ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BenR or HK Clioman

haha Ben told u u should have got me a job :p j/k nah i just think the crap service should not exist thats why I told my uncle about it. I dont get any commission so dont worry ahaha i wont even get a free drink.

hhm try "city" mode for ur wife its auto shiftin should be ok! if u want to drive those selespeed nice n smooth really have to learn the gear timin n left foot brakin, i find it quite nice with 2.0L engine (same selespeed on Fiat Stilo Abarth 2.3L doesnt match at all) try to keep her mind wide open i think its a big step up from 164 size is smaller should be even easier to drive around. Economical too! well not too bad with JTS.

I will check up with u Tony see how it goes I actually havent touched a JTS before but interior is not bad at all ride n handle have been upgraded since the face lift its MUCH better now

haha wait a minute ben...... all ur gwailo friends? i was thinkin u r a half gwailo too ! ur surname is Rushworth? so ur dad must be foreign?...... strange that they call u ching haha oh well u can be Ben n i can be ching now unless u have an english name forme haha

The last time I test drove 156, the car was fitted with a manual, not selespeed. Not sure if I can acheive a smooth change. Anyway, am looking forward for a test drive.

why left foot braking...surely alfa are not overcomlicating things!"

the new magane will be 1.6 and 2ltr along witha 2ltr turbo sports model later on!!!! i have seen the pics and it is sexual!!!! but i dont know any prices yet as it will flutuate depending on the date we buy and the euro exchange rate.......ho hum......

will try to keep it belo the laguna but it will be very hard seeing as its so cheap!!! in the uk its £21k!!!!! almost $70k cheaper in hk than uk !!!! crazy, oh and were banned from exporting to other countries due to the cheap price!

i am half english........and half chinese, hence the nick name.

Ben the one i saw last nite was at "Upper Central"" (Hows that? haha)

philip ma brought his car to "Chu Hoi" in china to test and the review said he had some over heatin?

I spotted another silver 172 this mornin goin to work on Ventris Road Happy Valley anyones?

Cyue, welcome home. I also met a silver 172 in Happy Valley yestersday afternoon. Waited for him at the traffic light, but he was rather shy and didnt come next to me. Dont know who he was.

Ben, agree with you that pricing the new Megane will be vy difficult. I suggest you to stop importing the laguna 2.0 model. Leave the 2.0 market to megane (forget the 1.6 segment, too much competition). So in all three market segments (i.e. 1.5/2.0/3.0), Reno will be represented by the clio, megane and laguna respectively. As I see it, no one will buy the 3.0 Laguna if the 2.0 is continuously available. Do remember ppl here dont appreciate driveability, and performance. They care more about the level of equipment, price, consumption, lic fees and insurance,.. and the 2.0 offers everything, so who will pay the extra for the 3.0? Better let the laguna fights in the family saloon market against volvo s60 and saab 9-3. The new megane with its modern look can be positioned as an alternative to the golf 2.0, and be aimed at the younger buyers.

cheers.

I rang Gordon up n tell him to ring u see how it goes. if its still crap. I will go with u and squash them. after that we go to Renault and see Ben hehaha

Hi, Cyue,

Gordon called me this afternoon. We talked for some 30 minutes. He said he would send me some JTS info and also arrange a test drive this Sat. Looking forward to that. BTW, how long will you stay in HK this time?

Tony

for now up until early jan i might do summe skool. gordon forgot about me :( oh well ahha but knowin Mr Wong n all makes a differece .. I hope u will enjoy it :D!!! i read some spec on JTS not bad for a 2.0L good for HK insurance n JTS makes good usage of HK scarce petrol supply too. 16X hp and 210nm somethin like that

cool, i will see you late Dec then!

hmm...tony, not a bad idea on the model front.....i will have a more in depth talk with you over a drink when in HK.....seems you have been watchign the mkt very closely.

only thing i worry about with teh alfas, apart from them being gorgeous.....CHING, get me a go in either the 165 or 147 GTA!!! i have to try the beasty FWD alfas!.......is the engine management and wirering...thats the only real concern. our sales manager who used to work at alfa told all sorts of horror stories. and you tony are not the only one to suffer from overheating. it was found to be teh electrical conectors in the enginebay. the copper connectors would expand and end up no touching the other connector so no current was passed! DOH! italians huh!

