ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ade's Renaultsport 182 Project (+boost)

Haha well you didn't mention anything about trees so that's good. Have no grips to destroy so that's another plus.

Thanks buddy , you keep enjoying that shiny motor of yours and try and get a sound video 

Inside:

th_IMG_0144_zps32fed4e7.jpg

Outside:

th_IMG_0143_zpsf3b9eb01.jpg

Not under the ideal circumstances and wasn't aware it was being filmed ( until I accelerate in the 2nd video ) but there's two from when I first got it back. Will get some better ones soon! Chatters so much better over 3,000RPM!

Took the car to EFI Parts today. Even though it has been running great and the misfiring on boost has stopped since the coil pack replacement, Andy urged me to go so that he could be re-assured everything was OK.

Chris was great to deal with, took the time to have a chat about the issues I did have, then checked the car over on WARI as it was sat still. He listened to what I said, agreed that the coil pack was probably the issue but insisted on checking it over anyway. We took a little drive so he could monitor what was happening as it was coming on boost. Unfortunately the wet weather and the Yokohama S-Drives that came on the Turini's made it a handful to keep on boost down the expressway! Thanks to the Audi driver who gave me the hazards to warn me of the copper ahead but I had already spotted him! We arrived back at EFI and he gave the fuelling a quick tweak to run closed loop until 4,300RPM (for fuel economy reasons).

The good news is the throttle position signal is fine and its holding boost well @ 0.6 bar! Bad news is I REALLY need new, better rubber now!

Trophy Turbo :)
Customer service to those who matter really means a lot.

Thanks to your kind words aiden. .

Some morons who have no clue what so ever and act like 16 year old hormonal muppets we'll let them do so.

Glad all well mate.

See you soon :)

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thanks for pointing me here Andy, interesting read and your car looks great mate. Looking forward to my turbo
conversion in a few weeks.

Thanks for pointing me here Andy, interesting read and your car looks great mate. Looking forward to my turbo
conversion in a few weeks.

Hi mate, can't go wrong with Andy. Good guy, terrible banter and I think the fact he's always overloaded with work speaks volumes for his reputation!

What power are you looking at?

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Hi mate, can't go wrong with Andy. Good guy, terrible banter and I think the fact he's always overloaded with work speaks volumes for his reputation!

What power are you looking at?

Started off high boost, but after a chat today with Andy I'm going low. he said it transforms the car and
will be more than enough. Being a 172 cup, its the gearbox clip that's really stopped me going further at this
time.

I started at medium but due to mileage it would mean engine rebuilds every 2 years and a paddle clutch that would make being stuck in traffic painful!

~230BHP is pretty quick in these, trust me!

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I bought a 182 new in 2004, had it 4 years and bought a Z3M. Due to having my first little one on the way, the BM went to open up some funds.
I then bought the cup as a run around in April. I miss the power which brings me to the turbo conversion.

My mate has a low boost supercharged 6, If its anything like that I'll be happy :)

I had a slightly split right thumb grip on mine when it went to Andy.

First day of getting it back it completely ripped off because I had to hold the wheel a lot tighter when I was WOT over 4,00RPM in 1st or 2nd. Adjusting now so it doesn't surprise me as much as it did and I'm not holding on so tightly!

You'll be reet with a low blow conversion, keep it over 4K and it tears out of corners! The flutter/chatter is really addictive but I'm seriously considering fitting this dump valve to take the strain off the turbo bearings.

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I had a slightly split right thumb grip on mine when it went to Andy.

First day of getting it back it completely ripped off because I had to hold the wheel a lot tighter when I was WOT over 4,00RPM in 1st or 2nd. Adjusting now so it doesn't surprise me as much as it did and I'm not holding on so tightly!

You'll be reet with a low blow conversion, keep it over 4K and it tears out of corners! The flutter/chatter is really addictive but I'm seriously considering fitting this dump valve to take the strain off the turbo bearings.

Which valve are you going for ?

