ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So you said it couldn't be done... 182 Bought!

to be fair Pedro , thats not a full history on the car , it will be fine i am sure but it has been far from serviced as recommended by renault , all our cars even when not doing alot in the mileage stakes are done when required.
I am sure you have all the MOT's to verify the milage as the service history won't . However you are not alone , i emailed a guy selling a 197 and when i asked about the belts (sorry not to bring belts into it again) he was adament it did not need them as it had not done enough miles .

Do yourself a favour and bleed the brakes through and change the brake fluid , it will have absorbed moisture over that period of time and is one of the reasons for doing services on time as well as mileage . There are a fair few time dependent things ....look at the brake hoses too as if the rubber on the tyres has perished there may be a similar issue with some of the rubber hoses.

Not trying to slate you just offer some good sound advice ,especially as you sound like you have a long trip down to france , and changing the brake fluid isn't an expensive job to do yourself .

And sir Dave , if the tyres have perished that sounds more like a car that's sat around rather than been to the moon and back and been clocked ......

Harv.

Clio 182
1 service, in 7 years?

So in 2008, it had done 12k miles, then between then & now it went up to 187k miles, then someone put the clocks from a 28k miler in it, 'lost' the history, then sold it to you. Just out of history, please tell me that you have checked the mileages on the MOT history checker online?!!!!!

Yes I have checked it online, I've also said it 3 times in this thread, the mileage is warranted.

pedro , look at th e rubber hoses al over the car , and check for cracking ... also get that fluid changed.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
But it's a low mileage example why would he need to check the mots... Guy was really honest...

Clio 182
to be fair Pedro , thats not a full history on the car , it will be fine i am sure but it has been far from serviced as recommended by renault , all our cars even when not doing alot in the mileage stakes are done when required.
I am sure you have all the MOT's to verify the milage as the service history won't . However you are not alone , i emailed a guy selling a 197 and when i asked about the belts (sorry not to bring belts into it again) he was adament it did not need them as it had not done enough miles .

Do yourself a favour and bleed the brakes through and change the brake fluid , it will have absorbed moisture over that period of time and is one of the reasons for doing services on time as well as mileage . There are a fair few time dependent things ....look at the brake hoses too as if the rubber on the tyres has perished there may be a similar issue with some of the rubber hoses.

Not trying to slate you just offer some good sound advice ,especially as you sound like you have a long trip down to france , and changing the brake fluid isn't an expensive job to do yourself .

And sir Dave , if the tyres have perished that sounds more like a car that's sat around rather than been to the moon and back and been clocked ......

Harv.

Thanks for the constructive comment. I've noticed the exhaust mounts have perished, especially the left hand one. For now I've just put in an old Socket and cable tied it in place, good temporary measure. I must admit the brakes were quite spongy when I got it, but over time and heavy braking (trying to get some life into them) they're as good, if not better than my Corsa with upgraded 282mm brakes now. The Discs and pads all round are brand new, not sure on the brand though. I'll have a check of the brake lines and their condition when I finish work tonight. Never really considered they could be damaged.

On the tire issue, I had the same problem with a previous car, the tires had been on since new so had small cracks in the walls. If anyone can confirm what tires an 05 plate clio 182 comes with as standard I can check. They're definatly Michellins though.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
The 12k service was done in 2008. Spark plugs are designed to last 75k miles, filter 32k iirc. Main problem is the oil

FYI, sparks are normally completely shot at half that mileage. I advise on a 36k interval, but you've done those already. Oil and all filters should be changed every 12k or 12 months, whichever is soonest, so you're about 3 years overdue. Coolant and brake fluid will have degraded . There's also more to a service than filters and fluids.

Last edited:
  Clio 182
FYI, sparks are normally completely shot at half that mileage. I advise on a 36k interval, but you've done those already. Oil and all filters should be changed every 12k or 12 months, whichever is soonest, so you're about 3 years overdue. Coolant and brake fluid will have degraded . There's also more to a service than filters and fluids.

Mine were VERY shot. 3rd one especially! That one had quite a bit of surface rust on it. All the tips seemed covered in soot too. Worst I had seen, although I havn't seen that many.

What else should I look out for?

Clio 182
Old plugs are absolutely f**ked, thread had started to rust somehow and the built in washer was completely brown with rust, aswell as the tips of the plug being completely black. So in went the new plugs, took around an hour 1/2, having to take half the inlet manifold off, also cleaned up the throttle body while I was there as that had a few layers of gunk on it too. Carb cleaner FTW!
aqOsz.jpg

nqbq8.jpg

Nice shiney throttle body, om nomnomn nom
xnmT7.jpg

Clio 182
Sorry, havent read through the thread since i last asked you on P1.

Thats a good point then!! Just make sure you give it a full service, so everything oily/filtery/rubbery asap.

No problem. There was a list I found with renaults recommended service checks based on mileage but I can't find it now. Was going to base my service on a 50k service.

i would be more likely basing it on a 72 or 84k , as cars would average 12k per year .....or anual , however there will be stuff in other intervals that need doing ....... FWIw taking a car thats been in storage back onto the road is often hellishly expensive for this reason .

Clio 182
i would be more likely basing it on a 72 or 84k , as cars would average 12k per year .....or anual , however there will be stuff in other intervals that need doing ....... FWIw taking a car thats been in storage back onto the road is often hellishly expensive for this reason .

You're probably right.

Yeah I realised when I first saw that service list.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

Renault told me the coolent is good for the life of the car as it has anti corrosion and other stuff in it that stops its degrading...

Evo 5 RS
They also say the spark plugs are good for 75k. Look at the f**king state of yours. Renault are basing the life time b****cks on 100,000 and the average time a person could possibly (pissing in the wind) keep the car for.

The additives they put in don't last forever and degrade

Clio 182
They also say the spark plugs are good for 75k. Look at the f**king state of yours. Renault are basing the life time b****cks on 100,000 and the average time a person could possibly (pissing in the wind) keep the car for.

The additives they put in don't last forever and degrade

State of whose spark plugs? Because Fatty was stating the coolant can be fine for the life of the car, not me.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Was going to base my service on a 50k service.

Personally, as it probably hasnt been that well looked after servicing wise up to this point, id probably be doing the following:

Fairly cheap: Engine oil & filter, Air filter, Pollen filter, Gearbox oil, Brake fluid, Coolant change
Fairly expensive: Cambelt, aux belt & dephaser.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Personally, as it probably hasnt been that well looked after servicing wise up to this point, id probably be doing the following:

Fairly cheap: Engine oil & filter, Air filter, Pollen filter, Gearbox oil, Brake fluid, Coolant change
Fairly expensive: Cambelt, aux belt & dephaser.

This. I try to change all fluids and filters within the week. Always factor this into the price of any used car