ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turbo - Track Car

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Hope things go well today

Thanks mate, it's on the trailer and on my way home as we speak!

Cars in bits, got a few boxes in the boot with all the unfitted parts. I'll stick some picks up soon. Just glad to have it pack in my possession

Many.
Been following this for ages, I can offer my help to get it back together etc if you'd like, Not exactly a million miles from you.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Been following this for ages, I can offer my help to get it back together etc if you'd like, Not exactly a million miles from you.

Thanks Alex, I might just take you up on that...

UPDATE......

So today was the day, after nearly 5 months of waiting, I got to pick up my car. Should of been a day filled with excitement, but unfortunately it was filled with disappointment and a little bit of anger thrown in for good measure. After all, I wasn't picking up a working car, in fact I didn't know what sort of state it'd be in!

So after setting off at 8am we arrived at the destination at 10am, the agreed time of car pick up. After a very brief chat with garage owner, he opened up and there it was.

Dusty, dirty, covered in cobwebs, and generally looking like a barnfind. Hard to see your pride and joy looking this way, after spending 10 years getting it to a happy place, a place that had hours of my time spent making it just as I wanted it, hours of effort fitting parts, just be left, unloved and neglected.

First thing I did was open the dusty bonnet. No coolant pipes, no boost pipes, no top inlet manifold. All sorts of bolts left on the scuttle, engine mounts left unbolted, fuse box and wires pulled out and some cut. I was told all the missing parts were in the boot.

Next obvious place to look was the boot then, a box containing my driveshafts, various bolts, nuts etc that could be for anything. Boost pipes laid out along with the radiator hoses too.

I'd made a list of stuff to check before I went to make sure I remembered everything, after I ticked everything off and made sure it was all there, fitted to not, we got the car on the trailer. Strapped it all down, finally got a sorry from the owner and off I went.

There was a bit of relief on my part when we left, knowing that I'd finally had my car back, fixed or not, at least I knew where it was.

It got me thinking about trust.. You really don't know who you are handing your keys over to, whether they be very well respected on here, have constant rave reviews, and have a big following saying they'd never take their car anywhere else. You just don't know what is going to happen. Maybe I'm just unlucky and got caught up in it all, but that could of happened to anyone.

Many people with think, it's just a clio, get over it. But it's more than that, it's sad but true.

Anyway, that pretty sums up my day. I won't let it defeat me, the car will get done, and I will find that garage that I can trust, and use over and over again. I've been talking to a couple of people and have a few options on where to go next, but nothing set in stone.

I don't want this thread to be locked to appreciate if the slagging off is kept to a minimum. I don't feel like I've mugged anyone off, just told my experience.

Here's some pics...

88D1C696-8685-4E43-A124-96203B9F5C82.jpg

E833DB51-6151-4E10-8B5C-1881CD673E6B.jpg

B6DFB240-8C14-4EE4-BF3C-7068396463FA.jpg

DD08FB7C-A062-4649-BE6A-46FC39535BC0.jpg

DE33F06A-BC64-47F2-8D59-C99D57BB5D35.jpg

8D6F1E81-C52B-4232-A8B4-D388AAFE8F97.jpg

22A519A8-361F-403E-BAA6-A474A9243A9E.jpg

BB78F567-8BDC-432D-A0B4-BA1C2EF12945.jpg

68CE0DF9-F900-4C28-9E10-9815F74549D4.jpg

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Lost interest in it all. His words. Would have appreciated him telling me that 3 months ago, but hey ho. Ended amicably, so onwards and upwards.

Many.
Shame to see it in such a state.

My offer of help is certainly on offer as thats pretty poor from anybody.

C3 Picasso Beast
So has Dan given up with the garage completely then? When I was there last he talked about giving it up to do something different but I didn't imagine he would do it the way he has (if he has?). Dan has several loyal customers so I would have thought he would have put something somewhere so people know what's actually going on. I myself am interested because if he has packed up I need to figure out where I'll be taking mine for future work...

172 cup, Impreza P1
That is shocking! Lost interest?!

