ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet Another Clio 172 Cup Road/Track (no 3)

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Are you driving with the brakes on? It took a good 20 minutes and brands before any discernible loss of brake performance and even then, we are only talking about having to brake a couple of metres earlier.

Cup In bits
Yes I was Mike is that not normal? ;)

I'm not saying they're totally faded after 2 miles but they're lacking in performance, they just don't offer a consistent pedal that I look for and if i was to brake where I wanted every corner they would be dead.

Tenner bets I need new discs and pads after about 2 hours on Saturday which ain't right. I'm not going to say anymore as I have been through this in all my project threads, standard callipers just are not suitable for pushing on 'IMO'

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Fair enough. I guess we are all different drivers with different sensitivities to these things.

Perhaps I still find myself comparing it to when I first got the car - cheap motorfactor pads, crap discs and old fluid where I'd literally lose the pedal after 2 miles of hard driving.

By comparison, the DS2500s, ATE Super and braided lines seem awesome.

I plan on getting some better discs, more aggressive pads and some brake cooling before my next track day, though.

Cup In bits
Yeah mike, I don't know if you do any tracks with hairpins from 100mph, it soon does the brakes in. Hopefully the fogs out and diffuser plates are enough so I can fully enjoy the day.

Lancia Integrale
Cambelt is on wrong way- the writing should be other way ;) (can't remember if the belts on 172's are direction or not though)

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Ive never had bother with brake fade at knockhill unless I've stayed out for over 25 min normally boil the power steering before that , 5 track days later and I'm still on the same front discs and pads.

Cup In bits
Today was a total c**t, just sat down now :sleepy:

Last night i tried my track wheels with semis fitted only for them to catch on the rear shock and on the adjuster rings on the front.... Nightmare. I had some 10mm spacers knocking about but they need the hub spigots ground down.

Today...... So I thought I was only fitting spacers, longer bolts and washing both the cars before getting the Clio on the trailer. It turned when I went to fit the spacers and the bolts I had were 15mm too long :mad: .

So I looked out my spare cup racer hubs and started to rob the studs and nuts from them. Every single one except 3 were an absolute nightmare to come out, locked nuts wouldn't touch them, heat had little effect so I cracked out the stud extractor. The extractor galls the threads a bit so you need to chase them ALL after removing them.

Anyway finally got that done and I go to collect the trailer to find the handbrake had been left on (stupid f**king c**ting boy that borrowed it last) and the brakes were locked solid, tried to drag it, no luck, battered the hubs with wood and a hammer, no luck. Finally I went to take it for a run and hope it freed, luckily it did 500 metres down the road after all that f**king about. Just as well, I was seconds away from hunting down the last guy to use it and murder him.

In between all that I washed both cars, repaired my drivers mat, fitted the hose and finishers for the breather tank.

Spigot ground down on all four wheels.

4C3C3E77-991E-41E7-8925-F45C598F3542_zpspm41zymg.jpg

Disk locking bolts removed as the spacers wouldn't sit flush.

A954BB9D-B7BB-4C9C-900F-3D7D757FC29E_zpsgfeeyeeh.jpg

All four corners complete, I had to rob 4x PMS studs from the race car as two studs were too galled and the other two refused to come out. I'm now rocking 12x cup racer and 4 x PMS studs.

C3F32F8E-7F33-41F5-A870-4023256B6034_zpsnwxtnsdo.jpg

The drivers matt was looking tatty and started to lift on the heel pad.

3328A701-DFE5-4D94-AF1A-5003232DEC63_zpsgrzumhgb.jpg

Cleaned and some web tack sprayed on.

33225897-FA5C-4535-8560-158835780218_zpsiokpvjfh.jpg

Finished, its not perfect but it will save me dragging the mat around with my heel.

D27465DA-D212-4927-BFF0-9D0303C3AA8B_zpsfsf0pfzz.jpg

Received the hose finishers and silicone hose today, nothing like cutting it fine.

0C7B2921-3215-477A-9215-888CCB11DFB1_zpsiwokwa5l.jpg

Fitted.

2C2759B2-D8B2-4A9D-998E-E547BF42BC70_zpsbdtdsutk.jpg

Both cars fuelled, pressures set, wheels torqued and packed with tools and fluids.