Ok, so some bits done on the car, none of which produced the expected results unfortunately. I bought some pipes/hoses from ASH to fit the Baileys DV26 and (Andy will kill me for this) chopped into the lovely boost piping he fitted to get a T piece in to fit the valve to. I also cut the vacuum line and used a T on this to operate the valve:

IMG_0186_zps4f50bff8.jpg

Unfortunately I was getting both a slight dump and a flutter/chatter at the same time which sounded really pants to be honest. Luckily I had bought an end cap to fit where the dump valve should be and a straight vacuum joiner incase all went wrong and I had to reconnect my boost/vac pipes. I'm just so relieved I got these bits as I needed them to reconnect everything! After some googling and whatsapp'ing Andy I realised this is because a car converted from N/A to turbo doesn't run as much vac as a car that leaves the factory with a turbo! So the Clio isn't creating enough vacuum to open the DV26 to let all the pressure out. Looking into a new valve that will work under these conditions but it's much further down the line as I have the following to sort...

I'd been trying to wear out the tread on the S-Drives since getting the car back from Andy as it was struggling with grip in the dry but was trying to wheelspin in the wet in 3rd at 60MPH also! So some Michelin Pilot Sport 3's were ordered:

IMG_0204_zps95012b62.jpg

And here we go again! :mad:

I had bought some crap Grayston locking wheel nuts when I got the Turini's which are the type with 4 pins on the key that locate into 4 holes in the locking nuts. The garage got 3 out before the pins on the key bent and wouldn't locate into the final locking nut. They tried to bend the pins back on the key which didn't work. They then tried to drill into the locking nut and knock in a socket with a hex key but this just tore the nut apart. In the end it had to go to a welder so that they could weld a wheel bolt to it to release it. It made a right mess but as the tyre on that wheel was the worst I authorised them to do whatever they needed to to change the tyre. Afterwards, I tried to tidy it up a little and here is how it looks:

IMG_0211_zpsbecc4621.jpg

Finding it a bit disheartening to be honest as I've ploughed a hell of a lot of money into this car and it's my pride and joy. Had many great comments about it being immaculate and so discreet so the damage to this alloy is really bothering me! The only plus is the PS3's are providing me with oodles of grip in the dry; I've just got to wait for rain to see how the grip is on wet roads!

I'll be after a single Cup Turini after payday so I can get it sprayed the same colour then will keep this damaged one as a spare and get some rubber on it when money is less tight. Need to get this car bob on again!

Last edited:
Well, a few bits to update!

I took a drive to the shiny new Clioturbo HQ last Tuesday, unfortunately I hadn't washed the car so it was the dirtiest thing in the workshop! Andy set about sorting a few minor niggles, gave the car a good once over and an oil change.

Great news is the car is spot on! Besides a minor coolant leak from the thermostat and a very minor oil leak from the turbo oil return all is well 6 months or so since it was boosted. The oil return only required tightening up but I needed a new thermostat as the garage who replaced it a few years ago never prepped it properly by sanding away the bits of rust so the seal wasn't the best.

Also, after the fitment of the Baileys DV26 didn't produce the expected results, I had been keeping an eye on second hand HKS SSQV dump valves on eBay and put a few cheeky low bids in on a few. In the end this paid off as I got this for £45 delivered:

IMG_0248_zpsa85a8bbb.jpg

It's a HKS SSQV4 Black Edition (on examining it and comparing to real/fake HKS BOV threads I'm 95% certain it's real) but the only issue is the adaptor on the valve is 30mm diameter and my T piece's spout is 25mm diameter so it doesn't fit just yet. Ordered a 25mm adaptor for the valve from eBay so I'm just waiting on that now.

Dump valves seem to be frowned upon in the turbo Clio world but I've wanted that signature HKS blow-off sound since I became interested in cars so I'm really looking forward to getting this fitted!

Well, call me "The Coil Pack Killer" as another started to fail yesterday just as I fuelled it up ready for it's MOT!

I decided I'd fuel up, then head to Eurocarparts for a hazard switch as mine had failed just before MOT. Gave it some welly out of the petrol station and it misfired on boost. Wound the turbo up a few more times to check it wasn't a one off, and it kept missing with popping from the exhaust. I'd experienced this before (see earlier in the thread) so the hunt was on for a new coil pack asap. Eurocarparts go from vehicle registrations not manufacturer part numbers so I was s**t out of luck with the part number I had. Went to VW and got some fantastic customer service from the parts guy there even though he never had the coil pack in stock and knew I would go elsewhere (definitely at their price of £142 inc VAT!). He ran the coil pack part number through the system, which was superseeded by a new one, then checked which vehicles/engines these were fitted to. It turns out a 2013 1.2 Polo TSi with a CBZB engine uses them, and they had a used vehicle around the back! Armed with this Polo's registration I called Eurocarparts and after explaining that the car wasn't under warrenty as it was actually a turbo-charged Clio 182 I got the coil pack and the pit stop coil pack swap was underway on my driveway, at 11am. Which so happened to be the time it should have been at the testing station!