Such a crying shame that you've been treated in such a way. I've seen this on a few forums to owners who trust a so called reputable garage and end up losing a fortune. You look to have lost a lot of time but hopefully not too much money. A guy on another forum I'm on lost nearly £50k on his P1 from a garage who took him to the cleaners.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
On the one hand, glad to see you have it back.

On the other, I'd have been livid to discover my car in that state and unfinished. Nice to see club members on here offering assistance, my car was effectively built by club members on here for which I will always remain grateful.

172 Turbo
So has Dan given up with the garage completely then? When I was there last he talked about giving it up to do something different but I didn't imagine he would do it the way he has (if he has?). Dan has several loyal customers so I would have thought he would have put something somewhere so people know what's actually going on. I myself am interested because if he has packed up I need to figure out where I'll be taking mine for future work...

From the Burpspeed thread, it made me wonder if it is still locked up waiting fixing!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Without trawling back through the thread which garage was it at , just asking as I know there is a couple of tuners on here called Dan.

SQ5
Have you checked things like the driveshafts etc...

He could have had another customer in needing one, and switched with yours. Not trying to stir or anything, but there is no telling some of those parts were off of your car in the first place?

ph2 172
Pretty shocking that, I thought 519 was a reputable company judging by here and fb. Hope that your car gets finished and you are still determined with it

Cup Turbo, Flamer
He had a Monaco blue 172 there and said he had 1 more customer car, don't know if he was referring to the same car or had 2 there.

I mock fitted to boost pipes and hoses to make sure they were all there, which they are. Driveshafts are there and look as though they are the same, but seeing that state of them makes me think I should maybe think about new ones. Then there's all the bolts which I have no idea if they are all there or not!

So in my head what needs doing is.....exhaust, all fluids, coolant hoses, driveshafts etc, boost pipes, solder the wires he's cut, top inlet manifold, various sensors etc. Think that's it.

Dilemma I'm having now is, do i asks the next place I take it to, to take it all back out to double check the oil leaks that have supposedly fixed? Worst thing would be bolting everything back up and still having a leak, then ripping it all apart again. What do you all think?

Thanks to all members offering help, I'll more than likely be calling those favours in over the coming weeks!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Jesus.. really is shocking!

At least you have it back now though and can get everything sorted.

Probably safe to have the whole thing checked over after all this though imo!

Many.
With the oil leaks, what did it have done? Crank seals?

TBH I'd get it running and then see if it leaks, otherwise its box off, flywheel off again (which ideally needs new bolts), for nothing possibily.

I don't have a high opinion of 519, but I'd like to imagine, Nobody would put the engine back in, without replacing the seals, half the reason for the engine coming out!

PH1 loads of boost!
Nightmare! My offer is still there to sort the car for you if you can't find someone closer because I know we're a bit of a trek for you.

Let me know if we can help. Clioturbo.co.uk

Cup Turbo, Flamer
With the oil leaks, what did it have done? Crank seals?

It was indeed, the one under the flywheel and all the gubbins

Do you know for fact if it did come out?

He sent me pics of the leaks etc and engine looks as though it's out

Are you pushing it about without driveshafts in? If so, you'll bugger up the front wheel bearings.

I literally pushed it 5 metres onto the trailer, then rolled it off. Done. Would that gave caused much?

Nightmare! My offer is still there to sort the car for you if you can't find someone closer because I know we're a bit of a trek for you.

Let me know if we can help. Clioturbo.co.uk

Cheers mate, much appreciated

Many.
It was indeed, the one under the flywheel and all the gubbins

I literally pushed it 5 metres onto the trailer, then rolled it off. Done. Would that gave caused much?

I'd risk it, but get the rest of his work checked, I don't think its worth while pulling the engine personally, unless further, major issues were found apon inspection (By somebody who knows what they are doing/looking at!)

Wheel bearing wise, get it back together, and see if you have play, FWD Vauxhalls (as per a lot of cars tbh) have a similar issue and are often okay due to the short distances.