ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TomoTek - 182 Track Build here we come!...

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Did you sit there and hold on to a pretend steering wheel and gearstick making brum brum noises too? I would've done. Lol!
So one question for you, how come you've put the lap belt harness mounts that far apart? I'm going off what I read when I mounted my schroth harnesses and it said no more than 400mm apart ideally.

Haha obv course! everyone does that right?!.. I'm sure i posted a pic of me a while ago in the lounge doing a similar thing with my race suit on! 😂

The HTE seat width is 420mm so the gap between the harnesses is about 450mm just to ensure the belts aren't rubbing against the seat/side mounts/bolts when done up.. I'm not sure the width is as critical as long as they are as close to the hips as possible.. the side on rearward angle is most critical i think, between 45-60deg to ensure the force during a crash is inline with the harness.....
Harness_big_up6pt1259428429.gif

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Haha obv course! everyone does that right?!.. I'm sure i posted a pic of me a while ago in the lounge doing a similar thing with my race suit on! 😂

The HTE seat width is 420mm so the gap between the harnesses is about 450mm just to ensure the belts aren't rubbing against the seat/side mounts/bolts when done up.. I'm not sure the width is as critical as long as they are as close to the hips as possible.. the side on rearward angle is most critical i think, between 45-60deg to ensure the force during a crash is inline with the harness.....
Harness_big_up6pt1259428429.gif
I still make the noises for mine now! Lol! The engines never even run yet, so I've got to keep the interest alive somewhere!
This is what I used for info regards the harnesses mate - http://www.msar.co.uk/pdf/UsersGuideRacingHarness.pdf

Very informative and covers the hans stuff too. It's down to how the harness pulls down over the pelvic bone for the angles mate.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Nice one cheers @NorthloopCup thats got some good info!.. haha!, boys and there toys!, we don't change as we get older do we!... just spend more money on our toys!.. how long you been working on yours?
No worries mate. I asked @Cub. to do the sticky in the track/race car section of the forum as I really don't want to see someone get hurt from a incorrectly installed harness! It's not good karma!
Ha ha ha! Yeah tell me about it mate!

Which bit mate? The car or the engine? The cars been done ages. Quick update on what's what and where it's at now: bought the cup, stripped it, caged it and had it all painted up as I wanted it. Messed with the suspension and roll centres but kept the engine standard. Went to the ring and cracked an 8:31 with so much more scope for improvement. Swapped to ast's and decided to build a new engine. Built it and fitted it, got bored and walked away hankering to be back on 2 wheels. Back in the game again now though. Slightly. Lol!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Which bit mate? The car or the engine? The cars been done ages. Quick update on what's what and where it's at now: bought the cup, stripped it, caged it and had it all painted up as I wanted it. Messed with the suspension and roll centres but kept the engine standard. Went to the ring and cracked an 8:31 with so much more scope for improvement. Swapped to ast's and decided to build a new engine. Built it and fitted it, got bored and walked away hankering to be back on 2 wheels. Back in the game again now though. Slightly. Lol!

I've read your thread on the car, think i'm actually following it.. Looks awesome!! proper good job!.. and woww!!!! the power unit is some engine p**n!! That's my plan too, keep the engine standard, upgrade all the suspension then build an engine on the side too.. One of my best mates is an engine builder at McLaren GT and we're going to build a unit for mine.. What inlet have you got? looks the b****cks!!?.. great attention to detail on yours too.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I've read your thread on the car, think i'm actually following it.. Looks awesome!! proper good job!.. and woww!!!! the power unit is some engine p**n!! That's my plan too, keep the engine standard, upgrade all the suspension then build an engine on the side too.. One of my best mates is an engine builder at McLaren GT and we're going to build a unit for mine.. What inlet have you got? looks the b****cks!!?.. great attention to detail on yours too.
Ha ha! I never realised anyone was following it tbh! Cheers for the positive comments though. :up: The inlet is a 197 inlet manifold and the airbox is a Clio R3 maxi Evo off the 197 rally car.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Ha ha! I never realised anyone was following it tbh! Cheers for the positive comments though. :up: The inlet is a 197 inlet manifold and the airbox is a Clio R3 maxi Evo off the 197 rally car.

I'm going to seriously have a look those bits!, love a bit of carbon!.. thought it was a 197 manifold!.. think uve set the bar pretty high mate!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

I made the decision to add some front strut tower cage braces, i thought as I've made the effort with the rest of the cage I may as well keep it up and finish it properly.

