ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TomoTek - 182 Track Build here we come!...

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Have you not seen my updates?! Lol! Yeah done a few more bits and pieces to it. Getting closer now!

Edit: northloop forum is still on the go!! Last time I went on there though there was a few that were a bit up their own arse. Shame really as there seemed to be some nice people too. It just put me off because of the bell ends.
I have subscribed to your epic thread yes [emoji6] however I haven't had any updates!.. just had a browse!, wiring looking ace... I did the full loom on our formula student car back in the day, was so rewarding.. definalty helps to have OCD when ur doing it, oh and a load of patience haha

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I have subscribed to your epic thread yes [emoji6] however I haven't had any updates!.. just had a browse!, wiring looking ace... I did the full loom on our formula student car back in the day, was so rewarding.. definalty helps to have OCD when ur doing it, oh and a load of patience haha
You also need asbestos fingers from the glue lined heat shrink! Lol!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
#16.5

Went over to see my good mate @chrispy.clio the other weekend and ended up coming home with his old Mk1 dash......

20150626_161135_zpsagc16b3b.jpg

It was as if I had thought about it and set the dash bar height for this dash :smirk:
20150703_231329_zpsxgpomk6d.jpg

20150703_231704_zpst7ix7ziw.jpg

Even the front leg cut outs are a perfect fit!
20150703_231419_zpswqryw3vv.jpg

Just needs a clean up, some mount tabs fitting and a good 'flocking' , JD
I'm pretty happy with the fit and the look of it.. I wanted to get rid of the Mk2 'cumbersome' dash.

Also went to pick up the new heated screen from: Ricky Evans Motorsport
http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/acatalog/renault-clio-2-green-heated-windscreen.html#SID=519
Ideal as we don't want to run a blower and have removed the heater unit... It's a dual circuit, laminated screen.
Need to weigh the standard one and see if there is any weight difference. Long way off fitting it, just need to make sure it stays in one piece until then haha

20150611_194936_zps1ltdu3rr.jpg

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, I got through 3 in one season!

We were always going through them on the race cars at my old work too.. Do you just run an electric blower in the cockpit on yours?

If we do do some racing (with is propably inevitable) and we get fed up of buying new screens will have to look into different options.
Either that or just have to stay infront of the pack :wink:

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

Now the cage is finished I turned my attention to the front subframe and rear axle (the last pieces left on the suspension job list)
I sandblasted the front subframe at work and seam welded up the wishbone brackets and main plates to help strengthen the frame up (not shown in pic).. I plan to convert the wishbones to spherical bearings later on so didn't go crazy modifying this frame, just want to get the car built and enjoy it.

FRONT SUBFRAME - Sand blasted
20141015_222912_zps2n1hldtx.jpg

Grooves on the front face of the front wishbone brackets (as a result of the original powerflex steel sleeves I replaced eating into it during braking and cornering)... I have TIG'd these grooves up and filed the brackets flat again. (no pic)
20150527_205011_zpsw4n0ofib.jpg

REAR AXLE as taken off the car last year some time, ready for modifying to fit the Pure Motorsport Stiffening and bearing conversion kits.
20140929_182139_zpswkk56ktf.jpg

I cut off the spring pans due to buying the coilovers. (I sandblasted it a few months ago, hence the surface rust coming back)
20150815_110147_zpstmv7mxin.jpg

Bushed pretty much fell out after a tap with the hammer.. 100K+ they've not done too bad. (Beat having to burn them out!!)
20150815_214623_zpsxmbmjrja.jpg

Cutting a groove in the sleeves for easy removal.
20150815_095954_zpscalmy8je.jpg

Then set about removing the rest of the unnecessary brackets and welds and prepping the surface for welding.
20150815_110042_zpsvcqcrjrz.jpg

20150815_110127_zpshikda781.jpg

PMS stiffening kit and bearing kits ready for welding
20150815_123724_zpsqvcknjeq.jpg

PMS Bearing replacement for the standard bushes
IMG-20150815-WA0008_zpsl0pnwodb.gif