D6F0CF2F-EC34-4E23-85C1-93895D597173_zpsf9a1fjnv.jpg

A few :cheers:needed after that.........

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Cambelt is on wrong way- the writing should be other way ;) (can't remember if the belts on 172's are direction or not though)

So it is ;). I have never seen directions on any of the belts yet, only seen gates and genuine though.

Ive never had bother with brake fade at knockhill unless I've stayed out for over 25 min normally boil the power steering before that , 5 track days later and I'm still on the same front discs and pads.

Your pedal never gets deeper and deeper the more you drive? I don't like that in a pedal, I like it to be right there when you want it. I'm sorry but nobody will convince me these single piston callipers are up to it. You just have to look at most of the guys racing them now, they are all upgrading except a few.

Are you back from Houston, You coming down tomorrow for a pax lap?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Got back today :)
I was going to fire up in the morning to try and buy some tyres for my 2118's ready for next week, but Im going out to Edinburgh with the Mrs now.

172 Cup (Track)
Top work as ever lad! Looking minted!

time you hoping to be at the hill? We are going up early for the crack, theres a bike trackday on beforehand. Could get a bit crack too.

Also, how much fuel do you take for a 4hr open pit? 55quid of Optimax be enough if my car lasts all day!? :)

Cup In bits
Got back today :)
I was going to fire up in the morning to try and buy some tyres for my 2118's ready for next week, but Im going out to Edinburgh with the Mrs now.

Are you wanting some part worn 15" a048-r? I could bring a set down.

Top work as ever lad! Looking minted!
H, my mat
time you hoping to be at the hill? We are going up early for the crack, theres a bike trackday on beforehand. Could get a bit crack too.

Also, how much fuel do you take for a 4hr open pit? 55quid of Optimax be enough if my car lasts all day!? :)

Cheers, if it doesn't behave tomorrow expect my toys to be thrown well clear of the pram.

Plan to be there around 10:30 ish Gaz, got a few mates going down too in their Westfield, Sapphire, FRS.

I will rinse a full tank and a 25 litre jerry can pretty easy.

172 Cup (Track)
Are you wanting some part worn 15" a048-r? I could bring a set down.

Cheers, if it doesn't behave tomorrow expect my toys to be thrown well clear of the pram.

Plan to be there around 10:30 ish Gaz, got a few mates going down too in their Westfield, Sapphire, FRS.

I will rinse a full tank and a 25 litre jerry can pretty easy.

Nice one, prob catch up with you before hand then. In the mean time i better go get a 2.nd jerry can! :O

Cup In bits
Well today was pretty poop for me, despite breaking my PB lap after lap the car just wasn't confidence inspiring to drive. Between the brakes going off after circa 5-6 laps, my bad driving at times, studs working their way loose at the hub a few times, the exhaust and box knocking like a c**t when on and off the accelerator (standard g/box mounts and a vibratechnics engine mount is not a good combination) and trying to find a good balance with the damping/tyres it wasn't the most consistent of days but fun was had at times when people would get out your way, a lot of straight line heros I thought.

@Gaz-m and your pal (I forgot his username) nice to meet you's and your car went very well Gaz and it surprised me in the first session when I was two's up. Your car is well turned out too. Shame your pals had issues.

Here's my banzai lap or the beginnings before being black flagged. Get your POV video up haha. Brakes were the flavour of the day it seamed, that wasn't the first time I almost became a feature at the hairpin because of them. Not much other good footage that wasn't spoiled by traffic or I simply forgot to turn on the camera. I will put up an edited version with the odd half decent sets of laps thrown together.

[video=youtube_share;wTiTvFD0nSU]http://youtu.be/wTiTvFD0nSU[/video]

On the repair list.

Both box mounts need looking at and the exhaust lowered along its length, engine position adjusted.
N/S CV boot has a nick in it and is weaping.
Remove, clean, inspect and refit the studs.
I need to run a data log on the AFR's and get it checked over, I'm pretty sure its running rich with too much backfiring on over run at times. Whether that's the map or the lambda causing that is yet to be seen.