ching, could you sort me out with a indepth look at the JTS or GTA? i dont really care about slower ones...i wannt asee their electro trickery and what they are doin...or how about a look in the garage!??

phillip mas clio does in deed have overheating problems, but is mostly because he was raggin it about Zhu Hai....where most race cars have overheating probs......not alone rd car! but his probs extend to fuel vaporisation in the lines due to poor placement......obviously TWR (the people who built the V6 clio) didnt think it out very well.

wiring problem in alfa is nothing new. Wilman pointed it out to me few years ago, that in many cases, Alfa was using second quality wire. The isolation layer was not thick enough to withstand the heat, and melted. I am not 100% sure, but modern alfa should have adopted multiplexing. This could help solving such old problem.

I have many sad alfa stories to tell, hence I did think more than twice before giving a call to Kingsway last month. Then the guy simply told me to get rid of my big alfa before approaching them. Such attitude really amazed me. Your David Wong was the opposite, giving me a call virtually on a daily basis and kept on improving his offer, until I told him to stop and allowed me a few days to cool off. Anyway, many thanks to Cyue, i am going to test drive the JTS this weekend, I am sure I will love the car, but whether I will buy it is another matter. If you are going to test drive the GTA, do allow me to be your passenger, I will wear a helmet, just in case, and enjoy the ride.

Cheers

Tony

BTW, my wife has just set me a deadline, so a decision will be made before Xmas. Want to bet?

Hey Ben

yeh try my best i m at office now ahha dyin as usual. I will try huh? 147GTA not out. 156 GTA out ... BUt DUDE. 156GTA i love it if its a chick I would have already married it .... its that good for a FWD. I will be out to China (beijing for a walk around) around 20th - 27th so we gotta fix a day to go out

Tony have fun n keep us updated , oh yeh r u in the HK Alfa Club? Give me all the comments u got for Kingsway

cant type alot now need to do some work :(!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ben save me if next year u guys have temp job available tell me even if its really low salary i dont mind ahha i live off my family i just want to do somethin fun for a change

I am not an official member of the alfa club. Dont think those who prefer to drive safely and respect everyone on the road would welcome me; but should have no problem to download those comments for ya.

Getting an interesting summer job is always difficult. Wish you luck.

Tony

yup definately need a DIFFERENT one next year.. cheers Tony those comments would definately be appreciated.

When do u guys want to go out?

Ben i think u n me got the same preference to car..? perhaps? I like to be connected while drivin. if u do .GTA wow ... good v.good indeed.... no good for 3 point turn ahha so no to u Tony :p

Oh yeh I will also ask to go to garage so see how it goes Ben... Ben is ur dads showroom in Causeway Bay ? or is that hte only one in HK? .. me not so sure .. saw a couple of Espace around Causeway though

mornin guys me at office already. cheer me up by postin some thing. anythin haha i need to stay alive . Tony kingsway want to build up a good relationship with HK Alfa club eg givin out goodies n discounts n so forth. actually if u want to we can do some Alfa Club ppl searchin n see what they think

From what I read, I have the feeling that the guys at the HK Alfa club are quite different from the old school alfistis. They care the look/image more than the performance and handling. Stupid comments can be found frequently, for example many of them agreed that modifications were no good (different ppl should have different driving style and preference, if modification can help you to have a more suitable car, why not?); one even said recently that there shouldnt be too many alfa on the road as it would make it a common car (cant follow his logic). The one that made me laugh was that seeing boy racers driving their 206 irresponsively made him sick. He should have seen me in my alfasud Ti when i was about your age. Or Ben in his 1728, that would have killed him, not just sick. But then, from a marketing point of view, do agree that you should provide some goodies to them to make them happy.

Cant remember their site address, but search it using google or yahoo. Name is Hong Kong Alfa Romeo Owners Club. I found it that way.

Tony

haah they sound like a bunch of weirdo any news on Decs Clio HK club meetin ?

oh man good weekend soon i can finally do some of my stuff. i havent even been out yet!