After so much drama in the morning, to my surprise the car passed it's 3rd MOT on the bounce since I've owned it! This is the MOT tester's snapchat photo, can you tell he's a Renaultsport Clio fan?!
IMG_0338_zpsswgfin5v.jpg

Over the winter I haven't really got the jobs done I'd intended to, but I'm on with them now. I'm in talks with a member on here about a Cup Turini to replace my knackered one (from the removal of the shite locking wheel nuts), and I need to get a driver's door strap and a new windscreen washer pump (mine seems to be failing as the spray pressure seems weak as it barely fires the water onto the windscreen). I was toying with selling it after summer but after another fairly positive MOT test I'm now reconsidering!

Glad your still on with it mate, just had my washer pump changed too! Hope to find a decent place for MOT before July as I don't have a cat.

Did you ever get the HKS dump valve sorted?

Glad your still on with it mate, just had my washer pump changed too! Hope to find a decent place for MOT before July as I don't have a cat.

Did you ever get the HKS dump valve sorted?

The Turini has been dropped at the bodyshop today :)

Not tried since as it was fluttering twice then blowing off. Going to relocate it hot side but cars struggling on boost at the moment. Think it's the CTS so I've ordered one from Renault. Temp guage dips slightly under harsh acceleration which I think is bringing in the cold map limiter at 4k. Also the needle was hunting yesterday so it's worth a shot. I can only get it on boost in 3rd gear or higher currently.

Peugeot 308
WTF is that locking wheel nut removal about!!

We get stuff like that all the time in work and have never left a scratch on a wheel, let alone mullering one!

That's shocking workmanship tbh.

Unfortunately, problems are back.

Temp gauge is fluctuating badly again however once its been through a few warm up cycles it seems to play nice. Got a thermostat and 5L of Type D that's going in on Monday after I flush the system, and I'm gonna cable tie the boost pipe that's pushing against the coolant temp sensor out of the way so it doesn't touch it anymore and see how it goes. Did a log from the Adpatronic and it too is seeing massive variations in water temperature, from 85 degrees to 22 degrees when WOT over 3,000RPM so that's causing the issue I think. Adaptronic limiter is 4,500ish when it's not fully warm and that's when the misfire/hesitation begins along with coolant gauge diving down. Getting a little sick of it of late to be honest and been looking into BMW 330D coupes.

Titanium 182
Nothing worse when you spend more time sorting problems than enjoying your car! Caused me to get rid of my old R6 a few years back, hope you get it sorted mate! At least before we do this photoshoot lol

Just read the bit regarding the alloy wheel issues, isn't that center cap removable? Surely they could have at least removed that to negate some damage? That's sickening

Nothing worse when you spend more time sorting problems than enjoying your car! Caused me to get rid of my old R6 a few years back, hope you get it sorted mate! At least before we do this photoshoot lol

Just read the bit regarding the alloy wheel issues, isn't that center cap removable? Surely they could have at least removed that to negate some damage? That's sickening

Maybe mate, I don't think they were aware and my priority at the time was keeping a relatively quick car well within the limits of the law! I just told them to do whatever they had to to change the tyre as it was the most worn of the 4.

Yep, it's getting right on my nerves at the moment, it went through MOT fine and I thought "it's a keeper for now" but I'm at my wits end with this misfire/limiter issue. New CTS worked for a while but it went haywire earlier then it's now settled down again. It was fantastic this afternoon, didn't skip a beat when I was giving it death but I need to figure out this intermittent issue, even if it's only for getting it ready for sale.

Managed to get the bodywork fully decontaminated and resealed with Collinite 467S wax/sealant the other day so it certainly is looking the part at the moment, it's just a shame it's having the occasional hissy fit on boost!

As said I'm gonna flush the coolant system, fit a new thermostat and cable tie a boost pipe away from the CTS so we'll see what results these yield.

