ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky Glass

2014 Clio 200t edc
I like sky tv, but I’ve just cancelled my broadband because it is horrendous and the customer service I received was terrible.
Itannoys me that they’ve brought this out, but we can’t even bookmark something to watch on skyQ! I can do it on a free view tv, and could do it with skyhd but not with q!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Sky can kiss my Rosie red Aris as far as I’m concerned.

I found them to be a horrendous company with regards to customer service. Every year it was an absolute battle to not get financially shafted. And there seemed to be a policy that if they reduced the price they always had to take something away like movies or kids telly etc.

I’m with Virgin now and I’ve had absolutely zero issues with them and when I called up to renegotiate my annual renewal it was seamless. My mega bundle includes literally everything they have to offer for £99 per month.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I don't like the idea of a Sky TV, it's not going to be as good as a high end LG/Sony at the price point it is at, which is fair enough. Yes, the headline features look great (4K/DV etc) but my £170 Amazon Fire TV in the bedroom also boasts those things, doesn't make it a good TV.

I also don't think we are ready for streaming only, if I had this service then should the internet stop working (or even just go slow) then I'd not have TV. I like having a separate Dish/Aerial service which is super reliable.

Also, how long does it take to channel hop if it's all streamed? Although I accept watching channels is largely a thing of the past.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I have streaming through my cable, and I basically never use my actual cable box anymore. Can’t remember the last time I picked up the remote for it.

Just load up the app, and away I go.

When the internet is down, 99% of the time, so is my cable anyway, so that makes no odds (for me anyway).

I’ve actually been debating getting rid of the cable all together and upping my internet, then just picking and choosing the streaming services I want. The problem is, I get a lot of stuff through the cable, that I would end up in the same place money wise if I cut the chord. And having to do it through 10 providers rather than one isn’t appealing.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
How fast is your internet though @Deeg ? Isn't it ridiculous in America?

Ridiculously slow?

The internet here is terrible. It’s all held together with string from 30 odd years ago from all the various regional cable providers.

Or satellite if you’re remote.

Compared to the UK, it’s 18th century internet wise.

There are small pockets of super fast, but, they are very small pockets. I think where I am, there are a handful of apartment buildings and a bit of downtown that has 1gb internet. I’m on 200 mbps, which in reality sits around 20-50.

And as with cell phones, it’s ridiculously expensive. My cable and internet is $200 / month iirc.

My sim only plan is (before a few corporate discounts) $55 / month, for what used to cost me £12 / month.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Sorry I don’t actually understand what it’s delivering other than a TV that negates the need for a dish and sound bar, but needs a sky subscription? So other than giving me access to sky what more does it do? Are the sports packages/movies further bolt on options? Currently I’m pretty happy with having a Netflix button on the remote, albeit the s**t software system in my Sony Tv and complete lack of ‘updatability’ means I have to use the PlayStation to select Disney plus…but I can resolve that by buying another TV and they are hardly expensive nowadays. We are just sorting out another living room in our extension, which I’m planning on buying a big TV for, so I am curious. However I hate the Sky subscription model, the only thing I really ever want to watch is F1, Boxing and big Golf tournaments anyway. (Isn’t the fury fight BT?)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I think we forget about the majority of the population.

A fixed monthly fee for everything which is easier for them to have 2 or 3 separate boxes in their living room with better than average TV speakers etc.

Not for me but I can see the appeal.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Ridiculously slow?

The internet here is terrible. It’s all held together with string from 30 odd years ago from all the various regional cable providers.

Or satellite if you’re remote.

Compared to the UK, it’s 18th century internet wise.

There are small pockets of super fast, but, they are very small pockets. I think where I am, there are a handful of apartment buildings and a bit of downtown that has 1gb internet. I’m on 200 mbps, which in reality sits around 20-50.

And as with cell phones, it’s ridiculously expensive. My cable and internet is $200 / month iirc.

My sim only plan is (before a few corporate discounts) $55 / month, for what used to cost me £12 / month.
I thought that pretty much all of America was super fast.

Mental prices too.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I think we forget about the majority of the population.

A fixed monthly fee for everything which is easier for them to have 2 or 3 separate boxes in their living room with better than average TV speakers etc.