Oh yeh Tony u know i always wonder if u r HK native or just workin in hk? which one r u ahahha sorry.... just that ur english is so good u know wut i m sayin.

Ben dude where r u v.rare u dont reply often i m waitin for u to come back so i can browse ur showroom

I think Ben is busy working on his assignments from last term. haha.

Will be damn busy this weekend (test drive the JTS on Sat, my son has invited over 20 kids home this Sun, not too much time left to prepare myself for a LegCo hearing to be held on Mon), otherwise, can go out with you. maybe next fri evening if that fits you.

Not too sure about the Dec meeting, our chairman is on his way to LV, the group has been fairly quite recently.

BTW, I am a 100% local chinese. many thanks for your compliment.

Tony

oh ahha u know my dad was askin me whether u r chinese or not coz he couldnt tell Leo whether to ring u n speak in English or Chinese. ahha

What occupation do u do?

Perhaps we can wait till Ben is here then drop by somewhere?

Looks like u r gonna have an excitin day on Saturday! If u want tell Gordon to show u their service center

christ!

i stop checking every say and its like a whole new page.....you guys must be dead bored at work! haha.

anyhow, the only shoroom is in CWB yes, but it might...shhhhh...be moving to a more suitable location soon.

as for getting a job, ill try, but it hard enough for me to get one, if i dont make money for tehm, i dont get paid, simple as that.

i love the GTAa, all of them, inc the origian GTA and junior from the 60s......gorgeous cars and was considering rebuilding one but parts are so expensive.....hence why i love fords, same perfrmance ofr a fraction of the cost.

next venture after teh fiesta, a 1968 Anglia 105e with a 1700 x-flow hopefully about 160-170bhp......yum.

oh tony, nore good news. the new megane and Vel satis have joined the laguna as euro NCAP 5 star safety ratings. only other car is the merc e class...the megane is the 1st small car to get 5 star rating, even the 3 door! new clio should follow too. so, its official, Renault have the safest cars you can buy.....i had the crash pics and its amazing to see the engine and supension parts move out of the way of teh drivers safety capsule. and no flex int eh door frames or sills........quite amazing to seehow far design has come.

well....itching to get back...yum, GTA!

This is my mornin edition ahha I submit every mornin around 9 ish to report that i m still bored. yipee friday gonna go out tonite n this weekend.

the Vel Satis is a bit of a odd ball for the luxo sector dont u think.. obiously its much cheaper than a merc even a E class ... new megane seems to look a bit like Vel Satiss back i had a look inside the standard radio set is still the 172 (lookin anyway) perhaps they should chuck in some fancy as system u know more luxo.

Just saw a Black Phase 2 172 close to Renaults showroom while "walking" to work. no car sucks. but the Black looks quite good. oh no i m startin to think whether to go with silver or black :( !!

Ben thats fine its bloody hard i know ahha but just incase the economy goes up hill n things startin to be fine n u guys need someone durin the time i m in hk me v.glad to help u out n at no charge if thats what it takes haha

Good morning, young man. Didnt expect to read your post so early. My boss is now having a long meeting, so I can have a few good minutes for doing something really interesting. Will gvie Gordon a call later this morning to fix a time for the test drive. After that, will visit the opel showroom to see the 2.2 Zafira, a friend of her told her that was a good car (women talk) and also to the KIA. Yes, KIA, the mrs was impressed by the jeep driven by agassi in a TV ad and insisted to have a good look. Last time, she took me to a toyota showroom and wanted to trade my 164 for a corolla. Fortunately, the manger there said he didnt accept alfa for trade in. Hope I can have the same luck this time.

Agree with you that the Vel Satis is an odd ball. No merc/bmw buyers would consider buying it. But the new megane is a different story. I think there is a good chance that the new megane can be sold. My only concern is its lack of room at the back.

the opel is ok but dont think its as refine as an Alfa. KIA oh no i think evil has got to u ahha. I think lookin at a Passat is a better deal than a opel or kia ahha although cost more u get wut u pay for nice german built car.

oh yeh tell us how u think of the JTS after ur drive

Hi Cyue,

just talked to gordon, time fixed, 2:30pm in the afternoon. by wed latest, all test drives would have been done. A good news is , I just find out the jeep my wife likes is the Sorento, and it wont be available until next summer. Dont think she would be interested in any current KIA models. hehe.

will keep u posted.

