ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do you reckon would happen if....

i got a 2litre 172 lump and stuck it in my 1.6 16v, i relise it wudnt be the same cos u dont have all the ova bits but... i bet itd be a whole lot cheaper than 10k! dont wanna get flamed for being a mug or nething, im just interested, can it be done?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

yes it can be done.

but you would need to uprate your brakes and someother parts

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

so u took ur engine out, put the 172 in, THEN realise it wouldnt fit? Wouldnt it have been better 2 make sure it fitted first?

yea obviously lol :) im just seeing wot people think, im assuming it wud fit but hey i duno, im not gonna take engine out then see, i wonder if u did it, how different it wud be performance wise from an actual 172

Quote: Originally posted by Mitsi on 03 November 2003

so u took ur engine out, put the 172 in, THEN realise it wouldnt fit? Wouldnt it have been better 2 make sure it fitted first?
eh!?!?!?!?! :confused:

yea but surely going from a 120 ish BHP enigine to a 172 BHP engine, is going to be a fair bit faster, do doors rly make all that difference?

Structure and weight difference will be noticeable. Think about it..sport models dont have sunroofs so imagine what the extra doors do.

-Rob

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 03 November 2003

Structure and weight difference will be noticeable. Think about it..sport models dont have sunroofs so imagine what the extra doors do.

-Rob

Yes they do! Well at least over here they do...I almost bought a Mk1 172 with sunroof.

I thought the 1.6 RXE was a 3dr... Well at least they are over here.

I reckon the 172 lump would fit fine, but youd need everything else that goes with it, ECU, Stronger suspension, bigger brakes, different offset wheels (for that added width in the track).

5 door cars are more flexible and less rigid than 3 door versions (which is why the better sporty cars are coupes)

hmmmm my 1.6 rxe is defently 5 door, heh but id of thought that th1 1.6 (16v) rxe wud be the clio one below the 172 is that right?

yeah your right it would be hard work, but can you imagine being at the lights next to a ctr and when you pull off they hear a loud woosh from your dump valve, they would be pretty shocked to see a clio with a turbo:D

it would be worth it (if funds alow, obviously)