Titanium 182
Yea hopefully you'll crack it pal as you've put a lot of time and money into it! I've yet to sell a car / bike and move onto something else and it's been plain sailing, better the devil you know I guess!

Still struggling!

CTS issue seems to be sorted now as I haven't had a hectic temp needle for weeks but still getting misfiring/hesitation as its coming on boost/cam (between 3-4k rpm). I put the OEM leads back on, a brand spanking new coil pack was fitted today, the only thing I couldn't do was remove the plugs as I never had the socket I thought I did and the inlet was off at this point! I'm also thinking it may be fuel related instead so could have an iffy FPR!

It's a nightmare I'm bored of guessing at, gonna get it to Dr. Clio Turbo next month and get it sorted by the man who can.

I also got the refurb'd Turini back from the paintshop today and fitted my old sub/amp setup from my previous Golf GTi.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
I know how you feel man! My coil pack came loose the other day and ever since I've had a cold start misfire. Cars in the unit just now as I just don't have time to look at it as I'm also trying to sort my daily dci80 out! Looking forward to getting the turbo going though. Considering I've just spent a load of money on some nice new shiney parts but not had a chance to use them! Haha

Ended up taking the car to EFI a few weeks ago and Andy had a tinker with it and Chris spent time updating the Adaptronic firmware and tweaking the map. The car drove fantastic, I was utterly overjoyed.... For 3 hours!

It started throwing the electronic warning light and limiting revs if I tried to give it any stick. I eventually got a P0120 throttle body/pedal circuit a fault so it went to Sparks & Sensors in Kirkham. Ryan got it to throw a 'throttle potentiometer tracks 1 and 2 incoherance' fault so rewired the tracks from pedal all the way to the body as there was no visible damage to the wiring. Job done.

I had a 90 degree bend sat around so started to begin tidying things up. Removed the T piece for the dump valve and it's looking better already. Once the weathers better I'll remove and repaint the other pipes matt black too. Still need a Turini centre cap and one of the EXH008 exhaust mounts has sagged so I have one to go on when I have time. Looking into changing the cone filter too, maybe a Pipercross as Andy is now using these for his conversions. Belts are due in six months too so preparing for that.

64598f4014fe8f6416e01378c3e4c9d0.jpg

Still struggling with the car unfortunately!

Had some issues with misfiring over 4,000RPM since the weathers got warmer which I attribute to the coil pack/leads as it pops and bangs as it misses! I've found that putting the climate control on 1 bar blowing at the windscreen seems to reduce the under bonnet temps and stops it msfiring but in this sweltering weather this is less than ideal for driver/passenger comfort!

Got it a few treats though, 5L of Elf Evolution 900 SXR 5w40, a geniune Renault oil filter, pollen filter, a N/S wishbone and track rod ends for both sides. Plus a fresh gear stick insert and an EXH008 exhaust mount to sort the sagging offside exhaust tip. Also got all the boost pipes removed and sprayed matt black but I realised that reason the pipe going down towards the intercooler became so scratched was because it's such a pain to get it to fit! I plan to use matt black touch up paint to tidy it up whilst it's in place.

I was also hoping to fit an SPA oil gauge and also a Mocal oil cooler using 2 sandwich plates (one thermostatic one normal) to be able to monitor oil pressure/temperature and assist in cooling turbo/under bonnet temperatures but I am reliably informed two sandwich plates will make the filter foul on the radiator so I can't do this!

Gutted for you mate! Thought you had a new coil pack already? Least your still keeping with it and getting through the list.

Just having some problems myself. Knocking, boost pipe keeps popping off and gear box leaking oil. Oh and air filter has ripped so just ordered a new one with a strong jubilee clip hopefully to keep the pipe on the throttle body.

The 90 degree bend to my throttle body keeps coming loose at the bottom causing a boost leak which is getting a bit annoying! It's had 4 coil packs so far so as soon as it was missing/popping/banging the other day I started to change the coil pack only to find I've kept the one thats duff and thrown away the working one! :weary: Luckily putting the original back on seemed to solve matters! Also my turbo to downpipe bolts kept loosening so I put some Nord-Lock washers on and they seem to be holding the bolts in place so far.

It's been bob on for the past few days though. Felt a little flat but it's due an oil change and the warmer weather won't help matters!

How are you getting on with yours pal?