A bit of fettling with the grinder later I had all the main pieces tacked it place.
Unfortunately the guy I borrowed the TIG welder from to do the cage needed it back so I had to do with my MIG welder to do the rear axle.. Not a massive issue as it sits out of view under the car anyway.. Just the 'OCD' side of me wasn't too happy haha!
20150815_133653_zpswkle1h20.jpg

20150815_133701_zps5rd1fban.jpg

20150815_145856_zpsogqyijuq.jpg

I mocked up the AST lower bush width using a copper pipe fitting that I filled down to size to jig the 'double shear' plates
20150815_174216_zpsbpy7tgaj.jpg

I then fully welded all the plates. I welded them in sequence to ensure minimal distortion to the axle. (Ideally I would have liked to have made a jig to align and mount the axle on before welding to ensure it was straight, I'll just have to use the custom shims on either side to adjust toe/camber as per usual anyway)
20150815_192703_zps0cokfgjd.jpg

Pretty pleased with how it came out to be honest. Will do the job
20150815_211829_zpsxn4y3joh.jpg

20150815_211922_zps3ehastq9.jpg

20150815_212030_zpsno0poixr.jpg

20150815_212012_zps5ejr8uwu.jpg

Test fitted the rear damper.
20150815_212451_zpsmmiaa7jk.jpg

Another couple of jobs ticked off!..
That's pretty much all the chassis components finished... will be another milestone in the build when all these bits get sent off for sand blasting and powder coating!

20150816_155641_zpsoiksfhot.jpg

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

Managed a few hours on the car this weekend.. The lads were down so we all went to watch a round of the MSVR championship (GT Cup/Team Trophy/Mini Challenge) at donington (10mins down the road).. saw a few clios in the paddock, one in particular was holding its own and even beat an Audi S3 2 classes above the clio .. We also fitted some new Brembo HC discs, EBC Yellow stuff pads, and braided lines to my mates Trophy ready for a track day at Blyton in 2 weeks. The Trophy is my mate Ben's daily runner, he is going halfs on this project too. We also gave the lights a well needed refurb too.

20150919_162001_zpsgbmsqpkz.jpg

With the spare time I had on Sunday I decided to get the single wiper motor bracket fabricated and welded to the shell.. The last thing to do before I can paint the shell... I modelled up a simple bracket at work and set to it..

20150921_153345_zpstttd0ta2.jpg

The full set of parts needed... Plate cut and drilled, ready for bending

20150920_144908_zpsvsfsg29n.jpg

Plate Bent and Bolted to the wiper ready for clamping into position

20150920_153701_zps6fo6szu4.jpg

Wiper motor bracket clamped in place before tacking the bracket and unbolting the motor.. Then 'Plug' welding through the holes to the shell

20150920_160911_zpsddyru3mu.jpg

Motor bracket welded on and primed... Motor bolted on for a final check.. all looking good!

20150920_181232_zps9gkdjsfe.jpg

Next Job... Paint the interior and engine bay.. then the build can get some real momentum!
Powder coating has been picked up to... I'll get a pic up when I can.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Managed a few hours on the car this weekend.. The lads were down so we all went to watch a round of the MSVR championship (GT Cup/Team Trophy/Mini Challenge) at donington (10mins down the road).. saw a few clios in the paddock, one in particular was holding its own and even beat an Audi S3 2 classes above the clio .. We also fitted some new Brembo HC discs, EBC Yellow stuff pads, and braided lines to my mates Trophy ready for a track day at Blyton in 2 weeks. The Trophy is my mate Ben's daily runner, he is going halfs on this project too. We also gave the lights a well needed refurb too.

20150919_162001_zpsgbmsqpkz.jpg

With the spare time I had on Sunday I decided to get the single wiper motor bracket fabricated and welded to the shell.. The last thing to do before I can paint the shell... I modelled up a simple bracket at work and set to it..

