.

lynden

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
had a lot of scratches on my boot so took it round to my mates for him to sort them out, i also fitted some harnesses in his 197 for him.
his 197 is immaculate.

preping my car
40030_10150233193650293_582855292_14061729_3917782_n.jpg

he used an orbital polisher with G2 cutting agent (i think) then G10 finishing compound then used that dodo wax that come sin the wooden tu. cant even see them any more, looks awesome!
40039_10150233192400293_582855292_14061694_4405929_n.jpg

also refitted the cupra r splitter, 18 self taping screws lol shouldnt come off again i think :approve:

his 197 is really nice and handles really well.
mods he has done are
forged pistons and rods
cams
live map
panel filter
carbon bonnet
kw v3's
R26 wheels
full miltek exhaust with decat
hes talking about charging it aswell.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
also tottally destickerd the boot, only sticker on there now is the norfbest one that is where the renaulsport normally goes

320d
had a lot of scratches on my boot so took it round to my mates for him to sort them out, i also fitted some harnesses in his 197 for him.
his 197 is immaculate.

preping my car
View attachment 42200

he used an orbital polisher with G2 cutting agent (i think) then G10 finishing compound then used that dodo wax that come sin the wooden tu. cant even see them any more, looks awesome!
View attachment 42201

also refitted the cupra r splitter, 18 self taping screws lol shouldnt come off again i think :approve:

his 197 is really nice and handles really well.
mods he has done are
forged pistons and rods
cams
live map
panel filter
carbon bonnet
kw v3's
R26 wheels
full miltek exhaust with decat
hes talking about charging it aswell.

What sort of power is the 197 throwing out then? Must be quick with that amount of work done!

Black 172
no mate, it lived up the road from me and the owner was tidy, they have a new megane sport now and a Caterham.

They always kept it very clean.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
so i was bored with the look of the all black megane so i was going to spray the badges but decided i wanted something abit differnt.

did the engine cover, battery cover, rear and front diamonds and side bullter.

pics y0
45655_10150237361975293_582855292_14185994_4651327_n.jpg

41278_10150237097595293_582855292_14178633_7955502_n.jpg

39821_10150237228545293_582855292_14182157_5931237_n.jpg

full picture of the car
46050_10150237362145293_582855292_14186000_4104913_n.jpg

and as jason said
haters1.jpg

and
23558_540.jpg

lynden