ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Rear Exhaust Mount modification

Iceberg 172
Just thought I'd post up this afternoon's handywork...... Like most, my K-tec Stealth wasn't particularly stealthy once fitted, despite having a new rear mount installed.

I'd seen people on here pack the mount with old sockets, but since I still need all my sockets(!) I bought a pack of 4 copper pipe connectors from B&Q, about 75p and cable-tied them in. Job's a good 'un.

The exhaust isn't quite sitting perfectly yet because the rear box needs twisting round slightly in its clamp but since they used paste between it and the centre section, this isn't a five minute job. Anyway:

Mount off, three bits of copper tied in:
RearMount2.jpg

Back in situ:
RearMountFitted1.jpg

Stealthier stealth:
RearMountFitted3.jpg

BMW E46 330i Touring
I appreciate the idea and it sits a lot better, but surely the mount is made of rubber for a reason? Isn't effectively removing all elasticity going to cause problems?

mk3 golf gti
I appreciate the idea and it sits a lot better, but surely the mount is made of rubber for a reason? Isn't effectively removing all elasticity going to cause problems?

i think you'll find the mount is made of cheese, ive had 3 in two years, all brand new renault ones! :eek:

182kev

agree with the cheese mounts,i've got much the same mount set up on my 182 lol

RS 172
Sorry about my english! :eek:

Can you put some video clip of the sound, from that exaust.

I am deciding to buy that or miltek from Ktec?

Tnx. This is good idea, nice. I have 44000 km and this is my second mount. :rolleyes:

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, okay cheese. But, generally, exhausts must be made from a flexible material for a reason?

Not saying it'll affect it in a few months, but further down the line? Vibrations with no damping affecting the structure of the exhaust and, therefore, manifold, etc?

Evo 8 MR
I agree there must be a reason why the mount is designed this way to allow movement. Preventing this may cause problems.

Iceberg 172
Lol, okay cheese. But, generally, exhausts must be made from a flexible material for a reason?

Not saying it'll affect it in a few months, but further down the line? Vibrations with no damping affecting the structure of the exhaust and, therefore, manifold, etc?

There is still some movement, particularly sideways. In any case, before I replaced the exhaust the old rear mount was completely shagged as they all usually are after about 10 mins of being on the car, and then the exhaust just sits on the metal bracket with no suspension on it at all.

I think the main problem with the mounts is that there is too much movement built in to them, so lots of bouncing around quickly destroys the rubber part since the back box (even the standard one) is quite heavy. We'll see.

@ dinneh - I haven't got a sound clip and I'm not sure you'd gain much from one. It has a nice deep burble at idle, and then is slightly noisier than standard when you give it the beans. Nice edge to it but still civilised. Same on the motorway.

Clio 182
Mmm might have to give this mod a go myself, Had bought myself a new un but when i tried to take the old one of the bolts snapped, even after using plenty of WD40.....

Monaco Blue Mk2
Grr... I'm fitting my new exhaust and I can't get the old mount off. The front and rear bolts are seized into some stupid square nut on top. It's rediculously hard trying to get it off lying on your back under the car. Any tips before I resort to grinding the nuts off and buying new nuts and bolts?

clio mk3
Just thought I'd post up this afternoon's handywork...... Like most, my K-tec Stealth wasn't particularly stealthy once fitted, despite having a new rear mount installed.

I'd seen people on here pack the mount with old sockets, but since I still need all my sockets(!) I bought a pack of 4 copper pipe connectors from B&Q, about 75p and cable-tied them in. Job's a good 'un.

The exhaust isn't quite sitting perfectly yet because the rear box needs twisting round slightly in its clamp but since they used paste between it and the centre section, this isn't a five minute job. Anyway:

Mount off, three bits of copper tied in:
RearMount2.jpg

Back in situ:
RearMountFitted1.jpg

Stealthier stealth:
RearMountFitted3.jpg

hello friend were did u get your bracket from for you exhust as in desprate need for one hope you can help cheers

Clio 172 cup
I fitted my yozza today and i have now realised that my mounts arent standard they say powerflex on the rubbers