ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Red16 Turbo Conversion Latest

looking good mate.

but i cant help but think it might of been easier if you curled the primaries up and then down (rather then down and up) so you could point the turbo down then have easier access for the compressor outles and turbine outlet towards the downpipe.

dunno :confused:

the first plan was to have the pipes the way you said, but the compressor side of the turbo caught on the right hand branch of the manifold (cyl 4) and if the turbo was moved so it didnt catch the exhaust outlet for the downpipe was pointing straight into the starter motor. The manifold was also a little too close to the head when we first tried it.

ive got an rs turbo mongoose downpipe on the way from another bloke off ebay, so when that arrives ill butcher it and make it fit my turbo n exhaust system.

yeah a bit of polishinng of some of the welds would be a good idea, make it look nice n tidy, i might make another one out of stainless steel sometime once i know this is deffo the design im going to use. plenty more parts to make before that tho!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

looks similar to some of the manifolds the focus chaps have been using

its not to bad now........for under 60 quid you could have it done....and there are so many to choose from! yay!

heres a few more pics of the spare engine in my garage, with the wrecked t3 turbo i used as a template bolted to my manifold, and the rs turbo downpipe bolted in place, ready for modification to fit up to my clio decat pipe!

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1056482779__49_small.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1056482906__50_small.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1056482959__51_small.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1056482992__52_small.jpg

JESUS THATS A CLEAN WORKSHOP! lol

thats going to need some serious plumbing to get the compressor outlet to join to the TB.

You could cut the turbo elbow and weld it back together the otehr way round so you can turn the whole assembly around. dunno.

been looking at the plumbing side of this last weekend and kind of got a route in mind for the pipework from the turbo outlet to the intercooler, by going under the engine. need some steel pipe and a pipe bender, or i could gas weld some mandrel bent pieces of pipe together to construct the desired pipe shape. Deffo want this pipe in once piece and not joined with a million samcos!

going under the engine gives me the perfect position to go into the intercooler on the drivers side of the car tho, think itll work better, plus give a shorter length of pipe too. Have to investigate properly yet tho, before i do anything. If this doesnt work ill have to get the compressor housing rotated 180 degrees.

Oh right, sorry...forgot, your using a front mount IC!

SO under the engine mount and along the rails?

not so bad then.

At6 last someone thats not retarded making a proper manifold. Well done that man.

Although I hate to criticise the collectors a bit crap. But still better than the crap ofered by Ktec or whoever it is with the horrific cast jobbie.

no down the back of the block and under the engine betwen the box and sump, this will help keep the pipe as high as possible.

whats wrong with the collector?

FRST and 106 GTi

Red16, I think your job is going the right way!!! some ppl just like to see the spare shining and mint, and then they buy it... I prefer to build it myself and look raw. The final work is what it counts. Power!

engine bay is tight, so not much better can be done.
Maybee ceramic coating the manifold and even the downpipe (aka dump pipe) would be a good idea. Even the turbine side of the turbo should be heatshielded.
Its going to get really hot under that bonnet eheh...

Keep up the good work mate!!!

Ben, the collector, i didnt want to mention it as well......i can be seen to criticise and look down on people all the time by some.

ANyway, since Chris pointed it out, you have no uniform pattern for the collector. Its not creating any sort of flow direction, they all just converge in that tiny plenum and especially around cylinders 2-3, ill be pressurerised and possibly create flow reversal around overlap in cylinders 2-3. WHere it all meets each primary pipe is pointing in a different direction, i know space is limited but ideally they would taper slowly to the turbo flange and all follow the same direction for about a foot.

The cast item is horrid......plain horrid, but it comes form some company in Europe as does the whole conversion i think. Come to think of it, have they got a turbo profile cam to run or do they keep it std?

Oh, and apart from the ceremic coating which has been mentioned (ill try find the number of the UK operation, states is better as they have far more choice) you could use a simple turbo blanket cover on teh turbine to try minimise heat tranfer as its so close to the bulkhead/mastercylinder.

BUTRE a downpipe is not a dump pipe.

Theres no need for the pipes to run alongside for a foot or so into the collector Ben. A couple of inches would have done.

Ideally the pipes would curl down then up and remain seperate until the mounting flange. This would create what Ben refers to as flow direction basically meaning the gasses are firing directly at the turbine. The benifit of seperate feeds up to the collectors is that lag will be reduced greatly makign the car far more driveable.

The cast effort makes a good paper weights thats all I will say.

They retain the standard cams Ben. Which is fine as they are not very wild as standard so they wont produce to much trouble.

England in comparison to Scotland is much better for coating etc but America theres a ceramic coating station in every pepboys. Wrap the pipes in exhaust wrap, get decent stuff and a tip is to put the wrap in water, easier to apply and you wont get covered in the dust that will make your eyeballs fall out etc etc

I am also seen to look down and criticise people to some people simpole fact is things are either correct or wrong. You know th edifference and people dont like it when they are told the correct thing so you get branded a t**ser.

true true.......t**ser it is then, but they dont mind asking a t**ser for free help lol!

few feet, bit OTT but please, i dont dabble in turbos at all as im really not a fan of them, dont dislike them, but just not a fan (ba dum dum ching!). SO, exhaust theory........well, its biast. but a foot is nothing more thana couple of inches. ;)

anyway, that manifold just dumps gas in all sorts of directions. not a bad effort at all, but a few tweeks and it could be a good manifold.

yeah I know.

I like turbos, I like any engine. They may seem a cheat to some but turbos have helped NA engines devlop as well.

Yeah it could be a great manifold. Make the collector decent then even the addition of a split pulse turbo and wahey, no lag.

i dont dislike them, and they are not a cheat, no cheating in making power from a specific capacity, just not a fan of the whole thing. I guess it was my upbringing in Karts with 16,000rpm and no torque lol.

i know what you mean about the collector, but i tried to get it to flow as best as possible, the main problem being the lack of space. it flows a bit better than the pictures show, as the pipes from 1 and 4 curve towards the turbo entrance just be4 the collector, albeit not perfectly, but they do, and it is only a first go! :oops:

FRST and 106 GTi

hum.. I thought downpipe was the same as dump pipe. The pipe that comes from the turbo (exhaust/turbine side + wastegate if this one is not external) to the exhaust tube.

so whats the difference?

both my intercooler pipes go underneath the engine. That is definately the best wat to do it. I still managed to kep the battery in the front as well

It would make alot more sense fitting a charge cooler in the space that the battery usually sits in. That would keep lag down to a minimum and save alot of messing about with routing boost pipes.

Trust me!

but the cost of a chargecooler is a lot more than the front mounted intercooler!

turbo man, pictures please if you got any or could get some. would be very nice to see :D

I have got a few pitures of my Clio and all the new engine parts, but I am not too sharpe with the PC, so can you tell me how to get thm off of my machine and on to this page?

a dump pipe is a seperate pipe which the waste gate dumps down.

Some downpipes have a dump pipe inside them, some have external ones which merge back into the downpipe.

A waste gate which dumps into the downpipe does not make it a dump pipe.

Some are plain horrific. The exhaust is the easiest place to get gains on a turbo car. A decent exhaust will reduce lag and up power considerably and elimate boost creep, overboost etc etc