A few of my best laps, a lot more to come from that car with more testing and a fresh set of semis, I'm quite impressed with the range of damping adjustment on the Spax coilovers tbh.

AFD9F964-DACD-4C2D-AD15-EFA71B020167_zpss2tf5nvu.png

Cup In bits
PB is great considering it's not your race car and with huge potential too..

Yeah its good I was just underwhelmed by the day, mostly to do with the people on track and being black flagged for clipping a cone that was basically on the track and then for spinning.

Plenty of things to play with though for next time :)

172 Cup (Track)
Aye good meeting you Morgan (and your mate). I was surprised my car had the straight line speed to match yours too, seemed no different when you were on your own either, but thanks to your ambitious entry and farming at the first corner we never got to find out properly. :rasp:

Unfortunately my GoPro has recorded very little for some reason, inc running out of battery. Piece of sh1t for the money. Although it appeared to be recording when you had your off infront of me, i have no recording of it im afraid!! Also its coming up very low quality on YT. Pissed off with the thing.

your video says its private... Get yours uploaded from our earlier blast!??

Tempted next weekend?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Sounds like you had an interesting day. Well done on the PB and unlucky with the issues but seen as its your first TD in this car, I'm sure some issues were to be expected.

Ive dowt you'll have them sorted by your next TD.

Cup In bits
Aye good meeting you Morgan (and your mate). I was surprised my car had the straight line speed to match yours too, seemed no different when you were on your own either, but thanks to your ambitious entry and farming at the first corner we never got to find out properly. :rasp:

Unfortunately my GoPro has recorded very little for some reason, inc running out of battery. Piece of sh1t for the money. Although it appeared to be recording when you had your off infront of me, i have no recording of it im afraid!! Also its coming up very low quality on YT. Pissed off with the thing.

your video says its private... Get yours uploaded from our earlier blast!??

Tempted next weekend?

Yup its definitely a nippy one, mine seemed to have the legs on the straights when I was on my own, you can just see you disappearing in the mirror in that video I uploaded but not a massive amount in it.

They can be fiddly c**ts of things , you can choose what quality it uploads to YT, don't choose 1080p or the one below it as it takes a lifetime for me and the quality isn't needed really.

I'll change it and upload anything I have of you, I only recorded about 30 mins of footage though, my battery run out after 5 mins initially.

Yes, yes I am haha. A lot on though so I'll see.

Sounds like you had an interesting day. Well done on the PB and unlucky with the issues but seen as its your first TD in this car, I'm sure some issues were to be expected.

Ive dowt you'll have them sorted by your next TD.

Yeah its to be expected I suppose and I kinda knew the brakes were going to be crap going into it but the thought of a wheel coming off down Duffus or at the hairpin properly slows you down haha.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Bet you it does! I had a similar issue going into the hairpin but was down to the powder coating on the wheel against the hub heating up and melting. Not a good feeling.

hopefully see you guys soon(ish) on track! Lol

Cup In bits
Yeah powder coat can be deadly on the mating face and taper for the bolts.

Thats that small fail video public now. You can see I don't get 3rd and the lack of retardation makes me jump onto the brakes with the lack of confidence in them causing a lock up.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
All seems to be going a bit wrong in that video for you mate, but those lap times look quite good from what I remember of other times Ive seen for knockhill so it must have been ok on other laps Im guessing :)

Nice you got it all done in time and got out there, too many people spend forever building these cars rather than getting some use out of them!

172 Cup (Track)
Guess what, i do have an onboard following you at the same point! Currently uploading on GoPro studio and of much better quality!

What should i upload as, 720p or something?

Watching that video, sounds like you never got on the power to pull it round? Good video yet again!

Im hoping to sort gearbox out and hopefully get on next weekend for more Clio Sport!! :D

Cup In bits
I agree the Spax collies are ok, I had to uprate the rear springs on mine though

Great vid ;)

Yeah they're alright, not sure how long they would last mind you.

No surprise to see you venturing off track! Times look good, look forward to seeing you next week  you better go!!

Eh, pot kettle. You know the score.

All seems to be going a bit wrong in that video for you mate, but those lap times look quite good from what I remember of other times Ive seen for knockhill so it must have been ok on other laps Im guessing :)

Nice you got it all done in time and got out there, too many people spend forever building these cars rather than getting some use out of them!