Jigging the tube and plate - Making use of the holes already in the bulkhead!.
20150508_112251_zpsdg1dkcox.jpg

RH Side In!
20150508_123115_zpsiuvbfn1h.jpg

LH side In!
20150508_123053_zps9ckno7wg.jpg

Sealing off the bulkhead to ensure it is fireproof.
20150612_185645_zpsilfpujki.jpg

LH side sealed off (used the existing wiring loom hole)
20150612_185659_zpswxlu4vfa.jpg

Next Job... A and B Pillar Gussets

B Pillar Plates mocked up in card and cut out in some sheet steel i had knocking about.
20150508_145212_zpsizpgzgml.jpg

Fettled slightly and test fitted! Happy with the fit!
20150508_145642_zps3nzsj4zp.jpg

Swage hole locations marked out and centre punched all ready for swaging at work
20150508_151202_zpsulyctti5.jpg

Mock swage done to confirm sizing (all about measuring twice, cut once lol)
IMG-20150512-WA0011_zpsax3b1vpx.jpg

Swages In! Ready for welding in
IMG-20150512-WA0015_zpstfxpjt8n.jpg

All Tacked in place!
20150516_094502_zpsb7j2zncy.jpg

Both Sides Fully welded in...
20150612_122226_zpssjamkvwz.jpg

Now for the 'A' Pillars plates. I positioned the Cage as close to the body structure to increase the strength (I've seen too many 'dash dodging' cages that are about 100mm from the body with huge A pillar plates that aren't really doing much!) This was as close as I could get while still giving access to weld the the door cross etc..

20150612_122154_zpsjubfav10.jpg

Cardboard mockup and plates cut!
20150612_111924_zps8cusubey.jpg

Plates welded in!.. The cage is that close to the body I didn't require any swages in these plates! (Plus there isn't actually any room for them!)
20150612_123838_zpsu3zyc3ne.jpg

Got another 2 posts to come.. been very busy!.. done a bit more work regarding the rear subframe mounts.. Watch this space!.. Best get off the laptop though, starting to get the 'annoyed' eyes from the missus! haha

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm going to seriously have a look those bits!, love a bit of carbon!.. thought it was a 197 manifold!.. think uve set the bar pretty high mate!
Make sure your sitting down when you look at the price of the carbon airbox...........and your missus ain't there! Lol!!
I'm setting the bar high??? Not looking at your build I'm not! Lol! Keep up the good work mate. I enjoy the read and attention to detail. :up:

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

Final post on the cage fabrication haha!... I should really try to spread these out, its just hard finding the time to sort and upload all the pics.

I had seen a few guys on here that had tied in the rear axle mounts to the cage (@BIGASH for example) so decided to follow suit and stiffen up the rear axle mount structure. I plan to replace the standard rear axle mount bushes with spherical bearings to remove the lateral compliance steer that they generate, so wanted to ensure that the body structure was stiffened and could dissipate the loads into the cage to prevent distortion and damage to the body.

I started by removing the standard bolts that hold the axle mount brackets to the body...
20150508_153347_zpszpy88jaj.jpg

Did some quick measurements and plotted out the plates required.. I also had some spacers machined to ensure the plate sat level in the car (As the above picture shows the original bolts sit on two levels)
20150516_175941_zps2dmcs4qf.jpg

Plates Cut
20150516_184011_zpsxstfr6tn.jpg

Test fit and then bolted in ready to begin fabricating the brace bars to the cage
20150516_190553_zpshp1hik4o.jpg

20150516_190600_zps3dqnb5ur.jpg

Brace tubes profiled and tacked in place
20150516_231417_zpstasn4hq0.jpg

Triangulation Gussets made and profiled to the correct angles
20150517_084932_zpshsfm0xrm.jpg

All the pieces were then removed and fully welded
20150526_173400_zpstghzfhnt.jpg

20150526_180235_zpsblukhbxg.jpg

20150526_182121_zps73xgwwhr.jpg

The Plates were then re bolted in the car and fully welded to the cage and body. Then onto the other side!
20150526_201837_zpsbg5pivgl.jpg

20150526_201918_zps1sjwhusc.jpg

20150527_192007_zps1pdz4qrl.jpg

Well that's the cage DONE!!.. Just got to prep and paint the cockpit and engine bay now!

The skills you have are just ridiculous. I've said it before and i'll say it again after every update probably lol.

Love it.

I can't remember if you said it before, but where do you do the majority of this work? It seems as though you should have a huge high tech workshop with the levels of high quality being put out.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Great effort and cage p**n. This thread needs a NSFW tag.

Hahahha!.. I think we need a NSFW section.. we can throw @NorthloopCup engine thread in there too!! :wink:

The skills you have are just ridiculous. I've said it before and i'll say it again after every update probably lol.

Love it.

I can't remember if you said it before, but where do you do the majority of this work? It seems as though you should have a huge high tech workshop with the levels of high quality being put out.

