ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wrote off a 197 in 30 mins of ownership

182FF with cup packs
^for this thread to prove that we'd need to know if he's a young driver 1st tbh. Any driver who thinks he's the dogs b****cks is goin to end up in smashes doesn't matter how old they are...

True, but us oldies already got rid of the "watch this" moments ;), and hopefully we took notice of them.

Monaco RS Clio 172
glad someone said it

had my 172 when I was 19, 20 now and still not took the biscuit in it

easy to make sweeping generalisations about young drivers. part the reason we stand no chance getting nice cars at a young age.

I agree a certain degree of responsibility is required to own a faster car at a young age, but a test of some sort, rather than being raped by insurance would be nice.

09 GIXXER 750!!!
Im not !! road traffic stats prove it though look it up....Not all young drivers are bad but I bet he is!!

09 GIXXER 750!!!
It was the same for me when I was young my XR2 cost me 2 grand to insure at 19..So I know how you feel!! If you want a nice motor work hard for it which im sure you all do!

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
FAIL.

The worst thing I've ever done in my 2 years of driving is nudge the garden wall in my first car. I'm 19 though - many years to do worse!

RB 200 Cup!
My mate just texted me that one of his mates bought a 197 today and after owning it for no more that 30mins and only 9miles on the clock, he wrote it off :eek:

It was a 197 in white with a carbon fibre defussor, black wheels. would this be the cup version?

what a prat!

gutted

Jetta Diesel (BOOO!!!)
Well I suppose there is always the opportunity to try harder next time. 30 Mins Seriously.

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
You know he would have been driving it as though he was some sort of Colin Mcrae wanna be lol. I wouldn't mind, but the 197 is FWD FFS pmsl. God knows what he would have done to a RWD car thats got no traction control like my TF lol. Which I have had some oversteer fun in nearly everytime it rains :) ftw

a burnt one
You know he would have been driving it as though he was some sort of Colin Mcrae wanna be lol. I wouldn't mind, but the 197 is FWD FFS pmsl. God knows what he would have done to a RWD car thats got no traction control like my TF lol. Which I have had some oversteer fun in nearly everytime it rains :) ftw

I pretty much doubt anybody wants to be in Colin Mcrae's shoes.

Suzuki Swift Sport
It is unlucky - but I thought the 197 R27 I had was one of the most forgiving and progressive cars I have driven on the limit - having said that nothing can re write the laws of physics!

tiTTy & SV650
some young tube told me his mate wrote off a 197 too, said didnt handle at all and he'd even 'upgraded' the tyres to Toyos.

chump

MKIII 138
BTW it astounds me on this site which is meant to be about car enthusiats that nobody in 5 pages has mentioned the obvious

new cars have to be driven a decent ammount of milege for the new tyres to be scrubed in, no doubt he drove fast and its stupid for anyone to do this wether they have been on cliosport for 3years or not but surley a factor on our oil laden roundabouts is going to be the new tyres ????

also as for laughing at people misfortunes isnt anything new in this world im suprised you do this to someone who has for all we know just missed serious injury or death, there are people on here who have lost loved ones from car accidents.

R27, JCW GP, M4, M2
BTW it astounds me on this site which is meant to be about car enthusiats that nobody in 5 pages has mentioned the obvious

new cars have to be driven a decent ammount of milege for the new tyres to be scrubed in, no doubt he drove fast and its stupid for anyone to do this wether they have been on cliosport for 3years or not but surley a factor on our oil laden roundabouts is going to be the new tyres ????

also as for laughing at people misfortunes isnt anything new in this world im suprised you do this to someone who has for all we know just missed serious injury or death, there are people on here who have lost loved ones from car accidents.

