ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So you said it couldn't be done... 182 Bought!

inferno 182.
my sides are splitting!!!! thought i get stick with my treads and i know what im doing!!!(paint)
my inferno had done 43k with history and belts done at renault dealer! bad mistake!!!! belt was too tight and fucked the dephaser![
morel to this story is dont trust service history and get it done by someone who knows how to do it properly!!!!QUOTE=richyygti;8734655]Best thread ever.[/QUOTE]

2006 Modus
You are a rotten lot - but so so funny. :lolup: and, in my (old) day tights were used for fan belts. Gawd knows. praps the thicker ones may be of use

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Not sure if serious?

Yep your car sounds awesome too, sounds like it's going strong! That strong it's needed a new engine because it shat itself.

You should get married to Pedro, you'd suit each other perfectly ;)

"OMG OMG IVE GOT A MINTER HOWD U LIKE THEM APPLES?"

" YEAH WELL ME TOO, MINE NEEDS NEW CAMBELT BUT THATS JUST A COSMETIC THING, WHO LOOKS AT A BELT ANYWAY????"

"I KNOW RIGHT, MINES A MINTER, SO MINT I REPLACED THE NEW ENGINE WITH AN EVEN MINTER ONE!!!!"

I was being sort of serious. Had a problem at christmas. The crank pulley fell in half at the damper. Such a pity as it was a good engine (just run in at 120k). It had been serviced and not neglected like i teased you guys. It was due a belt change which i had booked ( oh the irony ).

The crank pulley is made of 2 parts with a damper in between. Stops the crank destroying itself. Looks like mine corroded and perished the rubber. It slipped and timing jumped. These are actually a service item but i do think i was very unlucky. Its now sitting as a paper weight on my desk at work !

Anyway dropped in a fresh engine from a member on here and its as good as new. New belt and a full service. Good for another 100K :)

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
So in summary:

Lad asks how much for a straight example of a 182?

Lad gets told it's £xxxx to have one that is likely to be hassle free?

Lad can't afford £xxxx, but instead of saving up, buys a car for £yyyy, which needs £zzz spent on it, taking it to around or above the £xxxx price everyone quoted in the first place?

Lad buys a low mileage car (Never got the obsession myself, but whatever rocks your boat) with seemingly little or no history (I'm assuming based on the fact he has ducked the question about 9 times now).

Lad is now ignoring anything about getting the belts done, despite them being 2 years over due?

Lad sticks some part worn tyres on (as a stop gap).

Lad continues to ignore advice on getting the belts done.

Lad prices up exhaust, seemingly approx 1/3 - 1/2 of the cost of getting said belts done as opposed to just getting the belts done?

Lad will run the car with little or no maintenance until it goes pop, then it will be up in the for sale section as a none runner and the lad will be £xxxx down?

So in summary:

Lad can't afford £xxxx, but instead of saving up, buys a car for £yyyy, which needs £zzz spent on it, taking it to around or above the £xxxx price everyone quoted in the first place?

Lad buys a low mileage car (Never got the obsession myself, but whatever rocks your boat) with seemingly little or no history (I'm assuming based on the fact he has ducked the question about 9 times now).

Lad is now ignoring anything about getting the belts done, despite them being 2 years over due?

Lad prices up exhaust, seemingly approx 1/3 - 1/2 of the cost of getting said belts done as opposed to just getting the belts done?

Lad will run the car with little or no maintenance until it goes pop, then it will be up in the for sale section as a none runner and the lad will be £xxxx down?

Sounds about right, though you forgot the bout where he spent £42 on spark plugs and however much on a front grille, all of which could (should) have gone towards the belts..

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
So in summary:

+1

Also...

Has this blown up yet?

172 Sport
How exactly has anyone been a c**t?

The only thing I see is it being pointed how short sighted the OP is, which I think is without question.

Not at all. I took a punt on my 172, 70K and one owner from new. I paid £700 and it is properly mint. I bought it off a trader with no service history, but for the price I couldn't say no.

I rang the original owner on the number the dealer gave me and he had the full service history with him, all genuine Renault and up to date with belts bang on interval. I drove to Exeter and collected it and it is all as it should be, better than some of these precious 182's with FSH I see up for unrealistic 4/5K prices.

I say that if the OP is happy with his purchase then who are you to **** him off for it and give him a hard time, it is his car and his money.

If it does need a belt a and he doesn't know then all it takes is to say that it needs them, if he doesn't want to listen just leave it. It doesn't need to turn into the "my car is better than yours" bun fight over service history that has come from people in this thread.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
No one is disputing anything about the car.

He gave it billy big b****cks that he had done the impossible. No one has disputed that the car looks good AFAIK, and no one has really said anything negative.

The point of contention is that with the work that is needed, the price goes up to or around what everyone said needed to be spent in the first place.

Now instead of taking the relevant steps to ensure that his car is in fact mint by changing the long over due belts, he's sticking bad man exhausts and part worn tyres on.

The above is incredibly short sighted, in my, and others opinion.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
No one is disputing anything about the car.

He gave it billy big b****cks that he had done the impossible. No one has disputed that the car looks good AFAIK, and no one has really said anything negative.

The point of contention is that with the work that is needed, the price goes up to or around what everyone said needed to be spent in the first place.

Now instead of taking the relevant steps to ensure that his car is in fact mint by changing the long over due belts, he's sticking bad man exhausts and part worn tyres on.

The above is incredibly short sighted, in my, and others opinion.

Also, no one suggested he should pay £5K, no where near it in fact, just that it would be foolish to assume that anything less than the price stated would need money spending on it.

Rusty Cup
This threads got me thinking i could do with ignoring some advice. I dont have anything specific in mind so if anyone has some advice i could ignore then that would be just great.

Clio 182
Not at all. I took a punt on my 172, 70K and one owner from new. I paid £700 and it is properly mint. I bought it off a trader with no service history, but for the price I couldn't say no.

I rang the original owner on the number the dealer gave me and he had the full service history with him, all genuine Renault and up to date with belts bang on interval. I drove to Exeter and collected it and it is all as it should be, better than some of these precious 182's with FSH I see up for unrealistic 4/5K prices.

I say that if the OP is happy with his purchase then who are you to **** him off for it and give him a hard time, it is his car and his money.

If it does need a belt a and he doesn't know then all it takes is to say that it needs them, if he doesn't want to listen just leave it. It doesn't need to turn into the "my car is better than yours" bun fight over service history that has come from people in this thread.

Thanks!

I've obviously been reading the forums and checking this thread every so often, I just don't see the point in posting to get flamed at, are the majority of the people on the forum just ignorant dicks? I have had the car 2 weeks now, got a fantastic quote on getting the belts done and nearly have all the money required to do it. I've driven the car 800 miles since I've had it (Let the flaming begin) and it has been wonderful throughout.

It's lovely to drive, smooth, all that jazz. I plan to get the belts done within the next few weeks before my long drive down to france. Is that good enough for the majority of you? The car has the service history to match the mileage, I've changed the spark plugs within the first 5 days of owning the car and plan to do an oil change this weekend although it has been done recently. All this boll0cks of me not knowing how to look after a car are are pre-sumptions and just generally pissed me off. I have a passion for cars as I'm mechanically minded. I like to know how things work and take apart and build computers for many people.

I've enjoyed reading many threads on the forums, just paid for membership too so I can enjoy the benefits, and I needed a tax disc holder ;)

I didn't mean to cause any offence or anything like that but it just seems like everyone wanted to jump on the cambelt bandwagon. 10 pages of people just flaming at me for not getting the cambelt done immediatly. Seriously?

Anyway, see you around the forums.

Peter.

172 Sport
Pretty sure Peters post just about sums up what I meant.

Enjoy the car Peter, get some photo's up in a build thread :)

Evo 5 RS
I think maybe the majority were being a bit unfair on him until he started spending money on things like his exhaust. 2 years over due on a cambelt on these is just asking for grief. That's the argument. Especially (as Deeg just pointed out) when he's come on here typing like he's climbed Everest

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
What does history to match the mileage mean?

Every 12K (so 2 maybe 3 services) or annual?

Clio 182
Pretty sure Peters post just about sums up what I meant.

Enjoy the car Peter, get some photo's up in a build thread :)

I will do! Thanks. Unfortunatly I had troubles with the exhaust, it sheered clean off after the Cat to Silencer join and had to get that welded up. Tthe warranty didn't cover it as it's natural wear and tear, only cost £20 though.

I'll get a progress thread up once I've done the cambelt, I don't want a 10 page progress thread with just people telling me to do the cambelt ;)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I think the title of the thread left you a little open to some of the comments Pedro. This forum is an absolute must if you own a Renaultsport Clio. It is an encyclopaedia of information for these cars.

Yes there are a few schmucks on here but the majority are genuinely nice people who will help you out if they can.

Good luck with the car mate.

Clio 182
What does history to match the mileage mean?

Every 12K (so 2 maybe 3 services) or annual?

Well it was serviced at 12k, I got the car at 28k so it needed one now. I've changed the spark plugs for the correct NGK ones and I'll do an oil change this weekend hopefully.

Trying to find a standard airbox though so I can put in a uprated panel filter

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Are you digging for an argument? Because I'll have one, pick your topic? :p

Give the man a break, he's getting it all sorted.

Far from it, I'm curious.

If that's ok with you, as you seem to be the Internet police?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Well it was serviced at 12k, I got the car at 28k so it needed one now. I've changed the spark plugs for the correct NGK ones and I'll do an oil change this weekend hopefully.

Trying to find a standard airbox though so I can put in a uprated panel filter

So it's been serviced once?

It's done 7 years on 1 service?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
This threads got me thinking i could do with ignoring some advice. I dont have anything specific in mind so if anyone has some advice i could ignore then that would be just great.

Don't go calling people fools for driving on the wrong side of the road when it was completely safe to do so and is an advanced driving technique use to keep car more stable and therefore safer, oh wait............ ;o)

Clio 182
I think the title of the thread left you a little open to some of the comments Pedro. This forum is an absolute must if you own a Renaultsport Clio. It is an encyclopaedia of information for these cars.

Yes there are a few schmucks on here but the majority are genuinely nice people who will help you out if they can.

Good luck with the car mate.

Definitely! Found a lot of stuff out, especially problems :D I already know a few CS members from other enthusiast forums and they've been very helpful.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Come along to one of the meets mate. There's normally a good crowd at the North Weald ones.

:race:meet at north weald on the 17th june, see thread on the se section, you can even race your car that day, should be a laugh:approve:

Clio 182
:race:meet at north weald on the 17th june, see thread on the se section, you can even race your car that day, should be a laugh:approve:

I'd love to race it, never been on track before though so I'm VERY scared. I think first time I'll just trot along not trying to be an overtaking hero and learn how the car handles. Don't want to absolutely thrash it though until I get the belt done. I'll see if I can make it down though to see everyone in action and get some inspiration ;) Won't race my car though :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Well it was serviced at 12k, I got the car at 28k so it needed one now.

1 service, in 7 years?

So in 2008, it had done 12k miles, then between then & now it went up to 187k miles, then someone put the clocks from a 28k miler in it, 'lost' the history, then sold it to you. Just out of history, please tell me that you have checked the mileages on the MOT history checker online?!!!!!