Cheers Martin, appreciate it!.. Most of the work is done it my garage now to be fair... I did use a lot of the machines and fab equipment at my old work at McLaren GT... I even ended up going back to the workshop at my old 6th form college the other week (needed to drill some 16mm holes in the seat rails and didn't have a drill big enough!) .. So been using a few different workshops!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

This next post pretty much brings the build up to date with where we are today!..

With the cage finished, front end seam welded and all the unused brackets removed it was time for the laborious task of sanding and prepping the shell for paint.

Tools for the job delivered and we're ready to go!
-UPOL ETCH PRIMER
-UPOL WHITE PRIMER
-UPOL GRAVI GUARD (for the wheel arches)
20150611_194930_zpsyxuxy4xo.jpg

20150611_215325_zpsxd9mhv2g.jpg

Rear Arches wire wheeled back to bare metal (wanted to remove all the old thick underseal and clean off a bit of rust!)
20150705_131118_zpsriyfpeju.jpg

Then a coat of the etch primer followed by 2 coats of the 'gravi guard' to add the protection from stone chips.
20150705_151333_zpsrikhiir2.jpg

Same treatment for the front end... a coat of etch primer
20150613_201724_zpshgtun7ve.jpg

And 2 coats of 'gravi guard' in both the front wheel arches (I welded plates over the holes which were previously filled with rubber bungs.)
20150614_152954_zpsdq3ahxci.jpg

20150614_142028_zpsbhk3acpg.jpg

Ben (who is going halfs on the cost of the clio) getting stuck in vaccing after sanding the whole cockpit ready for some paint!! He spent the whole day in there with the orbital while i did the front end, cheers mate :wink:
20150613_201744_zpsbzlr5uqq.jpg

Etch primed all the bare metal and the whole cage...
20150614_140325_zpsca0iyzeb.jpg

De greased again and then painted with the white primer... Here's the result of a full weekends sanding and prepping!!...
20150704_230126_zps3jcrmms9.jpg

20150614_152928_zpshtmkwtwn.jpg

20150614_160100_zpsqifmxg6i.jpg

Glad to get that out the way!
Just needs a coat of top coat now!!... not sure what colour yet.. any suggestions folks?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

This next post pretty much brings the build up to date with where we are today!..

With the cage finished, front end seam welded and all the unused brackets removed it was time for the laborious task of sanding and prepping the shell for paint.

Tools for the job delivered and we're ready to go!
-UPOL ETCH PRIMER
-UPOL WHITE PRIMER
-UPOL GRAVI GUARD (for the wheel arches)
20150611_194930_zpsyxuxy4xo.jpg

20150611_215325_zpsxd9mhv2g.jpg

Rear Arches wire wheeled back to bare metal (wanted to remove all the old thick underseal and clean off a bit of rust!)
20150705_131118_zpsriyfpeju.jpg

Then a coat of the etch primer followed by 2 coats of the 'gravi guard' to add the protection from stone chips.
20150705_151333_zpsrikhiir2.jpg

Same treatment for the front end... a coat of etch primer
20150613_201724_zpshgtun7ve.jpg

And 2 coats of 'gravi guard' in both the front wheel arches (I welded plates over the holes which were previously filled with rubber bungs.)
20150614_152954_zpsdq3ahxci.jpg

20150614_142028_zpsbhk3acpg.jpg

Ben (who is going halfs on the cost of the clio) getting stuck in vaccing after sanding the whole cockpit ready for some paint!! He spent the whole day in there with the orbital while i did the front end, cheers mate :wink:
20150613_201744_zpsbzlr5uqq.jpg

Etch primed all the bare metal and the whole cage...
20150614_140325_zpsca0iyzeb.jpg

De greased again and then painted with the white primer... Here's the result of a full weekends sanding and prepping!!...
20150704_230126_zps3jcrmms9.jpg

20150614_152928_zpshtmkwtwn.jpg

20150614_160100_zpsqifmxg6i.jpg

Glad to get that out the way!
Just needs a coat of top coat now!!... not sure what colour yet.. any suggestions folks?
Pink. Makes the boys wink! Flol!

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I've just been through the whole thread and am now glad it's quiet at work tonight!

Amazing level of detail and the quality of the work is second to none!

simons-d

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy 435 & 194
more good stuff... it keeps coming. Loads of people enjoy this thred. Nice to see a job done properly.

White engine bay - good reasons why everybody does 'em white! gun metal inside soons good...

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
I've just been through the whole thread and am now glad it's quiet at work tonight!

