ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Red Flagged Clio 172: Please Read

Black 172
Hi guys, my beloved 172 was recently reposessed due to the previous buyer having an outstanding loan which he did not repay with Log Book Loans. This reposession was unlawful and I have filed both Civil and Criminal law suits regarding this car and it's reposession.

Due to the dispicable nature of these loan companies, there is a good chance that this car will be auctioned off soon, so should you see it, I would advise not to buy as ownership is being contested in the courts, and the legality of the sale is extremely dubious due to the circumstances.

The car is a 2002 Renault Clio 172 in Black.

The registration is: DE02 UAY

As an aside, I would avoid Log Book Loans at all costs, they are a terrible outfit to deal with and it would seem that they intend on reposessing every car they loan upon.

Thanks all for reading!

R35 GTR
I didnt think you had a leg to stand on if you bought a car financed by someone else. Good luck anyway dude.

I may be being dumb but....

As it is a 'loan' did it not show on an HPI check?

If the logbook was in your name how did they actually take posession of the car from you?

Not helpful i know, but just curious

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
sorry to say it mate but they are in every right to take the car,
its partly your fault for not checking it all out.

good luck anyway

If i buy it from someware and the HPI is clear, there is no way on this earth you will get it back from me.

I dont see why you are saying someone shouldnt buy the car you lost, as you failed to HPI it yourself.

Black 172
I had a HPI check done by a friend who works for a car leasing company, as they have access to the database; it didn't show up. It's no use as evidence anyway as it is illegal to do that (as I have subsequently found out).

I did save £30 on the check though! Shame I lost £5,000 on the car...

With regards to my case, the loans company is well known for malpractice and loan shark behaviour (enourmous false charges resulting in reposessions etc) and is currently dealing with several similar law suits. On top of that the Debt Collection agency took my car without nearly enough authority, so a similar case is being brought against them.

Please learn from my expensive mistake!

Of course any helpful information regarding my situation would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks guys.

Edit: In response to Dan07, I am not saying someone shouldn't buy the car, I am just warning of possible complications due to the grey areas of the law regarding ownership I have recently discovered.

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I think someone should HPI it now and see what it says, as long as you had the receipt, keys logbook and it's in your name don't see how they could take it.

Black 172
Ironically, I have since forked out for a HPI check with the AA. I am still the registered owner, but there is a lien on the car with Log Book Loans. It is described on the check as a Lease agreement.

I should also have personal recourse against the guy who sold it to be, as legally a leased car cannot be sold by the lessor as he/she does not own the car. Now I just have to find the b*****d...

Hmmmm.... I would not have let them take it at all. I would have called the cops straight away. If the HPI check shows no loan on the car, and it is in your name then they have no right to the car. They can't just turn up unannounced and take the car - they need to go through the original owner.

On a brighter note... if a HPI check shows that there is no outstanding finance on the car, you are covered up to some ridiculous amount like £100,000. If the loan isnt registered to the car, again call the rozzers and report your car as stolen - the loan guys have nothing to do with you.

Can't believe there's a***holes around like this.

Still, that car would not have left my drive... not without a fight, a court order, and a copper on site!!!

Black 172
Amen to that Stu. If I had known what I know now (and had been a little more awake) there's no chance in hell my car would have been gone anywhere.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Did you buy the car directly off the previous keeper in question or from a garage/auction??

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Why don't you just go back round his house????

I would, and punch his teeth straight down his throat.

just goes to show how invaluable a PROPER HPI check is!

best 20 quid iv spent! in fact the first 2 cars i only had to ask the people for the VIN numbers etc and they both said ill tell u know i have finance on it! ---- seeing you later!!!

therefor out of 3 cars i only had to check 1 car becuase the threat of hpi made 2 people own up!!!!

53 Clio's & counting
bad luck matey,though i will clear one thing up,i had a word with a friend in the CID and apparently even though your name is on the log book that does not prove you legally own the vehicle,the company in theory will have legal paperwork saying the item/s bought is there's wholely,until the loan is fully paid off,i know my loan paperwork did,it gets very complicated

Mini Cooper S sport
I had a HPI check done by a friend who works for a car leasing company, as they have access to the database; it didn't show up. It's no use as evidence anyway as it is illegal to do that (as I have subsequently found out).

I did save £30 on the check though! Shame I lost £5,000 on the car...

How come it didn't show up when your mate did it, but on the HPI check you've done since, it does?

Very unlucky anyway, harsh lesson learned.

Tangoed Works
I dont think these log book loan companies are actually linked to any database. Its like a third party arrangement. Someone can take a loan on a car (via logbook loans), and then sell on to someone else.

They get two lots of cash and the new owner deals with the problem. Govt should introduce a law to regulate these logbook loan companies and make them link to whatever database these normal finance companies do.

Black 172
How come it didn't show up when your mate did it, but on the HPI check you've done since, it does?

Very unlucky anyway, harsh lesson learned.

I have no idea really. I assumed that his company would have full access to the database as it was a car leasing company itself (albeit a reputable one). I guess there are no shortcuts for the check, just get a proper one done.

Black 172
Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way of finding the previous owner they would be much appreciated!

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Did you go to his house to buy it? Did you keep his number? what area was it? whats the name on the logbook of the previous owner?

Holy...

http://www.logbookloans.co.uk/

Looks dodgy as hell but I assume it must be legal, 336.6% APR?!

As you've already said, no doubting a proper HPI check done by the potential owner is worth its money in gold (they usually come with hefty insurance), I'm surprised this never flagged up on your 'unofficial' check as it's clearly a loan secured on the car.

Black 172
Did you go to his house to buy it? Did you keep his number? what area was it? whats the name on the logbook of the previous owner?

I have his name and address, and his telephone number (which he isn't answering).

This is information is nearly a year old though (he bought it in September 2006) so it can't be trusted now.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
well pop around the house knock the door take someone with you though.
ask if he still lives there etc
Where abouts in bristol mate?

holy crap batman 336.6% ... surely not

i dont think i will ever get over the shock of reading that

336.6 % lol yeah if on elesson from this get a proper hpi check done lik ei said just the threat of gettng on eforced 2 people to tell me they had finance on clios so i only had to pay for one hpi check to do 3 cars!!!

Black 172
well pop around the house knock the door take someone with you though.
ask if he still lives there etc
Where abouts in bristol mate?

He lives in St. Helens near Liverpool unforuntately, or so it says on the logbook. If he were in Bristol this would already be resolved if you catch my drift.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
My cars are always garaged and they would not get past my double thick garage doors to even look at the car.Hate these tossers.Why cant they leave the car with you until its all sorted out

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
My house mate was about to buy a car last week and I asked him if he had done a HPI check. He said 'whats a HPI check' lol. We went on the tinter web and did a HPI check and the car came back as a CAT D!!!!!!!!!

My house mate learn't a lesson that day, incidently he also crashed his car that day to! lol Some people have the wors luck.

Anyway, im sure you have also learn't a big lesson and good luck with getting it back sounds like a right mess.

Black 172
An update for anyone who cares!

I have bought my car back from the finance company and it is now (finally) HPI clear! Woohoo!

Anyway, I obviously can't afford to keep it due to me paying for it twice, so unfortunately it will be in the classifieds soon...

Sad.