Not for me but I can see the appeal.
I’m more worried about ‘another’ subscription. Seems loosing wires and boxes is less important than having finances cluttered with endless subscriptions. As I understand it I still need Netflix, Disney+ and whatever else if I want to watch their content? Or does this remove all that by consolidating all subscriptions into one?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
This will be following Betamax and the amstrad email phone in the history of tech fails.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
I don't like the idea of a Sky TV, it's not going to be as good as a high end LG/Sony at the price point it is at, which is fair enough. Yes, the headline features look great (4K/DV etc) but my £170 Amazon Fire TV in the bedroom also boasts those things, doesn't make it a good TV.

I also don't think we are ready for streaming only, if I had this service then should the internet stop working (or even just go slow) then I'd not have TV. I like having a separate Dish/Aerial service which is super reliable.

Also, how long does it take to channel hop if it's all streamed? Although I accept watching channels is largely a thing of the past.

From the demo I’ve had a go on it’s extremely quick at channel hopping and other navigation. Switching between apps. Super super quick.

They are live in sky retail stores (the proper ones) so you could see there if you were in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
I’m more worried about ‘another’ subscription. Seems loosing wires and boxes is less important than having finances cluttered with endless subscriptions. As I understand it I still need Netflix, Disney+ and whatever else if I want to watch their content? Or does this remove all that by consolidating all subscriptions into one?

Technically you can already get your Netflix Disney+ discovery+ and sky all through Sky. That isn’t new, and expect it to be the same here.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Your in the states. Isn’t there a similar product over there through Amazon and Google?

Not that I’ve seen, but, I’ve not been searching it out. Nor have I heard of anyone wanting that. The preference IME is for a built in app / external box.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Judging by the early pre-reg. you might be wrong.

I guess come 18th Oct we will find out.

You mean they made 5 units and have sold "100%" of their allocation?

Only winding you up. Just think it looks dated already. Nothing new about it!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'll do whatever it takes to avoid monthly payments, so Sky has never been something I've been interested in (luckily the missus pays for Disney+, Netflix & Prime lol, and Spotify too :D)

My NAS is still full of torrents lol.

Making hardware is always cool but yeah I don't really see this taking off. Don't know many people that actually have Sky anymore, I guess they're getting a little desperate? And fair play as there's so much competition now. Who actually makes the panel though, surely still LG or Samsung?

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
I'll do whatever it takes to avoid monthly payments, so Sky has never been something I've been interested in (luckily the missus pays for Disney+, Netflix & Prime lol, and Spotify too :D)

My NAS is still full of torrents lol.

Making hardware is always cool but yeah I don't really see this taking off. Don't know many people that actually have Sky anymore, I guess they're getting a little desperate? And fair play as there's so much competition now. Who actually makes the panel though, surely still LG or Samsung?

I can see why people avoid monthly’s. I’ve handed back a PCP deal BMW this year and gone back older used car transport. Also for the first time in 10 years run out my iPhone contract and not upgraded.

I don’t know who makes the panel. I think they are keeping that a close secret. We have been chatting about that exact thing in the office.

As for sky being desperate. Still in 10M homes in the U.K. the biggest and best home subscriber service in Europe and making £4bn revenue. I think we are doing pretty well. Also part of the Comcast group with huge cash flow and investing in stuff like this.

Obviously doesn’t appeal to the majority here. Or at least not yet. But I would be willing to bet this is in 6m homes inside 5 years like sky Q is over it being a complete flop. And I remember sky Q being difficult to understand at launch.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I saw this advertised the other day.

So David, is this in essence a smart TV which can be purchased on finance via Sky? So mobile phone sales model but for TV's?

What benefits will this have over say a new Samsung TV - cost of Sky/Netflix etc aside.

My crude understanding is that Sky for many years had a monopoly on satalite TV and have been losing traction in the market since fast BB allowed for the rise of Netflix (etc.). I guess Sky's intention is to keep customers for longer - if you leave Sky they take your TV back so you have to replace with something else which is expensive so puts people off?

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
So David, is this in essence a smart TV which can be purchased on finance via Sky? So mobile phone sales model but for TV's?

What benefits will this have over say a new Samsung TV - cost of Sky/Netflix etc aside.

Essential yes. But better integration with all your content. Smart TVs are pretty dumb. They allow you access to streaming apps but that’s it. And everything is kept separate. This should make it easier to find your shows and if that show is across multiple platforms over multiple series it will bring it all together.

The finance model is just that. Either buy it outright, over 2 years or over 4 years.

Benefits over a Samsung TV. You won’t get HDR picture and doubly atmos sound across all these services as easily anywhere else. It’s probably possible. But will take a lot of wires and effort that most people just can’t be arsed with. Plus you would have to buy a sound bar as well. This is a High quality TV and sound bar in one. Also will cost less than buying an equivalent quality tv and sound bar. About 30% less we reckon.

My crude understanding is that Sky for many years had a monopoly on satalite TV and have been losing traction in the market since fast BB allowed for the rise of Netflix (etc.). I guess Sky's intention is to keep customers for longer - if you leave Sky they take your TV back so you have to replace with something else which is expensive so puts people off.

That’s a fair summary. But probably the rise of Netflix and their investment in original content that has made it so competitive. Not BB speeds alone. We had figures a few years back showing something like 70% of sky customers had Netflix as well. So it’s a case of some people wanting everything. And not a choice between one or the other. For other people it is Netflix or sky. That’s kind of what NOW TV was created for to play to that market.

As for taking your TV back. I don’t think that would happen but I don’t know. Back to your mobile analogy if you buy it up front, it’s yours. If you buy it on a credit agreement with a contract to a subscription. Obviously you have committed to stay for that duration. But at the end of the agreement the TV is yours. So just like my iPhone. I’ve paid it off now and I’m on a rolling monthly contract until I decide otherwise. I think it will be the swap / renewal cycle that will maintain customers, rather than the threat of taking their equipment away.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I think, just from my own feelings on the subject, from what you have written above and also the marketing I have seen;

I am not a Sky customer and this device does not tempt me to become a sky customer, it isn't (at least doesn't sound) like a big enough technological step to make me switch - similar to when Virgin offered the uks first really high speed broadband - people wanted to swap because it was a big leap.

However if I was a Sky customer I would likely sign up to this - why not.

Also, if I was poor and wanted a big new TV this would likely be a tempting solution, although I would undoubtedly have Sky then anyway so would fall into the category above.

If you don’t watch live tv, I don’t see the benefit over a streaming device?

In my case I use an Apple TV.
The streaming apps I have installed are iPlayer, nowtv (£1 for movies for a month already cancelled), Apple TV, Prime Video, sometimes Netflix and Discovery.

Within the tv app is ‘Watch Now’ and ‘Up Next’, all of your installed apps are integrated into this (you have to grant permission when the app is installed).
New episodes and series always show up. I get an alert on my watch and iPhone when a new episode of match of the day is available (for example).

in the ‘Watch Now’ section there’s also a section for each installed app such as ‘Best of BBC iPlayer’.

I have a freeview recorder box for the odd live show so I can watch itv and C4 in HD instead of using their streaming apps.

34A5D871-40B7-4D3F-ABCC-AB2E93B30D5A.jpeg

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
If you don’t watch live tv, I don’t see the benefit over a streaming device?

In my case I use an Apple TV.
The streaming apps I have installed are iPlayer, nowtv (£1 for movies for a month already cancelled), Apple TV, Prime Video, sometimes Netflix and Discovery.

Within the tv app is ‘Watch Now’ and ‘Up Next’, all of your installed apps are integrated into this (you have to grant permission when the app is installed).
New episodes and series always show up. I get an alert on my watch and iPhone when a new episode of match of the day is available (for example).

in the ‘Watch Now’ section there’s also a section for each installed app such as ‘Best of BBC iPlayer’.

I have a freeview recorder box for the odd live show so I can watch itv and C4 in HD instead of using their streaming apps.

View attachment 1561549

This is the integration point exactly. What you have is pretty good. Sky Q. Does it as well. Sky Glass will do it even better.

I haven’t used Apple TV recently. And it’s a cap in the current sky integration. Over time I’m sure you will see the unlocking of all of these subscriptions as everyone try’s to become the one place to go to get everything.

Does Apple TV allow Netflix and Disney+ in the same way?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
The latest fire stick I have works exactly like this and it's brilliant. Search a film and it displays where I can watch it over all of the platforms.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
The latest fire stick I have works exactly like this and it's brilliant. Search a film and it displays where I can watch it over all of the platforms.

Roku have been doing it for years. In fact, they have a TV with their software integrated. Think it’s a Hisense set.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah. Integration of content isn’t unique. I said in the beginning there are various services doing this. Even to the extent of a roku TV, Netflix button etc.

Like all of these changes. It’s not just one company but a move several players will make in the market. It will come down to who does it best.

All of the services above really lack when it comes to live TV. Live and recorded live TV still makes up a bit part. So if you want to confuse customers with switching between services and missing out on half their viewing recommendations crack on.

I find it laughable that switching to a recorded freeview box and a fire stick is even compared to this to be honest.