Tony

Also, the site address of the alfa club is:

hkalfaclub.net

A Clive Wong of Kingsway has recently visited the site, he was not too welcomed, apparently. Ask him for full story.

tell gordon to show u the service center see if that will impress u ahha actually i havent been there yet.

haha looks like i m goin to do some HK Alfa club forum postin

wow u r right i have never seen any company being bashed that hard before. wuts with the deal the dude wants "popularity" yet not so common... thats hard u know in HK the more ppl have the more popular ... just not so that even the guy who lives in a box owns one though ahha.

looks like i have to fit myself in there n "Try" save the day......... me gonna email leo uncle about it ahhah

dad said some comment might be from the other guy who is sellin Alfa too (unofficial dealer) n he is tryin to stir some stuff up . but i think 90% of the stuff posted is true.

ahha let see if i can convince those guys to go n then get Leo uncle to bring out the demo 156 GTA n be the lead car might even get some ppl a drie in it? ppl might go after that haha well i will n i will HOG the car ahhaha

The other guy who is selling alfa in HK is Albert Li, his company is in Sai Kung. Talked to him once few months ago. Apart from alfa, he sells fiat and ferrari, too.

Funny thing about the HKAC is that ppl there have different "values". Clive was really unfortunate, had he checked other thread before making his offer, he should have noted that the HKAC didnt encourage early morning drive. The Chairman, though he said he welcomed the dealer, but the tone in his message said otherwise. Maybe I was over sensitive or my English was poor.

One more thing about their morning drive, they dont welcome nonmembers. I once asked to join, the reply they gave me was even more cold than your guy who told me to get rid of my alfa before calling them.

If you can arrange an early morning drive that is more open, I am sure the clio team will be there too. Hopefully Ben will be there by then. Make sure Leo finds someone who can drive, you know what I mean. Road in HK doesnot favour big power cars.

i think they must be the most "hard out" group n the most unfriendly group ever.. they r nuts... ahha i m bluffin myself into them "yup i ordered a 156 GTA" if i dont say that or dont say i own an Alfa i think they will hunt me down.

hey I would LOVE TO go on a mornin ride with the Clio boys.. i like Clio ppl better. or ppl who own both Clio n Alfa ahhaha

Tony if u ever . i mean EVER receive crap service from any part of Kingsway u let me know. even if ANYONE u know be it ur mate or just some dude let me know :D.

Yeh I think tryin to organise a drive with those Alfa HK club ppl is gonna be hard unless u have some famous "Alfa" driver there ahha or u r givin away free GTAs ahha.... really wuts with the stuck up stuff huh?

I think the route n stuff is organised by Clive n his boys in Alfa Leo just knows about it .... i think it will take quite alot of time to mingle up with these Alfa ppl they r so hard headed from wut they say. or stuborn in some case?

I think Clive jumped in way too early, he should have slowly msgin them u know talk about this n that n then slowly bring Kingsway in to the scene haha u know when u mention Kingsway on that forum they mean business

haha, sounds like a cool place to stir up some real arguements i think ill go on teh forum and really get somebody busting a gut!

the new Vel Satis, yup, deffo different! but sapce is not a concern due to the high spade shaped rear windows onteh 2 new cars....lots of headroom.

But i think teh 5 star aawrd and car of the year kinda clinches it.....no matter what people say, its been recognised as the best & safest car....buy professionals. Which might help us a little, but as you know average HK customers wont know what NCAP is....oh well.....who says we have a highly intellectual bunch of citizens. IN fact, their general knowledge is so poor that its not surprising to see why they have to study 24-7......and then they only know what in the book they read...

yup, prefectly legal........we say ours is the safest and best, BMW asys theirs handle the best etc etc.....but we never name other companies....