Yeah that was just the worst of the driving from the day, with Gaz up my chuff I was pushing a bit too hard after the 10 or so laps I had already done. There is better vids.

62's are mediocre tbh, the car was never on the right setup with the track clear. More to come from some very small tweeks.

What lap timing app is that? Looks decent!

Its Harry's lap timer, its brilliant and does data overlays on the videos, lap to lap overlays and all sorts of graphs.

Guess what, i do have an onboard following you at the same point! Currently uploading on GoPro studio and of much better quality!

What should i upload as, 720p or something?

Watching that video, sounds like you never got on the power to pull it round? Good video yet again!

Im hoping to sort gearbox out and hopefully get on next weekend for more Clio Sport!! :D

Good stuff, 720p is enough, I usually do 540p for a longer video iirc.

Aye your right, I never do get on the power when it goes too much at Duffus, you just extend your stopping time and end up in the 'marsh'. I have been on there before and it comes up to your sills when its been raining haha.

Last edited:
  172 Cup (Track)
According to my laptimer my best lap was 1.05 (although i doubt there was actually a complete clear lap!) so either yours is wrong or mine is! Id more suspect yours as a 1.02 is pretty quick going by Trackscotland times?

Ive stupidly let it upload a 17min video on its own Youtube upload suggested quality. About 20mins and its loaded 15%! Bloody hell!

When will you decide about next weekend? Potential for lots of fun with us all out together! :race:

Cup In bits
According to my laptimer my best lap was 1.05 (although i doubt there was actually a complete clear lap!) so either yours is wrong or mine is! Id more suspect yours as a 1.02 is pretty quick going by Trackscotland times?

Ive stupidly let it upload a 17min video on its own Youtube upload suggested quality. About 20mins and its loaded 15%! Bloody hell!

When will you decide about next weekend? Potential for lots of fun with us all out together! :race:

I think Harry's lap timer is fairly accurate. Remember we never had a run that lasted more than 3 corners (whey) when I was by myself. The Minis dip into the 62's but that's corner commitment (cutting) more than anything, you would have probably seen the straight line difference between you and them. I'm sure I had on my grey wheels first thing when you went past me though right?

Im sure 15 min is the max unless you have an upgraded account? It will cancel near the end of uploading.

The next couple of days mate, I have a Civic engine to do and a heap of other bits before I get onto my own.

Cup In bits
Here it is. http://youtu.be/I49_ICJonBA

Looks like loads of Clios for next weekend, we both need to do some overtime then mate!! :O

Aye I will be a busy boy for sure anyway.

Morgan, did you o into duffas with no power on? That's wild the way you went off there.

Looks like you and Gaz were having fun though!

Yeah I think I held onto the brakes a bit too long, I was experimenting with holding onto 4th until Mcintyres. I would usually get on the power a bit earlier but I was playing with damping and pressures all day so it wasn't the most predictable or familiar.

I'm not taking anything away from you Gaz btw, your handy as feck in your cup. Your car sounds powerful (a good one) in the vid if you know what I mean.

Cup In bits
A few rubbish pics and a video from the the TD on Sat, one more video to come when it uploads.

Fitted a sun strip in a rush on the morning of the TD to keep the low sun out the car.

495A4D4C-DCD4-40CA-B299-39F63E76EB18_zpsyqptqpm4.jpg

A poor pic on track from my mate.

E0A70556-B1D4-4EFC-87CC-714EE7A4036C_zpsyzxgz8yg.jpg

One from a local photographer on track.

image.jpg

The first video.

[video=youtube_share;90H16ZlRR6k]http://youtu.be/90H16ZlRR6k[/video]

172 Cup (Track)
Good video, what tyres you running there? Dampening on full hard? Its pretty loose looking at some points!

Heres a pic of you shoving that red beemer through the chicane..

350A6E17-CD54-4399-84CB-91566C301F2B_zpsiwivnejr.jpg

Cup In bits
That's the Yoko's at that point, damping was full hard all day on the rear and I can't remember what I had on the front at that point tbh. I trail brake through Carlube sometimes for fun if that's what your speaking about. Its on rails in comparison to the last one though haha or just less of a boat. Yours will become a bit more like that if your RARB's on full hard when them spanking 888's get some more days in them.