+1

Agreed

2002 Cup172
+2now

Agreed

I must say some of us have done it and some of us haven't, but most people get a new car and thrash it straight away. It's the adrenaline and the New Toy thing.
When i got my cup off my mate I already new how it went from being a passenger but i still went out and hammered it.
Proceeding to hammer out the ton down by Lihou island (in Guernsey) to see how it felt (my car before cup 172 was a 2.5v6 ST24 Mondeo) and what the mid range pull was like some silly old granny thought it would be a good idea to park her car in the middle of the road and take a few photo's (Dam Tourists) and any way i stamped on the big old no go pedal and had instant lock up (Seat firmly gripped by buttocks by this point) with a second stamp brought it to a nice stop safely.

This is on roads that i have seen almost daily for my whole life and drinven on daily on motor bikes (also have a Ducati 748) and Cars, but nothing and no amount of training of experience can control every situation. There is also the fact of other road users they could also be the cause.

The first day of having my car taught me one thing and that was fit better brakes (not that standards are bad) but it made me think i dont want that happening again. That night KTR discs and pads were ordered and by the end of the third day of owning it brakes were on and had to drive sensibly-ish so not to glaze discs and chew the pads.

Maybe the poor guy who in this case wasn't as lucky as me had and there could of been something he could not control. And in all you can cause a car to be a to written off with out even damage the exterior at all. Speed infact dont even need to be a factor. So though in some cases it may be funny (Which it is, in the if you dont laugh you'll cry way) nobody can have a really good crack at the bloke till we have all the facts.

Soooooooooo anybody out there with please post more info and pics of our newly deceased buddy and pal.

R.I.P

Clio 197
with
Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser
:cry:

Though you only travelled 8 miles your short and tragic lifetime you will always be remembered for making a large impact!

RS RIP
+1

I cant understand the mentality on here sometimes!

+ 2 , feel bad for the kid. He will never do something like this again, hard way to learn.

But with this one below i could'nt help laughing a little..

R.I.P

Clio 197
with
Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser
:cry:

Though you only travelled 8 miles your short and tragic lifetime you will always be remembered for making a large impact

clio 197 cup

like me and jimbo666

1 wheel spin/ handbrake turn ( which no doubt he had done numerous times before crashing) Would scrub off the workshop seal...

TTRS & V50
Ok, i drive this road all the while and Camden Renault in Northampton is literally 10 mins up the A45 to Wellingborough, the road is a dual carraige way. How the f**k did he crash on this road is beyond me ? You can do a ton + from Camden Renault to Wellingborough and shouldn't have a problem, this guy is an absolute muppet, ill look out for a hole in the hedge next time i go Wellingborough.

M135i
the thing to bare in mind is whether it is a straight bit of road or a corner/R.A, we dont know the exact circs surrounding this. so i think its wrong to jump to conclusions.

Golf R

there's also the fact that when i collected my R27 the tyre pressures were about 6psi over what they should be... when it went in for warrenty work it always came back with over inflated tyres too....

all these posts and still no pictures though

i'm still confused by this carbon fibre diffuser... renault dont supply one and the car was apparently brand new...

MKIII 138
there's also the fact that when i collected my R27 the tyre pressures were about 6psi over what they should be... when it went in for warrenty work it always came back with over inflated tyres too....

all these posts and still no pictures though

so many factors, and sure it could be and possibly was wreckless driving but there is no need to laugh even if the guy was driving bad its a harsh lesson to learn that some never come back from.

TTRS & V50
the thing to bare in mind is whether it is a straight bit of road or a corner/R.A, we dont know the exact circs surrounding this. so i think its wrong to jump to conclusions.

Seeing as you live in Northampton you know its a dual carraiage way with no corners, except sweeping ones, capable of 100mph +..

Went past it today and couldn't see any places that it could crash, id like to know what exactly happened.

White clique
and pics yet?

I'm cynical tbh this happened.

+ 0.5 - i'd like to think its not a made up story, but the lack of evidence and the carbon diffuser point by theduck does suggest something rather extraordinary... :coffee:

I would still be keen to see pics - and if it is true I hope the bloke wasn't badly hurt.