Btw, why up so late la!?

oh, and did you join the pug club!?

have to go back to office very early today to prepare for a LegCo public hearing to be held on Mon. Dont expect to be questioned, but then you never know.

Oh, yes, I am now also a proud member of the pug club forum. Rabbit had left sometime ago saying that ppl there were starting to become boring. Will see if I can stir things up a bit.

Guys, test drove three cars this afternoon, rainly weather and congestion, not too idle for test drive.

First, the new ford fiesta 1.4, fitted with a selespeed type box. Ben, dont import too many clio 1.4. the new baby ford is far better than the 1.4 clio. I am not joking. Its list price is just $100k, including factory fitted leather seat. And the selebox is really easy and smooth to use. We tried the car to kill time, as we were there in Wan Chai too early, and had 20 mins good fun,

Next Alfa 147 2.0 selespeed. Went to the showroom, a gang of five salesmen were there. Talked to one of them and learned that Gordon was not among them. Anyway, the guy I talked to was very knowledgable about Alfa, he showed me the GTA and we discussed the new parts bit by bit. Our alfa talk made my wife felt dead. Fortunately, Gordon arrived to save the day. The JTS was not ready but he offered a 147. Alright with me, afterall, my main concern was the jerly ride of the selespeed. The traffic in Wan Chai was really bad, but perfect to test the city mode. I didnt have any problem with the box, so did my wife. We then headed towards the Southern district(where your old school is, ben), there was no traffic, I switched the box to manual mode. Along pokfulam rd, after went pass the QM, but before pokfulam garden, theres a quick left bend, I was doing 120km/h, 5th gear. checked brake, pull the level twice, voom, voom, a smooth double declutch was completed within a second. Man, that was quick. another quick right hand bend coming ahead, down hill, the light was green. Gordon was a little nervous, he sat more tightly than before. Right pedal onto the floor in fourth, braked a little later than I used to, pull the level, third gear, turned in, the car was rock stable, existed the bend again with the right pedal on the floor and a BIG BIG smile on the face. The car, the engine, the box worked in perfect harmony. Had the 156 I tried earllier been as good as the one I tried this afternoon, I would have bought an ALfa instead of the clio.

But the down side of the car is its lack of room at the back and the relatively high price, the 156 JTSs $268k price is almost the same as a STi. As my fxxking employer is likely to cut our salary again this year, money is a big consideration.

With this in mind, we visited the opel showroom. Do you guys know, opel in HK is now represented by a taiwanese company, and they only import thai made opel, except the omega. Have nothing against the thai, but didnt have mcuh faith about their workmanship, was about to leave, but was stopped after the guy read out his long list of offers. a price cut from $180k to $150k, first year lic, leather interior or LCD with playstation, and six free services. Put everything together, they are selling a thai made 2.2 Zafira for about $120k. What more can one ask? So we decided to have a go, and was impressed. The seats were firm, very german feel and supportive. The 2.2. engine was smooth, responsive and offered good amount of torque from around 2k, all the way up to 4k. Body control was also very good, on par, or even slightly better than 307. The "flex 7" interior was also very clever.

So the winner is the Zafire.

damn ben looks like u n me r out hahah ;P yeh the Thai bit seems a little dodgy tony. I think the JTS is more responsive the 147 is fine but 156 is better i think u like the GTA?

you gotta get me in that GTA mate, but put some seat covers on as brnig some clean pants aswell........;)

indeed the new ford are fantastic! and i applaud their quality.

it seem the mkt is getting higly competitive and i will need to havea serious talk with board to see what we can do so our name comes up in conversation more. Problems with renaults is that they do everything so well that no one thing can be picked up on and criticised. But i know you will have some tony, im talking the NEW cars.

Even with peoples complaints about teh 172, i dont think they realise how much effort was made and where it was concentrated. HK peolpe dont know the history behind the hot hatch and why renault is famous....so they will never understand. build quiality is not the msot important thing to a hot hatch owner. if you could make mine 50% faster, i woudl accept 100% more rattles and squeeks (which would make 2).

anyhow, i think we should spend a day in teh weekend goni around all teh garages testing, looking etc as i dont get a chance her with all the engine rebuilding i do.