Aye seen that pic, I was totally surprised I was hanging onto M3's, Z4m's, Cayman S and the likes and faster over a clear lap.

2nd video of mine, I set a few 62s laps in here and you can see its far from tidy or pushing too hard. I reckon a high 60 with the wind behind my back is quite possible without too much work.

[video=youtube_share;6cQ557aCHDo]http://youtu.be/6cQ557aCHDo[/video]

Cup In bits
I found one more picture from track on Saturday, a better one showing the white wheels. I'm not a fan myself but there only for track.

9C8BC658-6BFB-4AA2-BA69-30AC19973B16_zpsberaik9l.png

Today I set about getting the car ready for this coming Saturday's track day.

Genuine filter fitted and some decent oil used.

032E515F-CC5E-4FC7-8865-277B65725930_zpsgt9ngkmz.jpg

I was getting knocking of the exhaust when on and off the throttle as there was just a vibratechnics engine mount fitted. I got a gearbox one and got that fitted. The car feels much tighter now.

0E2EFDEB-E393-43DC-8C92-CC4B5757263B_zpsf8hi4qtp.jpg

2055B0F6-CB3A-42CE-ADA3-85CB133F45FA_zpsl4mlxwoz.jpg

All the studs removed, degreased, and refitted with more loctite.

8B97D752-8DDA-4627-B2C9-9EDA2CDC3F06_zpsyw20tenq.jpg

I done a more extreme geo on the car to hopefully get some better heat spread on the tyres this weekend. To get anything near the 10' toe out I wanted I had to grind off 10mm from the tie rods.

1F270D51-B46C-4961-8664-2CF20E2D6C45_zpstbi5zukn.jpg

9ABAFAD0-F18F-47DB-8527-229342297E88_zpsepfjjl4b.jpg

Thats everything done on the car other than to wash it tomorrow and get the N/S/F tyre swapped out for a fresher one. I just hope the weather predictions don't come to much.

172 Cup (Track)
Im jealous you just need a wash, its not looking good for me making it. :(

How much camber you running? Ive got 4 degrees and tyre was still hotter on outside !!

Cup In bits
When you next out @.GAZ.

Nae good, come up anyway as there will be drop outs on the day. Half the cars are sheds on Knockhill days so problems are many.

I have 4.5 deg on I think @Gaz-m and I'm going to get it on the hunter machine tomorrow to clarify what I have been doing with the string. Your never going look after the NSF tyre around KH with the lie of the land but you can do your best to lengthen its life.

Cup In bits
The last few final bits before tomorrow.

I wanted to check what I had been doing with my string rig so I had it on the hunter machine.

The rear beam is pap on with some toe out, just how I like it. I can only get 3.6 deg neg on the front before I hit the adjuster rings on the coilovers. Even at 3.6 its cutting it fine.

BB28D031-BBAE-4A38-888E-694A25E2FBED_zpsnp04y1fs.jpg

349DF317-B8BC-447C-9E0E-DD3FBB8D2B60_zpsrtushhag.jpg

A couple of tyres changed and all strut bolts torqued up.

C98D798E-67DA-4560-BC35-57BAAD71261B_zpsqzsn2fvx.jpg

Another new wiper, the last one was a week old and broke. It must have had an imperfection in it.

BCA2FA08-13A1-451F-A841-37808D736E8D_zpsbn324knm.jpg

CB4B4ED9-873F-4CD4-BD0D-21457B00EE07_zpsit2vdhev.jpg

Back home for a wash. 3 birds with one stone. Track car, trailer and tow car in the one shot.

4F6C361B-7A53-4CA1-B22D-6F89872ABA0F_zpsfwftuabb.jpg

Ready to roll tomorrow. Pressures set, wheels torqued, rain-x on the windscreens incase the weather turns bad. Looking forward to it, I hope my few niggles from last weekend have been resolved and I don't touch it all day.

56BF21E1-EAE4-4F68-87A5-A88289E5C9E8_zpsdzven42x.jpg