ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 FF vs 172 Cup

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LMAO

"A 172 Cup is not hardcore", coming from the same people that say "I just can't do without my xenons and aircon, and Alcantara, and cruise control, and extra airbags, and ABS, and ESP, and multi CD changer, and third rear belt, and rear headrests, and a split/fold rear seat, and spare wheel".

As for the "cherry picking" - I've no idea what Renault did differently (if anything) or if the extra belts/pumps etc. for the aircon make any difference whatsoever, but, on both rolling road days I've been to, comparing standard against standard, or two with like for like mods, the 172 Cup engines put out more power, anything from 5-10 bhp over standard FF 172s.

There's the odd exception of course, but what I've seen, many others have at other rolling roads as well.

Why is that?

182 Trophy
In my 182 I'd say that the difference between having a passenger and not is very noticeable, expecially when storming off from a standstill. I presume you'd notice it even more in a 172 which has slightly less torque...

As for the "cherry picking" - I've no idea what Renault did differently (if anything) or if the extra belts/pumps etc. for the aircon make any difference whatsoever, but, on both rolling road days I've been to, comparing standard against standard, or two with like for like mods, the 172 Cup engines put out more power, anything from 5-10 bhp over standard FF 172s.

There's the odd exception of course, but what I've seen, many others have at other rolling roads as well.

Why is that?

Its because Cup don't have Air con system or tensioners reducing power before it gets to the wheels hence the cars have more power at the wheel as less is removed. There not hand picked Renault don't even check there not ultra rare rally cars.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Was being followed by a 52 plate coming off A614 on the way home from work tonight.

He came off the roundabout behind me, so of course I gave it some beans to see if he'd follow the bait [you know, with him having the lighter 'faster' car;)]
He took it alright, caning it right up to *[insert speed here!]*mph:S

Must admit he wasn't all over me as I've been re-mapped:cool:, but it was obvious I had the bigger balls when it came to the sharper corners on the country roads, with the confidence of my ABS and traction control.
since when do you need ABS do drive round corners? ;)

Plus the fact I was nice and comfy in my leather and alcantara seats with the heat reflective windscreen keeping me cool without having to have my climate control on.

these 'comfy' high chairs, that are the same in the cup but are covered in cloth rather than cheap leather...... ;)
:lolup:

Just havin a bit of a laugh as us FF owners always get beaten by you Cuppies.:D

:rasp:

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Was being followed by a 52 plate coming off A614 on the way home from work tonight.

He came off the roundabout behind me, so of course I gave it some beans to see if he'd follow the bait [you know, with him having the lighter 'faster' car;)]
He took it alright, caning it right up to *[insert speed here!]*mph:S

Must admit he wasn't all over me as I've been re-mapped:cool:, but it was obvious I had the bigger balls when it came to the sharper corners on the country roads, with the confidence of my ABS and traction control.
since when do you need ABS do drive round corners? ;)

YOU HAVE TO BRAKE FOR THE SHARPER CORNERS GT_GAZ:rasp:

Plus the fact I was nice and comfy in my leather and alcantara seats with the heat reflective windscreen keeping me cool without having to have my climate control on.

these 'comfy' high chairs, that are the same in the cup but are covered in cloth rather than cheap leather...... ;)
:lolup:

ERM...NO COMMENT

Just havin a bit of a laugh as us FF owners always get beaten by you Cuppies.:D

NOT THIS DAY SUNSHINE;)

:rasp:

Nice one gt_gaz, nice to see you took it in the harmless and fun way it was intended:approve:

James

R27 Alibi Blue N0 411
This is so funny, I have bought a Clio 182 with both cup packs last week and just been browsing the Renault sites.

What makes me laugh is that I also own a 2005 Subaru Impreza STI (336bhp/296lbft torque) and I go on there sites and they all argue about this model faster than that model too, or mine will corner faster than yours.

Since buying the Clio I have to say that it brings a smile to my face when I drive it (which is most of the time).

Any car is only as good as the driver and I can admit that at many trackdays I have had my ar*e wupped by small are less powerful cars.

Enjoy YOUR car and dont worry about what anyone else has.

Oh and by the way HI !!!!

tiTTy & SV650
plastic windows and lack of any driving aids other than power steering by todays standards is pretty hardcore.

MINI JCW
LMAO

"A 172 Cup is not hardcore", coming from the same people that say "I just can't do without my xenons and aircon, and Alcantara, and cruise control, and extra airbags, and ABS, and ESP, and multi CD changer, and third rear belt, and rear headrests, and a split/fold rear seat, and spare wheel".

I dont think its a case of not being able to live without stuff, i think the question is why would you want to live without them?

For example why on earth would someone not want air con unless they enjoy sweating cobs on a hot summers day and as for the extra safety elements I think ill take them you never know when you may need them.

Yes its a bit more raw than most, but its no caterham or ariel atom

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this will go on forever , it's a preference thing ..summer last 2 weeks last yr :rasp:

also those safety devices wont save you all the time .

MINI JCW
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this will go on forever , it's a preference thing ..summer last 2 weeks last yr :rasp:

No they wont but they can only help, and you must have a bad memory as it was very warm last summer. I always find the people who say "you only use air con two weeks of the year" are the people who dont have it, its quite funny!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
LMAO

I dont think its a case of not being able to live without stuff, i think the question is why would you want to live without them?

For example why on earth would someone not want air con unless they enjoy sweating cobs on a hot summers day and as for the extra safety elements I think ill take them you never know when you may need them.

Yes its a bit more raw than most, but its no caterham or ariel atom

The world would be a boring place if we all wanted the same thing.;)

You could turn this round and say, why have you got a 182 clio when a 1.2 does the same job of getting you round....

comprede?!

No they wont but they can only help, and you must have a bad memory as it was very warm last summer. I always find the people who say "you only use air con two weeks of the year" are the people who dont have it, its quite funny!

tru i did sweat my cobs off ........ :S

just be thankful were not driving Nova or Corsa or Festa. We all love Clios we all love driving, so lets just enjoy them.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Hey i like nova gsi's......a nice unmolested one, they were a good car.

fight fight fight

I had aircon in my mk4 golf, only ever used it in traffic jams when red hot. windin the window down whilst drivin has the same effect! who needs it? ppl who cant stand the heat when a cup is on thre ar*se. lol

oh 172 cups gotta be much faster standard than the ff's.:rasp: not raced a 172 ff, as yet but mates got a 182 with cup pack n i quite easily went passed him, on an empty carraige way, from standin start. so fair race. could be down to driver comparisons tho:S