Amazing level of detail and the quality of the work is second to none!
Cheers mate, I get pic happy sometimes so its a pretty long thread already!.. good effort for getting through it all!

more good stuff... it keeps coming. Loads of people enjoy this thred. Nice to see a job done properly.

White engine bay - good reasons why everybody does 'em white! gun metal inside soons good...

Glad people are enjoying it, makes all the effort of getting the pics up worth while.. I think the plan is to go with gun metal inside.. still not 100% on engine bay colour yet.. I hear the point about seeing leaks etc, but kinda thinking just the same as inside as I'll have already mixed up some paint for inside (using proper spray gun) so it will be easier to do it all in one shot.

Awesome work, attention to detail is outstanding
Thanks @Turbo steve

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

AST's have arrived, Curtis was a pleasure to deal with. He sorted them out pretty quickly and i'm mega happy with them.. The spec we chose was:

AST 5100 - 1 Way (ACU-RS2001S)
Front Spring Rate: 90Nm
Rear Spring Rate: 110Nm

20150716_173937_zps2jwmesm2.jpg

20150716_173925_zpsjqsfafgj.jpg

20150716_174019_zpsengz3o54.jpg

20150716_174025_zpsvtxgvm8p.jpg

20150716_173920_zpshrsvmjjb.jpg

20150716_174010_zps2lyenhjm.jpg

All the tools required to adjust the dampers
20150716_173057_zpsjfujcr0f.jpg

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

AST's have arrived, Curtis was a pleasure to deal with. He sorted them out pretty quickly and i'm mega happy with them.. The spec we chose was:

AST 5100 - 1 Way (ACU-RS2001S)
Front Spring Rate: 90Nm
Rear Spring Rate: 110Nm

20150716_173937_zps2jwmesm2.jpg

20150716_173925_zpsjqsfafgj.jpg

20150716_174019_zpsengz3o54.jpg

20150716_174025_zpsvtxgvm8p.jpg

20150716_173920_zpshrsvmjjb.jpg

20150716_174010_zps2lyenhjm.jpg
You've done well there then mate with Curtis! He's normally a pain to deal with and promises the world and delivers, erm, nothing. Well that's not strictly true, he does deliver its just normally 3 months after he originally promised! Lol

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
I've read that a few times from other peoples threads. Fortunately for me I had a pretty happy experience.... I had a long chat with him to discuss spring rates, bump rubbers and packer gaps etc which was really helpful, One of my mates is good friends with Josh Cook 'cooksport' who did a lot of testing for Curtis, so we we're discussing that and what spring rates were best etc etc... Had to wait a few weeks for them to be built in the Netherlands with the spec I wanted and those spring rates.. Which is a pretty reasonable lead time for dampers in my experience.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I've read that a few times from other peoples threads. Fortunately for me I had a pretty happy experience.... I had a long chat with him to discuss spring rates, bump rubbers and packer gaps etc which was really helpful, One of my mates is good friends with Josh Cook 'cooksport' who did a lot of testing for Curtis, so we we're discussing that and what spring rates were best etc etc... Had to wait a few weeks for them to be built in the Netherlands with the spec I wanted and those spring rates.. Which is a pretty reasonable lead time for dampers in my experience.
Yeah you definitely struck it lucky then mate. It's a shame he's a pain to deal with at times, because he's a genuinely nice bloke.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah you definitely struck it lucky then mate. It's a shame he's a pain to deal with at times, because he's a genuinely nice bloke.

I'll have to wait for the first rebuild to see if i have a similar experience or not.. fingers crossed I do!...

Oh yeah.. FYI the clios history: It was originally owned by one of my bezzie mates brothers (Stephen Seagrave) who then sold it to Dan McAuliffe (who I went on a trip to the nurburgring with a couple of years ago).. Do you know him?

Last edited:

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Looking great.

Don't suppose you can measure what size the C-Spanner is for me as I need to get one :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'll have to wait for the first rebuild to see if i have a similar experience or not.. fingers crossed I do!...

Oh yeah.. FYI the clios history: It was originally owned by one of my bezzie mates brothers (Stephen Seagrave) who then sold it to Dan McAuliffe (who I went on a trip to the nurburgring with a couple of years ago).. Do you know him?
Name doesn't ring a bell? Does he know me?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Haha.. I remember seeing something about northloop on his youtube, I think I have just confused you with the trackday company?! I just assumed as you do.. never mind :up:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Easy mistake to make then, haha.. You made anymore progress with the engine?
Have you not seen my updates?! Lol! Yeah done a few more bits and pieces to it. Getting closer now!

Edit: northloop forum is still on the go!! Last time I went on there though there was a few that were a bit up their own arse. Shame really as there seemed to be some nice people too. It just put me off because of the bell ends.