20150921_153345_zpstttd0ta2.jpg

The full set of parts needed... Plate cut and drilled, ready for bending

20150920_144908_zpsvsfsg29n.jpg

Plate Bent and Bolted to the wiper ready for clamping into position

20150920_153701_zps6fo6szu4.jpg

Wiper motor bracket clamped in place before tacking the bracket and unbolting the motor.. Then 'Plug' welding through the holes to the shell

20150920_160911_zpsddyru3mu.jpg

Motor bracket welded on and primed... Motor bolted on for a final check.. all looking good!

20150920_181232_zps9gkdjsfe.jpg

Next Job... Paint the interior and engine bay.. then the build can get some real momentum!
Powder coating has been picked up to... I'll get a pic up when I can.
Where are you then if Donington is 10 mins down the road?? I used to live in Swadlincote and Donington was only 15-20 mins away.

M2 Comp
I currently live in Warwick, but the car is kept at my mums house in Coalville, i grew up in Ashby though.. where are you based now?

Not far from me then. I live in Coleorton so just between Coalville and Ashby.

Have you already sorted a powder coater for your chassis bits? If not I can recommend somewhere local who has done all the same stuff for me.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Not far from me then. I live in Coleorton so just between Coalville and Ashby.

Have you already sorted a powder coater for your chassis bits? If not I can recommend somewhere local who has done all the same stuff for me.
Oh nice, small world, not far at all!
I used a company called Kineton Powder Coating which is 2mins from my work in Gaydon.. Who do you use? may be easier to take future bits somewhere more local to the car.

So where the hell was Ben? He's the only person I can't see working on the car lol! [emoji85]
Haha!, surprisingly he was under the rear end changing the rear rubber hoses over to the braided ones (I know I wouldn't have believed it unless I'd seen it either)

CLIO 182
Haha! I need photographic evidence!!

Never really saw the point in changing the rear hoses to SS as the pipe before the caliper is rubber too. It's like the whole rear section of line needs to be changed if it's still staying road car setup.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah i know what u mean.. well least by changing the ones you et in the kit you half the amount of rubber pipes in the system at the rear, will be better than not doing any of them.. they should update the kit for sure

There is a pic on facey B with Ben under the car.. I think he just cabled tied his hands to the rear beam then fell asleep tho ;)

CLIO 182
Yeah true mate. Always really bugged me that! Was the sole reason why I never bothered with the rear! OCD crazy like that. I'd rather do none than some! Plus I told myself I'd be making my own internal lines soon anyway [emoji23][emoji23] pahaha like that happened!

When is Ben doing Blyton mate?

M2 Comp
Oh nice, small world, not far at all!
I used a company called Kineton Powder Coating which is 2mins from my work in Gaydon.. Who do you use? may be easier to take future bits somewhere more local to the car.

The place I use is called Charnwood Powder Coaters in Loughborough.

Impressed with what you've done so far - not sure how I've managed to miss this thread completely!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Impressed with what you've done so far - not sure how I've managed to miss this thread completely!
Cheers mate, I don't tend to update it very often so it probably falls off the first few pages of forum pretty quickly.
Thanks for the heads up on powder coaters.

Epic build dude and what a rollcage you have skills .
Thanks!, took long enough to fabricate, just glad its done and happy with how it turned out!

Amazing thread. Thanks for going into the detail, it really makes the thread interesting. I wish I had access to half the tools you do and had half the knowledge of how to use them too! Would LOVE to have a garage of my own like that!
Glad you appreciate the detail, I wasn't sure initially how best to write the posts, but went down the detailed route. My dad was chief engineer for a few world/british superbike teams so I grew up with lathes and Milling machines in the garage, so could turn up some simple bosses by the time I was about 10. (We even had a 2 stoke motorbike engine dyno cell in the garage at one point haha) miss that garage!

Yeah. Amazing work.
Great read and envious of your skills, tools, car.... erm, everything basically! [emoji4]
Thanks mate!.. I'm loving the colour of yours, don't see them in yellow every day!.. I'm envious that your actually getting to drive yours on track! :tongueclosed: