ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy No.120

Ex 182 owner
Bit of maintenance today. Well not by me but poped round to Gary Burnett in Warrington, who sorted me out. New undercar brake lines,horseshoe clips, rear goodridge stainless hoses from @George@RTR_Parts and new rear beam lines with flexy's.
Was round at Gar's the previous week to have the braided lines fitted. One look from him, (which i had guessed would be the case hence not doing them myself) that attempting to undo the lines would dissintergrate them. So thats one less thing to worry about come mot time. TBH i was suprised that they passed last time round, its only been 6 months.

Last week Gary also fitted me a new gear pin bush which Mick had suggested might be a bit loose.

I have now however decided that i dont really feel the need for the big brembo converstion. So it will be back to George for the other half of the whole kit i should have bought in the first place.... doh.

Ex 182 owner
Minor job today. New gear gaitor. Not sure when the clip died on the old one but it's a cheap fix.

Ex 182 owner
Bit of sunny so belt clening attempt no.2
Jet wash was good last time as they were rigid with filth but didnt get into he stubborn stuff. So bucket method this time.

C24728F1-66F8-4519-A458-D009908A6DC8_zpshz7egv4n.jpg

42AFE6FE-A0C2-40DA-AC12-FC05ECE41006_zpsagm2agb6.jpg

Much cleaner all ready. Just somthing else to keep on top of.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Was one of the first things I did to my trophy. Massive improvement. Always makes you wonder how filthy the dark coloured ones are as you can see the dirt!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Was one of the first things I did to my trophy. Massive improvement. Always makes you wonder how filthy the dark coloured ones are as you can see the dirt!
FLOL, first thing I did on mine was take them out :smile:

Cars looking great as usual mate, keep it up :up:

Ex 182 owner
Finally found a bit of time to get the brembos milled down to @chris powell 280mm spec.
Using 283mm bells and rotas and currently M1144 pads.
Inital mock up on spare hubs looks good with no fouling.

D8CACA8D-A00F-4485-87C9-C120313021FC_zpsutlzjyah.jpg

Next is to look at exactly what size spacer is needed for Trophy et45 16" speedlines. Too many different opinions online on spacers plus I'm not using standard discs so best just to have a look on the spare hubs.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Like the bell and rotar setup as well as the Brembo's :up: How much in mm have you taken off the Brembo's to fit the 280 brackets as I've gone for a 283mm rotar as well ?

Ex 182 owner
HIi @green. i took the standard 5mm. rather than worring about the 1.5mm less it technically is. Also i figured at a push it would then still run 280mm standard discs if need be. I havent fully torqued everything up but its not looking like it will catching on the bell and currently has a nice bit of disc lip at the top. you could probaly only take 3.5mm off and be fine.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Thanks for that :up: Have you gone for the 280mm brackets so you can fit 15" wheels ?
I've got some calipers and 283mm rotors that need to go under 15" wheels. I was thinking of getting 6-7mm machined off the calipers!! Think I'll stick with the 5mm and go from there.
Hope it goes well for you once it's all torqued up.

Ex 182 owner
Yeah wanted the option to possibly run winter wheels on 15" at some point. However the rota setup came up for sale so went for it.

if you take 7mm off your pad will be getting close to the bell on the inside. your disc internaly closer to the caliper as well. plus you will have a fair bit of disc sticking over the pad at the end. No idea how much room you would have for all that.

Clio trophy
Just had a good read through your thread and you've pretty much done everything I've got planned for my trophy,great looking car,were the solid engine mounts worthwhile?

Ex 182 owner
I like them but TBH.. Never driven a 182 with brand new standard ones. Mine is also a Weekend car. I would find the mounts/engine mounts/powerflex ect all too much for a daily. It's does rattle a bit ;)

Ex 182 owner
Bit of testing today.. @SharkyUK @green for your interest.

Nicked a wheel of the car. These are genuine renault trophy ET45's.
First test face down. On my 280mm setup on this wheel the weights cleared with no issues. I can see on 300mm kits this might become more of a problem.

471CB162-DA91-45D7-B722-346910E48531_zps3mosrwvu.jpg

It was however obvious that the assembly was sitting on the blades of wheel rather than floating above it. This was confrimed when i moved everything to the bench with the slightest of dirt marks on the brembos. and further confirmed with the wheel on. i could see dailight between the wheel and the bell on the insde but couldnt get it in focus on the camera.

59CDA6CE-6510-49A5-83A9-5CBB61B5DCCE_zpsmi5tp0xh.jpg

42DDBCFA-74FF-4004-92FE-3C054EBCE77B_zpsi8jivqew.jpg

So first stop was trying some 5mm ish spacers. Not the most perfect things but some MTBs headset spacers are cheap and simple.

04197ECD-71F5-4ACB-9509-A8E90146BD20_zpskebktlww.jpg

Once again it looked like the wheel was touching the brmebos and the slightest attempt to spin the wheels wouldnt have it.

96330BAC-24C3-4703-9540-776A2BAC9AA7_zpsnncbrscw.jpg

Moved onto 10mm spacers and bingo... space. I would judge this to be about 4mm. however with a massive pinch of salt as nothing is tightened up and i doubt the mtbs spacers are the most perfectly made items.

6DA218F6-5304-4F61-BCB3-A8B9F49701BD_zps1tsnudl9.jpg

The hub left over above the bell is around 13.5mm. so a 10mm spacer only leaves 3.5mm of lip to help you get your wheel on. I've not made my mind up about studs so i think my only option is to go for either a set of resparyed cup turinis and some 5mm (11.5mm effective difference) spacers or 15mm hub centrics with longer bolts.

200179FE-E845-4FDC-A2E4-C781D419C6E3_zpsn6grtucf.jpg

decisions..

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the info / pics, Chris. I've got the 300mm kit but this is still useful to see and for getting a feel for how tight it might be in there. Thanks :)

Ex 182 owner
So freash from Germany so Eibach 15mm hubcentrics. The Eibach ones left plenty of space on the hub flange so sit flat.

1A60214B-D8AA-4122-B4D7-CD68CB186D75_zpstuotil5x.jpg

I would guess you could have them shaved down to be 13mm if I really wanted before the lip of the flange fouled the inside of the spacer.

9A4F1A6D-974E-48BC-8476-16E48EF1FF65_zps1ewc9zbh.jpg

Some longer bolts and the wheel is on the test rig. Again you can see why 300mm kit must get close to the wheel weights.

F0028316-D49F-4B14-A02F-386120F9D17B_zpsiitrheox.jpg

I would guess with my setup/280mm brackets with 5mm shaved off the brembos. That there is 10mm space between the wheel spokes. Which would tie up with the 5mm spacers touching. and the 10mm spacers having around 5-6mm of clearance.

... nearly there but thats all for today, tomorrow perhaps

Ex 182 owner
cheers @RMDavis if i wasnt stopping by yours on the way to work on monday evening, I know i would have some brembos on this weekend ;)

Hope your gearbox is nearing the car.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
cheers @RMDavis if i wasnt stopping by yours on the way to work on monday evening, I know i would have some brembos on this weekend ;)

Hope your gearbox is nearing the car.
Sorry bud! [emoji6]

Well if all goes well tomorrow, mine should be all up and running. So you might even see the old girl, in the metal!

Ex 182 owner
Well after 5 weeks away and a lot of thinking.. She went up for sale. New screaming bundle of joy means my tinker time is going to be massively limited more than it was. Weekend drives will likely involve a baby seat. The Trophy is ace fun but only when on the edge. Crusing around in a clio is something I did 20 years ago. So the options were use it even less or sell. So she was sold. Had a great time with her even if it was limited with the constant tinkering, upgarding and a fecked back..

I know she is going to a very very good 120 home..

4590AB2B-D779-418B-A043-0F13464C613F_zpsi2don03r.jpg

New weekend fun awaits..
F63BA2A2-1F4D-4265-AD02-1B4E8DA2D605_zpsweor9oox.jpg

... This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off. ...